RANT!

Rant

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

The_Illusive_Man #1 Posted Mar 27 2019 - 23:12

Major

• -Players-
  • 13377 battles

So, recently I decided yet again to call it quits. However, this time ive decided to stay around, engage with people, and even make mods. Why havent I just left the game, and the community entirely? Because I plan on coming back.

My plans on coming back though rely on one thing:

Not MM fixed

Not Arty nerfed/ removed

Not tanks removed/ rebalanced.

Rather, I want to see the devs come to their senses, and at least try to come into the modern world. I want to see the turnaround time of fixes/ improvements to be DRASTICALLY reduced. Currently, it can take 2 YEARS for WG to even CONSIDER fixing issues. Whether those issues are with the game itself (such as the broken MM), or with stuff the community doesnt like (Such as tank balance/ SPG issues). 

Now, to put this time frame into perspective: Apex Legends, a recent game made by Respawn (released on the 4th of February), had a very annoying crash issue. It did take them awhile to acknowledge the issue (2 weeks I think). But, they released a major patch (season 1), which also included some stability stuff. Before this, I was crashing every 2-5 games (YES, it was that bad), Now, I havnt crashed since. 

So, now that that is in perspective, how long should WG take to even acknowledge an issue? 1 month. Thats it. Anything more is unreasonable. Now, this isnt fixing the issue (That would be nice), but just releasing an official announcement stating that they acknowledge the issue, and are looking to fix it. Now, how long should the fix take? Based on modern standards? 3 months for all but the most core issues (like needing to fully rewrite the game). Those core issues should only take 1 year to fix. Maybe 1 and a half years, depends on the staff count, and the complexity of the game.

TL ; DR: WG takes too long to fix things, am waiting for that to change.

Edited by The_Illusive_Man, Mar 27 2019 - 23:12.

Cowcat137 #2 Posted Mar 27 2019 - 23:18

Major

• -Players-
  • 15852 battles
  • [HHOUR] HHOUR

Cheer up, we can get that waiting time down under 18 months. I'm sure of it.

Ortinoth_ #3 Posted Mar 27 2019 - 23:19

Captain

• Players
  • 27983 battles
  • [SEGA] SEGA
And this is a rant because?

Insanefriend #4 Posted Mar 27 2019 - 23:23

Major

• Players
  • 49857 battles

Where I agree they take a long time to fix things, they do tend to fix things that prevent you from playing the game just as fast as other games.  I mean how many crashes do you get in a month of WoT?  Excluding heavily modded clients.  Balance problems are something they really need to work faster on looking into and fixing when they come up.

They are changing spgs, but they are not the bane of the world game ruining things you think they are.  I don't understand why so many people hate on spgs, the only time they are even a problem is when there are three in a battle.  Anything less and for the most part you can ignore them as not being more then slightly annoying.  If your cowering in fear of arty you need to remember it's just a game and chances are your going to blow up no matter what.

MM also isn't a huge game breaking end of the world problem.  It's power difference between tiers that is the bigger problem.  If tanks didn't gain 25% or more power per tier the plus two tier mm wouldn't be a problem.  It really boils down to they need to work on quickly doing tank balance changes.  These changes are something that should happen a lot more, as is most tanks don't get touched for months after a problem with balance arises.  

Edited by Insanefriend, Mar 27 2019 - 23:24.

The_Illusive_Man #5 Posted Mar 27 2019 - 23:30

Major

• -Players-
  • 13377 battles

View PostInsanefriend, on Mar 27 2019 - 19:23, said:

Where I agree they take a long time to fix things, they do tend to fix things that prevent you from playing the game just as fast as other games.  I mean how many crashes do you get in a month of WoT?  Excluding heavily modded clients.  Balance problems are something they really need to work faster on looking into and fixing when they come up.

They are changing spgs, but they are not the bane of the world game ruining things you think they are.  I don't understand why so many people hate on spgs, the only time they are even a problem is when there are three in a battle.  Anything less and for the most part you can ignore them as not being more then slightly annoying.  If your cowering in fear of arty you need to remember it's just a game and chances are your going to blow up no matter what.

MM also isn't a huge game breaking end of the world problem.  It's power difference between tiers that is the bigger problem.  If tanks didn't gain 25% or more power per tier the plus two tier mm wouldn't be a problem.  It really boils down to they need to work on quickly doing tank balance changes.  These changes are something that should happen a lot more, as is most tanks don't get touched for months after a problem with balance arises.  

1: 

They took a VERY long time fixing that sound bug... I call that game breaking.

2:

I never said anything about the arty issue.... Thats all on you... (I only implied there was an issue)

3:

MM is technically broken. It may be fine for people that dont mind being bottom tier 80 - 90% of the time, but for me, and alot of others, it isnt fun.

(You seem to think its only a perceived issue, but in reality, WG did say that the backend is broken).

EDIT: The tank balancing issue is agreeable to be bigger than the MM issue.... But rebalancing tanks is irrelevent if the MM they have to be in doesnt work..... (I missed this somehow in your response... :P)

You took this way out of proportion. First time ive seen you do that.....

View PostOrtinoth_, on Mar 27 2019 - 19:19, said:

And this is a rant because?

Um, because I ranted about something? Not all rants look alike (despite what this forum might make you think....)

View PostYANKEE137, on Mar 27 2019 - 19:18, said:

Cheer up, we can get that waiting time down under 18 months. I'm sure of it.

18 months is better than 2 years... But still not even close to good enough....

Edited by The_Illusive_Man, Mar 27 2019 - 23:40.

JakeTheMystic #6 Posted Mar 28 2019 - 00:06

Major

• Players
  • 25235 battles

Technical issues are a lot easier to fix than balance issues. 

Server problems, FPS issues, ping spikes, hit registry, ect can be fixed fairly easy as it's just server side stuff. BF4 had an atrocious multiplayer at launch date, every server was crashing constantly and players were seemingly flying around the map. PUBG had issues with server connectivity and player hit registry, same with Rainbow Six Siege. All of these issues took a few weeks to get worked out (PUBG still has issues after major updates). It did take a couple of months to get the Siege issues fixed though, the supposed "Operation Health" update ended up breaking more things than fixing them. 

WOT doesn't have many issues in that respect. Server issues are rare and most of the accusations are actually player side, WG can't really do much about that. When it comes to balancing, games typically take a couple of months to test it and work it out, it took siege at least a year before shotguns were reworked (and they had to reworked two additional times after that). Balance is hard in a first person shooter because a little too much would make it stupidly OP and a little too much the other way would make it completely useless to use. 

You also can't just rework things in the game based on the opinions from the forums, as they are often biased and don't carry a true perspective to how the player-base feels. Even in the surveys they send out, the only people who take the time to fill them out are the ones with a strong opinion towards an upcoming update or current features in the game, making the poll biased and thus useless to an extent. WG tries to rely on statistics, if a tank is under-performing or over-performing, they collect data over a couple of months and make needed adjustments unless there are only a small batch of tests. In cases like the E100 or Leopard, not many people take the time to grind those lines or play them in pubs, making the statistic count lower for the tank than expected. 

Some things like arty are also so embedded into the game at this point (with the missions and premiums) that they are basically anchored into the game and will never be removed. 

I personally only want more direction towards competitive play (rank battles, clan wars, gold league, tournaments, ect.) Instead, WG has removed gold league, removed tournaments (for a period, brought them back for now but they are broken half the time and the mods don't follow their own regulations during others). Clan wars was focused towards top clans with making it tier 10 only and made it difficult for smaller or developing clans to participate. 

They removed any sort of "endgame" from World of Tanks and made it solely focused of the stupidity of pub matches where players are forced to beat their heads against a brick wall until they finally give up on trying to play the game. 

Insanefriend #7 Posted Mar 28 2019 - 00:06

Major

• Players
  • 49857 battles

View PostThe_Illusive_Man, on Mar 27 2019 - 16:30, said:

1:  They took a VERY long time fixing that sound bug... I call that game breaking.

2: I never said anything about the arty issue.... Thats all on you... (I only implied there was an issue)

The no hit sound bug was annoying but it didn't stop you from playing the game.  It wasn't crashing computers and only effected about 30% of all hits in game.  But game breaking is a stretch, more game breaking were things are like the out of bound hill climbs which technically took them longer to fix then the sound bug.  Even then in most cases you could play around the hill climbs.

Any one that says nerf/remove arty is normally someone that gets very annoyed by it.  Other wise why even bring it up?  You must view it as some sort of problem that needs addressing.

I'm not sure what you mean by mm doesn't work?  Yes you get bottom tier more but being bottom is only a real problem due to the above mentioned power difference per tier.  If the top tanks were only about 20% better overall rather then the 50% they are now would it be as much of a problem?  The power creep as is is why I hate being top tier, the game is just too easy when your 50% stronger then all the tanks you run into.

The_Illusive_Man #8 Posted Mar 28 2019 - 00:12

Major

• -Players-
  • 13377 battles

View PostInsanefriend, on Mar 27 2019 - 20:06, said:

The no hit sound bug was annoying but it didn't stop you from playing the game.  It wasn't crashing computers and only effected about 30% of all hits in game.  But game breaking is a stretch, more game breaking were things are like the out of bound hill climbs which technically took them longer to fix then the sound bug.  Even then in most cases you could play around the hill climbs.

Any one that says nerf/remove arty is normally someone that gets very annoyed by it.  Other wise why even bring it up?  You must view it as some sort of problem that needs addressing.

I'm not sure what you mean by mm doesn't work?  Yes you get bottom tier more but being bottom is only a real problem due to the above mentioned power difference per tier.  If the top tanks were only about 20% better overall rather then the 50% they are now would it be as much of a problem?  The power creep as is is why I hate being top tier, the game is just too easy when your 50% stronger then all the tanks you run into.

Go read the official news posts about it. The first one 8 months ago (?) stated that the backend thingy that prevented being bottom tier wasnt properly implemented. 

I only mentioned it as one of the things I didnt quit over. (arty)

For me, the no sound bug affected me every few games, and made those games impossible to play (I rely on sound just as much as vision). When I got it, the whole game would have no sound.

RaynorShyne #9 Posted Mar 28 2019 - 00:24

Captain

• Players
  • 29154 battles
  • [C92] C92

View PostThe_Illusive_Man, on Mar 27 2019 - 16:12, said:

So, recently I decided yet again to call it quits. However, this time ive decided to stay around, engage with people, and even make mods. Why havent I just left the game, and the community entirely? Because I plan on coming back.

My plans on coming back though rely on one thing:

Not MM fixed

Not Arty nerfed/ removed

Not tanks removed/ rebalanced.

Rather, I want to see the devs come to their senses, and at least try to come into the modern world. I want to see the turnaround time of fixes/ improvements to be DRASTICALLY reduced. Currently, it can take 2 YEARS for WG to even CONSIDER fixing issues. Whether those issues are with the game itself (such as the broken MM), or with stuff the community doesnt like (Such as tank balance/ SPG issues). 

Now, to put this time frame into perspective: Apex Legends, a recent game made by Respawn (released on the 4th of February), had a very annoying crash issue. It did take them awhile to acknowledge the issue (2 weeks I think). But, they released a major patch (season 1), which also included some stability stuff. Before this, I was crashing every 2-5 games (YES, it was that bad), Now, I havnt crashed since. 

So, now that that is in perspective, how long should WG take to even acknowledge an issue? 1 month. Thats it. Anything more is unreasonable. Now, this isnt fixing the issue (That would be nice), but just releasing an official announcement stating that they acknowledge the issue, and are looking to fix it. Now, how long should the fix take? Based on modern standards? 3 months for all but the most core issues (like needing to fully rewrite the game). Those core issues should only take 1 year to fix. Maybe 1 and a half years, depends on the staff count, and the complexity of the game.

(For the record, you guys are making my effort to find time to get my Obj 277 crew to complete their 5th skill very hard)

I shall play an extra 5 battles in my GC Conq to commemorate your decision never to return.

The_Illusive_Man #10 Posted Mar 28 2019 - 00:39

Major

• -Players-
  • 13377 battles

View PostRaynorShyne, on Mar 27 2019 - 20:24, said:

(For the record, you guys are making my effort to find time to get my Obj 277 crew to complete their 5th skill very hard)

I shall play an extra 5 battles in my GC Conq to commemorate your decision never to return.

Um.... Read my post.... I said:

"Because I plan on coming back."

Insanefriend #11 Posted Mar 28 2019 - 01:04

Major

• Players
  • 49857 battles

View PostThe_Illusive_Man, on Mar 27 2019 - 17:39, said:

Better take three years to come back, they might have fixed something with their turn around.

RaynorShyne #12 Posted Mar 28 2019 - 01:18

Captain

• Players
  • 29154 battles
  • [C92] C92

View PostThe_Illusive_Man, on Mar 27 2019 - 17:39, said:

Um.... Read my post.... I said:

Based on, "I want to see the devs come to their senses"

TankUtoo #13 Posted Mar 28 2019 - 01:31

Corporal

• Players
  • 31408 battles

To:  "THE NOT SO ILLUSIVE MAN"  (Pun because of number of posts in forum)

I  have read many of your posts here and I as in this post I feel much like you and have slowed in amount of play here.

You seem to be logical, helpful and respectful in forum to other's, glad you will stick around.  

The_Illusive_Man #14 Posted Mar 28 2019 - 01:34

Major

• -Players-
  • 13377 battles

View PostTankUtoo, on Mar 27 2019 - 21:31, said:

To:  "THE NOT SO ILLUSIVE MAN"  (Pun because of number of posts in forum)

I  have read many of your posts here and I as in this post I feel much like you and have slowed in amount of play here.

You seem to be logical, helpful and respectful in forum to other's, glad you will stick around.  

Yeah, the name is only because of "Mass Effect".... I kinda liked The Illusive Man.....

I think that anyone with experience/ knowledge should give back to the community.

3bagsfull #15 Posted Mar 28 2019 - 01:44

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 2716 battles
I hate to say this but you are asking a company who just went out of their way to make it so that the only way people could get the unique skin on the Lansen C was to slap a $100 price tag on the bundle to come to their senses?    All I can say is good luck with that.

Slone #16 Posted Mar 28 2019 - 01:56

Captain

• Players
  • 20283 battles

View PostThe_Illusive_Man, on Mar 27 2019 - 17:12, said:

So bottom line, you won't be returning any time soon.

:teethhappy:

I agree with all you have to say.

stalkervision #17 Posted Mar 28 2019 - 02:39

Major

• Players
  • 74228 battles
I'm really disappointed in this rant. I give it a one. I was really looking forward to a good rant tonight and was let down once again. Can anyone do better? This was a real stinker to be sure. :(

mlinke #18 Posted Mar 28 2019 - 02:58

Captain

• Players
  • 53920 battles
  • [FIXX] FIXX
Op post makes me depressed. I m gonna drink a beer and play arty.

GeorgePreddy #19 Posted Mar 28 2019 - 03:15

Major

• Players
  • 14680 battles

I'm sure that now you've pointed out your issue... they'll get right on it.

Also tagged with Rant

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users