Jump to content


winrate is not a reflection of player skill


  • Please log in to reply
801 replies to this topic

gingerted91 #281 Posted May 20 2019 - 04:56

    Staff sergeant

  • -Players-
  • 1462 battles
  • 279
  • [MORDR] MORDR
  • Member since:
    01-11-2015

View Postcheapbooks, on May 20 2019 - 01:45, said:

FV3805 - TIER 9 SPG

 

once again, I have a low winrate (35%) yet my dmg, kills, and spotting assisted are way higher lower than the top players (67%)

 

For April 2019:

 

RANK 148 - WOT RATING

RANK 161 - DAMAGE

RANK 169 - EXP

RANK 192 - KILLS

 

RANK 314 - WINRATE (35%) vs TOP PLAYER RANK #1 WINRATE (67%) 57.69

 

TOP PLAYER 67% 57.69 WINRATE:

ME 1039 DMG  - HIM 780 1683 DMG

ME .5 KILLS - HIM .35 0.83 KILLS

ME 807 SPOTTING Assisted - HIM 898 1020 SPOTTING Assisted

 

Am I yoloing and suiciding at the beginning of the game?

 

All of my stats are better than or as good as his. NO  Yet he has a mind blowing winrate and mine is as low as it can get.

 

so am I to guess that I completely throw the game at the end but this guy has that amazing magic that he turns every game into a win for his team even though he can't hit the broadside of a barn for the majority of the game?

 

high winrate = stat padding


Ummm not according to the Hall of Fame in the game...  here is a quick summary

 

View Postcheapbooks, on May 20 2019 - 01:47, said:

 

you are wrong.

 

you are looking at the average of all the players, not the best performing player.


Ummm, maybe check that ego mate... looks like you are incorrect.
 

View Postcheapbooks, on May 20 2019 - 01:48, said:

I showed that I outperform the high winrate players, doing more damage and kills, yet my WN8 is complete garbage and high winrate players have high WN8. please explain what I am missing.


The Hall of Fame shows you under performed in comparison to the top players in three separate months and overall.
 

View Post_Tsavo_, on May 20 2019 - 01:49, said:

You're deliberately being obtuse.  Stop grasping for boogiemen and outliers.

 

Yes, yes he is.

gingerted91 #282 Posted May 20 2019 - 05:21

    Staff sergeant

  • -Players-
  • 1462 battles
  • 279
  • [MORDR] MORDR
  • Member since:
    01-11-2015

View Postcheapbooks, on May 20 2019 - 01:56, said:

GW TIGER

 

So explain why I rank high for damage, kills, and spotting, way higher than most other players, yet my winrate is at the absolute bottom?
But you don't mate.

 

you have all brainwashed yourselves into thinking that winrate and WN8 = player skill when most of you are just stat padding.


Got it!  Don't understand WoT, don't understand padding, can't look up data, can't analyze data, data refutes your assertions and clearly shows performance much lower than the top players, and cue next excuse for bad performance


Posted Image

Edited by gingerted91, May 20 2019 - 05:25.


cheapbooks #283 Posted May 20 2019 - 12:47

    Captain

  • Players
  • 38971 battles
  • 1,141
  • [CBKS] CBKS
  • Member since:
    08-21-2013

on the web site 'noobmeter' is a statistic that proves that players with high winrates are playing over powered tanks.

 

https://www.noobmeter.com/tankStats/eu

 

There is a column called "op rating". this is a rating of how the winrate for that tank compares to the player winrate for other tanks. so if the number is high, that indicates the tank is overpowered, meaning that playing that tank will elevate your winrate.

 

in almost every case, perhaps 99% of the time, the players with the highest winrates are playing tanks with high OP ratings. that means that players with high winrates (57% as opposed to 52%) are primarily playing over powered tanks, whereby the tank is artificially inflating their winrates, making them look like better players when they are not.

 

winrate is not an indicator of player skill.



_Tsavo_ #284 Posted May 20 2019 - 12:51

    Major

  • Beta Testers
  • 46458 battles
  • 19,853
  • [RELIC] RELIC
  • Member since:
    02-16-2011

View Postcheapbooks, on May 20 2019 - 06:47, said:

 

winrate is not an indicator of player skill.

 

Wrong.   Again. 

Nixeldon #285 Posted May 20 2019 - 12:57

    Major

  • Players
  • 60881 battles
  • 2,270
  • Member since:
    10-30-2011

View Postcheapbooks, on May 20 2019 - 06:47, said:

winrate is not an indicator of player skill.

 

If the skill doesn't translate into winning matches, what good is it?

moogleslam #286 Posted May 20 2019 - 14:10

    Major

  • Players
  • 46393 battles
  • 4,980
  • [GURUS] GURUS
  • Member since:
    12-20-2013

View Postcheapbooks, on May 20 2019 - 07:47, said:

winrate is not an indicator of player skill.

 

Win Rate is one of many indicators of player skill, and in my mind, the best and most important.  There are two exceptions:  1.  Players who play low tiers to seal club against inexperienced competition.  2.  Players who platoon a lot.  Thankfully, that makes up a very small amount of the player base, so there's still huge value in looking at win rates in most cases.

 

All the specific tank stats you've been posting don't seem to align with any stats I can find (and it looks like you've already been disproven), but even if they did, you're posting obscure tanks that very for players own and/or very few players play.  You're also posting monthly stats in some cases, which is an insignificant sample size.  You might be ranked 150 at something, but if only 150 players have played the tank enough in a month to qualify, it's not so impressive.

 

If you can ever figure out how to improve your skill at this game, you will see that your win rate also improves, but you first have to recognize that you are not a good player.



NeatoMan #287 Posted May 20 2019 - 14:33

    Major

  • Players
  • 28198 battles
  • 20,687
  • Member since:
    06-28-2011

View Postcheapbooks, on May 20 2019 - 06:47, said:

blah blah blah

You are choosing the shtttiest method for determining player performance (WOT rankings) and then using that shtty method to debunk win rate. 

 

Look at you actual performance stats (kpg, dpg, etc).  Yours are right in line with your win rate.  Nothing more to see here. 

 

Bad at stats is bad at stats



Blackstone #288 Posted May 20 2019 - 15:07

    Major

  • -Players-
  • 21854 battles
  • 2,266
  • Member since:
    04-19-2011

View Postcheapbooks, on May 20 2019 - 06:47, said:

on the web site 'noobmeter' is a statistic that proves that players with high winrates are playing over powered tanks.

 

https://www.noobmeter.com/tankStats/eu

 

There is a column called "op rating". this is a rating of how the winrate for that tank compares to the player winrate for other tanks. so if the number is high, that indicates the tank is overpowered, meaning that playing that tank will elevate your winrate.

 

in almost every case, perhaps 99% of the time, the players with the highest winrates are playing tanks with high OP ratings. that means that players with high winrates (57% as opposed to 52%) are primarily playing over powered tanks, whereby the tank is artificially inflating their winrates, making them look like better players when they are not.

 

winrate is not an indicator of player skill.

 



flyins #289 Posted May 20 2019 - 16:54

    Sergeant

  • -Players-
  • 8766 battles
  • 161
  • [ELDUH] ELDUH
  • Member since:
    07-01-2014

View Postcheapbooks, on Apr 17 2019 - 13:05, said:

if winrate were truly a measure of player skill, then:

 

all AFK tanks would have a 0% winrate. because there is no player skill. but they don't, they have a 38% winrate

all your tanks in your garage would have the exact same winrate. but they don't, because the tank you play impacts your win rate

- there is no reason to use ammo, equipment, module research, consumables, directives, crew skills, or crew training beyond 50%. because these things are not player skill, so they would have no effect on winrate

there would be no such thing as "pay to win" in the game. pay to win is not player skill, so it would have no impact on winrate

- you should not fear gold ammo. if winrate were only player skill, then gold ammo would have 0 affect in the game

- you would never do any spotting damage, and all your damage and kills would only be on tanks that you spot yourself, because otherwise there would be teamwork, which is not individual player skill

- there would be no such thing as passive scouting, because a player with 0 skill is still able to passively scout (such as an AFK player at the base who passively scouts for the team)

access to information in the game, such as the minimap, would have no affect on the game. before any tank on the enemy team is spotted, there is no way to know or accurately predict what the enemy team will do for defense or offense. your player skill would allow you to win the game even without having any knowledge of where the enemy team is.

players in South America would have the same number of unicums as players playing in North America on the NA server, and would not be all tomatoes

- teams of SPGs, such as 15 SPGs, would have a 50% winrate against teams of 15 non-SPGs. teams of 15 LTs would have a 50% winrate against teams of 15 HTs

the matchmaker would always be balanced, because the MM would have no impact on winrate

all maps would always be balanced

- you would be able to play SPG with no minimap, with no radio, because you would not need your team to spot for you

running XVM would not improve your game

 

so if you believe that high winrate means you are a better player, then:

- you never complain about other players using gold rounds

- you don't run XVM because other player skill has no impact on your player skill

- you never complain about OP tanks

- you never complain about being on a fail team

- you never complain about pay to win

- you never research modules

- you never complain about the matchmaker

- you never complain about being bottom tier

- you never complain about losing all day or having 10 losses in a row

- you never complain about a map being unbalanced, or about being on the worse spawn

- you do not complain that your allies need to spot when you are playing SPG

- you never pay for consumables

- you don't use ammo

- you don't buy equipment

- you don't need bonds or directives

- you don't complain that bonds give an unfair advantage allowing the best players to be even better by buying better equipment

- you never call LATAM players tomatos strictly because they play with high ping times

- you never complain that you can't pen an enemy tank

- you never complain that wheeled vehicles are too fast

 

I never complain about any of the things above. 

 



NightmareMk9 #290 Posted May 20 2019 - 18:30

    Major

  • Players
  • 35400 battles
  • 2,688
  • [ZOUTH] ZOUTH
  • Member since:
    03-11-2012

If 100 people tell you that you are an idiot

 

YOU ARE PROBABLY AN IDIOT



grandthefttankV #291 Posted May 20 2019 - 19:04

    Major

  • Players
  • 35930 battles
  • 2,610
  • [_EOS_] _EOS_
  • Member since:
    09-20-2013

View PostNightmareMk9, on May 20 2019 - 17:30, said:

If 100 people tell you that you are an idiot

 

YOU ARE PROBABLY AN IDIOT

Incorrect. Way more than 100 people told copernicus he was an idiot. Was copernicus wrong?



RaaRaa_xD #292 Posted May 20 2019 - 19:42

    Sergeant

  • -Players-
  • 5990 battles
  • 141
  • [YOUJO] YOUJO
  • Member since:
    02-08-2017
Oh look, it's someone that denies the skill of the superior players
/s

NightmareMk9 #293 Posted May 20 2019 - 20:00

    Major

  • Players
  • 35400 battles
  • 2,688
  • [ZOUTH] ZOUTH
  • Member since:
    03-11-2012

View PostgrandthefttankV, on May 20 2019 - 19:04, said:

Incorrect. Way more than 100 people told copernicus he was an idiot. Was copernicus wrong?

Yes, he was mostly wrong:

 

 In 1514, he distributed a hand-written, unpublished manuscript entitled The Little Commentary that included the following axioms:

 

1) There is no one center in the Universe.

 

2) The Earth's center is not the center of the Universe.

 

3) The center of the universe is near the Sun.

 

4) The distance from the Earth to the Sun is imperceptible compared with the distance to the stars.

 

5) The rotation of the Earth accounts for the apparent daily rotation of the stars. *

 

6) The apparent annual cycle of movements of the Sun is caused by the Earth revolving around it, and,

 

7) the apparent retrograde motion of the planets is caused by the motion of the Earth from which one observes.

 

*I'm not sure what he is trying to say here, but apparently he believed all the other stars we see are not moving.



grandthefttankV #294 Posted May 20 2019 - 22:39

    Major

  • Players
  • 35930 battles
  • 2,610
  • [_EOS_] _EOS_
  • Member since:
    09-20-2013

View PostNightmareMk9, on May 20 2019 - 19:00, said:

Yes, he was mostly wrong:

 

 In 1514, he distributed a hand-written, unpublished manuscript entitled The Little Commentary that included the following axioms:

 

1) There is no one center in the Universe.

 

2) The Earth's center is not the center of the Universe.

 

3) The center of the universe is near the Sun.

 

4) The distance from the Earth to the Sun is imperceptible compared with the distance to the stars.

 

5) The rotation of the Earth accounts for the apparent daily rotation of the stars. *

 

6) The apparent annual cycle of movements of the Sun is caused by the Earth revolving around it, and,

 

7) the apparent retrograde motion of the planets is caused by the motion of the Earth from which one observes.

 

*I'm not sure what he is trying to say here, but apparently he believed all the other stars we see are not moving.

Bro, de revolutionibus orbium corlestium wasnt published till 1543. Cherry picking a working theory or prototype from decades earlier is a red herring that proves nothing.

 

Do you doubt the earth revolves around the sun?



gingerted91 #295 Posted May 21 2019 - 01:54

    Staff sergeant

  • -Players-
  • 1462 battles
  • 279
  • [MORDR] MORDR
  • Member since:
    01-11-2015

View Postcheapbooks, on May 20 2019 - 12:47, said:


Maybe reference the NA tank stats mate...



Tedsc #296 Posted May 21 2019 - 04:31

    First lieutenant

  • -Players-
  • 45466 battles
  • 941
  • Member since:
    10-14-2015

View PostKliphie, on Apr 17 2019 - 13:23, said:

Simple question, why do some players win more than others?  

 

That is not a simple question.  It is a question with multiple answers.  Is skill 1 reason?  Yes.  2 players of equal skill however can have different winrates based on many factors including:

1 - use of Jon rounds

2- grind or free XP modules from stock tank

3 - grind or free XP crew

4 - use of premium consumables, directives, or the bond purchasable equipment

 

And regardless of skill MM is like a slot machine you never know what team you are going to get.  I have had days where I played well getting  courageous resistance multiple times in a 8-10 game loss streak and I have had days where I played very poorly and won 6 in a row.  In the end you are 1 of 15, you can certainly influence the outcome but so can the other 14 on your team and the other 15 on theirs.

 

Once you stop caring about winrate the game is a lot more fun.  Much less frustrated by the things out of your control like MM.



gingerted91 #297 Posted May 21 2019 - 05:12

    Staff sergeant

  • -Players-
  • 1462 battles
  • 279
  • [MORDR] MORDR
  • Member since:
    01-11-2015

View PostTedsc, on May 21 2019 - 04:31, said:

 

That is not a simple question.  It is a question with multiple answers.  Is skill 1 reason?  Yes.  2 players of equal skill however can have different winrates based on many factors including:

1 - use of Jon rounds

2- grind or free XP modules from stock tank

3 - grind or free XP crew

4 - use of premium consumables, directives, or the bond purchasable equipment

 

And regardless of skill MM is like a slot machine you never know what team you are going to get.  I have had days where I played well getting  courageous resistance multiple times in a 8-10 game loss streak and I have had days where I played very poorly and won 6 in a row.  In the end you are 1 of 15, you can certainly influence the outcome but so can the other 14 on your team and the other 15 on theirs.

 

Unfortunately, that only is true over a small sample size.  Once a fair sample of battles is completed, this all evens out in the wash: both in a players own service record and between players.

 

View PostTedsc, on May 21 2019 - 04:31, said:

 

Once you stop caring about winrate the game is a lot more fun.  Much less frustrated by the things out of your control like MM.

 

Sure that's one way to do it (let the game dictate your enjoyment), another is learn and study the game. 

 

 

 

 



Kliphie #298 Posted May 21 2019 - 13:25

    Major

  • Players
  • 32966 battles
  • 5,542
  • [GFLC] GFLC
  • Member since:
    07-20-2012

View PostTedsc, on May 20 2019 - 22:31, said:

 

That is not a simple question.  It is a question with multiple answers.  Is skill 1 reason?  Yes.  2 players of equal skill however can have different winrates based on many factors including:

1 - use of Jon rounds

2- grind or free XP modules from stock tank

3 - grind or free XP crew

4 - use of premium consumables, directives, or the bond purchasable equipment

 

And regardless of skill MM is like a slot machine you never know what team you are going to get.  I have had days where I played well getting  courageous resistance multiple times in a 8-10 game loss streak and I have had days where I played very poorly and won 6 in a row.  In the end you are 1 of 15, you can certainly influence the outcome but so can the other 14 on your team and the other 15 on theirs.

 

Once you stop caring about winrate the game is a lot more fun.  Much less frustrated by the things out of your control like MM.

 

All 4 of those variables are within the player's control.  

 

 



3Darts #299 Posted May 23 2019 - 04:09

    Private

  • Players
  • 42308 battles
  • 9
  • Member since:
    11-25-2012
All statistics in this game are absolutely useless to depend on imo,   the so called "good" players only worry about themselves and use others to spot for them and only pick the good tanks and avoid playing the bad tanks.   

oldewolfe #300 Posted May 23 2019 - 10:45

    Major

  • -Players-
  • 23919 battles
  • 3,583
  • [1STBN] 1STBN
  • Member since:
    11-08-2014

I've been saying this for Years now....      You have 32 Things you have Zero Control over, 29 Other Players, MM, RNG, and Map Choice vs Tank Choice....     

 

WG has made the Last one a little easier, but 1 or 2 Maps isn't going effect it overall by Much.....






1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users