Are consumables profitable?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

Who__invader #1 Posted Apr 21 2019 - 01:52

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 57 battles
Hey spending $10,000 a silver a game seems ridiculous for a small percentage of crew skills and really would affect your bottom line if you had a good game and would basically break you if you had a bad one. I don't see why anyone would use chocolate or Coca-Cola or tea or whatever unless they were trying to get an edge in complete a certain Mission or something but who could afford to run this regularly? I will stop power comes on in my Depot but I'm afraid to use it cuz I'm like I'm going to waste 10000 silver I'm going to waste a bunch of games just because for what I don't know. I really like Klaus fix limits to me.

slantytank #2 Posted Apr 21 2019 - 02:04

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 31450 battles
These are just free cash. I have like 1,000 of them ready to be sold if cash is needed.

F1O1 #3 Posted Apr 21 2019 - 02:23

Captain

• Players
  • 60 battles
  • [SAMUS] SAMUS

Do you like ventilation? Brothers in arms?

All these things stack up. Performance is key

PotatoLegend99 #4 Posted Apr 21 2019 - 02:24

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 34714 battles
  • [NEWBI] NEWBI

In premium tanks or in strongholds with clan credit boosters turned on, you can still make a profit, unless you're missing or not penning many shots.

I only use them in tournaments and clan campaign/wars where they do make a noticeable difference. Sometimes I also run them on tanks with fresh crews I'm training too.

Edit: automatic fire extinguisher is totally worth it on almost every tank. It passively reduces the chance to catch fire by 10% which in the long run I think makes it more economically viable than manual extinguishers.

Edited by PotatoLegend99, Apr 21 2019 - 03:28.

Who__invader #5 Posted Apr 21 2019 - 02:26

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 57 battles

View Postslantytank, on Apr 21 2019 - 02:04, said:

These are just free cash. I have like 1,000 of them ready to be sold if cash is needed.

I don't mean profitable like sell them for credits I mean is it worth spending the money on them for what you get out of them in the game. I don't really think using a consumable will earned you ten thousand credits you'll spend on using that consumable. It seems outrageous almost. And they're so expensive I don't even want to use the ones I have because I'm worried that I'll lose a game and waste all the money I ain't rich.

The_Illusive_Man #6 Posted Apr 21 2019 - 02:35

Major

• -Players-
  • 13137 battles
You should aways bring all three consumables. Small repair kit, small first aid kit, and at least a manual fire extinguisher. Itll make you live longer, and thus make more exp, and credits. So, are they worth it? YES. If I find a player not using them, I hound them for being stupid.

slantytank #7 Posted Apr 21 2019 - 02:41

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 31450 battles

View PostWho__invader, on Apr 20 2019 - 17:26, said:

I don't mean profitable like sell them for credits I mean is it worth spending the money on them for what you get out of them in the game. I don't really think using a consumable will earned you ten thousand credits you'll spend on using that consumable. It seems outrageous almost. And they're so expensive I don't even want to use the ones I have because I'm worried that I'll lose a game and waste all the money I ain't rich.

No, not a chance. I got all these for free, wouldn't spend a penny or ruble on any of them,

Isola_di_Fano #8 Posted Apr 21 2019 - 02:54

Major

• Players
  • 23902 battles

Minimum 3 small ones as posted above.

20k consumables/or 10K when on sale:

when I change a crew to another vehicle I usually spend 20k silver and add food until the crew reaches 100%, instead of using gold.

Other than that I use food regularly on only 1 tank, the VK30.02M: stats wise far from the best tier 6 around but I like it !

WeSayNotToday #9 Posted Apr 21 2019 - 03:46

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 21936 battles

View PostWho__invader, on Apr 21 2019 - 01:52, said:

Hey spending $10,000 a silver a game seems ridiculous for a small percentage of crew skills and really would affect your bottom line if you had a good game and would basically break you if you had a bad one. I don't see why anyone would use chocolate or Coca-Cola or tea or whatever unless they were trying to get an edge in complete a certain Mission or something but who could afford to run this regularly? I will stop power comes on in my Depot but I'm afraid to use it cuz I'm like I'm going to waste 10000 silver I'm going to waste a bunch of games just because for what I don't know. I really like Klaus fix limits to me.

"Are the big consumables profitable?" is a very good question, and if you really want to find out, study it.  Compare your tanks' performance with and without, spreadsheet it, whatever.

Food is a big question.  My advice is this.  Pick the effect that you think food will help you with, use the comparison tool in game to see how the numbers change, and try it.  Play 20 or 100 games with food in a tank that has room in the consumables slot for you and track your earnings.

Food definitely helps people get 2-marks and 3-marks on tanks.  For this reason, I would try it on your favorite tank, or a tank you think you would really like, that is just a little too slow to reload, aim, turret traverse, something...

If you enjoy BIA as a perk, and believe it helps you, then Food may really appeal to you.

Do most tankers need it in most of their tanks?   No.

Edited by WeSayNotToday, Apr 21 2019 - 03:46.

death_stryker #10 Posted Apr 21 2019 - 04:57

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 4575 battles
  • [LUCID] LUCID
Food consumables are not profitable at all. However, some people could care less about profit, and so they run them for the noticeable boost to performance. Personally, I am way too cheap to run them for the most part, but I allow myself to use them when grinding marks :)

dunniteowl #11 Posted Apr 21 2019 - 06:21

Major

• -Players-
  • 28645 battles

I am a very 'frugal' credits player.  Last 50% off sale they had in December or January I spent 16 Million credits on Premium Consumables (Only Lg Repair Kits, Lg 1st Aid Kits and Auto Fire Exts), along with some modules that I will need soon after purchasing a slew of tier VI units.

This last week we had another 50% sale on those things.  What did I do?  Well, back when I spent 16 million I went down to like 21 million credits.  This time I spent 16 million more credits and right now, I'm sitting on 18 million plus credits (I went down to just over 16 million when I spent).  I now have over 1500 each of Premium Lg, Repair, Lg 1st Aid and Auto Fire Ext.s.

As to food consumables.  I never purchase them.  I collect them up through winning events.  I'm logged out of the game right now (I have been having a crap day, even though many times I am anywhere from 1st to 5th top damage dealer) and I am just not vested in playing further tonight.  Not having enough fun, even though I pulled two HCs today and on my last win I took out in my JgPzIV (T6 DE TD) a tier VIII FVs something or other pretty much by myself (someone else did it for 212 HPs and I did 1208).  That was 'satisfying,' however I just couldn't see pushing ahead with 3 wins for 12 matches.

It's like folks took stupid pills before hitting Battle.  So not satisfying watching your team evaporate around you.  Today it's just been too painful to watch.

Anywho who whoo, you earn those credits and you save them up.  When there's a good sale on you spend them for the heavy price consumables and then you're good to go for a while.  With 1500 plus of each type of those consumables (Lg Rep, Lg 1st Aid and Auto Ext) just hanging around, I don't feel the pinch of their cost in my 'bottom line' and since I spent that credit package, I've already made back over 2 million credits.  That was only from last week Monday this coming.

In another week, even if the games have been going such as my fate has, I'll have another 2 million at the minimum.  If I can swing 2 million a week, then in 10 weeks, I'll have made back 20 million and be above where I was when I spent that last 16 million.

That's how you 'manage' your WoT finances.  You earn, save and then wait for that good sale to get your spend on.  Rinse and repeat.

That's what credits in this game are for.  You aren't going to have them gain interest and they won't make your house payment.  Spend wisely.

GL, HF & HSYBF!
OvO

Who__invader #12 Posted Apr 21 2019 - 12:06

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 57 battles

View PostThe_Illusive_Man, on Apr 21 2019 - 02:35, said:

You should aways bring all three consumables. Small repair kit, small first aid kit, and at least a manual fire extinguisher. Itll make you live longer, and thus make more exp, and credits. So, are they worth it? YES. If I find a player not using them, I hound them for being stupid.

Yes I always have fire extinguisher first aid kit and repair kit. I was wondering more about what to do with and when to use the chocolate and coffee and stuff like that. Fir now I am only running Russian and German tanks haven't grinded any other lines so I sold all the foods for countries idont use and made some bank. But if i run chocolate for example and hit autotesupply consumables that will eat my credits because I use small fire first aid and repair so they are relatively cheap I think it be better to buy vents or something but I can see the idea of using it to train a crew.

Who__invader #13 Posted Apr 21 2019 - 12:19

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 57 battles

View Postdunniteowl, on Apr 21 2019 - 06:21, said:

I am a very 'frugal' credits player.  Last 50% off sale they had in December or January I spent 16 Million credits on Premium Consumables (Only Lg Repair Kits, Lg 1st Aid Kits and Auto Fire Exts), along with some modules that I will need soon after purchasing a slew of tier VI units.

This last week we had another 50% sale on those things.  What did I do?  Well, back when I spent 16 million I went down to like 21 million credits.  This time I spent 16 million more credits and right now, I'm sitting on 18 million plus credits (I went down to just over 16 million when I spent).  I now have over 1500 each of Premium Lg, Repair, Lg 1st Aid and Auto Fire Ext.s.

As to food consumables.  I never purchase them.  I collect them up through winning events.  I'm logged out of the game right now (I have been having a crap day, even though many times I am anywhere from 1st to 5th top damage dealer) and I am just not vested in playing further tonight.  Not having enough fun, even though I pulled two HCs today and on my last win I took out in my JgPzIV (T6 DE TD) a tier VIII FVs something or other pretty much by myself (someone else did it for 212 HPs and I did 1208).  That was 'satisfying,' however I just couldn't see pushing ahead with 3 wins for 12 matches.

It's like folks took stupid pills before hitting Battle.  So not satisfying watching your team evaporate around you.  Today it's just been too painful to watch.

Anywho who whoo, you earn those credits and you save them up.  When there's a good sale on you spend them for the heavy price consumables and then you're good to go for a while.  With 1500 plus of each type of those consumables (Lg Rep, Lg 1st Aid and Auto Ext) just hanging around, I don't feel the pinch of their cost in my 'bottom line' and since I spent that credit package, I've already made back over 2 million credits.  That was only from last week Monday this coming.

In another week, even if the games have been going such as my fate has, I'll have another 2 million at the minimum.  If I can swing 2 million a week, then in 10 weeks, I'll have made back 20 million and be above where I was when I spent that last 16 million.

That's how you 'manage' your WoT finances.  You earn, save and then wait for that good sale to get your spend on.  Rinse and repeat.

That's what credits in this game are for.  You aren't going to have them gain interest and they won't make your house payment.  Spend wisely.

GL, HF & HSYBF!
OvO

How in the world does someone make 16 million credits wake real I want to know. I think the most I had ever was free million when Klaus made the video about selling your emblems but I told him all the while ago and that was about it. And I really do it should have been more specific by profitable I didn't mean making money at more mint not losing money in every battle haha

ChaseR392 #14 Posted Apr 21 2019 - 15:26

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 4821 battles

View PostWho__invader, on Apr 21 2019 - 12:19, said:

How in the world does someone make 16 million credits wake real I want to know. I think the most I had ever was free million when Klaus made the video about selling your emblems but I told him all the while ago and that was about it. And I really do it should have been more specific by profitable I didn't mean making money at more mint not losing money in every battle haha

Making lots of credits is entirely possible.....

Two of the easiest ways to do it.... 

Be a good player that consistently deals above average damage for your team... like dunniteowl.

Or... be a slightly mediocre but slowly moving up to average player and have a premium account and premium tanks (they make more credits)... like me :teethhappy:

Jokes aside... I can rake in a million credits in an evening of playing if I play half-way decent and play my premium tanks. Last sale I spent 6 million credits on consumables and equipment.... I'd have a huge stockpile of credits if I wasn't constantly unlocking and buying new tanks and outfitting them with equipment....  

MiddleAgedNoob #15 Posted Apr 21 2019 - 15:27

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 15895 battles
  • [MARV] MARV

View PostWho__invader, on Apr 21 2019 - 06:19, said:

I believe that you are SouthTown00 in game.  If you are, the reason you don't make credits is because you average one penetrating shot per game.  You earn credits for doing damage, or assisting in doing damage.  Once your play improves, credit income will follow.

GLHF

dunniteowl #16 Posted Apr 21 2019 - 15:37

Major

• -Players-
  • 28645 battles

I had a great post here, but it got eaten by WoT's wonderful formatting.  I am so irritated right now that I cannot properly rebuild it at the moment.

Chase has the basics of it in terms of earning credits.

I had a decent explication of how the Consumables were 'profitable' and so I will do my best to condense it.  This crap almost always happens when I copy paste something from the wiki into my posts.  So frustrating.  Anywho who whoo, let's repeat...

Carrying Consumables versus Not Carrying Consumables:

The short version:  If you do not use consumables, you will inevitably be knocked out of the game rather quickly.  Taking a hit and having a Crew Member knocked out means you WILL NOT revive that crew member.  A crew member knocked out means that the position they perform will be operated as it it was a 0% crew member.

If you have a module damaged, it will operated at reduced effectiveness (50%) and if it is destroyed (0%) it will not operate.  Imagine NOT having a gun; an engine, turret traverse, tracks or optics.  Depending on your crew Skills (Firefighting, Repairs) the time it takes to repair the destroyed equipment can be as long as 30s.  Depending on the module, it may be longer or shorter.  Tracks with no repair skills take about 15s.  An engine takes about 25s.  A gun might take longer.

More Detail for Clarity --  Let's say you get hit in a tank without consumables and with consumables:

A crew member gets knocked out.  Your tank is now at an extreme disadvantage for the rest of the match.  Your driver gets knocked out and you will not have the ability to reach top speed, acceleration will be slower, traverses will take longer.  For the rest of the match.

How long do you think your tank will survive?  After all, you were hit and that means you are already in someone's sights.  In the above example, you're GOING to get hit again -- and again, until you are done.

Let's say, instead a module is damaged -- you get tracked.  Once tracked and with no consumables, you are a sitting duck for at least 15s.  You were already a target and now you're an easy target.  You WILL get taken out of play.

Using JUST small consumables, the same situations mean you stab a 4,5 or 6 (for fires) key and in the repair or 1st aid actions, you have to poke a second key, depending on module or crew member, and BAM, you're good to go and can move and operate with those things back to normal.  In the case of a fire, without an extinguisher, you're just going to burn until the fire burns out.  In so many cases, the fire burns out after you are destroyed.  If you have less than 200 HPs you are pretty much dead for sure.

My Mantra For Play:

Survive (if you do not survive you cannot)

Do Damage (if you can't or don't do this, find another way to)

Help Your Team (if you can't or won't do this it will be harder to)

Win *(which is NEVER guaranteed)

Having Large Consumables (or Premium Consumables, we won't get into the food and other things, let's just stick with Repair, 1st Aid and Fire Ext) provides passive bonus' as well as direct effects from using them.

Lg. Repair Kits provide a 10% reduction in repair times just by having them (so if you don't use them when damaged, it's almost like having a Tool Box or a couple of crew with the Repair Skill, which STACKS with Repair Skills on your Crew and with the Tool Box).

Lg. 1st Aid Kits provide a 15% reduction in the chance for Crew Member to be injured on a penetrating hit (so just having it provides a greater chance for your Crew to be safer from injury or death)

Auto Fire Ext. provides a 10% passive bonus to reducing a chance for fires in the first place.  If you DO catch fire, it puts it out for you within two ticks of damage (about 1.5s).

Yes, Premium Consumables are a good deal more expensive than Standard Consumables (the difference is almost 7 times more expensive) so you shouldn't be placing Premium Consumables on tanks below tier V and on tier V and VI units, one should consider your overall earnings potential.

That said, with being able to earn many millions of credits before a sale, I can get (as noted in my earlier post) over 700 Premium Consumables per Repair, 1st Aid and Fire Ext. in a single go (I did spend 16 Million credits, but that's what saving up the credits is for -- wait for a sale and instead of spending 32 Million I spent 16 and provided my Depot with a very large pool of resources that I won''t feel in my play earnings as I muddle my way through months of play).

(the longer you) Survive

(the more opportunity you have to) Do Damage

(the more damage you do the more you) Help Your Team

(the more you do that, the greater your chances to)  Win

Living and doing damage in a game are inextricably tied to each other.  Every point of damage you do provides XP and Credits.  Each time you Spot, Damage, Kill or gain Assisted Damage (through tracking, spotting, stunning or disabling a unit) the more XP and Credits you earn.  The more often and more consistently you do this, you will start earning quite a bit of both.  

Winning the game provides a Winner's Bonus to your XP and Credits.  The more you contribute to the win the greater overall those end rewards are going to be.  Even if you are on a losing team, if you consistently remain in the top three damage/XP earners on your team, the more likely you are to gain Courageous Resistance, which is a bonus to the top three (I believe) that is equal to the Winner's Bonus.  You don't just get it for top damage, though, you must also earn something like High Caliber, Top Gun, Fighter or get something like a Pascucci's, Stark's, Radley Walter's etc. showing that you were a major force on your team.

The more often you manage these things the better your earnings potential.  This is all without respect to having Premium Time (which I win relatively regularly, which helps) or to using Personal Reserves (which I occasionally use and is like Mini-Premium Time) to boost your earnings potential.

With all that in mind, you can, like I do, earn about two million credits a week of relatively casual play in the mid tiers (tiers IV-VI) without doing more than paying attention on purpose to the game and playing by:

The Mantra For Play:

Survive

Do Damage

Help Your Team

These are notes I copied for Crew Effectiveness Penalties.  They are from the WoT Wiki with regard to Crew:

• Injury or Death Penalty: A crew member who remains injured or is dead at the end of a battle is Penalized and will receive 10% less experience towards increasing their Training Level than he/she would have otherwise received. Using a Small First Aid Kit or Large First Aid Kit to heal a crew member will avoid this Penalty, unless they are injured again before the end of battle. Since the rate of crew injuries may not be the same across all the crew members, it is normal that each crew member will improve their Training Level at different rates than another tanker in the same crew should he/she be knocked out more or less often than their colleague.

Additionally, a crew member who is knocked out or killed during the course of a battle results in Penalties to the vehicle's performance characteristics. Crew members who are knocked out will perform their designated Major Qualifications at 0% Training Level in game mechanics calculations for crew related vehicle performance. If a crew member serves in multiple Major Qualifications in the vehicle, then all such roles associated with him take a Penalty if he/she is knocked-out. For example, in the event a Commander is knocked-out who is also serving as Gunner and Loader on a vehicle with a crew of 3, then the vehicle will suffer performance decrease for all 3 of their roles. Vehicle performance reductions include the following:
CrewJobCommandInjured.pngCommander knockout reduces the vehicle's view range.
CrewJobGunINjured.pngGunner knockout reduces aiming speed and increases dispersion. Turret traverse speed will also decrease. If the gun was in the process of zeroing in on target at the moment of the Gunner's death, the process might start over.
CrewJobDriveInjured.pngDriver knockout reduces the top speed, traverse speed, and acceleration of the vehicle.
CrewJobRadioInjured.pngRadio Operator knockout reduces radio range.
CrewJobLoadInjured.pngLoader knockout decreases reloading speed. If a shell was being loaded at the moment of the Loader's death, the process might start over.

I hope you found this information useful and helpful in the explanation of things.

GL, HF & HSYBF!
OvO

Edited by dunniteowl, Apr 21 2019 - 16:23.

Ironbutt2015 #17 Posted Apr 22 2019 - 19:41

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 16755 battles
You get many consumables for free.  Carry the large ones as they provide a bonus.  Just be very frugal with them and unlikely you will run out.  I have never bought one and been playing for years.

ISNomads #18 Posted Apr 22 2019 - 21:53

Major

• Players
  • 38296 battles
  • [WHAMO] WHAMO

For the majority of the player base, premium consumables (the 10K credit ones) are not worth it. Only good players will be able to get any significant value from them in battle. The only premium consumable I use is the automatic fire extinguisher, only because it is rarely consumed. Use the 3K credit versions of consumables.

At some point in your tanking career, you will be good enough to know when the premium consumables will make enough of a difference for your specific use case and at that point, you won't need to ask others. If you have to ask others, you are not ready to take advantage of them.

You will notice that nearly anyone saying differently is giving very specific use cases, TMI, or is spending money to feed the habit.

Edited by ISNomads, Apr 22 2019 - 21:56.

SquishySupreme #19 Posted Apr 23 2019 - 03:56

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 2119 battles
It depends.  Frontlines is a notable food must-use if you are using a SPG.  You won't lose money and that faster reload is more damage - it's quite noticeable since it stacks with inspiration.  

Most games, it's useless, aside from the basic repair kit/extinguisher/first aid.  I occasionally run food and fuel on a LT if I am trying to get a spotting mission completed.  I've out-spotted wheeled vehicles this way - run right behind them , stop - equipment activates - *I* get the spots instead of them, since they are still moving and I have a 520+ view range.  Easy XP.

Edited by SquishySupreme, Apr 23 2019 - 03:58.

Brianteen_03 #20 Posted Apr 23 2019 - 13:53

Private

• -Players-
  • 0 battles
Just free cash :trollface:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users