My assessment of WoT Classic

WoT Classic World of Tanks Classic April Fools Game Mode Game Mode Feedback April Fools

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

Kulingile #1 Posted Mar 29 2019 - 21:52

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 15875 battles
  • [_AKA_] _AKA_

World of Tanks Classic, Wargaming's 2019 April Fool's special event for World of Tanks.

I started playing World of Tanks in November 2013 in patch 0.8.9.  Since then, I've wondered about what it would have been like to play back in the days of the first replay files, Type 59 OP-ness, battles with 12 artillery per team, and the legendary KV.  When I first started playing, I was watching every informational video on WoT that I could get my hands on, including videos from the 0.7 versions of the game that illustrated the kinds of hilarity and frustration inflicted upon the players.

I remember what the game was like before physics.  I remember having my Renault FT stuck at a 40 degree angle because the game engine didn't allow it to tip over.  I remember the original T-50-2 circle strafing monster.  I remember the old artillery with its HEAT and AP.  I remember Swamp, Dragon Ridge, Northwest, Pearl River, Seaport, Komarin, South Coast, Hidden Village, the original Province, and the original Live Oaks.  I remember general chat and fail platoons.  I remember 5 artillery per team.  I remember KV-2s in tier 10 battles finishing with top damage and experience.  I remember the way the game used to be.

World of Tanks Classic started as a clever idea by someone in Wargaming.  "Let's show the players how the game used to be, and they will realize how much better it is now."  It's great marketing, but is a bit of a let-down as a special event.  We've had the Karl, Operation Undead (2D top-down zombie survival), and spherical Soviet tanks (the IS-8 Ball).  Not to mention some of the other special events, such as Chaffee racing, tank soccer, the 8-bit Winter Showdown, Convoy, and the Leviathan.  Wargaming has taken an event that is supposed to be fun, entertaining, and a break from the more "serious" gameplay and turned it into a marketing campaign that attempts to beat players over the head in an effort to prove how much their game has improved in the past 8 years.  The unique style is nice, but the point of a special event is to have fun.

Sadly, it's not even been a particularly well executed bludgeoning campaign, either.  The start of the event was delayed because of technical issues, and remained unplayable for several hours after its official launch because of still-unresolved issues.  That's not saying that the other special event game modes were free of bugs, but they did launch on time and without game-breaking issues that prevented player's enjoyment.

Yes, Wargaming, I've done that 5 times already.

Even with the major issues resolved, just logging in is a challenge.  Assuming that you can make it around the "Authorization error.  Please go to the Game Center and press PLAY again." message - which is the DEFAULT background on the loading screen - there is still an abominable wait to play WoT Classic.  As in 200,000+ players in queue trying to log in.  Wait times to LOG IN of 2 hours or more are proving to be relatively common.  Now what is causing this issue, you may ask?  Well, it's because Wargaming decided to implement this mode on only one server.  World-wide.  And that server is in Russia.

This was after waiting in queue for over an hour.  There were still more than 110,000 players ahead of me.

Russia, yes, the land of the Test Servers, 300+ms mandatory ping for those of us who do not live in Eurasia, and where you will get team-killed just because you happen live in North America.  Now, to be fair, World of Tanks Classic presented a new challenge that Wargaming had to face.  Classic is a completely separate game, unlike previous special events which were piggybacked on the latest client - or onto their website servers in the case of Operation Undead.  However, attempting to use a single server cluster to run a worldwide game should raise more than a few red flags.  Simply having enough connections to let their hundreds of thousands of active players log in would be an issue, not to mention the stress put upon the game servers that are trying to continuously operate at maximum capacity.  Reports of dropped connections have proven to be not-uncommon.  There also is one other problem with running everything off of one server cluster - lag.

Now, I have a good internet connection.  Not fantastic, not FIOS, but definitely not terrible, either.  I have an internet speed of roughly 80 Mb/s, which is more than adequate to play World of Tanks on the NA server with a ping of 40 ms or less and no latency or lag spikes.  Try playing World of Tanks Classic, however, and oh boy are we in for a treat.

You call this 129 ms?

Now, I don't know how World of Tanks Classic is calculating its displayed ping value, but I was sure as heck not playing with 129 ms of lag.  You can test how much lag you have yourself on World of Tanks Classic: just see how long it takes your tank to respond to a simple command, like to drive forwards.  My actual ping was on the order of 400-500 ms, making the game practically unplayable, even at low tiers.  It was rather amusing to watch objects magically get destroyed before my tank even reached them....  However, if the object of World of Tanks Classic is to show the playerbase exactly how bad World of Tanks 0.7.0 was, having massive underdisplayed lag is an excellent way to do it.  I should note that the game client never displayed a ping of greater than 150 ms, and the little lag light never turned red.

There is one rather curious thing to take note of here: how many players are in the queue.  I play a fair amount on the NA server, and at peak server times with 15,000 players online, there are usually around 300 players in queue at any given time.  In World of Tanks Classic, with the server running at full capacity?  Double-digits.  At most.   The longest I had to wait in queue was only a few seconds.  It made getting a screenshot of the queue rather hard...

This was the largest number of players that I saw in queue.  Usually it was between 30 and 60.

It was all rather anti-climactic.  I waited for over 2 hours to log onto the server, only to find enough lag to make the game nigh-unplayable.  At least researching through the tech trees was fast, so much to the dismay of myself and my teams, I found myself rapidly working my way to tier 10.  Or tier 9, or tier 8, as the case may be.  I honestly can't say that the experience got any better as the tiers increased. The only up side was that every player was given a full 3-skill crew for a tier 6 medium tank.

Look at those skills!  Much maxed skillness.

As for a special event?  I feel robbed, and almost exclusively due to bad implementation on the part of Wargaming.  Had I not spent half an hour downloading the client and then trying to figure out why I receiving an authorization error, had it not taken Wargaming 3 hours after the delayed launch to fix the login issue, had it not taken me more than 2 hours to log in, had the lag not been absolutely horrible, THEN I might have enjoyed myself and indulged in a little nostalgia.  As it stands, World of Tanks Classic is a laggy mess that I wouldn't recommend to anyone.

It's even so laggy that it utterly fails at Wargaming's intended purpose of making players realize how much better the game is now.  All that players will realize when playing World of Tanks Classic is that the 2019 April Fool's special event is a horrid laggy mess with terrible implementation, and most will stick around for only one battle - the minimum necessary to earn the unique style.  Honestly, I'd even put this year's April Fool's event below those years where all we had was a fake news announcement and perhaps a mocked up video.

To Wargaming, I say, "Well done.  You may have just set a record for worst World of Tanks special event."

zlood #2 Posted Mar 29 2019 - 21:54

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 29360 battles
  • [CLAWS] CLAWS
https://imgur.com/apC1V6E

Cheesehead1964 #3 Posted Mar 29 2019 - 22:29

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 9447 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

I was about 160,000 in the queue. Took about 45 minutes to get in. Got an SU-85B - one of my current favs - to compare.

Not horrible. Game play and maps didn't feel radically different (but yes dated). Controls seemed a bit sluggish. Played enough games (4, I read you need 3) to get the event camo. That was enough.

Insanefriend #4 Posted Mar 29 2019 - 22:31

Captain

• Players
  • 44331 battles
I didn't get stuck in a queue at all to log in, just hit play and in the game it went.  

aminek #5 Posted Mar 29 2019 - 22:45

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 29601 battles
  • [-RH-] -RH-

View PostKulingile, on Mar 29 2019 - 21:52, said:

Now, I don't know how World of Tanks Classic is calculating its displayed ping value, but I was sure as heck not playing with 129 ms of lag.  You can test how much lag you have yourself on World of Tanks Classic: just see how long it takes your tank to respond to a simple command, like to drive forwards.  My actual ping was on the order of 400-500 ms, making the game practically unplayable, even at low tiers.  It was rather amusing to watch objects magically get destroyed before my tank even reached them....  However, if the object of World of Tanks Classic is to show the playerbase exactly how bad World of Tanks 0.7.0 was, having massive underdisplayed lag is an excellent way to do it.  I should note that the game client never displayed a ping of greater than 150 ms, and the little lag light never turned red.

That is exactly what killed me. I mean i could absolutely enjoy the heck out of that old version (since it reminds me so much of good memories) if it wasn't for the terrible terrible lag. Let it be noted that i live in Europe and my average ping is below the three digit, but boy oh boy it surely is skying all the way up to at least the four digits behind the scene, it's not as much frustrating as when i play the official WoT in NA (i get around 200 ping there) because your performance will not matter for a clan recruitement or whatever, but i just feel deeply sad that i can't enjoy what i was actually wishing to happend for some months now...

Mankoi #6 Posted Mar 29 2019 - 23:09

Captain

• Players
  • 47314 battles
  • [ELLAS] ELLAS

Get a taste of 150+ ping and be grateful for having a server near you

I play with 170+ cause i live in EU and i play smoothly

heavymetal1967 #7 Posted Mar 29 2019 - 23:33

Major

• Players
  • 70354 battles
  • [HSOLO] HSOLO

My assessment of it courtesy of much of it's newfound playerbase.

And this is higher tiers folks.

tod914 #8 Posted Mar 29 2019 - 23:58

Major

• Players
  • 63589 battles

Here's your piper Heavy :P  Not quite Ian Anderson... but it fits the narrative.

Spoiler

Edited by tod914, Mar 29 2019 - 23:59.

Mister_Avnas #9 Posted Mar 30 2019 - 00:09

Sergeant

• Players
  • 11472 battles
  • [-TSO-] -TSO-

>it's great marketing for how much better the game is now

tell that to jagex

Alpine_gremlin #10 Posted Mar 30 2019 - 00:17

Sergeant

• Players
  • 23736 battles
  • [BEEER] BEEER

Logged in without issues, but the high ping and input lag make it pretty tough to play.

Still had more fun than I`ve had in years on this game. Release a special server that runs this version and I`ll reinstall for good lol. They`re trying to prove how much better the game is? To me its having the opposite effect XD

Maybe thats just the nostalgia talking though.

Edited by Alpine_gremlin, Mar 30 2019 - 00:18.

HMRoyalLancers #11 Posted Mar 30 2019 - 00:38

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 12824 battles
  • [3_NZ] 3_NZ

Remember the Christmas event with the armoured cars. And how those cars ended up being part of the game.

Is it just my paranoid conspiricy thinking that recognises that Classic is played on a global server?

Coincidence; or not?

Stuka_87 #12 Posted Mar 30 2019 - 01:13

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 19487 battles
The lag kills it for me, this desperately needed an NA server. Well, that and arty. Having games with 5 arty all running AP rounds was one of the least fun times I have had in a while.

Fett713 #13 Posted Mar 30 2019 - 05:06

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 32865 battles
  • [BSI] BSI

I had no issues logging onto the server or otherwise. I lag in general so it's pretty normal for me. The queue amounts do seem odd though.

Edited by Fett713, Mar 30 2019 - 05:12.

Kulingile #14 Posted Mar 30 2019 - 17:42

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 15875 battles
  • [_AKA_] _AKA_

View PostFett713, on Mar 29 2019 - 23:06, said:

I had no issues logging onto the server or otherwise. I lag in general so it's pretty normal for me. The queue amounts do seem odd though.

They're running WoT Classic on the Sandbox test server.  Did you have a wait to log on, or has the number of players decreased?

Yes, very few tanks in queue for battle and extremely short queue times, even with a full server.  Makes you wonder exactly what makes the current matchmaking take so long - especially since we still end up with some obviously unbalanced matches.

slayer6 #15 Posted Apr 16 2019 - 00:29

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 14320 battles
A friend of mine installed a copy and took all the computers in his office workplace after hours to queue the server and... not play...  So there's +72 places in that queue...

Edited by slayer6, Apr 16 2019 - 00:30.

MUMBLESRUMBLES #16 Posted Apr 17 2019 - 21:49

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 49548 battles
  • [TAC-E] TAC-E
I gave up on it after a week of being team killed by those eu crazies.... they see na, and they tk you...no thanks, no time for that garbage level of play.

1lt_wert #17 Posted Apr 17 2019 - 22:36

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 30401 battles
  • [KGR] KGR
Tried it but the 2 second lag made it unplayable.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users