• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

Siege_Engine #1 Posted Apr 21 2019 - 16:11

Captain

• -Players-
  • 11401 battles
  • [-UFA-] -UFA-

On a light Russian tank, instead of automatic fire extinguisher,

Maybe will train one crew member skill in firefighting, and using combat rations consumable??  

If I get the crew member fire fighting skill to 100% PLUS the 10% skill boost from combat ration, will that be anywhere close (or at least somewhat satisfactory) for firefighting?  Seems like it gets lit seldom enough to be a waste to run fire fighting, instead of a consumable?  

I_QQ_4_U #2 Posted Apr 21 2019 - 16:15

Major

• -Players-
  • 21820 battles
I don't worry about fires on light tanks all that much. Camo, VR then repairs are what's important.

Siege_Engine #3 Posted Apr 21 2019 - 16:29

Captain

• -Players-
  • 11401 battles
  • [-UFA-] -UFA-

View PostI_QQ_4_U, on Apr 21 2019 - 16:15, said:

I don't worry about fires on light tanks all that much. Camo, VR then repairs are what's important.

That's pretty much what I kinda had in the back of my mind.  But it seems like I get lit about one in 50 games?   But, that's probably worth the risk, regardless?  

riversteel #4 Posted Apr 21 2019 - 16:39

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 95834 battles
 In case of light tanks, I use only  fire extinguisher.

Anderwar #5 Posted Apr 21 2019 - 16:56

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 49030 battles
  • [L4ST] L4ST

Only tank what are must to have food for me are the light tanks cause it gives you more view range, the fires are bad but if you play the tier 10 lights consider the fire figtting for bonds cause you need every crew perk in that 3 tank crew. Personaly i use even food in my tier 6 t50-2 for 3 mark pourpuese.

I_QQ_4_U #6 Posted Apr 21 2019 - 17:10

Major

• -Players-
  • 21820 battles

View PostSiege_Engine, on Apr 21 2019 - 16:29, said:

That's pretty much what I kinda had in the back of my mind.  But it seems like I get lit about one in 50 games?   But, that's probably worth the risk, regardless?  

The only light tanks I notice catching fire are French and even that's pretty rare, it's usually tracks, engine, ammo rack or turret, sometimes all of them in one shot if it's HE. I'd rather boost their strengths that you use every single game than something that happens once in a blue moon. Now heavies, especially those prone to fire, is where I might use them since they use their HP as more of a resource.

Exiledcrow #7 Posted Apr 21 2019 - 17:11

Major

• Players
  • 49193 battles
  • [GURUS] GURUS
If trying to decide on a fire extinguisher, I always ask, "on this tank, is it even worth surviving a fire"? Light tanks having so few hit points, comparatively, it might not be. 

Pipinghot #8 Posted Apr 21 2019 - 17:16

Major

• Players
  • 25960 battles
  • [IOC] IOC

View PostSiege_Engine, on Apr 21 2019 - 10:11, said:

On a light Russian tank, instead of automatic fire extinguisher,

Maybe will train one crew member skill in firefighting, and using combat rations consumable??  

If I get the crew member fire fighting skill to 100% PLUS the 10% skill boost from combat ration, will that be anywhere close (or at least somewhat satisfactory) for firefighting?  Seems like it gets lit seldom enough to be a waste to run fire fighting, instead of a consumable? 

Trading a fire extinguisher for combat rations is a reasonable trade off, but I would suggest that you don't want use a crew skill on fire fighting until at least your 4th skill, and probably not even then.

For your light tanks:

Camo, BIA and even Repairs are more important than Firefighting, and those are just the group skills we haven't even looked at the individual skills yet. You take damage to modules (especially tracks) a lot more often than you get set on fire, repairs will be used often, firefighting only rarely.

Siege_Engine #9 Posted Apr 21 2019 - 17:17

Captain

• -Players-
  • 11401 battles
  • [-UFA-] -UFA-

View PostExiledcrow, on Apr 21 2019 - 17:11, said:

If trying to decide on a fire extinguisher, I always ask, "on this tank, is it even worth surviving a fire"? Light tanks having so few hit points, comparatively, it might not be. 

I had a fantastic game a few days ago.  Came down to me vs 3 or 4 enemy.  I won it and my hands were shaking.  I had to get up and get my fourth cup of coffee … to calm down. 

If I had been lit up …. oh man.  

On the other hand, as you say, I was down to a one shot.  Probably wouldn't have mattered.  Good point!  

Exiledcrow #10 Posted Apr 21 2019 - 17:20

Major

• Players
  • 49193 battles
  • [GURUS] GURUS

View PostSiege_Engine, on Apr 21 2019 - 17:17, said:

I had a fantastic game a few days ago.  Came down to me vs 3 or 4 enemy.  I won it and my hands were shaking.  I had to get up and get my fourth cup of coffee … to calm down. 

If I had been lit up …. oh man.  

On the other hand, as you say, I was down to a one shot.  Probably wouldn't have mattered.  Good point!  

I dropped it on my Bert, for instance, the tea and biscuits for the performance boost are more useful. Any fire comes from a shot that smacked me hard, hard enough that I'm probably f-ed even without burning.

Siege_Engine #11 Posted Apr 21 2019 - 17:22

Captain

• -Players-
  • 11401 battles
  • [-UFA-] -UFA-

View PostPipinghot, on Apr 21 2019 - 17:16, said:

Trading a fire extinguisher for combat rations is a reasonable trade off, but I would suggest that you don't want use a crew skill on fire fighting until at least your 4th skill, and probably not even then.

For your light tanks:

Camo, BIA and even Repairs are more important than Firefighting, and those are just the group skills we haven't even looked at the individual skills yet. You take damage to modules (especially tracks) a lot more often than you get set on fire, repairs will be used often, firefighting only rarely.

Thanks.  Gunner has BIA, camo, snap shot, deadeye, repairs 96%.  

Edited by Siege_Engine, Apr 21 2019 - 17:27.

Siege_Engine #12 Posted Apr 21 2019 - 17:25

Captain

• -Players-
  • 11401 battles
  • [-UFA-] -UFA-

You guys have any suggestions regarding deadeye vs designated target, also  on the Russian light?   I'm leaning toward designated target because it would be useful more often?  

Deadeye only damages modules WITHOUT adding to direct damage or to damage assist, true ???

Edited by Siege_Engine, Apr 21 2019 - 17:26.

Pipinghot #13 Posted Apr 21 2019 - 17:29

Major

• Players
  • 25960 battles
  • [IOC] IOC

View PostExiledcrow, on Apr 21 2019 - 11:11, said:

That's pretty much backwards, every tank is "worth surviving a fire" because that keeps you in the battle helping your team. A tank with even 1 HP is still useful, a tank with 0 HP is not. The real question you should be asking is "can this tank survive a hit that would normally cause a fire", and unless you get unlucky the answer, even for light tanks, is usually "Yes".

The decision of a extinguisher vs rations is basically trying to decide which one will give you a greater net profit and winning more often. If you can stay alive and stay in the battle (by using an extinguisher) you have a smaller repair bill and you can keep earning XP & credits, and possibly help win, as you continue to fight. On the other hand, that only matters when something bad happens (a fire), so would you earn more XP and Credits by using Combat Rations instead? The answer to that questions is not easy, it depends on the individual player. The better a player someone is the more that combat rations benefit them. Rations are fairly expensive at 20,000 credits each so a person has to ask themsef whether they're actually going to earn 20,000 more credits per game by running rations than they would without them.

It's obvious that the benefits of an extinguisher are situational, you have to get set on fire for it to matter. But what's less obvious is that rations are also situational, the player has to earn enough credits and XP that it makes the cost of the rations worthwhile.

gingerted91 #14 Posted Apr 21 2019 - 18:32

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 1312 battles
  • [MORDR] MORDR

View PostSiege_Engine, on Apr 21 2019 - 16:11, said:

Short answer no.

If you choose to dropping an AFE to run food, then running the firefighting directive is the best compromise.

heavymetal1967 #15 Posted Apr 21 2019 - 19:30

Major

• Players
  • 70833 battles
  • [HSOLO] HSOLO

OP I don't think FF on one crew member will help that much.  But per some of the others the trade off for running food vs. fire isn't that bad since fires are pretty rare.

But I generally don't run food on anything.  Mainly cause I'm cheap though. :P

Even if you run food, until you can grind out FF on more crew that skill slot is better used for something else imo.  Maybe third slot on a Loader behind camo and repairs, but personally I'd still put stowage before it.  On the other slots I'd run it fourth or fifth at best depending on the crew slot.

Question on FF directive.  If you run it does it get used up even if you don't have a fire?  The way I understand it they're just like food they get used up, but seeking confirmation.  And TIA.

SporkBoy #16 Posted Apr 21 2019 - 20:41

Major

• Players
  • 45952 battles
  • [PZB] PZB
Need FF 100% on all crews along with directive (which gets consumed each game) and still not as effective as an extinguisher. It does open a spot for food which helps in multiple ways.

Siege_Engine #17 Posted Apr 21 2019 - 20:50

Captain

• -Players-
  • 11401 battles
  • [-UFA-] -UFA-

Okay … I started to use a consumable for the very first time, ever.  Here's what I found.  

In the past, I've added equipment, crew skills, and so on.  The advantages were gradual.  So I didn't really notice.  

Then I added a consumable, today.  For the very first time.  

The advantages provided by a consumable are MASSIVE.  Not mathematical or theoretical.  The advantages are immediately and extremely noticeable in every aspect while I play a battle.  I would rather my tank catch on fire every time it was hit, rather than to get rid of consumables.  Okay, I'm exaggerating.  But, not by much.  But seriously, I would rather get rid of gold shells, than get rid of consumables. 

Pakka77 #18 Posted Apr 21 2019 - 21:34

Corporal

• Players
  • 14781 battles
  • [CAMLT] CAMLT

The fastest way to have your tank be on fire is remove the fire extinguisher, I've had a few friends try and free up that spot and it seems the RNG notices and as such your chance of fire goes up 50% or more :)

DrWho_ #19 Posted Apr 21 2019 - 21:57

Major

• -Players-
  • 22025 battles

I usually don't run a FE on LTs for the same reasons mentioned above, if spotted most tanks will hurt you so bad it won't make much of a difference. I don't always run food in place of the FE though, an extra repair kit or med kit may be a reasonable trade off too. As a rule I only run small kits but will supplement with one large kit depending on the type of tank and on an LT having a repair kit can sometimes save your butt if you're tracked in the open and have already used your repair kit. Alternatively it will speed up repairs even if not used if you got splashed by arty in an otherwise secure location. Or protect your crew a bit from injury if you run a large med kit in addition.

I'm not the best player out there so I try to think outside the box and see if I can come up with something that helps me and the way I play and I seem to have a bit of luck as far as the LTs go, for most of the other classes ..... not so much :)

omi5cron #20 Posted Apr 22 2019 - 00:35

Major

• Players
  • 22907 battles
im not sure why but i rarely see my tank getting burned these days.way back,i noticed it a lot,started running AFE.nowadays ive dropped AFE in many tanks,freeing the space for lg med kit.my first 2 slots are usually sm and lg rep kits. i do use the food on a very few, and proper directives to add to what my tank/crew is lacking.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users