The Improved MM Is Almost Upon Us!

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

Jambijon #1 Posted Apr 02 2019 - 16:39

Community Coordinator

• Administrator
  • 3610 battles
  • [WGA] WGA

"99 annoying bugs in the code, 99 bugs.  Take one down, fix one now, 237 bugs on the wall"

Morning Tankers!

The long awaited Matchmaker changes are finally done!  They have released and have been open tested in the EU region and we're ready for a global release!  So tomorrow, April 3rd, 2019 the updated MM will hit the servers.

For all the details, check out our article by clicking the WoT Scales above.

GLHF!

NutrientibusMeaGallus #2 Posted Apr 02 2019 - 16:41

Major

• Players
  • 22672 battles
  • [FILOX] FILOX
   Not sure if serious or april fools....... :sceptic:

heavymetal1967 #3 Posted Apr 02 2019 - 16:43

Major

• Players
  • 70283 battles
  • [HSOLO] HSOLO

Plus one for the heads up OP.  Hopefully this will work as intended. :P

https://worldoftanks.com/en/news/announcements/matchmaker-status-launch/

After a huge number of tests, both open and closed, and an especially successful open test in the European region, we are ready to launch the new matchmaker globally.

On April 3, 2019, you can fully appreciate how the updated matchmaker changes battles quality for the better and makes World of Tanks more enjoyable than ever!

New Matchmaking: What'll Be Different?

Let us briefly recall how the improved matchmaker will now assemble battles. Our main goals are:

• To reduce the number of battles with machines two-tiers higher (especially for Tier VI and VIII vehicles) and redistribute them into battles with tanks of the same tier and one-tier lower
  • To make battles more enjoyable for Premium Vehicles with preferential matchmaking. Now those of you who have these machines in your Garage will be less frequently getting matched with vehicles one-tier higher and more often with adversaries of the same tier and one-tier lower   

We'll achieve these goals by adding dynamic templates that can quickly adapt to the queue evolution, for both two-tier and three-tier battles. Here is a preliminary list of dynamic templates, which we're introducing:

• Two-tier battles: 7-8, 6-9, and 4-11
  • Three-tier battles: 4-5-6 and 4-4-7

The 3-5-7 and the 5-10 systems are also possible, but you'll face them less frequently — for example, if the queue structure is non-standard. This can happen if there are too many vehicles of the same class or specific machines in the queue. For example, if there are some battle missions specifically for TDs, and TDs make up 50%+ of all vehicles in the queue.

What Will Happen to The Waiting Time?

Just like we outlined previously, the waiting time for solo players may slightly increase and will depend on the current situation in the queue. The waiting time for Platoons may increase a bit more, but the enjoyment in each battle should also increase. Most likely, you won't notice a significant difference in the queuing time compared with the previous version of the matchmaker.

We're confident that new dynamic templates will make battles more enjoyable for all of you. Roll into battle and share your feedback, it’s crucial for the further improvement of the matchmaker!

Good video that gives some perspective on how it used to be vs. now.  And the how and why regarding the changes.  Hopefully us folks that believe that the current templates not MM per se is the problem won't be eating crow.  i

Essentially their MM got powercreeped. :P  Hopefully with the new dynamic template system we'll see a marked improvement pre the video.

Now in the spirit of looking a gift horse in the mouth the forum will be flooded with queue time rants. :P

Spoiler

Ortinoth_ #4 Posted Apr 02 2019 - 16:50

Captain

• Players
  • 27074 battles

View PostNutrientibusMeaGallus, on Apr 02 2019 - 08:41, said:

Not sure if serious or april fools....... :sceptic:

well since it was posted on the APRIL 2nd - can't be an April Fool's Joke ? Or Can it -- but in all honestly we shall see tomarrow how the improved MM will work if it truely is globally launched

YANKEE137 #5 Posted Apr 02 2019 - 16:59

Major

• -Players-
  • 13275 battles
  • [6-ACR] 6-ACR

PTwr #6 Posted Apr 02 2019 - 17:03

Major

• Players
  • 44715 battles
  • [BITSA] BITSA
Yeah, sure. It will be as improved as that pointy M4... 

ViseGrip #7 Posted Apr 02 2019 - 17:12

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 46387 battles
  • [ROCKY] ROCKY
Hey WG.... Nice try with the Match Making. Should be alittle more enjoyable with t8's not going against 10's................ BUT... I really got to say.... It is NOT the match making as much as it's the players in game not playing their tank correctly. I will bet you a boat load of gold.... We still going to have the idiots that run out there and die with in a couple minutes of start with 0 damage and 0 kills<<<<< That's the real problem.  And no matter how much you try and please the basement dwellers by changing the line up of tanks... It's just not going to help........ BUT, what would help is to  reduce the stun effect and UP damage out put on arty.

Panzerkind #8 Posted Apr 02 2019 - 17:16

Major

• Players
  • 35369 battles
  • [200IQ] 200IQ

View PostViseGrip, on Apr 02 2019 - 11:12, said:

It is NOT the match making as much as it's the players in game not playing their tank correctly. I will bet you a boat load of gold.... We still going to have the idiots that run out there and die with in a couple minutes of start with 0 damage and 0 kills<<<<< That's the real problem

If you want predictability play a single player game. 

Pubbies are unpredictable and it keeps the game interesting. 

SteamRoller_ #9 Posted Apr 02 2019 - 18:28

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 39378 battles
  • [ICED] ICED

This is AWESOME!!!  Now, instead of facing 3 tanks that are two tiers higher than me, I now get to face 4 of them :D , and instead of 5 tanks that are one tier higher than me, there will be 6 or 7... BRILLIANT!!!  As I've stated several times (to deaf ears), putting so much time and effort into balancing tanks within their own tier and then matching them up with tanks one and two tiers higher (over 82% of the time, according to one documented session), is ABSURD... so why do it?  Why not prefer single-tier matches?  This would be a first step toward creating "fair fights"--but that isn't really what you want, is it ;)

By the way, if the goal is to create shorter matches, the solution isn't to create mismatches but to SHORTEN THE TIME ALLOWED FOR EACH MATCH.  Oh, wait, that's too easy.

Happy tanking :child:

WileyCat #10 Posted Apr 02 2019 - 18:40

Major

• Players
  • 30950 battles
  • [ALL] ALL

View PostJambijon, on Apr 02 2019 - 09:39, said:

"99 annoying bugs in the code, 99 bugs.  Take one down, fix one now, 237 bugs on the wall"

Morning Tankers!

The long awaited Matchmaker changes are finally done!  They have released and have been open tested in the EU region and we're ready for a global release!  So tomorrow, April 3rd, 2019 the updated MM will hit the servers.

For all the details, check out our article by clicking the WoT Scales above.

GLHF!

if this is april fools the game will die.

bockscar43 #11 Posted Apr 02 2019 - 18:58

Captain

• -Players-
  • 31509 battles
  • [PL1AR] PL1AR
Patience, what will be will be. Perhaps awards and medals for the devs or the base let down again, one never can tell in wot land.

madogthefirst #12 Posted Apr 02 2019 - 19:11

Major

• Players
  • 24158 battles

View Postbockscar43, on Apr 02 2019 - 09:58, said:

Patience, what will be will be. Perhaps awards and medals for the devs or the base let down again, one never can tell in wot land.

I wouldn't get your hopes up, think ideally it would be 5-5-5 but it is set to 4-4-7 so still mostly bottom tier.

YANKEE137 #13 Posted Apr 02 2019 - 19:39

Major

• -Players-
  • 13275 battles
  • [6-ACR] 6-ACR

BoHarper #14 Posted Apr 02 2019 - 19:56

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 50004 battles
  • [-RH-] -RH-
How about trying same tier or 1 tier difference. Forget the two tier difference. Please!

Matross #15 Posted Apr 02 2019 - 20:06

Captain

• Players
  • 31862 battles
  • [PRGY] PRGY
This should be interesting, i'm looking forward to it. the two tier battles sound the most interesting. 7-8 probably the most "equal" it'll get.

ArcticTankHunter #16 Posted Apr 02 2019 - 20:50

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 15464 battles
  • [OSU-V] OSU-V

Yes, no more steam rolling of 3 top tier tanks blocking each routes. The only thing WG needs to do now is have tier 8+9 version of Grand battle and have new maps with more routes. I say tier 9 should be able to go into tier 8 grand battle as all Tier 9 vehicles have easy weak side armor compare T10s. Their should be a template of less tier 9s in tier 8 grand battle. Probably 10/20.

We need maps specifically for tier 6 grand battle due to all the premium tanks just like we have wide park for low tiers. This will help new player to level their tier 4(instant derp killed) and tier 7(no ability to penetrate higher tier using stock guns) tanks.

The maps that need more cover and routes are the followings:

1. Fiery Salient(has become unplayable with artillery and high spot ranges from LT). Suggest WG remove this map and make it bigger as Grand battle map.

2. Lakeville (opening a routes on city side will prevent crossfire from mid. There is no way to flank heavies in city and who ever has the better heavy always wins). Middle is total joke and broken for LT.

3. Mines (Team with the most fastest tank always captures hill and wins most of the time, North team has sniping advantage against south team hull down tanks in mid and city)

4. Prokhorovka(same map a fiery salient, not sure which one still in game. Both needs to be removed and turned into grand battle map). Both have no cover against arty.

Edited by ArcticTankHunter, Apr 03 2019 - 19:20.

DemonCooler #17 Posted Apr 03 2019 - 00:56

Private

• Players
  • 9866 battles
  • [GOBS] GOBS

View PostArcticTankHunter, on Apr 02 2019 - 19:50, said:

Yes, no more steam rolling of 3 top tier tanks blocking each routes. The only thing WG needs to do now is have tier 8+9 version of Grand battle and have new maps with more routes. I say tier 9 should be able to go into tier 8 grand battle as all Tier 9 vehicles have easy weak side armor compare T10s. Their should be a template of less tier 9s in tier 8 grand battle. Probably 10/20.

We need maps specifically for tier 6 grand battle due to all the premium tanks just like we have wide park for low tiers. This will help new player to level their tier 4(instant derp killed) and tier 7(no ability to penetrate higher tier using stock guns) tanks.

The maps that need more cover and routes are the followings:

1. Fiery Salient(has become unplayable with artillery and high spot ranges from LT). Suggest WG remove this map and make it bigger as Grand battle map.

2. Lakeville (opening a routes on city side will prevent crossfire from mid. There is no way to flank heavies in city and who ever has the better heavy always wins). Middle is total joke and broken for LT.

3. Mines (Team with the most fastest tank always captures hill and wins most of the time, North team has sniping advantage against south team hull down tanks in mid and city)

Aside from the thought of allowing tier 9's into tier 8 grand battle I agree with everything you say. Grand battle I think should remain all 1 tier, multi-tier Grand Battles would be....well I don't think it'd be very fun when multiple tier 9 platoons get into a battle in that mode.

ArcticTankHunter #18 Posted Apr 03 2019 - 19:05

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 15464 battles
  • [OSU-V] OSU-V

View PostDemonCooler, on Apr 03 2019 - 00:56, said:

Aside from the thought of allowing tier 9's into tier 8 grand battle I agree with everything you say. Grand battle I think should remain all 1 tier, multi-tier Grand Battles would be....well I don't think it'd be very fun when multiple tier 9 platoons get into a battle in that mode.

I have to say yes, unless WG decides to add tier 9 premiums you can buy, there is not enough variety of tier 9's to do their own version. All tier 9 premiums are rewards tanks. Plus Tier 8 tanks all have weak hull. So in the open in grand battle, they can get snipe to death before making it to certain areas. With tier 9 frontal hull they can balance that like T10 Grand battle. The only tanks remotely has decent front hull in for tier 8 is Defender, T28 and AT15. If you can get T95, Tortoise, Amx 45 51, etc. They can hold down the mid and help other Tier 8's move on. We can finally see the full potential of Heavy Assault tanks and heavy tanks of tier 9.

All tier 9's have easy frontal weak spots for tier 8 to penetrate along with weak side armor. That whole reason why T10 got grand battle first place was impenetrable frontal weakspots and very bouncy side armor. Some tier 7 have issue penetrating weakspots of tier 9 frontal cupola, etc. Even the tier 9 reward tanks can be easily penetrated in the hull by tier 8.

So if WG does a 10(tier 9)/20(tier 8). The tier 9's can be the main frontal movement for majority of the tier 8s instead of the game ending super fast due to all the weak hulls of tier 8s.

Adding tier 9 in tier 8 grand battle will loosen up tier 7 matches from seeing tier 8 and 9. Tier 9s will force tier 7 to see +2mm.

Edited by ArcticTankHunter, Apr 03 2019 - 19:22.

Jambijon #19 Posted Apr 03 2019 - 22:55

Community Coordinator

• Administrator
  • 3610 battles
  • [WGA] WGA
How has everyones MM been so far?  I've been experiencing same Tier 8 games a lot more than usual, but still doesn't help my game haha.

FrozenKemp #20 Posted Apr 03 2019 - 23:48

Major

• Players
  • 51268 battles

I just ran tier 6s for about 45 minutes.  

1 battle with tiers 8,7,6

1 battle with tiers 7,6

1 battle with tiers 7,6,5

2 battles with tier 6 alone

1 battle with tiers 6,5

I am tentatively quite impressed. 

Edited by FrozenKemp, Apr 03 2019 - 23:49.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users