Stop caring about stats

Stats Xvm

• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

mackinawjim45 #61 Posted Apr 09 2019 - 15:17

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 42605 battles
I went 5 for 16 yesterday, but still kept telling myself "this is fun!"...

Flarvin #62 Posted Apr 09 2019 - 15:20

Major

• Players
  • 53840 battles

View PostUnkempt40k, on Apr 09 2019 - 09:10, said:

No disagreement there, but if I never got better at a game, and were consistently getting beat down, I'd probably find a new game. Constantly losing can't be fun?

If you don’t care about losing, then it can be fun.

I have had some boring wins, and exciting loses. My performance has far more impact on my fun, than how my team does as a whole. The 3 matches I played last night, had fun in the 2 loses. And had a boring win. 

Plus with WoT 15v15 random player format, there is only 1 extra win in 10 matches to go from 45% to 55%. Not much of a difference, for the amount of skill increased. 

Altwar #63 Posted Apr 09 2019 - 17:14

Major

• Players
  • 57420 battles
  • [-GNR-] -GNR-

View PostUnkempt40k, on Apr 09 2019 - 06:10, said:

No disagreement there, but if I never got better at a game, and were consistently getting beat down, I'd probably find a new game. Constantly losing can't be fun?

This is dependent on circumstances.  I tend to win ever so slightly more here in WOT than I lose.  I find this game to be quite enjoyable.  

I play board games with my kids and get thumped quite often, losing quite a bit more than I win.  I have more fun doing this by far, for obvious reasons.

R2D2CAT #64 Posted Apr 09 2019 - 18:12

Captain

• Players
  • 13951 battles
  • [I_I_F] I_I_F

View Postmackinawjim45, on Apr 09 2019 - 08:17, said:

I went 5 for 16 yesterday, but still kept telling myself "this is fun!"...

You can have fun and still lose. Some of my most fun games have been the desperate last stands. :)

Caketime #65 Posted Apr 09 2019 - 18:20

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 2064 battles
  • [-H-H] -H-H

View PostUnkempt40k, on Apr 09 2019 - 15:10, said:

Sure it is, especially when you've turned a corner in your stat averages and the only stat that won't go higher is your win rate. I had a tremendous game today, got high caliber, scored a bunch of awesome shots and made multiple key kills, and we still lost. I'm not even sure how to feel about it, nor am I sure how to feel about the other games where I did my part and we lost anyway. It's almost as if my contribution means nothing, because there's some games where I can't pen anything even with APCR and we win handily.

moogleslam #66 Posted Apr 09 2019 - 18:34

Major

• Players
  • 44779 battles
I love stats in the sense that they're a measurement of my progress, and I certainly always want to be improving.  Beyond that, I don't care what they are, just that they are.  This game wouldn't be nearly as fun if there was no tracking.  I like looking at these things outside of battles and in spreadsheets etc.  I have a lot of personal goals based on my stats.  That said, when the battle starts, I never think about any of them, and I am just looking for ways to win.

Copacetic #67 Posted Apr 09 2019 - 20:39

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 44370 battles
  • [ZEUS] ZEUS

View PostCaketime, on Apr 09 2019 - 18:20, said:

Sure it is, especially when you've turned a corner in your stat averages and the only stat that won't go higher is your win rate. I had a tremendous game today, got high caliber, scored a bunch of awesome shots and made multiple key kills, and we still lost. I'm not even sure how to feel about it, nor am I sure how to feel about the other games where I did my part and we lost anyway. It's almost as if my contribution means nothing, because there's some games where I can't pen anything even with APCR and we win handily.

Your win% is in line with your wn8 bud. With as few battles as you have you need to stay in lower tiers snd away from all those t8 premiums you bought.

ChaseR392 #68 Posted Apr 09 2019 - 23:02

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 5887 battles

View PostCopacetic, on Apr 09 2019 - 20:39, said:

Your win% is in line with your wn8 bud. With as few battles as you have you need to stay in lower tiers snd away from all those t8 premiums you bought.

How many games at lower tiers is enough? 

I only ask because you are choosing to post from an account where less than 10% of your games were played at Tier 5 and below... and the vast majority are at Tiers 8,9 and 10. Your stats are impressive... is this your original account? If you are simply so good that you were able rush up the tiers without stumbling along the way... well done. If you re-rolled 5 years ago to escape your original "tomato" period and not have it drag down your stats (like a fair number of vocal ****-stirrers on this forum) perhaps taking subtle jabs at newer players is not the best use of your time on this forum.

In fact it is the very reason that stats should be hidden before a battle... 99% of the time people in chat aren't saying target "X" tank he is a unicum... they are ripping their own teamates and giving up before the match even starts. Stats should be to measure personal improvement and measure it against a game-wide average.... they shouldn't be so keyboard commandos can feel better about themselves by ripping on everybody that is a "lesser" player than them.

I honestly don't get why so many people have a chip on their shoulder when it comes to premium tanks... WG exists to make money... premium time and premium tanks pay the bills and keep the game alive. If you excel without buying either... more power to you. But plenty of players tire of getting clobbered at lower tiers and its nice to spend a little dough and at least jump in mid-tier tank with a 100% crew that doesn't need a painful grind to unlock modules. I'm frankly tired of hearing people tell other players to go get crap stomped in Tiers 2-3 for 20k battles before you've "earned" the right to be farmed at higher tiers by them... and that goes double for people posting from alt accounts.

Feel free to ridicule my stats as well... they aren't much better than the forum member you choose to take a dig at. And if you think Caketime is a wallet warrior with his premium tanks... you'll have a stroke snooping at mine. If their is a Premium available that I think is cool... I'm gonna buy it... its my choice.

Knock my Tier 8 winrate all you want... but until 3/5/7 was relaxed it was bottom Tier 90% of the time and I refuse to be a gold spammer. I can assure you regardless of tier they are just as many players in tech tree ground tanks that can lose a battle just as easily as my mediocrity. Does a Tier 10 heavy driver that still hasn't figured out which side of a map to go to get a pass because he didn't buy his tank????

R2D2CAT #69 Posted Apr 10 2019 - 21:12

Captain

• Players
  • 13951 battles
  • [I_I_F] I_I_F

View PostCopacetic, on Apr 09 2019 - 13:39, said:

Tier 5 and tier 6 is a great place to practice.

Caketime #70 Posted Apr 10 2019 - 21:38

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 2064 battles
  • [-H-H] -H-H

View PostCopacetic, on Apr 09 2019 - 20:39, said:

Yes I know my win rating is in line with my wn8, I was a little frustrated with my game performance that day. I find it interesting that you would choose to quote me to say this, did you also look through my tanks list? My premiums were gifts and they're useful for training crews, getting more credits, etc. I see no reason to stop using them, especially when my competition at all tiers is using premium rounds and consumables. I don't have tens of thousands of battles bankrolling my credit consumption or backing my crews, and I'm trying to compete with people who have literal years more experience than me, AT ALL TIERS of play.

Maybe I should just quit, right? :sceptic:

Copacetic #71 Posted Apr 10 2019 - 21:59

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 44370 battles
  • [ZEUS] ZEUS

Well this is my only account.

I don't recall ever really sucking at this game. I'm sure I did, guess I've blocked it out. But I do remember having like a 49% win rate and I do have memories of doing stupid stuff in low tiers like making no attempt to scout while being teams only scout. Or turning my back on enemy tanks and trying to run away when I should have just face hugged them to death. I also remember early on having a lot of problems penning tanks cause I didn't know where to shoot, but then I learned about armor profiles and tanks.gg. I made a conscious effort to learn them. That was the beginning of the path to 'get gud'. I also remember when WG put the render and detection markers on the minimap. That helped ALOT! So did learning how to sidescrape.

Honestly I probably ran up tiers to fast. My first t9 was E75, back then it was really good tank (been powercrept since). That probably accounts for my win% in it despite being first T9. Just luck I picked that line. Other tanks in that line I didn't do so well.

First T10 was E50m. I rushed up that line and for a long time that's all I played. That explains why so many battles in it and only 50ish win rate. Now it's been powercrept ALOT with all the new T10 meds.

Personally I think a player shouldn't go up next tier without having at least 52% win rate in that tier with atleast 500 battles. Certainly have like 5k battles and good win rate before you get to tier 7. Do that and you won't get farmed when you move to higher tiers.

You for instance only have 3k games yet have alot of T8 prems that have poor win8. Take my advice and fall back in tiers until you learn game mechanics and tactics, you'll frustrate yourself and your teammates much less.

Fall back untill you start changing red, orange, yellow to green. Then move up. Both you guys are new and with  few battles still time to change the path you're on and become good players that teammates cheer when you carry them to victory. Don't be the T10 moron that doesn't know what side of the map he should be on, we have enough. And certainly don't come to the forums with tin foil. There is enough of them too.

Edited by Copacetic, Apr 10 2019 - 23:03.

_ShakeNBake_ #72 Posted Apr 10 2019 - 22:39

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 13977 battles
  • [W--W] W--W

I don't care about my stats.

I do, however, care about the quality of my gameplay.

Unfortunately, the only decent way to quantify the quality of my gameplay is through stats...

ez_money #73 Posted Apr 10 2019 - 22:53

Captain

• Players
  • 15595 battles
  • [BOND] BOND

View Post_ShakeNBake_, on Apr 10 2019 - 15:39, said:

I don't care about my stats.

I do, however, care about the quality of my gameplay.

Unfortunately, the only decent way to quantify the quality of my gameplay is through stats...

I agree. My general stats (WR, PR, etc) are better than the majority of players, but I am still only a "green" player at best (i.e. if I am on your team, don't expect me to carry...at all). As much as I try not to worry about stats and just have fun, I always fall into the trap of worrying about them too much. I have no idea why though...I just play for fun, I am not in a clan anymore so I don't have to maintain WN8, etc.

I guess it's just human vanity.

Lovegoat996 #74 Posted Apr 10 2019 - 22:57

Corporal

• Players
  • 44171 battles
  • [-G-] -G-
Stats indicate if you were playing well during a session. I don't like playing as a green to blue player (no offense intended) as I know I can play better. Everyone has their own way of thinking about it

Edited by Lovegoat996, Apr 10 2019 - 22:57.

Caketime #75 Posted Apr 10 2019 - 23:45

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 2064 battles
  • [-H-H] -H-H

Thanks for taking the time to reply Copacetic, I appreciate it.

I'm going to take your advice. It's solid and I'm really not comfortable with progressing anywhere past tier VII right now anyway. I like the two I have but there are other trees I want to try, and I'm not looking forward to tier VIII stock grinding. I don't really like grinding at all actually, and if I don't like how a particular tank handles when I first get in it I tend to stop playing it for a time.

I assume operator error for my bad plays, my replays confirm it. Sometimes I spot details in a replay that are not obvious to me at first, but probably would have been to someone who has more seat time. I think this is my biggest hamstring and I'm doing what I can to work on it, mainly practice and watching and reading gameplay tips. I roll around in the sandbox here and there as well, I haven't done that in a bit and I've been meaning to check out a few things. It helps to see the same map from different angles, as I said my seat time is lacking and I don't often see certain sides of various maps. I enjoy most of them, but the open ones with lots of micro terrain are my favorites.

I've been rambling for awhile, so thanks for reading my book and happy tanking. :)

Copacetic #76 Posted Apr 11 2019 - 03:11

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 44370 battles
  • [ZEUS] ZEUS

View PostCaketime, on Apr 10 2019 - 23:45, said:

Thanks for taking the time to reply Copacetic, I appreciate it.

I'm going to take your advice. It's solid and I'm really not comfortable with progressing anywhere past tier VII right now anyway. I like the two I have but there are other trees I want to try, and I'm not looking forward to tier VIII stock grinding. I don't really like grinding at all actually, and if I don't like how a particular tank handles when I first get in it I tend to stop playing it for a time.

I assume operator error for my bad plays, my replays confirm it. Sometimes I spot details in a replay that are not obvious to me at first, but probably would have been to someone who has more seat time. I think this is my biggest hamstring and I'm doing what I can to work on it, mainly practice and watching and reading gameplay tips. I roll around in the sandbox here and there as well, I haven't done that in a bit and I've been meaning to check out a few things. It helps to see the same map from different angles, as I said my seat time is lacking and I don't often see certain sides of various maps. I enjoy most of them, but the open ones with lots of micro terrain are my favorites.

I've been rambling for awhile, so thanks for reading my book and happy tanking. :)

Well I can tell from your stats that:

You're way to aggressive, your survival rate is about half what it should be. You're yoloing way too much and your lack of damage also reflects that. Can't do damage if your dead, value your tank over getting in just 1 more shot, know when to fall back. Don't go anywhere alone, if you're team lemmings to one flank, don't try to cover the other alone. A flank is just where one side of where your team is at that moment, fall back and stay near your team and prepare to cover you base if you have to. Or lead the damn lemming train. Both are better than dyeing alone.

You need to be more patient stay alive a lot longer and do more damage and increase your K/D ratio. THIS DOESN'T MEAN RED LINE CAMP. You have to learn how to trade well and conserve your hit points yet do damage early. Doing damage after the game is decided is worthless. I see lots of noobs do this then come to these forums [edited]and blaming MM for giving them bad teammates cause they had top damage and still lost. Learn to do damage early yet stay alive to till end game then carry.

You also play a lot of different tanks in a lot of different Tiers, that's hard to do and do well. Cut back some maybe.

Get green before you move to higher tiers, your Win8 looks like a slaughterhouse.

Edited by Copacetic, Apr 11 2019 - 03:12.

3bagsfull #77 Posted Apr 11 2019 - 03:25

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 2713 battles

View PostR2D2CAT, on Apr 10 2019 - 20:12, said:

Tier 5 and tier 6 is a great place to practice.

A LeF driver hear you.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uSTOHa4Im4

Witchbell #78 Posted Apr 11 2019 - 03:52

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 21352 battles
  • [RGS-V] RGS-V
Huh.. I never actually knew this site existed. Apparently I'm in the 1500s WN8 with a 54% Win Rate. That's about where I should be as a person who loves mid tier Artillery and Ambush TDs. Stats don't really matter to me. I only care about having fun with the tanks I like to play. 

SynfulSun #79 Posted Apr 11 2019 - 04:11

Major

• Players
  • 13859 battles
  • [CMPRE] CMPRE

I cared about stats when I was still a student, I wanted to be in decent clans (skill level-wise) and had so much free time to spend watching Unicum level streams and reading guide after guide, I TRULY cared about being a better player to such a degree that stats were sort of the end all be all to me. Nowadays, I don't have anywhere near close to the free time or energy I had back then (and this is easily noticed if you decide to look up my graphs or whatever, I was going up until a certain point, then slowly going back down), so I just play to kill some time. In a way, I guess I could just say that simply collecting fun tanks replaced raising my stats, as my WoT goal.

Point is, everyone has their own different ways to enjoy the game. While some might be more inclined to side with college student me, some others will play for the same purposes of current me, and some might play for completely different reasons altogether. As long as they don't grief other players, I don't see an issue with how other people decide to play this game, and neither should you.

Edited by SynfulSun, Apr 11 2019 - 04:13.

Copacetic #80 Posted Apr 11 2019 - 04:22

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 44370 battles
  • [ZEUS] ZEUS
play how you want, just don't come to forums saying stats don't matter or MM is rigged or any of the many other BS crap that people come up with.

Also tagged with Stats, Xvm

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users