Best Medium tank line

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
19 replies to this topic

Poll: Best Medium tank line (113 members have cast votes)

Which is the best Medium tank line?

1. USSR - [T54] (28 votes [24.78%])

Percentage of vote: 24.78%

2. German - [E-50] (28 votes [24.78%])

Percentage of vote: 24.78%

3. American - [Patton] (57 votes [50.44%])

Percentage of vote: 50.44%

Vote Hide poll

Navlem #1 Posted Sep 20 2011 - 18:37

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 6970 battles
I have a sudden interest in medium tanks and would like to know which is the best tech tree to go into and why?

Thanks in advance! :)

edlewies #2 Posted Sep 20 2011 - 18:52

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 13311 battles
they are all good.

TheRonmasteh #3 Posted Sep 20 2011 - 19:00

Major

• Players
  • 32709 battles
  • [CAZA] CAZA
Ergh...   "Best"? There is no 'Best of overall' medium tank if you refered to that.

The "OK" Medium that hits the middle of everything probably its the Patton. It has very good secondary specifications (Like View Range), Good-to-OK acceleration, ok-to-good Gun in exchange of a slightly weak but still reliable armor.

The "scout" medium award will go for the T-54 (until the frenchs take the throne). Its Russian after all. Very light, a very small profile, good maneurability, AWESOME acceleration, invincible excellent frontal armour, somewhat good gun in exchange of bad accuracy, weak armour on sides and rear, and some glass-made modules and ammo rack as in every russian tank (but not as the T-44)

The "Heavy"-"Sniper" medium goes for the E-50 (Heavy medium will be dethroned MUCH more later with the British). Awesome armour for a medium, OK gun with awesome aim and very nice RoF and a high top speed in exchange of acceleration (Kinda OK but not so much) and Size (Really. Its just a Baby King Tiger)

For the "best of overall" depends of your playstyle now. For me, I've seen some Patton elite drivers that are really deadly.

E-50 is deadly as well. For some its even more deadly than the Patton.

T-54 had its days when it was OP. Now its not very feared

Navlem #4 Posted Sep 20 2011 - 19:10

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 6970 battles
Maybe i'll change my point slightly.

Which medium tank line eats heavies for breakfast? Maybe in a brawl or something.

TheRonmasteh #5 Posted Sep 20 2011 - 19:12

Major

• Players
  • 32709 battles
  • [CAZA] CAZA
Brawl? Probably the T-54

paradat #6 Posted Sep 20 2011 - 19:24

Major

• Players
  • 30066 battles
  • [TBW] TBW
If you are looking at the whole line then I would have to go with the Americans, the Germans and the Russians have some very excellent stars but the Americans have a great average from tier to tier. M7, M4, easy 8, T-20, Pershing, Patton. All of them are very good.

I you just want something now and are only going to play the end line tank then the T54 is excellent. Or just buy the Type 59 premium tank that thing is a nightmare to heavies in a brawl.

Chiyeko #7 Posted Sep 20 2011 - 19:28

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 3898 battles
all around I go for the USA line, want to take things up close and personal well the Russians over you all the tools or perhaps you prefer to nail that little commander cupola at 500m well than the Germans are right there only they sit at 600m because otherwise it would be to easy.

I am probably going USA meds after I elite my T-54 they seem very nice and I always fear them unless they get in a brawl than generally I can take them (only to be blasted to smithereens by some German med...)

PTwr #8 Posted Sep 20 2011 - 19:29

Major

• Players
  • 28308 battles
  • [4FREE] 4FREE

View Postparadat, on Sep 20 2011 - 19:24, said:

I you just want something now and are only going to play the end line tank then the T54 is excellent. Or just buy the Type 59 premium tank that thing is a nightmare to heavies in a brawl.

It bounces of Mauss, literaly, I saw it trying to brawl with behemot, monster propably heard bing bong and while driving in sniper mode threw little ant aside. :)

Navlem #9 Posted Sep 20 2011 - 20:28

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 6970 battles

View Postparadat, on Sep 20 2011 - 19:24, said:

If you are looking at the whole line then I would have to go with the Americans, the Germans and the Russians have some very excellent stars but the Americans have a great average from tier to tier. M7, M4, easy 8, T-20, Pershing, Patton. All of them are very good.

But T54 is better right? Or if i buy Type 59 its not worth going up to T54 anymore?

amuro #10 Posted Sep 20 2011 - 21:33

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 6963 battles

View PostNavlem, on Sep 20 2011 - 20:28, said:

But T54 is better right? Or if i buy Type 59 its not worth going up to T54 anymore?

type 59 compared to T-54 is toyota prius being compared to f1 race car. T-54 is million miles ahead in performance then type 59.

ramp4ge #11 Posted Sep 20 2011 - 21:57

Major

• Special Beta Testers
  • 315 battles
I voted for the US route.

The US route really is a "jack of all trades" route. The mediums in that route excel at nothing but they're bad at nothing either. They seem to just fit in with whatever playstyle you want them to and aren't limited by some of the problems the other two lines face.

T-54 is still an extremely powerful tank, but only from the front. If you can get to it's sides or rear (easier said then done) or face-hug it and blow away it's commander's hatch, the Patton will win most of the time.

That being said, ALL of the tier 9 mediums are ridiculously overpriced when it comes to repairs. They cost as much to repair (or more) as their tier 9 heavy counterparts and this can be daunting when the choice comes between sitting back or exploiting a flank. But the good news is, if you do well, they make a lot of money, so you can easily cover a few terrible games with a single good game.

hiroshi_tea #12 Posted Sep 20 2011 - 22:05

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 15546 battles
All the mediums are capable of taking on heavies and winning.  However it's essentially a rule that the tier 9 heavy will beat the tier 9 medium in a straight up 1v1 no holds barred fight.  The teir 9 medium will have to outplay the heavy in order to win - nothing is assured as a medium player

I voted for the USA tree because it seems to be the most balanced out of all of them.

The patton is the damage dealer.  It fires quickly and does a huge amount of damage.  It also has the best gun depression out of the others so it can use a lot of terrain advantages which makes up for its lackluster armour.  It is capable of brawling very well and is probably the most effective medium to form packs with because of its high DPS and good performance characteristics.  I don't have much to say about this tank because I don't have it yet but I'm pretty sure that I'll love it once i get my grubby hands on it.  The tank has insanely good damage, with good balanced characteristics

The T-54 is a maneuverable and is based around luck.  It's gun doesn't do as much damage as the other and isn't all that accurate.  But what the T-54 fearsome is that it gets lucky all the time.  The tank relies on enemies missing their shots because it's so maneuverable and even if the T-54 gets hit, it has a very good chance of bouncing the shell because of its sloped armour.  Granted, in a straight up fight against other tier 9 mediums, the T-54 is typically at a disadvantage because it needs room to maneuver, can't withstand too much focused fire due to low HP, and the gun lacks damage.  It's biggest strength is that it effectively causes chaos among enemy lines and is quite hard to take down because it always has lady luck on its side.
http://img.photobuck...-54-win-1-1.jpg

The E-50 is a high powered sniper and a damage sponge.  It's basically a Tiger II with a really good gun and a crazy powerful engine.  The gun is a scalpel with good accuracy and damage - about even with the Patton gun, but fires a bit slower.  The front armour is great at bouncing shells at a distance and can bounce a good number of shells up close too with proper angling/positioning.  It also has the highest amount of HP out of all the mediums and can take a few hits and can serve as a "heavy tank" for the team if needed.   While the E-50 excels in the sniping role, It can handle itself in close range engagements.  but the brawl is more like a head to head slugging match until something blows up because its traverse rates aren't all that great.  While it can get up to high speeds, it turns like a brick so circle brawling other tanks is out of the question.  You face hug and hope that the other tank dies first.  THe E-50 also weighs a lot more than the other mediums which makes it a phenomenal battering ram - ramming a target at full speed can cause massive damage to other medium tanks and is usually done before engaging another tank in close combat.  Overall, it's a very strong tank and is best off fighting at longer ranges where the traversing and the loser RoF aren't an issue.
http://img.photobuck...t/e-50-win3.jpg

TheRonmasteh #13 Posted Sep 20 2011 - 23:19

Major

• Players
  • 32709 battles
  • [CAZA] CAZA

View PostNavlem, on Sep 20 2011 - 20:28, said:

IF you just want to get the "playstyle" tank and you really dont concern for the Performance, the T-59 fills in.

Its just a T-54 turret on a T-44 hull (as I've heard, ammo-racking is not problematic as on the T-44) that mounts the same 100mm that is on the T-44.

In comparison with the T-54, it has slightly worse maneurability, horrible accel (OK for a medium. Pretty bad for a scout. Hence, T-54 role), and just 560 HP.

Löwe's performance rule also applies with the Type 59: They are inferior to the T-44 because they are too busy printing money.

1858remington #14 Posted Sep 21 2011 - 05:45

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 26508 battles
  • [GAZOO] GAZOO
I like the American M4 with the 105 gun.  The 105 makes this tank eat heavies for breakfast.  The M4 is like having a Wolverine with more armor and better mobility.  This tank is going to stay in my garage, i love it to much to part with it.

Kovox #15 Posted Sep 23 2011 - 03:09

Corporal

• Players
  • 11481 battles
Finally got all the tier 9 mediums and was surprised that I prefer the Patton. Shouldn't really be surprising though since I still play the M4 and T-20 a lot. If I had the silver and garage space, I'd also still have the Easy 8 and Pershing. Kept a couple of german and russian mid-tiers but I don't make a point of playing them as much. The whole american medium line, as opposed to any tree's end tank, wins hands down. It was my last medium and heavy trees climb so I expected it to be a grind, but every step was fun.

There's a feel I had to experience before I could say this. Stats and seeing others play didn't tell the whole story. I'd look at stats and play the best tank ever, T-54, and wonder about the other 2. Now I know what's right for me but had to go through all 3 trees to find out. Friend of mine loves the E-50. I will always have a soft spot for the T-54 and will never stop playing it. I even ordered a small T-54 model but the Patton is now my best medium.

While sniping vs brawling may be a consideration, a medium has to be able to brawl - whether I initiate the brawl or the enemy does - it needs to feel natural at it.

T-54 has the sneakiest profile and great armor but lacks tight on-the-spot turning. Nothing scares me much in the T-54 since I can count on a few bounces.

E-50, while a great rammer, bothers me in terms of agility since they forgot to put brakes on it and it has a too tall profile. It was my 2nd tier 9 and still trying to master it but it just doesn't feel like a medium the way the others do.

Patton turns on the spot as germans are famous for and also has that gun depression I now count on - miss it a lot on the other 2. The Patton's gun is perfect for it's character.

As for looks, for what it's worth, all 3 are a 10.

hxcd #16 Posted Feb 17 2012 - 21:52

Corporal

• Players
  • 16841 battles
  • [BUNEH] BUNEH
I personally have not played any of them.
Ive noticed that if u get into a brawl with a T54, even with my tiger and can blow it up with not too much problem.
E-50s are a pain in my ***!! Im just goin' arond in my KT shoting people up when all of a sudden from out of nowhere im killed from a E-50
from accross the map. E50= insane sniper!
In all i try to avoid Pattons, If i get into a 1vs1 with them im scared.  Patton is pretty much average with everything.  Patton is just a good tank.
Hope that helps.
Hxcd :Smile_honoring:

Panzer4life #17 Posted Feb 18 2012 - 01:10

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 0 battles
While I've played all but the French up to tier 9, my vote goes for the Americans. Despite having lower top speeds, they're actually the most mobile mediums in the game. They also have effective main guns that tend to have excellent DPS, as well as strong turret armor and oddly sloped hulls. This is a trait that they start with at Tier 5 with the M4 Sherman, and carry on with until the Patton, and it makes them excellent at brawling. Also nice is the fact that the Patton and Pershing have excellent accuracy on the move. You can actually aim for weakspots while circling an opponent and unleash a barrage of semi-fast, powerful fire onto them.

Russian mediums are alright, but they have something of a firepower problem. The stock T-54 is possibly the longest, hardest grind I've ever had to endure purely because of the 175 penetration gun. Getting to that point is also kind of dull since Russian mediums never quite clicked for me, except for the T-34 with a 57mm :)

The German line likewise was...odd. Fast, but slow to accelerate. accurate guns with high penetration, but technically low damage output. If you feel like the only thing holding back heavy tanks is their speed (or wish to play TD's with turrets and use shoot and scoot tactics), and would like to trade armor for it, them look no further, the E50 in particular is basically a faster Tiger II with better firepower, and it doubles as a battering ram.

Cannot comment on the French yet.

__gabriel__ #18 Posted Feb 18 2012 - 03:30

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 16055 battles
  • [VILIN] VILIN
From top to bottom I'd say the US,

Naughtius_Maximus #19 Posted Feb 18 2012 - 05:10

Major

• Players
  • 20798 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC
Eh, my general opinion of the medium's traits are this:

Germans: Support/Sniper. They have a very good accuracy gun with very high DPM. Just don't think you can flank like other mediums, because this thing is essentially a flying brick in every sense of the word. It hurts when ramming but getting that speed takes forever (compared to others) and that high profile means that any attempt to flank risks losing a lot of life as you try to approach your flanking position.

Americans: Support/Flanker: The Americans have great soft stats that make taking advantage of terrain really easy. Very high DPM and above average HP make Americans difficult to force out of a critical position once they're there. On approach however they still have a relatively high profile and that limits the amount of situations where you can flank. (although less so than the Germans.)

Soviets: Flanker/....and maybe Scout: Low profile and high maneuverability (T-44 and T-54 only) means this line can get into a flanking position, get a few shots in, and then either retreat or hide when guns start pointing their way. In the lower tiers no one really places this line on the shoot first list. This means that of all the mediums the soviet one can take the most risks when getting to a flank position. They have bad soft stats like low DPM, below average HP, and bad depression that make holding a critical position suboptimal. While an American medium may get plastered going to a flanking position once they're there they are a lot more capable than a soviet medium is. Just play it like a ninja; slip in to a flank, retreat until your dot disappears from minimap, then slip in again. Surprisingly fun. Oh and the T-54 can hug and neutralize a LOT of tanks if it catches you alone.

French: Initial Salvo followed by Sweeper. I haven't gone down this line but I've noticed that the French players oftentimes use their speed to catch the enemy before they're entrenched. Once that's over I don't notice them changing the battlefield outcome until defenses have thinned and they can come in as a sweeper. I rarely see them flank because I think most players have learned that on approach ALL eyes are on you. Someone in that group you're trying to flank (followed by everyone else) will duck behind cover and shoot at you as you try to get to that position.) Flanking is almost futile with the french...

SlapnBadKids #20 Posted Mar 22 2012 - 20:43

Corporal

• Players
  • 13808 battles
If you wanna be able to fight other tier 9 mediums, I'd suggest going with the Patton or E50. The T-54, while having great armor, has the lowest alpha, and the lowest DPM of all the tier 9 meds. However the T-54 is the fastest overall, with a good turning radius even at max speed. The glory of the small tank is that it is easy to hug a Maus and other heavy tanks (primarily German tanks) with impunity, which I have done often and to good effect.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users