Stop caring about stats

Stats Xvm

• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

__WarChild__ #21 Posted Apr 06 2019 - 20:13

Major

• -Players-
  • 29207 battles
I have never cared about my stats in this game.  But I do like winning, so I take some liberties at times to increase my wins.  Right now, I'm just going through this TD grind and luckily wins don't matter.  I'm consistently great, but whether I win or lose is up to my team composition.  No worries either way.

LeaveIT2Beaver #22 Posted Apr 06 2019 - 20:37

Major

• -Players-
  • 35878 battles
  • [J4F] J4F

View Post_Tsavo_, on Apr 06 2019 - 11:57, said:

I just play and my stats increase.  :P

Keep the fun, if stressing about stats is dampening the fun, then don't stress and go make some dude do the dead.  

I just play and my stats just drop thru the open gates of Hell. :(  But I am still having fun!  :teethhappy:

LeaveIT2Beaver #23 Posted Apr 06 2019 - 20:40

Major

• -Players-
  • 35878 battles
  • [J4F] J4F

View Post__WarChild__, on Apr 06 2019 - 14:13, said:

I have never cared about my stats in this game.  But I do like winning, so I take some liberties at times to increase my wins.  Right now, I'm just going through this TD grind and luckily wins don't matter.  I'm consistently great, but whether I win or lose is up to my team composition.  No worries either way.

78% recent over 55%!  What are YOU drinking???? :great:

Smoked_Maple_Bacon #24 Posted Apr 06 2019 - 20:41

Sergeant

• Players
  • 15507 battles

my reason for having XVM

1) to know if the guy beside me could be help or hinderance

2) when the epic pro unicum chat warrior blames everyone for sucking, you can see that every team they are on, is down a player for the most part

3) when you see really good players in certain tanks, you know they are not dumb to be baited in, or know when to push

_Tsavo_ #25 Posted Apr 06 2019 - 20:44

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 44885 battles
  • [TSAVO] TSAVO

View PostPepperidgeFarmGuy, on Apr 06 2019 - 14:37, said:

I just play and my stats just drop thru the open gates of Hell. :(  But I am still having fun!  :teethhappy:

WHY U CHANGE NAME LEAVEIT!?

Nooooooo

__WarChild__ #26 Posted Apr 06 2019 - 20:46

Major

• -Players-
  • 29207 battles

View PostPepperidgeFarmGuy, on Apr 06 2019 - 13:40, said:

78% recent over 55%!  What are YOU drinking???? :great:

You need to IGNORE my stats.  If you want to focus on my recent winrate, etc. then you'll also need to check my average tier.  Last time I checked, my Pak40 (that I paid $30 for and have been using daily) is Tier 3.  My current winrate is around 45% because I've been playing mostly Tier X and some Tier 8s the last 2-3 days.  My signature just hasn't updated that cr_p yet.

Please note my original statement:  "But I do like winning, so I take some liberties at times to increase my wins."  I.E. my Pak40 

Veracks #27 Posted Apr 06 2019 - 21:49

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 21641 battles
  • [SU] SU

To this day I have no idea why anyone gives a rat's butt about WN8. According to all the magical indications, I should be a pretty decent person (dark blue WR and WN8). If you were to ask me, I'd care far more about WR than WN8. WN8 is hilariously flawed to the point of stupidity, where it puts waaaaaaay too much weight on certain things the creators valued versus other things (*cough* damage farming *cough*).

WR at the end of the day is the ultimate indicator of skill, not WN8. WR shows that despite those tomato teams, you hauled them along to the finish line. All WN8 shows is you know how to abuse obscure tanks to inflate an unofficial number.

3bagsfull #28 Posted Apr 06 2019 - 23:08

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 2713 battles

View PostVeracks, on Apr 06 2019 - 20:49, said:

To this day I have no idea why anyone gives a rat's butt about WN8. According to all the magical indications, I should be a pretty decent person (dark blue WR and WN8). If you were to ask me, I'd care far more about WR than WN8. WN8 is hilariously flawed to the point of stupidity, where it puts waaaaaaay too much weight on certain things the creators valued versus other things (*cough* damage farming *cough*).

WR at the end of the day is the ultimate indicator of skill, not WN8. WR shows that despite those tomato teams, you hauled them along to the finish line. All WN8 shows is you know how to abuse obscure tanks to inflate an unofficial number.

View PostVeracks, on Apr 06 2019 - 20:49, said:

Every statistic known to man cannot stand on it's own, it needs correlation.    Win Rate and WN8 are two peas in the same pod:

1)   WN8 primarily measures your ability to consistently do damage - no matter the tier, no matter the tank

2)   Win Rate primarily means you are just on the winning team - no matter what you do. - no matter the tier, no matter the tank

Those two correlate very well with very good players, for obvious reasons.    They don't correlate nearly as well for people who "think" they are a good player but really aren't.    Good players can reproduce those numbers at every tier, in nearly every tank.   

R2D2CAT #29 Posted Apr 06 2019 - 23:26

Captain

• Players
  • 13890 battles
  • [I_I_F] I_I_F

View PostSmoked_Maple_Bacon, on Apr 06 2019 - 13:41, said:

my reason for having XVM

1) to know if the guy beside me could be help or hinderance

2) when the epic pro unicum chat warrior blames everyone for sucking, you can see that every team they are on, is down a player for the most part

3) when you see really good players in certain tanks, you know they are not dumb to be baited in, or know when to push

I just reinstalled XVM actually, in part for garage mods.

Unkempt40k #30 Posted Apr 07 2019 - 00:58

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 3209 battles
  • [0VER] 0VER
Shows me I'm improving. 

2MOEJOE #31 Posted Apr 07 2019 - 02:24

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 3506 battles

View PostVeracks, on Apr 06 2019 - 15:49, said:

Thats a nice fantastical argument.Sorry buddy wn8 is a better indicator of the player not the winrate especially since 3 5 7 became a thing.

Edited by 2MOEJOE, Apr 07 2019 - 02:25.

R2D2CAT #32 Posted Apr 07 2019 - 02:33

Captain

• Players
  • 13890 battles
  • [I_I_F] I_I_F

View Post2MOEJOE, on Apr 06 2019 - 19:24, said:

Thats a nice fantastical argument.Sorry buddy wn8 is a better indicator of the player not the winrate especially since 3 5 7 became a thing.

Good players still have high winrates. Anyone can damage farm for wn8, but it takes skill to win consistently. The fact that unicums still have purple winrates shows that they can and do influence games even with 3 5 7.

BigNaturals #33 Posted Apr 07 2019 - 03:42

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 53710 battles
  • [MAHOU] MAHOU
i play to compete i have other games to play to rage and dont care in on Steam

Mikosah #34 Posted Apr 07 2019 - 06:25

Major

• Players
  • 17582 battles

In the hypothetical where the game never even tracked stats to begin with, odds are the playerbase would be a lot less salty. The reason why is because stats are a permanent record, if you do badly enough for long enough, that record will be forever stained. A sufficiently terrible session that does this feels no better than having one of your possessions stolen. Perhaps if you run fast enough and the circumstances are kind, you might catch up to that metaphorical 'robber', beat him to a pulp, and reclaim what was yours. Or you might not. But the moment you even try, the game becomes work and every little setback becomes torture.

This wouldn't be an issue at all if attention were simply put elsewhere. Finishing a grind, completing a mission, maybe even enjoying the gameplay itself on its own merits. But if there's no other goal to occupy the player's attention and gameplay itself ends up being frustrating (even strictly in the short-term), what do you expect the player to do? High skill in WoT isn't the kind of thing that can be reliably demonstrated in one exchange or even an entire match, circumstances are far too random for that. Real talent only exists in long-term averages, strictly in abstract form. What else can you take credit for? That cool ammo rack from two matches ago, perhaps? Too bad it wasn't really deliberate or repeatable, just a dice-roll.

21Blackjack #35 Posted Apr 07 2019 - 12:09

Major

• Players
  • 20794 battles

View Post_Tsavo_, on Apr 06 2019 - 17:57, said:

I just play and my stats increase.  :P

Keep the fun, if stressing about stats is dampening the fun, then don't stress and go make some dude do the dead.  

I just play and my stats decrease. :P

Caketime #36 Posted Apr 07 2019 - 13:54

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 2064 battles
  • [-H-H] -H-H

View PostR2D2CAT, on Apr 06 2019 - 17:49, said:

I got back into the game a few days ago and decided to stop checking wotlabs after every session. I realized that I would become frustrated over my performance in a video game because a number was below 2450. I play the game because it is still fun for me, not for a number. I still try to play my best but I don’t need to be frustrated when I don’t show purple at the end of a day. Stop worrying about stats and just play. It’s a whole lot less stressful.

I think it's easier to walk away from the stat page after "turning the corner" having learned how to play well. For someone like me it's a progress report, it lets me know how I'm doing and how I can improve my gameplay, which enhances my game experience. Without sites like WoTlabs and streamers who are nice enough to offer real, tangible advice I would likely have stopped playing back in 2017 and never even tried to come back and give it another shot. My record is still trash, but it's been on an upward climb and the stat tracking does legitimately help.

My pops approaches the game the same way you are now, he never cared about his stats and manages to have fun anyway. The other day he says, "You ever notice how when you're doing what you're supposed to do, there's always some schmuck that pushes out too far and gets obliterated and proceeds to berate the entire team? It's always the dead guy, Charlie." He was right. It's always the dead guy.

Zwinmar #37 Posted Apr 07 2019 - 14:09

Sergeant

• Players
  • 17309 battles
  • [80PRF] 80PRF
Hey, XVM is great for finding those people who pat themselves on the back for being a unicorn, after all they are so great because they out play people by hitting the 2 key, then annoying the crap out of them with arty:arta:. It's not fair that arty can hit them while they completely negate armor after all.

R2D2CAT #38 Posted Apr 07 2019 - 18:33

Captain

• Players
  • 13890 battles
  • [I_I_F] I_I_F

View PostZwinmar, on Apr 07 2019 - 07:09, said:

Hey, XVM is great for finding those people who pat themselves on the back for being a unicorn, after all they are so great because they out play people by hitting the 2 key, then annoying the crap out of them with arty:arta:. It's not fair that arty can hit them while they completely negate armor after all.

There is more to unicums than gold ammo. ;)

Guido1212 #39 Posted Apr 07 2019 - 19:43

Community Contributor

• Players
  • 80183 battles
  • [CARTL] CARTL
Every morning I check my stats to make sure they are better than most people.  Then I quickly bathe in the glory of them.  If they are bad I go back to bed and sleep it off.  If your stats are worse than mine do not presume to answer this post.  If they are better, you sir are a dirty hacker.

vonkevin #40 Posted Apr 07 2019 - 19:49

Captain

• Players
  • 30650 battles

There is ONLY ONE stat that matters, and there is no way to measure it.

How much fun are you having?

Also tagged with Stats, Xvm

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users