Specific Arty Changes?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

LordLayton10 #1 Posted Mar 24 2019 - 18:33

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 7166 battles
  • [_GOW_] _GOW_

Like many of you I am excited that SOME change is coming to artillery. Love it or hate it I think we all agree it needs a change. I, like many of you, am also VERY worried about how WG will implement this change.

Implementing big changes in a game this complicated makes me think of breakdancing in a minefield. There are so many conflicting parties to try and please. The announcement thus far amounts to a pretty hefty nerf to arty, which despite the celebrations of many, really sucks for arty players. Along with the announcement is the promise that the stats of the SPG’s themselves will be reworked to make artillery more fun both for those that play them and play against them. (Paraphrased from the announcement.)

I’ve been thinking through what those changes may be, and I believe that the main change that WG will implement is a significant reduction in arty reload times. I think that the damage and stun reduction, as well as the reduction in repeat stun times all point to this. In particular the repeat stun time reduction is supposed to discourage arty focus on a single player. I think WG wants to make arty more fun to play by letting them take more shots ( though less effective ones), and relieving other player’s frustration with artyby encouraging arty to spread those shots around instead of crapping all over the same tank all match. 

Pure speculation at this point, but do you guys think I’m right? Why or why not? Also,would you agree with this change? Why or why not?

Edited by LordLayton10, Mar 24 2019 - 18:50.

stalkervision #2 Posted Mar 24 2019 - 18:52

Major

• Players
  • 65663 battles
Here is the problem. Arty player's can only fire at what is spotted. Often because of corridor maps it is only a few tanks. Then if one shoots tanks that aren't being attacked by your team,you know because we are a (support class) now your damage and experience is drastically cut.

WeSayNotToday #3 Posted Mar 24 2019 - 18:53

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 22511 battles

View PostLordLayton10, on Mar 24 2019 - 18:33, said:

Like many of you I am excited that SOME change is coming to artillery. Love it or hate it I think we all agree it needs a change.

No, we do not all agree on that, at all.

Block Quote

I, like many of you, am also VERY worried about how WG will implement this change.

Implementing big changes in a game this complicated makes me think of breakdancing in a minefield. There are so many conflicting parties to try and please. The announcement thus far amounts to a pretty hefty nerf to arty, which despite the celebrations of many, really sucks for arty players. Along with the announcement is the promise that the stats of the SPG’s themselves will be reworked to make artillery more fun both for those that play them and play against them. (Paraphrased from the announcement.)

I’ve been thinking through what those changes may be, and I believe that the main change that WG will implement is a significant reduction in arty reload times. I think that the damage and stun reduction, as well as the reduction in repeat stun times all point to this. In particular the repeat stun time reduction is supposed to discourage arty focus on a single player. I think WG wants to make arty more fun to play by letting them take more shots ( though less effective ones), and relieving other player’s frustration with artyby encouraging arty to spread those shots around instead of crapping all over the same tank all match. 

Pure speculation at this point, but do you guys think I’m right? Why or why not? Also,would you agree with this change? Why or why not?

Unknown, but the bolded metaphor is somewhat apt.

Rawrlynn #4 Posted Mar 24 2019 - 19:05

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 31296 battles
  • [IRIS] IRIS

well considering all the cons of playing arty vs those playing against arty the cons to arty class is huge compared.  

they could :

increase artillery mobility

shorten reload times

shorten aiming speed

increase HP/armor 

shorten shot range

reduce dispersion even more (still one of the hardest classes to get good direct hits) 

increase penetration with a further reduction of damage.

reduce stun and splash

give artillery a higher arc so they can be useful on all the city corridor maps also.

increase artillery penetration/damage to range  (so if they have to shotgun a tank at close range they get full pen and damage so they can actually save themselves instead of having to rely on team mates that don't give 2 [edited]if they live or die.)

Arty has been severely nerfed with all the introductions of the newer corridor maps. unlike every other tank which can be highly useful on those maps like paris and himmelsdorf, artillery is just wasted there and a slap in the face to the players that get them there. on rare occasions an artillery may do decent there but it's few and far between because of the map layout. 

Artillery can't do much without the rest of the team. which is why I don't understand why all the hate. (I hate being shot by anything but it happens)  

Artillery can't find their own targets ( almost all of them have super sub par view range) 

they have in many cases no mobility 

so there are tons of places that can be improved/adjusted only time will tell if WG improves the class or just makes it worse to play.   

excited for the changes, not really

I miss the old arty to be honest from both sides of the argument.  

ClydeCooper421 #5 Posted Mar 24 2019 - 19:52

Major

• -Players-
  • 14727 battles
  • [LOAF] LOAF

View PostRawrlynn, on Mar 24 2019 - 10:05, said:

Artillery can't do much without the rest of the team. which is why I don't understand why all the hate. (I hate being shot by anything but it happens)  

Artillery can't find their own targets ( almost all of them have super sub par view range) 

Arty doesn't need view range because they can shoot at tanks on the other side of the map, beyond render range, and over mountains. 

Sure, 1 v 1 arty are very weak, but for the majority of the battle duration, they're firing from the back of the map with no risk of retaliation. 

heavymetal1967 #6 Posted Mar 24 2019 - 20:45

Major

• Players
  • 70283 battles
  • [HSOLO] HSOLO

Who knows, but it seems it's gonna be more than just additional stun that is getting changed.  And they may tweak the changes detailed in the article. 

Key word in all this is of course "seems", because we all know WG's track history as well as to allow for translation differences.

They're also cutting splash radius 5% for some arty - not all as many think.  Which ones are detailed in the article.  Also all the arty listed are arty that get prem HE shells (at least with the top guns), so I'm guessing those rounds will be adjusted as well.

And a few arty have been mentioned as getting additional changes.  Conq GC's shell speed, GWP getting a slight reload buff, and slight accuracy nerf and a slight nerf on turret dispersion.  It's also one of the arty getting it's splash cut by five percent.

Also all minimum stun times will be lowered just by virtue of their formula change detailed in the article.

Back to additional unspecified changes.

Stun was added as a trade off for loss of alpha and pen (as well as solid ball ammo).  So a RoF increase to compensate may follow.  Possibly another accuracy increase tweak since they're cutting the splash formula as well - also detailed in the article.

They may also change (raise the percentage)  how stun assist is credited for those players inflicting the additional stun time.  Current scheme here (xp formula towards the end),  https://na.wargaming.net/support/en/products/wot/article/19514/

Anyhoo, snippets from the article, https://worldoftanks.com/en/news/updates/spg-rebalancing-032119/

Emphasis and de-emphasis on some things by me.

Block Quote

Our adjustments will consist of several large blocks. First we're planning to reduce the duration of the stun from all artillery hits on already stunned vehicles.

These changes will affect different SPGs in different ways, depending on the settings of these machines and their current combat effectiveness. That is why we're planning to change the performance characteristics of individual SPGs in order to tune their effectiveness after the announced changes take effect.

So it seems (again key word) their changes will be put out piece meal and adjusted along the way based on their current combat effectiveness aka performance statistics.  And not everything will be class-wide as some pieces may received individual changes.

If that's the case it's not too much of a stretch to think they'll be some counter-buffs to compensate or possible rolling back of any thing they balance (whether a nerf/buff) that they (another key word) feel needs readdressed. 

Or they may do a one off and the listed changes will be it.  At least until the if and when "next" re-balance.

Edited by heavymetal1967, Mar 24 2019 - 20:55.

3bagsfull #7 Posted Mar 24 2019 - 20:53

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 2713 battles

View PostRawrlynn, on Mar 24 2019 - 18:05, said:

well considering all the cons of playing arty vs those playing against arty the cons to arty class is huge compared.  

they could :

increase artillery mobility

shorten reload times

shorten aiming speed

increase HP/armor 

shorten shot range

reduce dispersion even more (still one of the hardest classes to get good direct hits) 

increase penetration with a further reduction of damage.

reduce stun and splash

give artillery a higher arc so they can be useful on all the city corridor maps also.

increase artillery penetration/damage to range  (so if they have to shotgun a tank at close range they get full pen and damage so they can actually save themselves instead of having to rely on team mates that don't give 2 [edited]if they live or die.)

Arty has been severely nerfed with all the introductions of the newer corridor maps. unlike every other tank which can be highly useful on those maps like paris and himmelsdorf, artillery is just wasted there and a slap in the face to the players that get them there. on rare occasions an artillery may do decent there but it's few and far between because of the map layout. 

so there are tons of places that can be improved/adjusted only time will tell if WG improves the class or just makes it worse to play.   

excited for the changes, not really

I miss the old arty to be honest from both sides of the argument.  

Nobody plays against arty, they play against other tanks.   Arty only becomes a target when the other tanks are removed, the vision control of the enemy tanks have been compromised and vehicles can go "arty hunting" without fear of getting annihilated by triangulation.   In most games, by the time that state has been reached in the game it's already essentially over anyway - arty is "isle 9" and the cleanup crew is arriving.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users