WOT Classic - Thank you

WOT Classic 2011 Thanks

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Cutthroatlemur #1 Posted Apr 03 2019 - 16:05

Major

• Players
  • 19432 battles

Thank you WG for the 2011 classic mode.  Honestly, I haven't enjoyed WOT this much in ages.

I started playing in 2011 and have fond memories of those first battles, hanging off of cliffs, no 6th sense, big MM spread, simple physics.  After all of these years I kinda doubted my own memories...was it really as fun as I thought it was?  Isn't the current game much better?

Well the classic mode finally gave me a chance to find out.  I was not disappointed.

It was a dive into the past, but this time with a HUGE pot of free XP and gold to play with.

First I jumped into some of the tanks that I remember being really fun, the SU-26 with the 122MM, the VK3601H with the konisch, the Tiger 1.  

Holy moly, that SU-26 was OP!  Just like I remembered, silly fun.

I also got the chance to buy the premiums I never bought back in the day like the Mutant, as well as some premiums that I do have now, but didn't have during their prime in 2011 (Mini Maus, Type 59).

It was awesome to be able to see if they really lived up to the old hype.  - of course they didn't :sceptic:

It was great to play without 6th sense.  I remember when they introduced SS - at the time I thought it was a dumb and extremely unrealistic concept, that a commander would just "know" when they got spotted.  Over the years of course I started to rely on it, and let's face it...it has been a must-have for years ..  However I quickly realized again how silly and game-changing the concept is.  It really changes the game in a huge way, it provides way too much info about the other team's location and stifles movement (IMHO).  The game felt more dynamic without SS and without the super-accurate hit indicator.  

I enjoyed the fact that armor seemed more effective back in 2011, but accuracy seemed worse (could have been the terrible ping...each of my shots had to fly from Seattle to Russia...)

I LOVED seeing the original maps.  Frankly I was astounded at how I instantly seemed to remember the quirks of each of them.  The no-man's land on Swamp, the sniping hill in the back or Redshire, Komarin...this may have been my favorite part of the classic mode.

The old MM was a mixed bag.  I did enjoy the spread, and the limited variety of tanks (no auto-loaders, no wheelies), but those arty-parties...that brought up some old trauma that I had forgotten about.  BUT  on the flip side of that I enjoyed the arty experience much more.  Old arty had no stun, tiny splash, and crazy damage.  It would really punish static play, but not hinder moment, the exact opposite of the current arty meta with their quicker aim and silly stun, arty could also effectively CB due to tracers and was dangerous in close quarters - this was all much better than the current IMHO.

Overall I thoroughly enjoyed myself and indulged more than I have in months.  I would love to see this mode come around on occasion (especially if they could fix the ping!) - it was a blast from the past.

Thanks!

NL_Celt #2 Posted Apr 03 2019 - 16:45

Major

• Players
  • 28767 battles
Haven't tried the Classic yet but you mention the SU-26. After quickly going through the SU-18 the SU-26 was my only arty for some near 1000 battles, even after the major nerf. It was simply an effective killing machine. Used all AP, penning with ease, hitting with accuracy, and kills, crits, damage was too easy to rack up. 

rogombor #3 Posted Apr 03 2019 - 16:48

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 21612 battles
  • [NBL] NBL

View PostCutthroatlemur, on Apr 03 2019 - 12:05, said:

Thank you WG for the 2011 classic mode.  Honestly, I haven't enjoyed WOT this much in ages.

I started playing in 2011 and have fond memories of those first battles, hanging off of cliffs, no 6th sense, big MM spread, simple physics.  After all of these years I kinda doubted my own memories...was it really as fun as I thought it was?  Isn't the current game much better?

Well the classic mode finally gave me a chance to find out.  I was not disappointed.

It was a dive into the past, but this time with a HUGE pot of free XP and gold to play with.

First I jumped into some of the tanks that I remember being really fun, the SU-26 with the 122MM, the VK3601H with the konisch, the Tiger 1.  

Holy moly, that SU-26 was OP!  Just like I remembered, silly fun.

I also got the chance to buy the premiums I never bought back in the day like the Mutant, as well as some premiums that I do have now, but didn't have during their prime in 2011 (Mini Maus, Type 59).

It was awesome to be able to see if they really lived up to the old hype.  - of course they didn't :sceptic:

It was great to play without 6th sense.  I remember when they introduced SS - at the time I thought it was a dumb and extremely unrealistic concept, that a commander would just "know" when they got spotted.  Over the years of course I started to rely on it, and let's face it...it has been a must-have for years ..  However I quickly realized again how silly and game-changing the concept is.  It really changes the game in a huge way, it provides way too much info about the other team's location and stifles movement (IMHO).  The game felt more dynamic without SS and without the super-accurate hit indicator.  

I enjoyed the fact that armor seemed more effective back in 2011, but accuracy seemed worse (could have been the terrible ping...each of my shots had to fly from Seattle to Russia...)

I LOVED seeing the original maps.  Frankly I was astounded at how I instantly seemed to remember the quirks of each of them.  The no-man's land on Swamp, the sniping hill in the back or Redshire, Komarin...this may have been my favorite part of the classic mode.

The old MM was a mixed bag.  I did enjoy the spread, and the limited variety of tanks (no auto-loaders, no wheelies), but those arty-parties...that brought up some old trauma that I had forgotten about.  BUT  on the flip side of that I enjoyed the arty experience much more.  Old arty had no stun, tiny splash, and crazy damage.  It would really punish static play, but not hinder moment, the exact opposite of the current arty meta with their quicker aim and silly stun, arty could also effectively CB due to tracers and was dangerous in close quarters - this was all much better than the current IMHO.

Overall I thoroughly enjoyed myself and indulged more than I have in months.  I would love to see this mode come around on occasion (especially if they could fix the ping!) - it was a blast from the past.

Thanks!

Yeah, old arty is just fantastic and the whole game is a lot more fun. It's funny to miss nearly point blank because of the sigma, the game really forced you to wait for the reticle to close. And it separated it from the twitchy FPS games. It was overall a better experience even if there's silly things like not being to drive off cliffs.

View PostNL_Celt, on Apr 03 2019 - 12:45, said:

Haven't tried the Classic yet but you mention the SU-26. After quickly going through the SU-18 the SU-26 was my only arty for some near 1000 battles, even after the major nerf. It was simply an effective killing machine. Used all AP, penning with ease, hitting with accuracy, and kills, crits, damage was too easy to rack up. 

I only tried the Bison but zero damage shots seem to be the name of the game. It doesn't have AP though.

YANKEE137 #4 Posted Apr 03 2019 - 17:03

Major

• -Players-
  • 13335 battles
  • [6-ACR] 6-ACR
I would like to get "Classic" Ehrlenberg back.  Windstorm would be nice too, but probably needs a little stretching.

NL_Celt #5 Posted Apr 03 2019 - 17:18

Major

• Players
  • 28767 battles

View Postrogombor, on Apr 03 2019 - 12:18, said:

Yeah, old arty is just fantastic and the whole game is a lot more fun. It's funny to miss nearly point blank because of the sigma, the game really forced you to wait for the reticle to close. And it separated it from the twitchy FPS games. It was overall a better experience even if there's silly things like not being to drive off cliffs.

I only tried the Bison but zero damage shots seem to be the name of the game. It doesn't have AP though.

Don't know if they have AP in the Classic mode. I was referring to when it was in the regular mode long ago. Hitting was easy and the pen was enough on that 122mm that you got lots of pens and thus damage, etc. After the major nerf on accuracy I found I couldn't hit anything anymore and had to switch to HE to get anything done.

Klaatu_Nicto #6 Posted Apr 03 2019 - 20:16

Major

• Players
  • 44040 battles
In 2012 I started seeing online ads for WOT but after seeing were the company was based I had concerns so I didn't join. Then I started seeing ads for WOT on TV and thought maybe they are legit so I joined. I very much enjoyed the game those first three years but then the game changed for the worse and a rarely play it anymore. I was playing a lot of WOWS the past three years but the CV rework a couple of months ago changed the game for the worse and now I go days without playing and when I do it's only one or two battles so my gaming money is being spent elsewhere.

NL_Celt #7 Posted Apr 04 2019 - 03:54

Major

• Players
  • 28767 battles

View PostKlaatu_Nicto, on Apr 03 2019 - 15:46, said:

In 2012 I started seeing online ads for WOT but after seeing were the company was based I had concerns so I didn't join. Then I started seeing ads for WOT on TV and thought maybe they are legit so I joined. I very much enjoyed the game those first three years but then the game changed for the worse and a rarely play it anymore. I was playing a lot of WOWS the past three years but the CV rework a couple of months ago changed the game for the worse and now I go days without playing and when I do it's only one or two battles so my gaming money is being spent elsewhere.

Still playing WOWS as well as WOT and WOWP. Haven't gotten into the CV's so changes mean nothing to me, but knocked down 16 aircraft in my Omaha tonight!

Klaatu_Nicto #8 Posted Apr 04 2019 - 04:44

Major

• Players
  • 44040 battles

View PostNL_Celt, on Apr 03 2019 - 18:54, said:

Still playing WOWS as well as WOT and WOWP. Haven't gotten into the CV's so changes mean nothing to me, but knocked down 16 aircraft in my Omaha tonight!

I rarely played CVs. DDs and the Massachusetts were my favorites. 

Also tagged with WOT Classic, 2011, Thanks

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users