Deadeye vs Designated target on Russian light?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

Siege_Engine #1 Posted Apr 21 2019 - 16:57

Captain

• -Players-
  • 11225 battles
  • [-UFA-] -UFA-
Is deadeye or designated target better for Russian light.  I think Designated target cause useful more often?  

Edited by Siege_Engine, Apr 21 2019 - 17:39.

PTwr #2 Posted Apr 21 2019 - 17:25

Major

• Players
  • 44323 battles
  • [BITSA] BITSA

Deadeye gives small percentage to already small percentage which in practice is even lower because first you need to hit that module.

Designated Target gives you two more seconds on top of base 5, that's 40% boost. For example, you can spot enemy from bush, get back behind it to safely shot, and squeeze out two shots instead of one before having to get back into bush to spot again.

But Snap Shot is still better choice if you want to deal damage on your own.

Edited by PTwr, Apr 21 2019 - 17:26.

Pipinghot #3 Posted Apr 21 2019 - 17:34

Major

• Players
  • 25960 battles
  • [IOC] IOC
Yes, for a light tank Designated Target is going to be better than Deadeye. As you say, it will come into play a lot more often than Deadeye.

gingerted91 #4 Posted Apr 21 2019 - 17:44

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 1120 battles
  • [MORDR] MORDR

Gunner: BIA, Camo, Snap Shot, Repair, Designated Target

ensure you understand how DT works...

Tanking /w Science! Deadeye & Designated Target

Edited by gingerted91, Apr 21 2019 - 17:45.

Gothraul #5 Posted Apr 21 2019 - 17:49

Major

• -Players-
  • 2169 battles
Neither as there is more useful perks like snap shot and camo that just works regardless, dead eye is only good for auto loaders and guns with very high rates of fire like the E25 for example while designated target has already been described but is situational which is only useful for brief moments when the meta or the maps allow it also a lot of people just blind shot anyway. 

Siege_Engine #6 Posted Apr 21 2019 - 18:02

Captain

• -Players-
  • 11225 battles
  • [-UFA-] -UFA-

View PostGothraul, on Apr 21 2019 - 17:49, said:

Neither as there is more useful perks like snap shot and camo that just works regardless, dead eye is only good for auto loaders and guns with very high rates of fire like the E25 for example while designated target has already been described but is situational which is only useful for brief moments when the meta or the maps allow it also a lot of people just blind shot anyway. 

Sorry, should have said in OP ...  Have BIA, camo, snap shot, deadeye, and firefighting.  Carry large repair and large firstaid.  

After first few responses here, swapped out deadeye, and replaced with designated target.  

Biggest reason is that I'm hopeful that while designated target allows me to spot for those 2 extra seconds, then that spotting is also still useful to my team???  If I'm spotting for a few TD's those 2 seconds might be huge???  Not sure that's right???

gingerted91 #7 Posted Apr 21 2019 - 18:39

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 1120 battles
  • [MORDR] MORDR

View PostSiege_Engine, on Apr 21 2019 - 18:02, said:

Biggest reason is that I'm hopeful that while designated target allows me to spot for those 2 extra seconds, then that spotting is also still useful to my team???  If I'm spotting for a few TD's those 2 seconds might be huge???  Not sure that's right???

True.

But review the vid so you understand the very limited nature of how to engage DT for best results.  Everything does not stay lit longer, only that which is within 10 degrees (+/- 5?) of the reticle (which one?)

SporkBoy #8 Posted Apr 21 2019 - 19:06

Major

• Players
  • 43806 battles
  • [PZB] PZB
DT FTW! Keep those reds lit.

Siege_Engine #9 Posted Apr 21 2019 - 20:31

Captain

• -Players-
  • 11225 battles
  • [-UFA-] -UFA-

View Postgingerted91, on Apr 21 2019 - 18:39, said:

True.

But review the vid so you understand the very limited nature of how to engage DT for best results.  Everything does not stay lit longer, only that which is within 10 degrees (+/- 5?) of the reticle (which one?)

Thank you, I will watch it, now.  

Siege_Engine #10 Posted Apr 21 2019 - 20:42

Captain

• -Players-
  • 11225 battles
  • [-UFA-] -UFA-

View Postgingerted91, on Apr 21 2019 - 17:44, said:

Gunner: BIA, Camo, Snap Shot, Repair, Designated Target

ensure you understand how DT works...

Tanking /w Science! Deadeye & Designated Target

Okay, I watched this.  WOW!   Huge info.  I feel dirty geeky after acknowledging its supreme worth!  Nice.  Thanks for sharing this!  

SporkBoy #11 Posted Apr 21 2019 - 20:50

Major

• Players
  • 43806 battles
  • [PZB] PZB
Running the directive further increases the time out to 14 seconds - well worth it in many situations.

ThePigSheFlies #12 Posted Apr 22 2019 - 00:07

Major

• Players
  • 69966 battles
  • [SIMP] SIMP

View PostSiege_Engine, on Apr 21 2019 - 10:57, said:

Is deadeye or designated target better for Russian light.  I think Designated target cause useful more often?  

given that there aren't very many times to sit passive in a bush, and look at a target to keep it lit, I always go with dead-eye on anything with mobility to get to flanks, and reasonable dpm (like the T54LTWT)

there are entire maps where designated target will never be useful.

NeatoMan #13 Posted Apr 22 2019 - 04:03

Major

• Players
  • 27561 battles

I never fully understood DT, even after watching the video.   Do you have to click on something to make it a designated target, or does it do it automatically when you are just looking at it?

The video shows him using auto-aim to lock on it, and keep his reticle on it, but what about when you hit the "request fire" key (mine is "E" )?  I thought that would also "designate" the target, and then you could do what you want.

View PostThePigSheFlies, on Apr 21 2019 - 18:07, said:

given that there aren't very many times to sit passive in a bush, and look at a target to keep it lit, I always go with dead-eye on anything with mobility to get to flanks, and reasonable dpm (like the T54LTWT)

I get dead-eye on tanks with auto-cannons or high rof.  More chances to crit.

gingerted91 #14 Posted Apr 22 2019 - 17:00

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 1120 battles
  • [MORDR] MORDR

View PostNeatoMan, on Apr 22 2019 - 04:03, said:

I never fully understood DT, even after watching the video.   Do you have to click on something to make it a designated target, or does it do it automatically when you are just looking at it?

The video shows him using auto-aim to lock on it, and keep his reticle on it, but what about when you hit the "request fire" key (mine is "E" )?  I thought that would also "designate" the target, and then you could do what you want.

I get dead-eye on tanks with auto-cannons or high rof.  More chances to crit.

No clicking  or "designating" required AFAIK.  I always wondered what happens if you scan or sweep with your turret with multiple targets?  As I don't run DT often no incentive to test.

Deadeye is good for high alpha guns as well, due to the significant module damage.

NeatoMan #15 Posted Apr 22 2019 - 17:59

Major

• Players
  • 27561 battles

View Postgingerted91, on Apr 22 2019 - 11:00, said:

No clicking  or "designating" required AFAIK.  I always wondered what happens if you scan or sweep with your turret with multiple targets?  As I don't run DT often no incentive to test.

Deadeye is good for high alpha guns as well, due to the significant module damage.

Well, bollocks.   I would have thought using the key that identifies targets would have worked for designated target.

Pipinghot #16 Posted Apr 22 2019 - 20:20

Major

• Players
  • 25960 battles
  • [IOC] IOC

View PostNeatoMan, on Apr 22 2019 - 11:59, said:

View Postgingerted91, on Apr 22 2019 - 11:00, said:

Well, bollocks.   I would have thought using the key that identifies targets would have worked for designated target.

Yeah, that's both the blessing and the curse of DT. You don't have to do anything to "designate" them, just have your reticle aimed at or near them and it passively just works, that's the blessing. But... if you move your reticle away from them they cease to be designated, a target has to stay within that cone around your reticle or you lose the extra 2 seconds. This means you can't just sweep your reticle across the screen and make every enemy stay lighted for the extra time, you have to have your reticle aimed in their direction until the entire bonus time expires.

The upside of this behavior is that it lets you choose which target(s) to keep lit up longer without having to press any extra keys. Let's say that Target-A was spotted 5 seconds before Target-B. You aim your reticle at Target-A until the entire time (including the extra 2 seconds) expires and then move your reticle to Target-B which is still lit up but about to expire. The moment that Target-B is within your cone it suddenly becomes "designated" and you get to add the extra 2 seconds to Target-B even though you only looked at him at the last moment. Obviously this sort of finesse takes practice, it's not the kind of thing that you just magically tell your reflexes to do in the heat of battle, so each player has to decide how likely it is that they will be able to add this to their bag of tricks.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users