Thinking about trying out WoT

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

ReddNekk #1 Posted Apr 16 2019 - 05:42

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 151 battles

Howdy! I'm a long time WoWs vet who's thinking about trying out WoT and have some questions.

What would be a good line to start with? I'm thinking about USA.

Can I transfer credits from WoWs to WoT? I have more credits than you can shake a stick at on WoWs.

What's the Artillery like? It aint mass murder I hope.

Is there a Co-Op mode, like in WoWs?

Edited by ReddNekk, Apr 16 2019 - 05:50.

Altwar #2 Posted Apr 16 2019 - 05:52

Major

• Players
  • 56833 battles
  • [-GNR-] -GNR-

View PostReddNekk, on Apr 15 2019 - 20:42, said:

Howdy! I'm a long time WoWs vet who's thinking about trying out WoT and have some questions.

Can I transfer credits from WoWs to WoT? I have more credits than you can shake a stick at on WoWs.

USA's not a bad line to start.  USSR is a no brainer in that way too.

Credits don't transfer, neither does gold or doubloons.

No co-op mode but there are training rooms if you just want to work on things.

Michelin2433 #3 Posted Apr 16 2019 - 07:31

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 77 battles

lol don't it's a genuine waste of time

I mean if that's what you want enjoy, but yeah

heavymetal1967 #4 Posted Apr 16 2019 - 07:58

Major

• Players
  • 69210 battles
  • [HSOLO] HSOLO

Welcome OP.  Have a plus one and a song. ;)

Fartnado #5 Posted Apr 16 2019 - 08:04

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 4923 battles

View PostMichelin2433, on Apr 16 2019 - 00:31, said:

Yeah.  It's what we want enjoy.  GFY.

OP, Just install the game and play it again!  Don't let any random forum [edited]help you decide.

Edited by Fartnado, Apr 16 2019 - 08:07.

PotatoLegend99 #6 Posted Apr 16 2019 - 08:15

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 33942 battles
  • [NEWBI] NEWBI

Through tier 6 the USA line is a solid choice for every tank type although I can't speak for any tanks below tier 5 because I haven't played them in years. Soviet line is the best choice for playing heavies at every tier. Italian line is also nifty in my opinion.

Arty is an emotionally charged topic for many although the stun mechanic is universally disliked. That aside it's personal preference. 1 arty shoots me, meh. 2 arty shoot me, I made a questionable play, time to retreat and make a different play. 3 arty shoot me, I'll be lucky to retreat and provide passive support for the rest of the game. All in all, as long as it's not 3 M44s shooting at my exposed rear or sides, I personally don't spare arty much thought. My constant worries are evading the view range of double bushed concealed tanks that can shoot me more than once every 20-30s and do much more damage in that time than arty.

Michelin2433 #7 Posted Apr 16 2019 - 08:39

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 77 battles

View PostFartnado, on Apr 16 2019 - 08:04, said:

Yeah.  It's what we want enjoy.  GFY.

OP, Just install the game and play it again!  Don't let any random forum [edited]help you decide.

that's toxic what

V_A_C_A #8 Posted Apr 16 2019 - 14:16

Major

• -Players-
  • 24215 battles

View PostReddNekk, on Apr 16 2019 - 01:42, said:

Hello, OP.
I'm a WoWs player, too (I started first on WoT, and then started playing WoWs).
1) "What would be a good line to start with?"
First of all: on WoWs you have different classes.
Probably you've researched all the classes to see how enjoyable they are.
Do the same, here on WoT. Explore the game and see on what classes you enjoy the gameplay.
Some terms that may sound "familiar" to you: powercreep and "InsertCountryName" bias.
Here on WoT there's a "meme" about russian bias. Keep that in mind. ;)

2) "Can I transfer credits from WoWs to WoT?"
Nope, but premium account time is shared.
WoT shares gold only with WoWP.
I don't think that have any WG game that shares credits.

3) "What's the Artillery like?"
I'm an arty player (as you can see on my signature).
The arty gameplay is very similar with the shooting gameplay on WoWs: it's about lead target on moving targets, dealing with the reload time versus target appearance (on lower tiers it's not a thing, but on higher tiers there's arties with ~40 seconds reload time, and here on WoT there's way more cover than the few islands of WoWs).

4) "Is there a Co-Op mode, like in WoWs?"
Mostly WoT is PvP, but since November/2018 (if I correctly remember) there were bots on lower tiers (1 to 5) to stop long queue times (i.e. if there's lots of real players, a fully PvP match will start, but if there's less players than 15 per side, the MM include bot players to fullfill the match). This is working on SA server (I'm not entirely sure if this happens on USC server, too - I'm a South American player ;) ;).

snailcrusher #9 Posted Apr 16 2019 - 15:25

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 1591 battles
Before you set up an account with WOT, you should check if there are any freebies for a new account.  There many be some promo codes for a free tank or free gold.

ChaseR392 #10 Posted Apr 16 2019 - 19:13

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 3598 battles

Don't listen to the haters... come and join us! 

Regardless of a solid 1/3 of the posts on this forum... the game is still very fun and rewarding to play (although it can be frustrating at times).

For a line to start... I suggest you browse this website: http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/World_of_Tanks

You can browse the various tanks and read up on their relative strengths and weaknesses... and get suggestions on which equipment to run (I wouldn't worry too much about that first... but you'll get there). I wouldn't say its the final word on anything... but trust me it will give you a considerable edge over another new player who does not use it.

If you have a new WOT account I believe you will be able to do the boot camp missions and earn a free token for a Tech Tree Tier 6 tank... my advice is to do these missions and then save the token for when you have a better idea about which Nation/Class you enjoy playing... then use the token.

Since you play WOWs... I'm sure you a familiar with premium time and premium items. Although I wouldn't recommend going out and spending a bunch of money on higher Tier Premiums... keep an eye on the premium shop for the starter kit specials... they will usually include gold, a month of premium time and low tier premium tank (sometimes with 100% crews) for a very reasonable price. Premium tanks make more credits so they can help finance your play in tech tree tanks.

Me personally (and this is just my opinion), I wish I had spent a little money in the beginning... I didn't and like almost all new players I struggled with under-trained crews and stock tanks with no unlocked modules making very little experience and credits. I would do things like battle without repair kits, med kits and fire extinguishers because they cost credits I didn't have. I'd battle with nothing but AP ammo, no premium or HE because it cost more, etc.

All I was really doing was battling with one hand tied behind my back. If I had spent $15 dollars and got a month of premium and had one decent premium tank with a fully trained crew I would have been much better off starting out. Again this is just my opinion and personal experience... plenty of players don't spend any money and excel at playing. 

the_Deadly_Bulb #11 Posted Apr 16 2019 - 19:18

Major

• Players
  • 25455 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

View PostV_A_C_A, on Apr 16 2019 - 05:16, said:

4) "Is there a Co-Op mode, like in WoWs?"

Mostly WoT is PvP, but since November/2018 (if I correctly remember) there were bots on lower tiers (1 to 5) to stop long queue times (i.e. if there's lots of real players, a fully PvP match will start, but if there's less players than 15 per side, the MM include bot players to fullfill the match). This is working on SA server (I'm not entirely sure if this happens on USC server, too - I'm a South American player ;) ;).

NA does not utilize bots yet.

They're required on SA due to the low server population there.

There are enough players on NA to do without the WG bots. 

ReddNekk #12 Posted Apr 16 2019 - 20:52

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 151 battles

Thanks folks! I finished boot camp last night and if that bot battle that came last is any indicator, I'm sure that I'll like WoT. I'd like to find a decent tier 3-5 USA Premie for crew training but there doesn't seem to be much to choose from.

View PostMichelin2433, on Apr 16 2019 - 07:31, said:

I've been playing War Thunder Ground Forces and in that Charlie Foxtrot you're endlessly disabled and helpless while repairing your vehicle after getting hit. And even if the hit doesn't pen, you're gun is frequently disabled. Plus you can be endlessly blasted by planes bombing and kamakazing you with no penalty for the plane users in Gaijin's approved and supported griefing system. That one is the waste of time.

Michelin2433 #13 Posted Apr 16 2019 - 20:56

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 77 battles

View PostReddNekk, on Apr 16 2019 - 20:52, said:

I finished boot camp last night and if that bot battle that came last is any indicator, I'm sure that I'll like WoT. 

it's not

View PostReddNekk, on Apr 16 2019 - 20:52, said:

I've been playing War Thunder Ground Forces and in that Charlie Foxtrot you're endlessly disabled and helpless while repairing your vehicle after getting hit. And even if the hit doesn't pen, you're gun is frequently disabled. Plus you can be endlessly blasted by planes bombing and kamakazing you with no penalty for the plane users in Gaijin's approved and supported griefing system. That one is the waste of time.

there isn't a good tank game out there is all

ChaseR392 #14 Posted Apr 16 2019 - 22:33

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 3598 battles

View PostMichelin2433, on Apr 16 2019 - 20:56, said:

it's not

there isn't a good tank game out there is all

Dude... enough...

The OP wants to try the game... he should be welcomed aboard... he doesn't need your s**t posting on his thread.

You aren't doing what your doing out of any sense of offering advice to a new player... your just a filthy re-roll troll posting on your alt account to stir up trouble... probably because you got forum banned on your main for the exact crap you a pulling right now.

And regardless of whatever lame argument or personal attack you attempt to launch to this reply.... 76 battles, near 65% win rate, over 1000 average damage a match.... RE-ROLL!

Post on your main account (the one that would lend weight to opinions with actual experiences) or shut it....

PotatoLegend99 #15 Posted Apr 17 2019 - 02:09

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 33942 battles
  • [NEWBI] NEWBI

View PostReddNekk, on Apr 16 2019 - 07:52, said:

Thanks folks! I finished boot camp last night and if that bot battle that came last is any indicator, I'm sure that I'll like WoT. I'd like to find a decent tier 3-5 USA Premie for crew training but there doesn't seem to be much to choose from.

Both Russian, but T-127 (light tank) and Churchill III (heavy) are 2 of the best tier 3 and tier 5 premium tanks. They are excellent crew trainers for the "OP" Russian lights/heavies and make a decent amount of credits, plus they have preferential MM (they'll never see tanks 2 tiers higher). 

If you're willing to to create a new account again, these invite codes might still work.

ReddNekk #16 Posted Apr 17 2019 - 04:07

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 151 battles
Thanks folks! I fought 15 battles today but only won 4 and survived one. (World of Defeats? :P) The M2 tank has the survivability of a cardboard box. I swear someone flipping me off did major damage. However, I like the game. I'm still figuring out what does what and the best way of fighting but it's always like that in a new game. IMHO, WoT is a helluva lot better than War Thunder.

MrBeetleBumEntertainment #17 Posted Apr 17 2019 - 04:43

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 4 battles

View PostReddNekk, on Apr 16 2019 - 05:42, said:

LOL when reading your post, at first I thought "oh hey another world of warcraft player coming over, sweet". Then I realized of course you meant world of warships.....

Either way welcome mate, I have a mission to help new players get the basics down so they can enjoy the game and stay awhile. Now you probably will be ahead of the curve due to playing WOW already but if there is anything I can help you with please ask. I have a youtube channel full of how to vids and I stream on twitch where I am known for answering all questions and showing in game how to implement what I talk about.

Best of luck killing the red tanks,

Cheers

Isola_di_Fano #18 Posted Apr 17 2019 - 04:51

Major

• Players
  • 23394 battles

Welcome aboard ReddNekk !

ReddNekk #19 Posted Apr 17 2019 - 06:24

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 151 battles

View Postheavymetal1967, on Apr 16 2019 - 07:58, said:

Welcome OP.  Have a plus one and a song. ;)

Thanks for the tune pard! I hadn't heard that one before. It kinda bought a tear to mah eyes. :)

dunniteowl #20 Posted Apr 17 2019 - 15:57

Major

• -Players-
  • 27807 battles

The "Enter Boot Camp" training is NOTHING like what you'll be experiencing as a player in regular public randoms.  You have been warned!

Welcome to the World of Tanks PC Madness!

The M22 Locust is not a bad US T3 LT trainer.  It's decently fast, has a nice gun (though not powerful) and very good view range as far as it goes at its tier.  Look into getting someone to "refer" you into WoT.  I believe that comes with perks for both the referree and referer, which is nice for both parties.

Additionally, as you are much smarter than I was when I started (I didn't even KNOW there were forums until after 6687 matches), allow me to do you a solid from my hard won experience over time:  The WoT Welcome Package (version 1)

The link contains the condensed list of materials I found to be the most useful and easiest to understand information that I consider to be Core Essential Information to play WoT and play it as well as possible.  I went through a long and laborious study/research period when I realized I was a crap player and knew that blaming the game, other players or what have you was not the path to improvement.  Mostly I did it because I found that I wasn't having all that fun I was supposed to be having while playing.

Use it in good health and be honest with yourself.  It WILL help you play this game with greater knowledge and understanding, which, to my experience, also improves all other aspects of playing, inclusive of that fun factor.  I know this is true, because it's what helped me get to be a better player who also now has more fun while playing.

As a last note in this post:  Please ignore the haters.  There is no logical reason I can find for someone who doesn't like the game to stick around and do their best to dissuade others from wanting to play.  It boggles the mind that folks who hate the game would remain, which all by itself tells you plenty about their mental makeup.  You can very safely IGNORE THEM as they have no useful words for you.

GL, HF & HSYBF!
OvO

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users