Proposed SPG changes: Why they are a bad idea as presented.

• Please log in to reply
123 replies to this topic

the_Deadly_Bulb #61 Posted Mar 24 2019 - 18:33

Major

• Players
  • 27288 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

View Post2MOEJOE, on Mar 23 2019 - 17:40, said:

I don't care.

Sure you do, or you wouldn't have typed those 3 words.

You also wouldn't be posting in so many arty threads.

HeraldricKnight #62 Posted Mar 24 2019 - 18:33

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 7598 battles

View PostRed_Miles, on Mar 24 2019 - 01:22, said:

I am posting at the urging of a friend...

Is all the more reason not to take you seriously. 

If you're unable to give your own opinions without hiding behind the guise of a mask, why should anyone bother considering reading past this sentence phrase.

Seditious #63 Posted Mar 24 2019 - 18:35

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 216 battles

View PostcKy_, on Mar 24 2019 - 05:38, said:

A white family that is

You are a pretentious little female body part huh?  Not even funny to watch your antics, just sad we have to carry you along.  Maybe you can sort this out, your a prime example of how the world is not a better place.

AppleTank8 #64 Posted Mar 24 2019 - 19:00

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 19412 battles

Idle thought from the TF2 balancing hell that was the Natasha and the Sandman: The big problem with those weapons was that people hated being slowed down. Being nerfed in general sucked. Even if everyone had that option, everyone flinging Sandman balls everywhere would piss everyone off. Buffing allies however, complaints there are much rarer, so you see healing and invincibility and bonus damage and so on. Jarate is a great example, the target is debuffed, but if nobody attacks him, nothing happens.

How about instead of nerfing the enemies, SPG's buffed your allies? "Stunned" targets will receive max damage rolls from those who shoot them. Stunned guy can still fight just as effectively if he gets the drop on someone, but allies still get a benefit if they fight back. Dunno if making the Stunned target have low damage rolls will be considered too much.

Edited by AppleTank8, Mar 24 2019 - 19:01.

Red_Miles #65 Posted Mar 24 2019 - 19:21

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 2646 battles

View PostWhiteBishop, on Mar 24 2019 - 18:33, said:

Is all the more reason not to take you seriously. 

If you're unable to give your own opinions without hiding behind the guise of a mask, why should anyone bother considering reading past this sentence phrase.

I have no idea what you mean by 'behind the guise of a mask.'  I've already stated that this is the only account I have.  If you mean 'because my friend urged me to,' well - I'm afraid I can't do anything about the fact that my friend's infectious optimism made me think posting my criticisms of the decision here would accomplish anything except make anti-arty players happier.  If you think that's reason to disregard what I posted - you do you, I can't change the fact that you think my friend telling me to post my thoughts somehow invalidates them.

Altwar #66 Posted Mar 24 2019 - 20:09

Major

• Players
  • 58299 battles
  • [-GNR-] -GNR-

View PostcKy_, on Mar 23 2019 - 19:51, said:

That's because the typical artillery player doesn't know enough about the game to complain. They have absolutely no clue what's going on. Look at WhineMaker or SchudleBop or whatever his name is. 

One of them thinks that Blitz is an appropriate alternative to PC WoT.

The other thinks that to outplay someone, one has to simply shoot them (just once, not even kill them, just shoot them).

So when you've nothing to add to the topic, you take personal shots?   tsk, tsk, just a waste of forum space IMO.   Tell me how it is that you know about the typical SPG player when the typical player of any class in the game likely doesn't even come to the forum but instead just plays the game?

WoT Blitz is on Steam and playable on the PC and it has no SPGs and thus is an alternative for those who want to play tanks with no SPGs.  Playing in the training room is also an option although the caveat is that it is at your own credit and consumable expense and the stats don't count.

Altwar #67 Posted Mar 24 2019 - 20:12

Major

• Players
  • 58299 battles
  • [-GNR-] -GNR-

View PostcKy_, on Mar 23 2019 - 20:38, said:

A white family that is

Inappropriate, ignorant and really has no place upon the forum.  Keep racial overtures off this forum please.

cKy_ #68 Posted Mar 24 2019 - 23:20

Major

• -Players-
  • 4339 battles
  • [PUBBY] PUBBY

View PostOmega_Weapon, on Mar 25 2019 - 02:34, said:

Over 11 000 battles played in tiers 7, 8 and 9, so yeah I have experience receiving stun from arty. But good try at deflecting from the issue by calling out my low tier games. If you did understand the video then you are deliberately misrepresenting the changes to push an anti-arty agenda. Happens on the forum all the time though so can't say I'm too surprised.

And how can you prove that those battles weren't played before 9.18, seeing as though you started playing in 2011?

cKy_ #69 Posted Mar 24 2019 - 23:23

Major

• -Players-
  • 4339 battles
  • [PUBBY] PUBBY

View PostAltwar, on Mar 25 2019 - 07:12, said:

Inappropriate, ignorant and really has no place upon the forum.  Keep racial overtures off this forum please.

If you think that was ignorant, you need to do a little research on your countries history.

And, please, stay on topic.

cKy_ #70 Posted Mar 24 2019 - 23:24

Major

• -Players-
  • 4339 battles
  • [PUBBY] PUBBY

View PostAltwar, on Mar 25 2019 - 07:09, said:

So when you've nothing to add to the topic, you take personal shots?   tsk, tsk, just a waste of forum space IMO.   Tell me how it is that you know about the typical SPG player when the typical player of any class in the game likely doesn't even come to the forum but instead just plays the game?

WoT Blitz is on Steam and playable on the PC and it has no SPGs and thus is an alternative for those who want to play tanks with no SPGs.  Playing in the training room is also an option although the caveat is that it is at your own credit and consumable expense and the stats don't count.

So you also think Blitz is an appropriate alternative to WoT PC? Tsk tsk, just a waste of forum space.

redjkent #71 Posted Mar 25 2019 - 00:00

Captain

• -Players-
  • 94614 battles
  • [Y2KBB] Y2KBB
i can see this thread turned negative, since a certain reroll had to chime in and give his opinion, so negative all the time

3bagsfull #72 Posted Mar 25 2019 - 00:02

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 2713 battles

View PostRed_Miles, on Mar 24 2019 - 01:22, said:

......In the case of the former, artillery is frequently treated as a disposable commodity by many teams, undeserving of any dedicated protection by their teammates.  This is unfortunate, because this is exactly the attitude that armored cars exist to exploit.  They are very fast, very hard to hit targets, especially for artillery acting in self-defense.  The number of times I have been deleted from a game within the first 5 minutes of it by an armored car that then proceeds to kill all the other artillery in the back lines before zooming back out while our teammates are preoccupied is quite high.  This was exactly the behavior that the ELC bis was nerfed away from being able to commit to, but the armored cars do everything the ELC bis used to do, and do it even bigger and better than it did when fully upgraded.

The point isn't to whine about armored cars, the point is that their mere existence in a match leaves the often unprotected and ignored artillery at a severe disadvantage.

In short: We die fast and often against even middling armored car players.  Our only contribution is frequently the stun damage we inflict, which is then negated with a FAK the second the debuff becomes crucial in helping stop the stunned tank.......

I'm just going to comment on this section.   I'll give you the perspective of a real life artilleryman as I spent 15 years in Field Artillery.

1)  Artillery is not protected, it is supporting a fluid front and moves with that front (North, South, East or West).   In other words once you get into your first position you should already be mentally prepared to move.   In real life, even an average joe can easily discern enough information from an inbound artillery shell impact to give their own forces all the information they need to zero in on where that shot came from - fast.      

2)  When a flank falls, if you are not already gone you are DEAD (and most likely your Forward Observer is dead too).    You are too slow, unarmored, fire too damn slow and do not have the gun sight and turret needed to track targets with.    

3)  Real SPG's actually dig in with spades, to let the earth absorb the vast majority of the recoil those big guns produce.    Once you drive off spades and think you can fire willy-nilly you are nuts - you will likely seriously damage your carriage in short order.   It's not a tank, it's artillery - it uses MASSIVE charges to make those rounds fly as far as they do and with that brings MASSIVE recoil forces.   Your equilibrator seals will scream like a banshee till they simply tap out.

When you hit "Battle" in WoT know two things:

1)  YOU are responsible for your own protection and that starts at the battle countdown screen.   Read the minimap, understand the flow of the battle and read when you need to get out of dodge.  

2)  If the enemy gets past your forces in the area you occupy, you are dead.   Your only hope is that the enemy is absolutely stupid enough to drive straight towards your muzzle break - and even then you've already been spotted and should expect your peers on the other team to be licking the Cheetos off their fingers, popping a cold one and singing Here Comes the Rain.

Altwar #73 Posted Mar 25 2019 - 01:02

Major

• Players
  • 58299 battles
  • [-GNR-] -GNR-

View PostcKy_, on Mar 24 2019 - 14:23, said:

If you think that was ignorant, you need to do a little research on your countries history.

And, please, stay on topic.

Racial overtures are overtures and have no business on the forum.   Stereotyping, which you did, also does not.  I'll address this no further as I see no point in promoting your ignorance.

View PostcKy_, on Mar 24 2019 - 14:24, said:

So you also think Blitz is an appropriate alternative to WoT PC? Tsk tsk, just a waste of forum space.

Using my words shows you have no thoughts of your own to present as counter point.  I'd wager because you have none and seek to exhibit trollish behavior as your only resort to remain in the conversation.

Whether you think World of Tank Blitz on Steam is an appropriate alternative to World of Tanks matters not.  It is an option where you can play tanks on the pc with no SPGs in game and thus, is an actual alternative to World of Tanks.   The training room in World of Tanks is also an alternative as you can pick the compositions of the teams you want on the maps you want and have your idea battle, though you don't earn credits, xps or consumables.

Proposed SPG changes are not a good idea as proposed and I suggest that mediums, lights, TDs and SPGs will be increasingly focused on as targets that will yield a hit of substantial damage over heavies.   But there are players who repeatedly come to complain again and again about the same issue and eventually the squeaky door will get some oil.

cKy_ #74 Posted Mar 25 2019 - 01:11

Major

• -Players-
  • 4339 battles
  • [PUBBY] PUBBY

View PostAltwar, on Mar 25 2019 - 12:02, said:

Racial overtures are overtures and have no business on the forum.   Stereotyping, which you did, also does not.  I'll address this no further as I see no point in promoting your ignorance.

Using my words shows you have no thoughts of your own to present as counter point.  I'd wager because you have none and seek to exhibit trollish behavior as your only resort to remain in the conversation.

Whether you think World of Tank Blitz on Steam is an appropriate alternative to World of Tanks matters not.  It is an option where you can play tanks on the pc with no SPGs in game and thus, is an actual alternative to World of Tanks.   The training room in World of Tanks is also an alternative as you can pick the compositions of the teams you want on the maps you want and have your idea battle, though you don't earn credits, xps or consumables.

Proposed SPG changes are not a good idea as proposed and I suggest that mediums, lights, TDs and SPGs will be increasingly focused on as targets that will yield a hit of substantial damage over heavies.   But there are players who repeatedly come to complain again and again about the same issue and eventually the squeaky door will get some oil.

Oof ignorant

Omega_Weapon #75 Posted Mar 25 2019 - 02:26

Major

• Players
  • 52912 battles
  • [GRIEF] GRIEF

View PostVeracks, on Mar 24 2019 - 10:07, said:

You seem to misunderstand. When there's no arty in a match, there are far more options you can take in terms of flanking or so on. These points become absolutely impossible to use if arty is in the game. These "risky" spots are only "risky" because arty is actively forcing people to stay in the corridors instead of moving around. A good example of this is how you have a LOT more options on Studzianki. You can flex a lot more on that map if arty isn't around, but good luck doing anything but hugging buildings if there's 3 arty.

Okay, that makes a little more sense. Still, in order for arty to see you, you have to be caught in the direct line of sight for one of the enemy players right? (or proxy spotted within 50m). If you are not being spotted the arty is rolling the dice and taking a guess. Blind fire on a guess can work sometimes, but it is a wasted shot more often than not. 

3bagsfull #76 Posted Mar 25 2019 - 02:38

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 2713 battles

View PostOmega_Weapon, on Mar 25 2019 - 01:26, said:

Okay, that makes a little more sense. Still, in order for arty to see you, you have to be caught in the direct line of sight for one of the enemy players right? (or proxy spotted within 50m). If you are not being spotted the arty is rolling the dice and taking a guess. Blind fire on a guess can work sometimes, but it is a wasted shot more often than not. 

And what exactly is the problem with that?    A blind fire is a blind fire for all 15 players.    Blind fires when you know where to fire takes skill - no matter the class of the vehicle the player is playing.    It's not an exact science, but you really see the value of it with people who really know the maps.

Omega_Weapon #77 Posted Mar 25 2019 - 02:46

Major

• Players
  • 52912 battles
  • [GRIEF] GRIEF

View PostcKy_, on Mar 24 2019 - 17:20, said:

And how can you prove that those battles weren't played before 9.18, seeing as though you started playing in 2011?

Prove? What is this? A trial? Most of them would obviously be earlier, and I play higher tiers much less since 3/5/7, but I still have tier 7, 8 and 9 tanks I bring out when I need to grind XP for completing the mission marathons. I don't have anything like an exact number, but trust that it's enough to understand the topic at hand.

nickzapper #78 Posted Mar 25 2019 - 03:12

Private

• -Players-
  • 17292 battles
  • [H-UNT] H-UNT
If WoT continue to screw arty I'll seriously stop spending my money on this game. I invested lot of time on some of my tanks and this is amazing BS. I like to play both arty and standard tanks and this just ruined half of my game. Longer loading time is more than obvious, I would say less precise too and lower stunt. Amazingly irritating and clearly showcase how WoT cannot balance this game without making some of the players upset. I don't even want to talk about gold ammo and monster tanks on other side. If game development continues this way I'm out.

Edited by nickzapper, Mar 25 2019 - 03:13.

BEASTY_BUCKEYE #79 Posted Mar 25 2019 - 14:02

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 37284 battles
Theses changes are a good thing. So tired of 3 arty xvm focusing me and splashing me to death just for trying to progress across the battle field, even when I am well into cover you still get hit for 3 to 5 hundred damage from splash. As it is right now there is know where safe, unless you sit at the red line and camp. Arty is promoting camping and that is not good, time for a change.

24cups #80 Posted Mar 25 2019 - 14:27

Major

• Players
  • 24431 battles
  • [D-DAY] D-DAY

View PostcKy_, on Mar 24 2019 - 19:11, said:

Oof ignorant

Great comeback Potsy.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users