• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

Muskulls #1 Posted Mar 23 2019 - 18:08

Private

• Players
  • 1479 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

Trolls need not reply

Apologies to all, I need to vent for a moment and hopefully get some actual solid, supportive, and meaningful direction as to how to improve game play on a casual gamers time limit.

I'm stuck in a mind numbing frustration of playing a game I enjoy but not getting anywhere.

How do I get the most out of casual play time? I have more to my life then just playing this game but it is my relaxation to try to get somewhere with it.

Is there anyone else out there that wants to enjoy the game more, but only have limited time to actually play?

The trolls are horrid, the support is non-existent, the information is vague and only helpful if you play so damned much that everything else is second.

Apologies... I am frustrated that I am not able to even keep up in the WOT game, I want to be a supportive part, but I keep getting kicked about trying to better learn the game mechanics and improve my play.

Anyone else feel like they are the absolute worst player at this?

Are there any groups that have come together to help each other learn, build, and play?

MagillaGuerilla #2 Posted Mar 23 2019 - 18:12

Major

• -Players-
  • 25864 battles
Try WotGuru.com. Cody has tons of info and his Twitch streams are good too. There are also many others that you could watch.

The_Pushok #3 Posted Mar 23 2019 - 18:19

Captain

• -Players-
  • 16057 battles
  • [H-UNT] H-UNT

You only got 1300 battles, lol, believe it or not, it is not uncommon for it to take thousands of battles to start getting it.

I started getting it at about the 4000 mark, but did not really get it until after 7000 battles, but that is also when i started getting for real interested and got a mouse (was using a touch pad), and I started to improve a lot.

The best thing to do as a beginner in my opinion is figure out the maps, where to go and when to go. All maps have a basic flow of where the tank classes go, though you do not start to see these classes until tier 5 really. I found anything below tier 5 frustrating and will rarely play even now, the dynamics are just way different than tier 5 and above, tier 8 is my favorite spot.

There are some great Youtube videos of players, they are very good, but you learn because you see where they are going, and the tactics they use. Also, some clans are good for new players, and can platoon with people to learn.

Front_Towards_Enemy1 #4 Posted Mar 23 2019 - 18:24

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 24156 battles
  • [MASH] MASH

I have turned off team chat, messaging and platooning. Much more enjoyable now as do not have some 12 year old talking trash and how you were the only reason on how the "team" lost. LOL

Now I basically play in single player mode and do the best as can be done in the situation and don't have all the crap.

3bagsfull #5 Posted Mar 23 2019 - 18:38

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 2713 battles

Personally, I'd leave the Chaffee in the garage for a while and look at playing your MT's, HT's and TD's.    Light Tanks have very high expectations of them in any game and they require a skill level the vast majority of new players simply don't possess.   It comes over time for some, and for others it really never comes.

NL_Celt #6 Posted Mar 23 2019 - 19:22

Major

• Players
  • 28786 battles

Not many battles. Crews are probably not the best yet either. Have you got your tanks fully upgraded and equipped? Consumables loaded and put to use?

One thing is that it looks like you haven't gone too far too fast. So you just need to have patience and work through understanding the maps relative to your tank and position in the tier.

Try not to be too aggressive and get caught too much early. Arty will also tend to target the things first spotted. Looking at your tanks it looks like you are only averaging 1-2 pens per game. Need to become harder to hit and get your shots in as well. Use motion and terrain and buildings to make yourself hard to hit, but get the timing down so that you can get in your shots often enough. Don't be scared to abandon a poor situation. If you get caught in a bad spot, try to move away, anywhere, just survive as long as possible. Sometimes you have to just run away. Use bushes correctly and get good at the view range mechanics. Try to let some other tanks do some spotting, especially if you are in a TD or the Lee (hard tank to play when new. It's a TD really). Try to keep some friends around you. Defending a flank alone is never a great idea.

Also agree that the Chaffee can be a challenge to newer players. Scouting is not that easy to do well, especially if you don't know the maps well and the enemy does and he has better camo, etc.

Just a few thoughts. Just have patience. Find a tank that works well for you and that is somewhat forgiving to get you out of any ruts. The KV-1 fit that role pretty good. Tanks like the M4 Sherman and T-34 (57mm gun) are fairly user friendly.

GeorgePreddy #7 Posted Mar 23 2019 - 19:44

Major

• Players
  • 14680 battles

You have less than 1400 battles in 7+ years.

WoT has a long and steep learning curve... you'll have a very difficult time making any real progress playing an average of less than 4 battles per week.

the_Deadly_Bulb #8 Posted Mar 23 2019 - 19:56

Major

• Players
  • 27288 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

View PostGeorgePreddy, on Mar 23 2019 - 10:44, said:

WoT has a long and steep learning curve... you'll have a very difficult time making any real progress playing an average of less than 4 battles per week.

An unfortunate truth for WoT players.

It takes time to build knowledge.

If you play infrequently you're more likely to forget the past lessons.

This can make really learning the intricacies of WoT quite nearly impossible.

DVK9 #9 Posted Mar 23 2019 - 19:57

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 26032 battles
  • [-TX-] -TX-

look I am a casual player. I play the game for fun (which at times seems to disappear).

I know what your going through.

I liked playing a defensive TD. I learned a lot about hiding and camo and bushes the hard way.

I was a slow learner, it took me like 10,000 before I started to know what to really do.

My time in lites is extremely limited but now when I try to play them my aggressive TD mode takes over which isnt good.

You need to find which tank line provides you with the most fun in a game. I found TD's and now (gasp) arty.

Play them all and learn how they work.

Pipinghot #10 Posted Mar 23 2019 - 20:16

Major

• Players
  • 25960 battles
  • [IOC] IOC

View PostMuskulls, on Mar 23 2019 - 12:08, said:

Apologies to all, I need to vent for a moment and hopefully get some actual solid, supportive, and meaningful direction as to how to improve game play on a casual gamers time limit.

Let's start with the bad news - it's practically impossible to get better as a casual. Over the last 7 years you have averaged 4 battles per week, that's barely enough battles to even remember how the controls work, much less achieve any improvement. That's not just WoT, it's any game. Pick any multi-player game you've ever heard of, then try playing that game 1 hour per week, and you will never, ever get better at any of them.

Now the good news, "fun" is subjective. If you want to average 1 hour per week, then you have to make the decision that your idea of fun will not be based on your skill level or your win rate, you have to decide what you find fun about the game and focus on that. Whatever it was that made you want to play WoT is still there, the game is still the game, you have to decide to focus on what makes it fun for you and not even think about things that will frustrate you.

I'm stuck in a mind numbing frustration of playing a game I enjoy but not getting anywhere.
This is pretty much what I mean, if you're enjoying it then why do you need to "get anywhere", if you are enjoying playing then don't frustrate yourself by trying to get someplace that you can't. You will not ever get somewhere being that casual, so there's no point in frustrating yourself by wishing for something you can't have.

How do I get the most out of casual play time? I have more to my life then just playing this game but it is my relaxation to try to get somewhere with it.

You can't have it both ways, that simply will not work.

If you want to get better you have to play more and you have to study more. WoT is not a twitch game that lets you get good purely by reflexes (which is to say it's not a first person shooter), this is a knowledge based game. You have to learn the maps, learn the strengths and weaknesses of your tanks, learn the weak spots on many different tanks that you'll face in the game, learn the game mechanics thoroughly, and so on. Even if you played 30 hours per week you would not become a good player simply by playing battles, WoT is a game that requires homework if you want to get better and win more.

If it's nothing more than your relaxation then just keep doing what you're doing and don't have false expectations. If you want to get better then will need to dedicate time to studying and improving, you can't do it with wishful thinking.

Is there anyone else out there that wants to enjoy the game more, but only have limited time to actually play?

There's a difference between wanting and wishing, you're hoping someone can wave a wand and grant your wish but that simply can't happen. You need to make a choice, continue enjoying the game as a casual player who understands that he cannot get better with casual play, or decide that you're going to spend the time and focus necessary to improve.

The trolls are horrid, the support is non-existent, the information is vague and only helpful if you play so damned much that everything else is second.

If you truly want to improve, there are some very good resources on the forums, but really the first place to start is the game mechanics section of the wiki.

http://wiki.wargamin...attle_Mechanics

Just that one web page alone has enough knowledge in it to keep you busy for a long time. If you want to improve we can help you plan a course of study for yourself to get better at the game, and if you're willing to spend the time I can help you understand how to use that Battle Mechanics page to improve your game play, but you have to be willing to spend the time learning and practicing, no one can make you better if you're not willing to do the work.

Apologies... I am frustrated that I am not able to even keep up in the WOT game, I want to be a supportive part, but I keep getting kicked about trying to better learn the game mechanics and improve my play.

This is a good time to remind you that this would be true in any game. Even in games that support casual play it's hard to be a good contributor to your team if you only play an hour per week. You are on the very extreme end of "casual", you can't get better at any game without at least a little more time spent playing the game.

venom286 #11 Posted Mar 23 2019 - 20:33

Captain

• Players
  • 42878 battles
watch youtube or twitch streams on your phone when ever you can can help i guess other than that nothing i know its like everything else have to practice to get better at it also join a clan go into training rooms learn the maps idk 

Edited by venom286, Mar 23 2019 - 20:34.

SporkBoy #12 Posted Mar 23 2019 - 21:44

Major

• Players
  • 47562 battles
  • [PZB] PZB
Just play only one tank - master that one tank. I suggest T34 and buy T34-85m.

dunniteowl #13 Posted Mar 23 2019 - 22:34

Major

• -Players-
  • 30863 battles

View PostMuskulls, on Mar 23 2019 - 11:08, said:

Trolls need not reply

Anyone else feel like they are the absolute worst player at this?

Are there any groups that have come together to help each other learn, build, and play?

I am NOT a casual gamer.  I like casual wear.

I believe, however, that most folks are doing their best, like to win more than they like to lose and want to occasionally come out on top -- and by this I mean, being the Carry Hero of the match at least from time to time.

I also believe (and have this enforced through experience) that you get out of anything what you're willing to put into it.  How can you do this and still be a casual player?

With a few minutes of your time a few times a week, reading and watching the links provided in this: The WoT Welcome Package (version 1)

Again, I am NOT a casual gamer.  I have rubbed many an elbow with them, however and I think I have the ability to condense the most useful information that I consider Core Essential Information about the game.  I like to offer the analogy of, "Would you be playing Monopoly if you had the board, the money, the cards and game pieces, but no rules and no knowledge of them?"

Of course you wouldn't.  You'd be playing with the parts and peices, but you wouldn't be playing Monopoly.

In my analogy, playing a game without really knowing the rules of the game means you are just pushing pieces around and hoping for a successful outcome.

Now, of course, the game's Objectives in WoT are easy to understand.  Jump in a unit, go blow stuff up, hope your side gets the Victory banner.  This does not mean, however, that you know the rules of the game.  The WWP addresses this shortcoming.

I know, I know, your 'free time' is valuable and you don't have time to read a tech manual before playing.  Sure.  You having a lot of fun right now?  That's a rhetorical question, you're here asking for advice and tips to improve, so the answer is clearly, "No."  So perhaps, the whole, "My time is too valuable," concept is a phrase that, while worthwhile, is being misused in this instance.

If your time is valued -- and, if you get out of things what you put into them -- then spending, say, ten minutes two to three times a week, learning what you don't know might alleviate the frustration to some degree that made you post this.

I play all kinds of games; video games, non-video games, sport related games (Disc Golf, paint ball for example) and I spend a lot of my free time outdoors engaging in past times I find of value.  In each of these cases, I took the time to learn what I need to know to play at least appreciably well so that I don't feel completely out of my element or like I'm the guy at the bottom of the barrel.

So, as you are asking to be out from the bottom of the figurative barrel, perhaps your time is valuable enough to spend some bit of time learning the game mechanics, reading up on how to make your crew more effective and watching some first rate video links that will help you improve your play, no matter what level you are -- if you are willing to spend some of your game time casually learning more about it.

GL, HF & HSYBF!
OvO

Edited by dunniteowl, Mar 24 2019 - 22:10.

Gothraul #14 Posted Mar 24 2019 - 02:08

Major

• -Players-
  • 2426 battles
Would be a huge improvement is co-op was added to the game preferably without stats so people can just enjoy their tanks without having to endure crashing win rates every time there happens to be red tides.

Diesel__2 #15 Posted Mar 24 2019 - 17:39

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 4837 battles

All you high stat players say this....."WoT's has a steep learning curve".  I think that's a fantasy statement said to give some bolster to your stats.  Sure, there is practice involved but if you buy your way into an OP tank, load OP ammo , learn the maps a bit and you can bring your stats up also.    I'm tired of this kind of talk.  It's like any other thing someone gets good at ......not a steep learning curve as much as it is practice.   Math being the exception ;)

JustNotFatal #16 Posted Mar 24 2019 - 18:05

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 6138 battles

So I play in spurts (meaning like a week of heavy play and then nothing for a week or more). WoT has several things against it that makes it almost impossible to do well/consistent if you don't play regularly. This game is a long grind to get a lot of things that you just need unless you want to pay for some of it.

To give you an example I felt like I could actually do something with my fully kitted out M41D (payed for with rl money) compared to my not so kitted out AMX 13 75 (that I've grinded). My skill or map knowledge didn't suddenly go up but my equipment did. You can't make that progress unless you play a lot.

My suggestion is to just not care about anything or anyone and play for fun.

Edited by JustNotFatal, Mar 24 2019 - 18:06.

JimJ0nes #17 Posted Mar 24 2019 - 20:43

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 21774 battles

No one has said it so I guess I’ll have to.........

git gud

Now go take on the day.

Waarheid #18 Posted Mar 25 2019 - 01:12

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 15778 battles

Pick the tier 2 tank that you have the most fun in. Play 100-150 more games in it, then move up to tier 3 in that line. 

Repeat this for each tier. 

Learn the tank. 

Learn the maps. 

Allow your crew to become trained. 

And most importantly pay attention to the mistakes that you and others make. Learn from them. 

Edited by Waarheid, Mar 25 2019 - 01:14.

Pipinghot #19 Posted Mar 25 2019 - 02:31

Major

• Players
  • 25960 battles
  • [IOC] IOC

View PostDiesel__2, on Mar 24 2019 - 11:39, said:

All you high stat players say this....."WoT's has a steep learning curve".  I think that's a fantasy statement said to give some bolster to your stats.

1) It's obviously true, or you'd have better stats.

2) It's obviously true, or there wouldn't be so many threads on the forums from people complaining about how hard it is to get better and/or looking for advice on improving.

I think that's a fantasy statement said to give some bolster to your stats.

Just the opposite, you want to bolster your ego by pretending that you're better at the game than you really are. Self honesty is the only way to improve.

but if you buy your way into an OP tank, load OP ammo

I guarantee that wouldn't work as well as you think it would. Feel free to try and prove me wrong, it's harder than you think.

learn the maps a bit

So... maybe you don't understand that learning the maps is part of the process of getting better. The more you learn the maps the more that will help you improve, because of course it will.

It's like any other thing someone gets good at ......not a steep learning curve as much as it is practice.

Tell that to all of the people with 10k+ battles who still can't get above an average win rate. People can get a little better by simply playing the game, but only a little.

Edited by Pipinghot, Mar 25 2019 - 02:32.

Blackstone #20 Posted Mar 25 2019 - 18:05

Major

• -Players-
  • 21413 battles

I have a few suggestions:

1. pick a tank line and stick with it for a while: personally, I think the US tank line is a good all-around one to learn on. Decent guns, great hull down, fairly mobile. A good line to learn the basics, but YMMMV.

2. learn the basics (or How Does This Work): there are a lot of YouTubers out there to where you can learn the basics of tanking. Guido1212 was a HUGE help for me when I asked. Circon, QuickyBaby, and Claus Kellerman are great too (I think Claus is hilarious personally). Basics would include how to side scrape, hull down techniques, and how cover and concealment work.

2A. learn the maps (or Where Am I and Where Do I Go): you can get the same info on the aforementioned YouTubers above. Learning where to be and not to be on each map is very important.

Sub 2A. USE THE MINI MAP. 'nuff said.

3. Know your role: the different tank types are pretty well-defined. But it can be a little more than that. What if your in a medium tank, but top tier? Heavy tank and bottom tier? the only light on your team? Six TDs on each side? You need to be tactical and use that time when the countdown is going on and see A) what your team has B) what the enemy team has and C) what is the map. This will help you at least from the start if you need to be up front with the battle or more of a support role.

4. practice practice practice: the ONLY way you can get better is to play more. I'm sorry, but there's no other way to put it. Unless you're some kind of wunderkind, 4 games a week isn't gonna cut it. You need to take that number, multiply it by a factor of FIVE, and play that many matches 3-5 times a week. No kidding. And I think I maybe low-balling it here too.

Hope this helps a good luck.

Edited by Blackstone, Mar 25 2019 - 18:10.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users