Tiger 1 tactics and strategy

Tiger 1 tactics strategy

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

Who__invader #1 Posted Apr 16 2019 - 13:55

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 57 battles
It turns out im horrible with my tiger and I cant figure out what im doing wrong. a lot of videos complain about the armor because you have to angle it perfectly to get a bounce especially at close range. Ive been either sidescraping or tying to snipe from far away especially when im lower tier I almost feel like im a one or two shot. Any tiger 1 fans tell me how to play it. most youtube reviews for this one just trash it but then say if played properly its great. well what the hell properly? I was running gun rammer binocs and camo net. I think im gonna switch out the camo net for GLD. the thing is im not good at shooting on the move yet so that's why I like the binocs I get a lot of damage assist points and I can stop and look around every once in a while. I don't know about vertical stabilizer. Enough about me lets talk about you guys thanks.

MagillaGuerilla #2 Posted Apr 16 2019 - 14:12

Major

• -Players-
  • 25836 battles
Rammer, stabilizer, coated optics. Stay behind your group and snipe from cover. Don't front line brawl, squishy armor doesn't brawl well. Use premium ammo if needed, there's nothing wrong with it if you need it to pen.

YANKEE137 #3 Posted Apr 16 2019 - 14:13

Major

• -Players-
  • 13859 battles
  • [6-ACR] 6-ACR
Tiger 131 and HT#6 work great as heavies at T6. But when you get to tier 7,  even with the long 88 you have to play it more like a TD.  You can't push from the front, support and try to save your HP for the second half of the game.

Firemoth #4 Posted Apr 16 2019 - 14:18

Major

• Players
  • 38038 battles

Vstab, Rammer, vent/GLD/optics

you are a support heavy, which means you hang back a bit in some good cover and poke tanks who come out to take shots at your own frontline. the ROF is decent, so its worth going for tracking shots to disable people for your teammates to pile in. late game if you have HP, you can muscle enemies with your huge HP pool and DPM.

sidescraping is about the best way to get use out of the armour. the turret can be a bit bouncy, but has alot of weakspots as well so its not reliable. otherwise pretend the H has no armour and relies solely on its huge hitpoint advantage

PTwr #5 Posted Apr 16 2019 - 14:41

Major

• Players
  • 45272 battles
  • [BITSA] BITSA

Long story short, currently it is XP piniata with decent gun. As game balance (MM, gold spam, small/corridor maps, mediums with bigger guns, etc) stands today, you are driving half-length TOG.

"Support heavy" is just polite form of "it sucks".

If you want to have fun, get Tiger 131 or HT 6, both are pretty much historical configuration and can hold its own in tier 6. They are almost identical, so pick one according to your crew training needs. 

Who__invader #6 Posted Apr 16 2019 - 15:21

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 57 battles
Hey I have another problem. whats up with gun/vertical stabilizer I don't see it available on any of my tanks. only GDL this includes tiger t34 ta43 stugIII whats going on here its not in my equipment options! I don't see stabilizer anymore either!

Edited by Who__invader, Apr 16 2019 - 15:23.

PTwr #7 Posted Apr 16 2019 - 16:34

Major

• Players
  • 45272 battles
  • [BITSA] BITSA

View PostWho__invader, on Apr 16 2019 - 14:21, said:

Hey I have another problem. whats up with gun/vertical stabilizer I don't see it available on any of my tanks. only GDL this includes tiger t34 ta43 stugIII whats going on here its not in my equipment options! I don't see stabilizer anymore either!

Not every tank have access to every equipment piece.

For example Vents require closed roof, no gun-rammer for autoloaders, bonus suspension comes in three or four kinds depending on tank construction, wheelies can't use binocs (good!), and there are also classes/sizes of many modules.

Vertical Stabilizer is rare below tier 8's, long ago WG used some historical reasons to decide which tank had access to it but I have no idea if they still do that. Anyway, (most?) Shermans have V-stab, Tigers don't.

When in doubt, you can use in-game Tank Compare tool to check such stuff.

grandthefttankV #8 Posted Apr 19 2019 - 08:18

Major

• Players
  • 35443 battles
  • [_EOS_] _EOS_

Vents rammer and gun laying drive. Vertical stabilizer is not available for this tank. Ignore everything anyone has told you about sidescraping, angling etc. It will not work unless you are top tier.

This tank is a sniper. Snipe targets from cover as your scouts spot them. Do not attack anywhere unless you are with other tanks, preferably heavies. Never attack alone. Even if you are top tier.

The key to playing this tank is understanding your tank’s dpm. Wait till the enemy fires, then pop out and take your shot. You may be able to fit two shots in before retreating into cover if the enemy tank is a slow reloader. If you are going to flank an enemy, again, understand your dpm vs the enemy’s. If you can fire two shots for every one round in return, you will win.

The learning curve can be a bit steep but it is a lethal tank if you learn to master it. Those who says it sucks are doing it wrong.

Who__invader #9 Posted Apr 19 2019 - 14:49

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 57 battles

View PostgrandthefttankV, on Apr 19 2019 - 08:18, said:

Vents rammer and gun laying drive. Vertical stabilizer is not available for this tank. Ignore everything anyone has told you about sidescraping, angling etc. It will not work unless you are top tier.

This tank is a sniper. Snipe targets from cover as your scouts spot them. Do not attack anywhere unless you are with other tanks, preferably heavies. Never attack alone. Even if you are top tier.

The key to playing this tank is understanding your tank’s dpm. Wait till the enemy fires, then pop out and take your shot. You may be able to fit two shots in before retreating into cover if the enemy tank is a slow reloader. If you are going to flank an enemy, again, understand your dpm vs the enemy’s. If you can fire two shots for every one round in return, you will win.

The learning curve can be a bit steep but it is a lethal tank if you learn to master it. Those who says it sucks are doing it wrong.

I I think your advice is great. But now can you see why I hooked it up with camo and binocs? In the YouTube research I've done especially the non unicum guide to the tiger one says you could create Holocaust amounts of damage with your SS crew. Buy SSI mean Super snipers. I thought that was pretty funny but I'm guessing I should sacrifice the Optics and what you're saying is reliable spotters and if I go with your setup will the vents provide me with better view range?

TrevorsT112 #10 Posted Apr 19 2019 - 20:02

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 9104 battles

View PostgrandthefttankV, on Apr 19 2019 - 08:18, said:

Vents rammer and gun laying drive. Vertical stabilizer is not available for this tank...

Like he said, I think V. Stab. is available starting at tier VIII in the German tech tree.

Hellsfog #11 Posted Apr 19 2019 - 22:38

Major

• Players
  • 37884 battles
  • [VILIN] VILIN

View PostFiremoth, on Apr 16 2019 - 08:18, said:

Vstab, Rammer, vent/GLD/optics

you are a support heavy, which means you hang back a bit in some good cover and poke tanks who come out to take shots at your own frontline. the ROF is decent, so its worth going for tracking shots to disable people for your teammates to pile in. late game if you have HP, you can muscle enemies with your huge HP pool and DPM.

sidescraping is about the best way to get use out of the armour. the turret can be a bit bouncy, but has alot of weakspots as well so its not reliable. otherwise pretend the H has no armour and relies solely on its huge hitpoint advantage

The only thing I would add to Firemoth's post is that the Tiger has very good DPM and base pen for a tier 7 heavy. In fact, its DPM may be higher than most tier 7 mediums.  

TrevorsT112 #12 Posted Apr 20 2019 - 15:38

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 9104 battles
I agree, DPM is a key part of this tanks makeup. According to the wiki, this tank is a medium to long range sniper. Try to avoid fist fights. Play around with its load out in compare. The stock 7.5 L/70 does 2112 DPM with an ROF >15. The top tier L/71 gun bumps it up to 2242 with an ROF < 10. Add vents and a rammer with BIA and it does 2604 DPM with 10.85 ROF. Add chocolate and your up to 2717 DPM with an ROF of 11.32. If you like playing the long range game, I would keep Binoc's in the third slot. If you like pushing up behind your front line for closer support with some brawling behind cover when needed, consider the GLD instead of Binoc's. But it will help a lot if your crew already has recon and situational awareness on top of BIA.

PHX_TripleH #13 Posted Apr 20 2019 - 21:50

Corporal

• Players
  • 29262 battles
  • [EZ_CO] EZ_CO
Tiger 1 is not a brawler, to me it's more of a heavy sniper with its accurate gun.

_Tsavo_ #14 Posted Apr 20 2019 - 21:56

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 45487 battles
  • [BRVE] BRVE

View PostWho__invader, on Apr 19 2019 - 08:49, said:

I I think your advice is great. But now can you see why I hooked it up with camo and binocs? In the YouTube research I've done especially the non unicum guide to the tiger one says you could create Holocaust amounts of damage with your SS crew. Buy SSI mean Super snipers. I thought that was pretty funny but I'm guessing I should sacrifice the Optics and what you're saying is reliable spotters and if I go with your setup will the vents provide me with better view range?

Tiger sniper is bad sniper.   Coated or vents, rammer, GLD.   DPM your way through your problems. 

Who__invader #15 Posted Apr 20 2019 - 22:14

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 57 battles

View Post_Tsavo_, on Apr 20 2019 - 21:56, said:

Tiger sniper is bad sniper.   Coated or vents, rammer, GLD.   DPM your way through your problems. 

The the problem is I keep getting one shotted at close range so DPM is not working for me

TrevorsT112 #16 Posted Apr 24 2019 - 15:11

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 9104 battles

View PostWho__invader, on Apr 20 2019 - 22:14, said:

The the problem is I keep getting one shotted at close range so DPM is not working for me

That is why it might pay to hang back a bit and make use of you Binocs.

oldewolfe #17 Posted Apr 25 2019 - 15:12

Major

• -Players-
  • 22721 battles
  • [1STBN] 1STBN

https://youtu.be/lPUxBk0cYAU

https://youtu.be/0hURKAI59s8

https://youtu.be/IoxDs9Y8oAw

https://youtu.be/w5aUrf3rWMw

https://youtu.be/jWDwS0gq1NE

https://youtu.be/ksyoPCBpz4k

TrevorsT112 #18 Posted May 01 2019 - 23:54

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 9104 battles

I agree, if you are not top tier, try and keep your distance from covered enemy positions. When top tier, you can also try slugging it out a bit from a good position. I really like the Tiger 1 in this game, and am thankful for the advice given from this community. I had the Tiger 1 in the video running Vents, Rammer, and Binocs with Chocolate. A good crew with nearly 5 skills including 6th sense, Recon, and Situational awareness.

Edited by TrevorsT112, May 01 2019 - 23:56.

SquishySupreme #19 Posted May 02 2019 - 00:45

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 3445 battles
From what I can tell, the Tiger is basically the EVEN 90's big brother.  It's sneaky, has excellent view range, and is a good back-line scout and finisher.   Like the EVEN 90, it needs a really good crew to do well.  

This is pretty unique in play-style.  Some people love it, some hate it - there's little in-between.

grandthefttankV #20 Posted May 07 2019 - 19:10

Major

• Players
  • 35443 battles
  • [_EOS_] _EOS_

View PostWho__invader, on Apr 20 2019 - 21:14, said:

Attack with other tanks. Wait till your buddy baits the red tank into firing then pop out.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users