What is the deal with XVM? Should it be banned?

Mods XVM

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

Poll: Should XVM be banned? (99 members have cast votes)

You have to complete 100 battles in order to participate this poll.

Should XVM be banned?

1. Yes (45 votes [45.45%])

Percentage of vote: 45.45%

2. No (50 votes [50.51%])

Percentage of vote: 50.51%

3. *sip* Quake was a good game. (4 votes [4.04%])

Percentage of vote: 4.04%

Vote Hide poll

Fluttershy #1 Posted Apr 21 2019 - 04:56

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 3072 battles
  • [T-POL] T-POL

A simple thread with a simple question. According to this: http://forum.worldoftanks.com/index.php?/topic/601364-devs-reblance-info-mod-blocking-arty-maps-fl-xvm-and-much-more/page__fromsearch__1 XVM is going to be having a hard time sometime this year due to it being subverted by world of tanks itself. I honestly wish they would not allow any mods to be used at all considering this is a competitive game and mods that grant massive advantages (like zooming your camera out much further than default) shouldn't exist. So yes, I am bias in this matter but I want the community's opinion and maybe with a good enough argument my mind will change on the matter.

A few thoughts I would like to submit before I learned about XVM and what it can do:

I used to wonder, "how come that guy knew exactly which way to look when I was coming around this short really tight corner? He didn't even have to turn his turret around?" It was because he zoomed his camera so far out he was watching exactly where I was moving the whole time, from the other side of the building.

I also used to wonder, "how come that person refused to help me in this situation when in other times similar people would?" Because my rating is bad, helping me is a waste of time apparently. Oh here's a kicker; how come some arty for some reason always know exactly the best person to target, hmmm I wonder how they know how to target the 'most skilled' person on the enemy team every single time.

EDIT: Clarification, apparently the zoom out mod is not a part of the core XVM mod. It is however included (along with XVM) in most mod packs. So they end up getting used together most of the time.

Edited by Fluttershy, Apr 21 2019 - 05:18.

Zanarkand_C #2 Posted Apr 21 2019 - 05:06

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 33212 battles
  • [200IQ] 200IQ
Yes it should, cause if you know who is the better tank, the biggest threat then you have an advantage. You could focus them, tell your team to focus them or avoid them. An advantage is.... an advantage XD no matter how you spin it XVM is toxic in this game.

WeSayNotToday #3 Posted Apr 21 2019 - 05:11

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 21936 battles

View PostFluttershy, on Apr 21 2019 - 04:56, said:

:

I used to wonder, "how come that guy knew exactly which way to look when I was coming around this short really tight corner? He didn't even have to turn his turret around? It was because he zoomed his camera so far out he was watching exactly where I was moving the whole time, from the other side of the building.

XVM does not allow you to see someone who is not spotted.  The tanker could have just watched your marker approach, just as easily.

The zoom-out is nice.  XVM should not be banned, everyone should have it.  Same with zoom-out.

QoL stuff in the garage is really nice as well.

Red_Miles #4 Posted Apr 21 2019 - 05:11

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 2626 battles

View PostZanarkand_C, on Apr 21 2019 - 05:06, said:

Yes it should, cause if you know who is the better tank, the biggest threat then you have an advantage. You could focus them, tell your team to focus them or avoid them. An advantage is.... an advantage XD no matter how you spin it XVM is toxic in this game.

XVM's toxicity in my mind lies more in the attitude it promotes.  In a LOT of my games I see people immediately complaining about how we're going to lose with all these [edited]tomatoes, or my favorite, "Only a 35% chance of winning FML"  Thankfully I rarely see anyone suiciding because of this, but I also see a lot of people clearly not bothering to actually TRY to win because, in their mind, XVM already told them the outcome so screw it, which is an indirect suicide.  And XVM lies at the heart of a lot of this kind of negativity before a round even starts that has a huge impact on how hard people will actually try.

death_stryker #5 Posted Apr 21 2019 - 05:13

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 4575 battles
  • [LUCID] LUCID

I would like to clarify that the zoom mod is separate from the XVM mod, although many modpacks contain both. Personally, I think mods that change the gameplay mechanics of the game, such as the zoom mod, should not be allowed. I personally put it in the same category as illegal mods like Tundra and X-ray.

P0NYTANK #6 Posted Apr 21 2019 - 05:14

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 40156 battles
  • [GOONZ] GOONZ
Its not like the game going to die because the XVM going to be removed, is like when wg blocked the chat with the reds :B

Fluttershy #7 Posted Apr 21 2019 - 05:17

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 3072 battles
  • [T-POL] T-POL

View PostWeSayNotToday, on Apr 21 2019 - 04:11, said:

XVM does not allow you to see someone who is not spotted.  The tanker could have just watched your marker approach, just as easily.

The zoom-out is nice.  XVM should not be banned, everyone should have it.  Same with zoom-out.

QoL stuff in the garage is really nice as well.

Then you should campaign for WoT to have an official implication of XVM, or create their own version. I do not want to use third party mods in my competitive tank shooty game thanks.

62bish #8 Posted Apr 21 2019 - 05:27

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 40931 battles
  • [IXGD] IXGD
Seal clubbers just want to be able to club incognito. 

FastForward7 #9 Posted Apr 21 2019 - 05:32

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 10516 battles

View PostZanarkand_C, on Apr 21 2019 - 05:06, said:

XVM is still free, right? And available to everyone, yes? Then everyone has the same ability to use this advantage, correct? If you're trying to level the playing field then get rid of gold, premium time, consumables, publicly available information about armor thicknesses and weak spots, etc.. Whining about players making use of all the information that's available to them is just, well, whining. 

For the record, I do not use XVM. I used to, but haven't bothered since I've come back from my break from WOT.

Junbeyn #10 Posted Apr 21 2019 - 05:37

Captain

• Players
  • 33674 battles
  • [DERGN] DERGN
The only feature of XVM I take umbrage with is ingame stat viewers. That function helped cater a very toxic part of the community.

Fluttershy #11 Posted Apr 21 2019 - 05:47

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 3072 battles
  • [T-POL] T-POL

View Post62bish, on Apr 21 2019 - 04:27, said:

Seal clubbers just want to be able to club incognito. 

You know what? Let them. For every one person who wants that, there are at least 100 other people suffering. I would rather let one or two extra stealthy seal clubbers run free than let so many people get so toxic over people's numbers. Also, why do you care? Those folks getting seal clubbed aren't going to even know what XVM is, let alone how to combat it. You make no sense. 

View PostNefermandias, on Apr 21 2019 - 04:37, said:

The only feature of XVM I take umbrage with is ingame stat viewers. That function helped cater a very toxic part of the community.

That's a cool dragon my guy.

AimElement #12 Posted Apr 21 2019 - 05:57

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 715 battles
  • [BOND] BOND
XVM was created by the top clans back in the day. No way it goes anywhere.

62bish #13 Posted Apr 21 2019 - 06:09

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 40931 battles
  • [IXGD] IXGD
Clubbers want to be guilt and shame free while padding their stats they post in their forum signatures. Ban the stat sigs in forums too then, they're "toxic".

Fluttershy #14 Posted Apr 21 2019 - 06:47

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 3072 battles
  • [T-POL] T-POL

View Post62bish, on Apr 21 2019 - 05:09, said:

Clubbers want to be guilt and shame free while padding their stats they post in their forum signatures. Ban the stat sigs in forums too then, they're "toxic".

Yes.

tanopasman62 #15 Posted Apr 21 2019 - 06:58

Major

• -Players-
  • 19376 battles
  • [_ADP_] _ADP_

tbh they should implement the other XVM functions into the vanilla client, autoreturn crew or being able to add custom tags to people in your friends/blacklist was a nice feature when I used it.

That's the past though, now I stick to gun sound mods and extended blacklist (8k and counting!)

ChaseR392 #16 Posted Apr 21 2019 - 07:04

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 4821 battles

Yet to see a single seal clubber get guilt tripped in a battle... ever.

Even if they did... why would they care? If they had any guilt or shame they wouldn't be spamming gold in a Tier III tank with a 5 skill crew in the first place.

What I do see... every single day... if people giving up before the countdown clock ends. Scouts drowning themselves or YOLOing on purpose.... TD drivers going AFK, etc, etc. Screwing over the 14 guys before a single shot is fired. 

So happy those with 40k+ battles have the luxury of sandbagging a match they feel is beneath their greatness.... 

WeSayNotToday #17 Posted Apr 21 2019 - 07:43

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 21936 battles

View PostFluttershy, on Apr 21 2019 - 05:17, said:

Then you should campaign for WoT to have an official implication of XVM, or create their own version. I do not want to use third party mods in my competitive tank shooty game thanks.

No, I do not need to campaign at all.  I do support XVM whenever I am on the forum and I run across some other poster with a thread about it.

Just like WG has improved WoT by subsuming or absorbing/ copying mods, I think they should continue to do so.  Lots of mods improve game-play and garage efficiency and appearance.

For instance, the silly, ancient tank silhouette next to player names in the player lists in battle?  That you CAN include a Roman numeral tier number on, if you find that in the settings?  Those are a remnant from the early days of WoT, when the silhouette could identify a tank.  Now there are hundreds of tanks, with clone tanks abounding.  I use an Aslain's mod tank card that gives a colored [by tank class] 3D perspective view of each tank, and it includes the tank name and arabic numerals for the tier.  That means I can use smaller player lists during matches, because I do not need a separate name column in the player lists.  This is a blessing on my smaller monitor.  It also means that I can recognize the tank when it is in front of me more easily, and I can easily see the tier and class of everything remaining, with greater information density.

The tank silhouette is archaic and a waste of visual space, the tank cards from Aslain, a 3rd party mod, just make the tank lists, in-game, better.

Because I have an older computer, I use a 19 inch monitor to maintain a playable 40 fps.  I get 2 more excellent mods from Aslain as well, an fps limiter to keep my PC cool when it does not need to strain, and a UI scale device that makes my 19 inch monitor work the way I want it to, with a 2 or 3 row tank carousel without using the smaller tank frames [with worse tank pics and much less room in them]; I use the normal frames just scaled down a bit.  This also lets me declutter the hud in battle.

Of course I use the quicker crew return mod, and the equipment return mod.

These are obvious Quality of Life changes that WG should have copied LONG AGO, and there are more, yet.  That they have not is almost laughable, but, they do not have to, because the mods containing them are legal and free....

XVM and legal mods are just a reflection of the effort people will put into this quite-good game, both in making and sharing those mods, and in finding and using the legal ones.

View PostFastForward7, on Apr 21 2019 - 05:32, said:

XVM is still free, right? And available to everyone, yes? Then everyone has the same ability to use this advantage, correct? ..... Complaining about players making use of all the information that's available to them is just pointless.  [lightly edited]

I do think that anyone that wonders about XVM should get it immediately, and customize this game, legally, to their heart's content.

Edited by WeSayNotToday, Apr 21 2019 - 07:43.

Nixeldon #18 Posted Apr 21 2019 - 08:41

Captain

• Players
  • 59214 battles
  • [PRTSN] PRTSN

View PostP0NYTANK, on Apr 20 2019 - 23:14, said:

Its not like the game going to die because the XVM going to be removed, is like when wg blocked the chat with the reds :B

It just won't do anything to add life, just like blocking chat.

Bear5639 #19 Posted Apr 21 2019 - 08:47

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 7 battles
No, i dont think there is anything wrong with XVM, I know i have played a little better since using it, I only use it to see the better players on my team, I will go support the yellow, green, blue, purple players Instead of blindly going and supporting the TOP tier 8-10 tank with a 56 WN8.

Tolos #20 Posted Apr 21 2019 - 08:53

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 25997 battles
  • [GDF] GDF
XVM isn't the problem and never has been, player attitudes are. 

Also tagged with Mods, XVM

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users