• -Players-
  • 57 battles
What does enable service reticle do?

cKy_ #2 Posted Apr 17 2019 - 15:28

Major

• -Players-
  • 4344 battles
  • [PUBBY] PUBBY
Server reticle* It shows where your reticle actually is, you know, taking into account ping and lag or whatever. At least that's what I think it is without looking it up. I'm probably wrong though, best wait for someone that knows what they're talking about.

snailcrusher #3 Posted Apr 17 2019 - 16:15

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 2994 battles

Claus Kellerman has a youtube video on Ping and Enable Server Reticle.  I just saw the video last night. 

There is a lag between where you are pointing your reticle and where the server thinks the reticle is.  Your shot will go where the server thinks the reticle is and not where you are aiming.  The lag is in milliseconds (Ping). 

Let's assume you have a Ping of 100.  You point your reticle at a target.  It takes 100 milliseconds for the server to catch up.  The lower your Ping the faster the server will keep up and the more likelihood your shot will hit the target.

When you enable server reticle it is showing you where the server thinks you are pointing the reticle.

Find his video and watch it.  It is very informative.

ClydeCooper421 #4 Posted Apr 17 2019 - 16:17

Major

• -Players-
  • 14758 battles
  • [NIC0] NIC0

View PostcKy_, on Apr 17 2019 - 06:28, said:

Server reticle* It shows where your reticle actually is, you know, taking into account ping and lag or whatever. At least that's what I think it is without looking it up. I'm probably wrong though, best wait for someone that knows what they're talking about.

You're correct. 

It shows where your reticle is aiming according to what the server says, not your own pc. If you're playing on more than 150 ping i'd recommend using it. 

dunniteowl #5 Posted Apr 17 2019 - 16:23

Major

• -Players-
  • 30829 battles

The answers you got are correct.  I use it as my ping is constantly fluctuating and is usually somewhere between 160 -- 280 ms.  Above that and I really can't reliably play even SPGs as the lag time is too high.  When my ping is below 160 I risk playing slower TDs and MEDs.  If it goes lower than 130, then I can play whatever unit I wish, even at 9 to 11 fps.  As long as things are stable, then I'm good to go at those speeds.

Enable Server Reticle.  Use it.  Live it.

GL, HF & HSYBF!
OvO

cKy_ #6 Posted Apr 17 2019 - 16:29

Major

• -Players-
  • 4344 battles
  • [PUBBY] PUBBY

View Postdunniteowl, on Apr 18 2019 - 03:23, said:

The answers you got are correct.  I use it as my ping is constantly fluctuating and is usually somewhere between 160 -- 280 ms.  Above that and I really can't reliably play even SPGs as the lag time is too high.  When my ping is below 160 I risk playing slower TDs and MEDs.  If it goes lower than 130, then I can play whatever unit I wish, even at 9 to 11 fps.  As long as things are stable, then I'm good to go at those speeds.

Enable Server Reticle.  Use it.  Live it.

GL, HF & HSYBF!
OvO

How does your ping fluctuate between 160 and 280? I play from quite a ways away on a terrible internet connection shared by 500 other people, and it is always between 200 and 240. How does such a large fluctuation happen?

dunniteowl #7 Posted Apr 17 2019 - 16:41

Major

• -Players-
  • 30829 battles

View PostcKy_, on Apr 17 2019 - 09:29, said:

How does your ping fluctuate between 160 and 280? I play from quite a ways away on a terrible internet connection shared by 500 other people, and it is always between 200 and 240. How does such a large fluctuation happen?

I live out in the sticks.  I have Rural Wireless Internet.  My tower is 7.2 miles away and, oddly, there are lots of TREES out here that for some dang reason, just keep growing and their owners are so rude that they won't trim them for me.  Bad weather (like today) kills my transmission effectiveness, causing much packet loss and high, fluctuating ping.

As I also live in a very Humid place (Central Texas), when it is very humid (above 60%) the water in the air absorbs a bit of the signal as well, making my connection weaker.  During a storm?  Forget about it, I'm reduced to playing offline games.  Sometimes I joke that if a bird is flying by and farts or poops as it does so, it makes my connection fluctuate as well.

Last night, my ping was stable at around 250 for a good portion of the night, then all of a sudden I was in the 300 plus range and it was going from 280 -- +500 radically, making timing impossible, Server Reticle or not, it's hard to determine where your opponent is when your game freezes for two to three seconds at a time trying to make up all that packet loss.

It's what I have, though.  I could use my hardline, but then I'd have to pay AT&T for a screaming 19.2 kbps line.  I'm thinking that's probably not going to cut it, either.  Still, if I had to choose between moving into a more urbanized area with a good connection or staying out here -- I'm willing to deal with crap connectivity.  My photographic interests are more important to me than gaming (and I LOVE gaming) and I have 16 acres, a pond and what amounts to Quasi Sub Tropical Temperate Vegetation all around me.  It's a fair trade.

GL, HF & HSYBF!
OvO

Who__invader #8 Posted Apr 21 2019 - 12:01

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 57 battles
Thanks guys I'll turn it on.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users