Jump to content


You misspelled Hans Bölter's name on his medal


This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
15 replies to this topic

Panzerleiter #1 Posted Sep 21 2011 - 00:59

    Staff sergeant

  • Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
  • 293
  • Member since:
    12-23-2010
Hans Bölter's name is misspelled on his medal, as you can see here [edit: be sure to look at the medals themselves, not the headings above the medals' descriptions]:

http://game.worldoft...om/achievements

You all didn't even use the correct English equivalent of the umlaut, which is "oe".  Instead, you spelled it with an "e", which is never used.  No equivalent should be substituted, however.  Since you use the Cyrillic alphabet for Russian names on the medals, so you should use German spelling for German tankers, in this case, "B
ölter"--with umlaut.

Mr_Peabody #2 Posted Sep 21 2011 - 01:05

    Major

  • Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
  • 4,614
  • Member since:
    07-18-2010

View PostPanzerleiter, on Sep 21 2011 - 00:59, said:

Hans Bölter's name is misspelled on his medal, as you can see here:

http://game.worldoft...om/achievements

You all didn't even use the correct English equivalent of the umlaut, which is "oe".  Instead, you spelled it with an "e", which is never used.  No equivalent should be substituted, however.  Since you use the Cyrillic alphabet for Russian names on the medals, so you should use German spelling for German tankers, in this case, "B
ölter"--with umlaut.

It is spelled with an "oe" wherever I see it...

Mr_Peabody #3 Posted Sep 21 2011 - 01:09

    Major

  • Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
  • 4,614
  • Member since:
    07-18-2010

View PostPanzerleiter, on Sep 21 2011 - 00:59, said:

... you should use German spelling for German tankers ...

Also, if the Germans wanted us to use their punctuation, they should have tried harder in the war. But, last time I checked, they lost... so its Boelter as far as I'm concerned.

Panzerleiter #4 Posted Sep 21 2011 - 01:11

    Staff sergeant

  • Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
  • 293
  • Member since:
    12-23-2010

View PostMr_Peabody, on Sep 21 2011 - 01:05, said:

It is spelled with an "oe" wherever I see it...

Apparently, I need to repeat myself so this concept sinks in: The German spelling is with the umlaut.  The "oe" is only the English equivalent of "ö".  The devs, however, incorrectly spelled it with an "e".

Panzerleiter #5 Posted Sep 21 2011 - 01:13

    Staff sergeant

  • Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
  • 293
  • Member since:
    12-23-2010

View PostMr_Peabody, on Sep 21 2011 - 01:09, said:

Also, if the Germans wanted us to use their punctuation, they should have tried harder in the war. But, last time I checked, they lost... so its Boelter as far as I'm concerned.

That makes a lot of sense.  Did you major in logic?

Mr_Peabody #6 Posted Sep 21 2011 - 01:56

    Major

  • Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
  • 4,614
  • Member since:
    07-18-2010

View PostPanzerleiter, on Sep 21 2011 - 01:11, said:

Apparently, I need to repeat myself so this concept sinks in: The German spelling is with the umlaut.  The "oe" is only the English equivalent of "ö".  The devs, however, incorrectly spelled it with an "e".

I understood your point... as pointless as it was. In lieu of the "ö" they used the "oe" which is correct for usage in English -- and English happens to be the language of this forum.

Insisting upon German usage is nothing more that infantile pedantry given that no one with a US standard keyboard has that character available. Shall we all learn the unicodes for every German character instead? That sounds like fun... (On the upside, if we did learn all of the unicodes then perhaps I'd get the chance to see more eszetts around. This is the trickiest letter, since it looks like a "B" but sounds nothing like one. But the Germans are tricky that way.)

Given that there are grammatical rules already in place to cover these situations, can we just relax and use the proper English transliterations?

FreeFOXMIKE #7 Posted Sep 21 2011 - 02:03

    Major

  • Players
  • 0 battles
  • 4,960
  • Member since:
    04-17-2011
Johannes Bölter
                                                      From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia                                                                                                            Johannes Bölter   19 February 1915 – 16 September 1987 (aged 72)   Posted Image   Place of birth Mülheim an der Ruhr, Kingdom of Prussia   Place of death Mülheim an der Ruhr, West Germany   Allegiance  Nazi Germany   Service/branch Posted ImageHeer   Years of service 1933 – 1945   Rank Hauptmann   Unit schwere Panzer-Abteilung 502   Battles/wars  World War II

    Awards Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves   The title of this article contains the character ö. Where it is unavailable or not desired, the name may be represented as Johannes Boelter.



  The title of this article contains the character ö. Where it is unavailable or not desired, the name may be represented as Johannes Boelter.


Johannes Bölter destroyed 139 tanks (some sources place his score as high as 144) during World War II. Together with Kurt Knispel, Otto Carius, Ernst Barkmann and Michael Wittmann he is considered to be one of the most successful tank commanders in history.

Panzerleiter #8 Posted Sep 21 2011 - 06:37

    Staff sergeant

  • Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
  • 293
  • Member since:
    12-23-2010

View PostMr_Peabody, on Sep 21 2011 - 01:56, said:

I understood your point... as pointless as it was. In lieu of the "ö" they used the "oe" which is correct for usage in English -- and English happens to be the language of this forum.

Insisting upon German usage is nothing more that infantile pedantry given that no one with a US standard keyboard has that character available. Shall we all learn the unicodes for every German character instead? That sounds like fun... (On the upside, if we did learn all of the unicodes then perhaps I'd get the chance to see more eszetts around. This is the trickiest letter, since it looks like a "B" but sounds nothing like one. But the Germans are tricky that way.)

Given that there are grammatical rules already in place to cover these situations, can we just relax and use the proper English transliterations?

It's not a question of how it's spelled in this forum, but on the medals, as was clearly stated in the first post.  I would be satisfied with using "oe" instead of "ö" if all of the names on the medals were written using the English alphabet and spelling.  As I pointed out originally, however, and which you also failed to incorporate into your strained line of reasoning, the Russian names are written in Cyrillic.

I'm sure the Russians appreciate seeing their heroes' names in their native alphabet.  I'm equally sure Germans would appreciate seeing Bölter's name spelled as they spell it, and
as he spelled it.

FreeFOXMIKE #9 Posted Sep 21 2011 - 10:14

    Major

  • Players
  • 0 battles
  • 4,960
  • Member since:
    04-17-2011
it was done that way not to be mean but to aid in the pronunciation of his name ,unless you have been overseas or know the language,it an easy name to mess up.  Example Lowe( Germans  sound the w as a V )

Avocet #10 Posted Sep 21 2011 - 14:30

    Major

  • Players
  • 0 battles
  • 2,262
  • Member since:
    04-14-2011

View PostPanzerleiter, on Sep 21 2011 - 06:37, said:

It's not a question of how it's spelled in this forum, but on the medals, as was clearly stated in the first post.  I would be satisfied with using "oe" instead of "ö" if all of the names on the medals were written using the English alphabet and spelling.  As I pointed out originally, however, and which you also failed to incorporate into your strained line of reasoning, the Russian names are written in Cyrillic.

I'm sure the Russians appreciate seeing their heroes' names in their native alphabet.  I'm equally sure Germans would appreciate seeing Bölter's name spelled as they spell it, and
as he spelled it.
Two things:

1) The medal is listed using the "oe" and I have never seen it with just the "e" anywhere. Recheck that link you posted a while back. It's always been "Boelter".

2) Where are you seeing the Russian names in Cyrillic?

Panzerleiter #11 Posted Sep 21 2011 - 19:00

    Staff sergeant

  • Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
  • 293
  • Member since:
    12-23-2010

View Postbronco330, on Sep 21 2011 - 14:30, said:

Two things:

1) The medal is listed using the "oe" and I have never seen it with just the "e" anywhere. Recheck that link you posted a while back. It's always been "Boelter".

2) Where are you seeing the Russian names in Cyrillic?

Look at the the medals themselves, not at the headings above the descriptions.  Along the top or bottom edge of each medal is the name of the famous tanker.

Panzerleiter #12 Posted Sep 21 2011 - 19:23

    Staff sergeant

  • Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
  • 293
  • Member since:
    12-23-2010

View PostFreeFOXMIKE, on Sep 21 2011 - 10:14, said:

it was done that way not to be mean but to aid in the pronunciation of his name ,unless you have been overseas or know the language,it an easy name to mess up.  Example Lowe( Germans  sound the w as a V )

I'm not saying that it was done to be mean, only that it was an oversight.  Most people in this country are still at least somewhat familiar with German spelling and pronunciation, if only through what they've heard.  Hardly anyone here, however, can decipher the Cyrillic alphabet.

My point is that if they insist on writing Russian names in Cyrillic, then German names should be written, on the medals, according to the German alphabet.  I don't mind that Cyrillic is used, but other countries' heroes should be accorded the same respect.  The medals, after all, are badges of honor that reflect the heroism, daring, and skill of their namesakes.  Part of honoring those men is honoring their cultures, and the way their names are written reflects directly upon their cultures.

FreeFOXMIKE #13 Posted Sep 21 2011 - 19:29

    Major

  • Players
  • 0 battles
  • 4,960
  • Member since:
    04-17-2011
"It's  not a question of how it's spelled in this forum, but on the medals, as  was clearly stated in the first post.  I would be satisfied with using  "oe" instead of "ö" if all of the  names on the medals were written using the English alphabet and  spelling.  As I pointed out originally, however, and which you also  failed to incorporate into your strained line of reasoning, the Russian  names are written in Cyrillic."

not talking about how its spelled in the forum showing,as this is an international forum ( and yes others look at the northern server,and forum) As stated before:
The title of this article contains the character ö. Where it is unavailable or not desired, the name may be represented as Johannes Boelter.


ö. this is not available or even know in many places.

Avocet #14 Posted Sep 21 2011 - 19:31

    Major

  • Players
  • 0 battles
  • 2,262
  • Member since:
    04-14-2011

View PostPanzerleiter, on Sep 21 2011 - 19:00, said:

Look at the the medals themselves, not at the headings above the descriptions.  Along the top or bottom edge of each medal is the name of the famous tanker.
Aha! I see your point now, and I agree with you - if Russians get the Cyrillic, Germans should get umlauts.

I had thought you were referring to the names as listed in the descriptions, award notifications in the garage, etc.

Thanks for the clarification! It really is clear (now) that is what you meant from the beginning... but without that understanding, it wasn't hard to miss it the first time around.

Panzerleiter #15 Posted Sep 21 2011 - 20:09

    Staff sergeant

  • Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
  • 293
  • Member since:
    12-23-2010

View PostFreeFOXMIKE, on Sep 21 2011 - 19:29, said:

"It's  not a question of how it's spelled in this forum, but on the medals, as  was clearly stated in the first post.  I would be satisfied with using  "oe" instead of "ö" if all of the  names on the medals were written using the English alphabet and  spelling.  As I pointed out originally, however, and which you also  failed to incorporate into your strained line of reasoning, the Russian  names are written in Cyrillic."

not talking about how its spelled in the forum showing,as this is an international forum ( and yes others look at the northern server,and forum) As stated before:
The title of this article contains the character ö. Where it is unavailable or not desired, the name may be represented as Johannes Boelter.


ö. this is not available or even know in many places.

I understand that "oe" is the English equivalent of "ö", and that it is substituted when the latter is unavailable.  That has been clear since my original post.  The same may be said of "F" for "Ф" or "D" for "Д".  In the forums themselves, substitution is expected, even sometimes desired.  This thread only pertains to names on medals themselves, however.  Since "ФАДИН" is written instead of "FADIN", for example, then "Bölter" should be written instead of "Boelter"--and certainly instead of "Belter".

CommissarRykov #16 Posted Sep 21 2011 - 22:27

    Staff sergeant

  • Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
  • 409
  • Member since:
    10-20-2010
I finally understand what you are trying to say and I completely agree.