Best Tanks for Frontline - Complete Breakdown

frontline

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

dubious__ #1 Posted Apr 16 2019 - 02:39

Private

• -Players-
  • 17357 battles

So as probably most of you know it is currently the 3rd Frontline week this year and people are really beginning to get the meta down for what works and what doesn't. I don't know if I can say I am the best player at it currently but I have gotten top experience a fair few times. I wanted to provide my input on what I think are recommended tanks for this game mode as well as sparking other people’s opinions on what they would recommend.

After playing this mode extensively this is what I have come up with, please take my opinion with a grain of salt as everyone plays differently.

Depending on the side you are playing on the tanks that you chose will have a big impact on how well you can defend and attack caps and objectives.

Heavy Tanks

Defending

Personally, I think that there are 2 roles that heavies can play when defending, puppy guarding the cap and working flexibly to hold flanks.

Sitting on caps and objectives are usually tanks like the KV-4, KV-5, VK-100.01, O-Ho and M6A2E1. They are decent at holding back a number of enemies, for example, the buildings at the hill at C. Although they are decent for this role, they often play like one trick ponies, with a loss of control usually leading to you getting circled to death. Often once you have pushed back the enemy there isn't much for you to do in regards to relocating meaning you are a wasted player driving around an empty flank.

Flexible Tanks are usually the way to go when it comes to heavy tanks. Deployment is much quicker to at-risk flanks and relocating, retreating is actually possible in some situations. From what I have played and seen heavy tanks that do well in this mode are the 110, 112, 53TP, IS-3, IS-3A, Defender, WZ-111, AMX M4 mle. 49 and Lowe. Their frontal armor can easily hold their own in most situations, their playstyle, for the most part, is very similar. IS-3A is pretty op though.

Autoloading heavies are good but there can be drawbacks, tanks like the AMX-50-100, Souma, and the Emil are very good at maintaining pressure on cap circles and quickly reacting to defending objectives if they are under attack. Autoloaders can easily take out a full health tank if all their shots connect. Frontline also gives autoloaders plenty of time and space to reload without much risk. The drawbacks can be if you empty your clip with enemies still alive, sorta just got to wait it out, or if you are that desperate distract the enemy with your hit points to try and give your team more time. 

Attacking

For attacking I think that there are really only two playstyles, fast single shot heavies, and autoloaders. Anything slower than 30 really isn't effective besides trying to break a stalemate at a cap circle. I know I have had a few games in my VK where I spawn in and I am completely left behind due to my speed. (better just drown and respawn)

Similar to my description for defending tanks like the 110, 112, 53TP, IS-3, IS-3A, Defender, WZ-111, AMX M4 mle. 49 and Lowe work quite well for applying pressure to caps and brawling in the city for objectives 3 and 4. Great plays that heavies can with these tanks can be fast capping points like A, B, D, and E.  cap also works occasionally but it can often get messy.

Autoloaders can be really effective tools when attacking, they can take out any tank and since you are attacking it nobody will pressure you while you reload if you position yourself properly. Also for objectives, you can be the bane of the defending team if you unload an entire clip. For example, the AMX-50-100 and Souma are fantastic tanks for this role as you can destroy more than half an objective in with a clip, a huge play. The AMX-50-100 might be one of the best heavies just for its huge clip and mobility.

Medium Tanks

Defending

For this game mode, the best mediums are mobile, DPS monsters, you want to play this tank safe but also flaunting your gun handling, penetration. You usually act as the second line of defense, weaving between your friendly TDs and Heavies. Deployment is very quick for most mediums and you usually have ample hit points to brawl with aggressive mediums and lights. Mediums that I have seen do very well include the Progetto, Pantera, Type 59, Lorraine, T-44-100, T-54 mod. 1, and Centurion (and all its clones). The Italian tanks are very, very, very good at Frontline, their autoloaders do very well at picking apart enemies, mixed with the mobility to engage enemies quickly they are easily one of the better tanks to choose. Every flank for every cap can easily support a medium if they know what they are doing. Also defending objectives is a great job for mediums, as sometimes lights don't have the DPM or hit points to effectively protect the points.

Mediums that I see as underwhelming include the STG Guard, T25 Pilot 1, Pershing, and the T69, I almost never see these and when fighting them it is very easy to counter them.

Attacking 

Mobility will always be your best friend when attacking whether for sneaking behind objectives unspotted or to flank the defending team. From what I have seen your role usually involves rushing caps, and flanking empty flanks. For example, mediums and lights do exceedingly well at capping D. Tanks that I see doing very well yet again are the Progetto, Pantera, Type 59, Lorraine, T-44-100, T-54 mod 1. Remember that speed is your friend and you should be good. Also, remember that you can change flanks if something isn't working for you, there are 3 lanes and lots of opportunities to get into favorable positions.

Light Tanks

Defending

Defending with light tanks is very situational during your first life/ first 3-5 minutes of a game you can get into very advantageous position to try and slow down the enemy charge. Some of my favorite positions are the leftmost side of A cap or the rightmost side of C cap. The other play you can make is using your great mobility to quickly defend objectives or cap circles. Cap circles less so as you often die very quickly trying to get shots out and it is not really recommended.

Tanks like the M 41 90 mm, LT-432, Lynx 6x6, Panhard EBR 75 and the WZ-132 are all decent defensive light tanks but the role should more be focused on mediums as they can carry more weight once a flank has been defended as lights have an okay early game but weaker late-game.

Attacking

Personally, in my opinion, I think that light tanks attacking are the most powerful and influential role in the frontline. From harassing and lighting up TDs to solo killing entire objectives they usually carry most of the weight when attacking. Being able to change to any flank on the map in a few minutes is immensely powerful and with the addition of the wheeled light tanks, you can easily keep the defending team on their toes with their constant harassment. I thoroughly recommend ANY LIGHT TANK for frontline. Great plays you can make are fast capping zones before the enemy can respond, lighting up the enemy team as they are retreating and the best play you can make in the game, getting behind an objective while unspotted and killing the entirety of an objective before anyone can respond. Picking the cream of the crop though the Lynx 6x6, Panhard EBR 75, ELC EVEN 90, and the M 41 90 mm are excellent tanks. But in my opinion, the best tank in the game for Frontline is the LT-432 armor, DPM, reliable gun, great camo and crazy speed it is a fantastic choice. 

Tank Destroyers

Defending

The task that TDs were originally designed to do, camp out and just wait for all enemies to just feed you credits and exp. From what I have seen most TDs very similar, get to a decent high protected spot and rain down hell on everything rushing towards you. They are very good for protecting the objectives and I recommend them for late game carrying or early game repression. Tanks that I have seen do exceedingly well include the Skorpion G, Charioteer, TS-5 (ridiculous DPM), WZ-120-1G, and the SU-101 as they either have good mobility or armor profile.

Attacking

So far I can’t say I have seen any carries by people using TDs whilst attacking, granted you can make decent plays playing as a redline sniper picking off people defending the objectives such as 1,2 and 5. The same tanks listed for defending I would recommend for attacking although I would definitely recommend any other class as you will be able to assist the team better.

Self Propelled Guns

Idk just use the artillery strike or something, arty is for scrubs, it is a meme seeing 50 SPGs in queue though.

Al_Scarface_Capone_ #2 Posted Apr 16 2019 - 02:44

Captain

• Players
  • 36887 battles
  • [SNPAI] SNPAI
Progetto 46 dont @ me

gamagrass #3 Posted Apr 16 2019 - 02:51

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 11139 battles
  • [-STD-] -STD-
nothing on the Ferdinand? 

The_Illusive_Man #4 Posted Apr 16 2019 - 02:51

Major

• -Players-
  • 13326 battles

I notice that you are missing stuff..

Cent clones are all good at attacking as well as defending.

There are only two arty that are suitable for FL:

1. M40/M43
  2. Lorraine 155 mle. 51

But yes, arty needs to be addressed in FL. Either outright block players from using them, or have a long cooldown after using them (maybe 1 hour between queuing them).

The_Illusive_Man #5 Posted Apr 16 2019 - 02:52

Major

• -Players-
  • 13326 battles

View Postgamagrass, on Apr 15 2019 - 22:51, said:

Slow, and easy to pen. Not a tank you want in FL.

AnArmyofBun #6 Posted Apr 16 2019 - 03:07

Major

• Players
  • 13127 battles
  • [SUX] SUX
You may as well list the LT-432 as a medium tank. Because it is. 

cKy_ #7 Posted Apr 16 2019 - 03:18

Major

• -Players-
  • 4527 battles
  • [SNPAI] SNPAI

View Postgamagrass, on Apr 16 2019 - 13:51, said:

Ferdinand sucks lol. One of the worst TDs in the game. Slow, no turret, huge and no armour. Pathetic vehicle. Why you would ever play it over the much better Jgpanther2 I have no idea.

Caketime #8 Posted Apr 16 2019 - 03:19

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 2064 battles
  • [-H-H] -H-H
I've gotten some fantastic results with my Ravioli on Defense, you just have to know when to move to another spot or people will focus you with gentle caresses and steal all the cheese in your wagon. I like to switch between it and the Centurion, and if I manage to get killed more than once I use the T-44 FL. I used the Lorraine today for a bit, but I didn't like the accuracy of the cannon. It's great to close in on an unsuspecting target and smash 4 rounds into it and drive away, but it's a duck if you're trying to cap and you have to fire more than 4 shots.

21Blackjack #9 Posted Apr 16 2019 - 03:47

Major

• Players
  • 20836 battles

View PostK127, on Apr 16 2019 - 02:39, said:

So as probably most of you know it is currently the 3rd Frontline week this year and people are really beginning to get the meta down for what works and what doesn't. I don't know if I can say I am the best player at it currently but I have gotten top experience a fair few times. I wanted to provide my input on what I think are recommended tanks for this game mode as well as sparking other people’s opinions on what they would recommend.

After playing this mode extensively this is what I have come up with, please take my opinion with a grain of salt as everyone plays differently.

Depending on the side you are playing on the tanks that you chose will have a big impact on how well you can defend and attack caps and objectives.

Heavy Tanks

Defending

Personally, I think that there are 2 roles that heavies can play when defending, puppy guarding the cap and working flexibly to hold flanks.

Sitting on caps and objectives are usually tanks like the KV-4, KV-5, VK-100.01, O-Ho and M6A2E1. They are decent at holding back a number of enemies, for example, the buildings at the hill at C. Although they are decent for this role, they often play like one trick ponies, with a loss of control usually leading to you getting circled to death. Often once you have pushed back the enemy there isn't much for you to do in regards to relocating meaning you are a wasted player driving around an empty flank.

Flexible Tanks are usually the way to go when it comes to heavy tanks. Deployment is much quicker to at-risk flanks and relocating, retreating is actually possible in some situations. From what I have played and seen heavy tanks that do well in this mode are the 110, 112, 53TP, IS-3, IS-3A, Defender, WZ-111, AMX M4 mle. 49 and Lowe. Their frontal armor can easily hold their own in most situations, their playstyle, for the most part, is very similar. IS-3A is pretty op though.

Autoloading heavies are good but there can be drawbacks, tanks like the AMX-50-100, Souma, and the Emil are very good at maintaining pressure on cap circles and quickly reacting to defending objectives if they are under attack. Autoloaders can easily take out a full health tank if all their shots connect. Frontline also gives autoloaders plenty of time and space to reload without much risk. The drawbacks can be if you empty your clip with enemies still alive, sorta just got to wait it out, or if you are that desperate distract the enemy with your hit points to try and give your team more time. 

Attacking

For attacking I think that there are really only two playstyles, fast single shot heavies, and autoloaders. Anything slower than 30 really isn't effective besides trying to break a stalemate at a cap circle. I know I have had a few games in my VK where I spawn in and I am completely left behind due to my speed. (better just drown and respawn)

Similar to my description for defending tanks like the 110, 112, 53TP, IS-3, IS-3A, Defender, WZ-111, AMX M4 mle. 49 and Lowe work quite well for applying pressure to caps and brawling in the city for objectives 3 and 4. Great plays that heavies can with these tanks can be fast capping points like A, B, D, and E.  cap also works occasionally but it can often get messy.

Autoloaders can be really effective tools when attacking, they can take out any tank and since you are attacking it nobody will pressure you while you reload if you position yourself properly. Also for objectives, you can be the bane of the defending team if you unload an entire clip. For example, the AMX-50-100 and Souma are fantastic tanks for this role as you can destroy more than half an objective in with a clip, a huge play. The AMX-50-100 might be one of the best heavies just for its huge clip and mobility.

Medium Tanks

Defending

For this game mode, the best mediums are mobile, DPS monsters, you want to play this tank safe but also flaunting your gun handling, penetration. You usually act as the second line of defense, weaving between your friendly TDs and Heavies. Deployment is very quick for most mediums and you usually have ample hit points to brawl with aggressive mediums and lights. Mediums that I have seen do very well include the Progetto, Pantera, Type 59, Lorraine, T-44-100, T-54 mod. 1, and Centurion (and all its clones). The Italian tanks are very, very, very good at Frontline, their autoloaders do very well at picking apart enemies, mixed with the mobility to engage enemies quickly they are easily one of the better tanks to choose. Every flank for every cap can easily support a medium if they know what they are doing. Also defending objectives is a great job for mediums, as sometimes lights don't have the DPM or hit points to effectively protect the points.

Mediums that I see as underwhelming include the STG Guard, T25 Pilot 1, Pershing, and the T69, I almost never see these and when fighting them it is very easy to counter them.

Attacking 

Mobility will always be your best friend when attacking whether for sneaking behind objectives unspotted or to flank the defending team. From what I have seen your role usually involves rushing caps, and flanking empty flanks. For example, mediums and lights do exceedingly well at capping D. Tanks that I see doing very well yet again are the Progetto, Pantera, Type 59, Lorraine, T-44-100, T-54 mod 1. Remember that speed is your friend and you should be good. Also, remember that you can change flanks if something isn't working for you, there are 3 lanes and lots of opportunities to get into favorable positions.

Light Tanks

Defending

Defending with light tanks is very situational during your first life/ first 3-5 minutes of a game you can get into very advantageous position to try and slow down the enemy charge. Some of my favorite positions are the leftmost side of A cap or the rightmost side of C cap. The other play you can make is using your great mobility to quickly defend objectives or cap circles. Cap circles less so as you often die very quickly trying to get shots out and it is not really recommended.

Tanks like the M 41 90 mm, LT-432, Lynx 6x6, Panhard EBR 75 and the WZ-132 are all decent defensive light tanks but the role should more be focused on mediums as they can carry more weight once a flank has been defended as lights have an okay early game but weaker late-game.

Attacking

Personally, in my opinion, I think that light tanks attacking are the most powerful and influential role in the frontline. From harassing and lighting up TDs to solo killing entire objectives they usually carry most of the weight when attacking. Being able to change to any flank on the map in a few minutes is immensely powerful and with the addition of the wheeled light tanks, you can easily keep the defending team on their toes with their constant harassment. I thoroughly recommend ANY LIGHT TANK for frontline. Great plays you can make are fast capping zones before the enemy can respond, lighting up the enemy team as they are retreating and the best play you can make in the game, getting behind an objective while unspotted and killing the entirety of an objective before anyone can respond. Picking the cream of the crop though the Lynx 6x6, Panhard EBR 75, ELC EVEN 90, and the M 41 90 mm are excellent tanks. But in my opinion, the best tank in the game for Frontline is the LT-432 armor, DPM, reliable gun, great camo and crazy speed it is a fantastic choice. 

Tank Destroyers

Defending

The task that TDs were originally designed to do, camp out and just wait for all enemies to just feed you credits and exp. From what I have seen most TDs very similar, get to a decent high protected spot and rain down hell on everything rushing towards you. They are very good for protecting the objectives and I recommend them for late game carrying or early game repression. Tanks that I have seen do exceedingly well include the Skorpion G, Charioteer, TS-5 (ridiculous DPM), WZ-120-1G, and the SU-101 as they either have good mobility or armor profile.

Attacking

So far I can’t say I have seen any carries by people using TDs whilst attacking, granted you can make decent plays playing as a redline sniper picking off people defending the objectives such as 1,2 and 5. The same tanks listed for defending I would recommend for attacking although I would definitely recommend any other class as you will be able to assist the team better.

Self Propelled Guns

Idk just use the artillery strike or something, arty is for scrubs, it is a meme seeing 50 SPGs in queue though.

No ones playing frontlines, theres nothing but 30 arty sitting in queue.  Should give you an idea of how cancerous the game mode is.

Time to uninstall.  I thought maybe Frontlines would be WG finally having a good idea for once.  Nope, they are just idiots.  Everyone who was good who built the game are gone.  There is nothing but corporate boardpeople telling some greasemonkey what to do to try and squeeze money out of the players.  If I wanted that, I'd visit a casino.

Almighty_Johnson #10 Posted Apr 16 2019 - 03:54

Major

• -Players-
  • 27370 battles
  • [D-DAY] D-DAY

Heavy tanks I prefer the Souma, Patriot, and Lowe. (I don't play them often)

Mediums, T-44-100, Lorraine 40T, Type 59, and the Centurian derivatives (Primo, FV, etc)

Lights, maybe....  T-92, M41/90, LT-432 (of course) and the WZ-132

TDs I tend to play the more mobile ones, Skorpion, Charioteer, S-1 or Udes.  In defense maybe Ferdinand or T28 Proto

xXTheGameAceXx #11 Posted Apr 16 2019 - 03:55

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 11473 battles
Super P and Emil are both good for offensive and defensive. Just played a match tonight only using those two tanks and got top of the team. Super P is viable since it got the buffs a while ago and has a fair DPM and armor, while the Emil is able to dump a full clip into a variety of targets, and then can take its time to relocate and reload at the same time, especially offensively.

gamagrass #12 Posted Apr 16 2019 - 04:01

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 11139 battles
  • [-STD-] -STD-

View PostThe_Illusive_Man, on Apr 16 2019 - 02:52, said:

Slow, and easy to pen. Not a tank you want in FL.

View PostcKy_, on Apr 16 2019 - 03:18, said:

Ferdinand sucks lol. One of the worst TDs in the game. Slow, no turret, huge and no armour. Pathetic vehicle. Why you would ever play it over the much better Jgpanther2 I have no idea.

I do great on FL an seenother do far better than me.  Maybe you two have no clue what you are talking about.

GeorgePreddy #13 Posted Apr 16 2019 - 04:54

Major

• Players
  • 14680 battles

View Post21Blackjack, on Apr 15 2019 - 23:47, said:

No ones playing frontlines...

Is that why it takes me all of 3 seconds to get into a battle ??   Because "no ones playing".

You can take your ridiculously false claims and stick 'em.

Frontline is awesome.

gingerted91 #14 Posted Apr 16 2019 - 04:56

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 1494 battles
  • [MORDR] MORDR

View Postgamagrass, on Apr 16 2019 - 04:01, said:

I do great on FL an seenother do far better than me.  Maybe you two have no clue what you are talking about.

Have an open mind, mate. maybe a change will move you from "good enough" to "better"

9999bc #15 Posted Apr 16 2019 - 06:58

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 38824 battles

View PostThe_Illusive_Man, on Apr 16 2019 - 02:51, said:

I notice that you are missing stuff..

Cent clones are all good at attacking as well as defending.

There are only two arty that are suitable for FL:

1. M40/M43
  2. Lorraine 155 mle. 51

But yes, arty needs to be addressed in FL. Either outright block players from using them, or have a long cooldown after using them (maybe 1 hour between queuing them).

Why limit arty? Most arty shots/damage come from arty consumable. Actual arty does little damage, and can be easily killed by LT sneaking back into capped zone. 

AnArmyofBun #16 Posted Apr 16 2019 - 07:10

Major

• Players
  • 13127 battles
  • [SUX] SUX

View PostGeorgePreddy, on Apr 15 2019 - 20:54, said:

Is that why it takes me all of 3 seconds to get into a battle ??   Because "no ones playing".

You can take your ridiculously false claims and stick 'em.

Frontline is awesome.

I have been enjoying FL today.  Made it to rank 21 playing pretty casually in my lynx / lancen only.  Seems there's a lot of people playing.

Waylandie #17 Posted Apr 16 2019 - 07:13

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 17111 battles

View Post21Blackjack, on Apr 16 2019 - 03:47, said:

No ones playing frontlines, theres nothing but 30 arty sitting in queue.  Should give you an idea of how cancerous the game mode is.

Time to uninstall.  I thought maybe Frontlines would be WG finally having a good idea for once.  Nope, they are just idiots.  Everyone who was good who built the game are gone.  There is nothing but corporate boardpeople telling some greasemonkey what to do to try and squeeze money out of the players.  If I wanted that, I'd visit a casino.

Lol really, I logged in at midnight central time and didn't even have a wait time then.  I think someone is just hoping it fails.

Ratnikk #18 Posted Apr 16 2019 - 07:51

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 13551 battles
  • [DSRTD] DSRTD
Look at the top players in each fl battle everytime the best tank is the EBR, any other class of autoloader is good too. Everyone else who is f2p and has only crappy techtrees vechicles is gonna have a hard time making it to general every game. FL is paytowin thats the sad truth, well done wargaming.

TinManSmith #19 Posted Apr 16 2019 - 09:23

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 14493 battles

The only prems I run are gifts or earned through events.  That being said

I start with the su130pm.  Good vr, great dmg for defense or.clearing out for a cap.

Then it's either the pantera for defense or dmg and clearing out for a cap or the 110 for capping.  The 110 is my fastest heavy so I can get to the cap, has good dpm, and while not the sturdiest it still has some survivability.

If I'm really sucking out I'll use the t69 or defender but they're both pretty slow moving and aim time.

Edited by TinManSmith, Apr 16 2019 - 09:24.

kapri25 #20 Posted Apr 16 2019 - 09:26

Captain

• Players
  • 19733 battles
  • [KRUSH] KRUSH
I keep bringing my T28. It's hilarious to watch Defenders run away.

Also tagged with frontline

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users