Special events? Missions? Why bother?

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

cantgobacknow #1 Posted Apr 22 2019 - 06:46

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 12866 battles

So my stats are poor. I'll have one 3,000 WN8 match, then 5 matches where I'm 0 WN8. A couple at 1,200, then a few at 300.

So, when there are special events on, I don't even try. Why bother? I know I'm not going to get anything. And missions? I have a few (though I don't understand the mission UI at all), but I never bother hitting N to see the requirements because why bother.

Does anyone else feel / do the same?

I understand why players are rewarded for playing well, but there isn't really much incentive for us players with poor stats to keep playing. Why match making doesn't take skill into consideration (whether it's WN8 or win rate, or whatever) I've on idea. And for F* sakes, why put me into a match when other players 2 tiers higher with more skill and the same tank class are in the same match! I wish we had a PVE mode as does Armoured Warfare or World of Warships.

I_QQ_4_U #2 Posted Apr 22 2019 - 07:04

Major

• -Players-
  • 22864 battles

View Postcantgobacknow, on Apr 22 2019 - 06:46, said:

So my stats are poor. I'll have one 3,000 WN8 match, then 5 matches where I'm 0 WN8. A couple at 1,200, then a few at 300.

So, when there are special events on, I don't even try. Why bother? I know I'm not going to get anything. And missions? I have a few (though I don't understand the mission UI at all), but I never bother hitting N to see the requirements because why bother.

I understand why players are rewarded for playing well, but there isn't really much incentive for us players with poor stats to keep playing. Why match making doesn't take skill into consideration (whether it's WN8 or win rate, or whatever) I've on idea. And for F* sakes, why put me into a match when other players 2 tiers higher with more skill and the same tank class are in the same match! I wish we had a PVE mode as does Armoured Warfare or World of Warships.

Everyone gets lots of free stuff for doing basically nothing, like the rewards they just added for literally doing nothing but play, but the harder things are obviously there to reward players who either put in the time or play well, just like every game. The whole point is to get people to play the game more but a ton of the missions are so easy to do anyone should be able to get some of them done regardless of skill level.

As far as SBMM goes it wouldn't make the games any better for bad players because it would never be matched by all players on both teams having the same skill level, that just couldn't work. All it would do is even out the teams so that they would rely on the better players to carry them for wins more.

Why not just make an effort to play better?

Edited by I_QQ_4_U, Apr 22 2019 - 07:05.

HeavyMetalMech #3 Posted Apr 22 2019 - 07:14

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 25064 battles
You know what? I suck compared to the vast majority but I turned off XVM and rarely look at my own garage stats. I enjoy the game. As in real life, I can do better than some others but there will always be someone better than me. In this case a lot of people. I'm probably handed my a$$ by 10 year olds and 80 yo folks. Play it for yourself. There are sessions when I play that I feel all I have gained for the week is lost but maybe next week will be different. You aren't getting paid for it and you can always set goals for incremental gains. I have just worked on playing my tanks through painful grinds until they are in Elite status and on to the next. Pick events that are realistic. The EBR event got me some free stuff but I wasn't after the tank and didn't fair better than level 4. I would have liked the Italian medium but only got to level 4 as well. I did much better on the last US TD but lost too much sleep over that. The T-34S was much better suited to me and saw it though to the end. Every once in a while they will throw a bone and I try to take advantage of that. 

tanopasman62 #4 Posted Apr 22 2019 - 07:16

Major

• -Players-
  • 21195 battles
  • [_ADP_] _ADP_

I just activate the missions, if I get free stuff, good, if I don't, it doesn't matter.

Focusing on what I want to do on the game instead of a seasonal event/marathon spares me unnecessary stress.

cantgobacknow #5 Posted Apr 22 2019 - 07:19

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 12866 battles

View PostI_QQ_4_U, on Apr 22 2019 - 01:04, said:

Why not just make an effort to play better?

I've played for years (since beta). I've watched every video by LemmingRush, Quickybaby, etc. Read tons. My reactions are slow, my spatial recognition is terrible. I'm as good as I'm going to get.

I'm really more of a RPG type.

Truthfully I don't know why I keep coming back to tanks. I really can't stand the appearance of pre-modern main battle tanks.

Edited by cantgobacknow, Apr 22 2019 - 07:29.

Jryder #6 Posted Apr 22 2019 - 07:30

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 13911 battles

Don't sweat the special events, missions, etc. I've been here since beta, have never been in a clan, and don't ever bother with any of that stuff (Except for FL). I know I'm not going to win anything or spend the mountain of hours necessary (not to mention that I don't have the skills...). I don't play nearly as much as I used to but when I play, I play for fun and to try and learn a little something just to get better. I would LIKE to be able to jump in and be a dominant player, but that's not me. I'm Green and I will likely always be Green. If I play a lot, I do better but when I take time off the rust sets in quickly and takes longer and longer to get back in shape. Remember, it's just a game. If it isn't fun don't play anymore...OR, it's just a game so have fun. Watch good player videos. You could even find a tutor if it suits you. Just don't sweat the event/mission/etc. stuff. 

As for skill-based matchmaking, I put it this way. One doesn't get to the NBA by playing a bunch of no-skill school kids. Playing only with similar skilled players gains you nothing. You get better by playing better players and learning from them. All that you will learn by playing nothing but weak players is how to play against-and like-weak players. If a high skill guy kicks your but, go back and watch the tape to see what he did. If upper tiers are too tough, play lower tiers until you get better. This isn't a race to T10-play the tanks/tiers you like and have fun.

Oh. ya, turn off chat. It'll make the experience much less stressful.

cantgobacknow #7 Posted Apr 22 2019 - 07:58

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 12866 battles

View PostJryder, on Apr 22 2019 - 01:30, said:

As for skill-based matchmaking, I put it this way. One doesn't get to the NBA by playing a bunch of no-skill school kids. Playing only with similar skilled players gains you nothing. You get better by playing better players and learning from them. All that you will learn by playing nothing but weak players is how to play against-and like-weak players. If a high skill guy kicks your but, go back and watch the tape to see what he did. If upper tiers are too tough, play lower tiers until you get better. This isn't a race to T10-play the tanks/tiers you like and have fun.

Oh. ya, turn off chat. It'll make the experience much less stressful.

Skill based matchmaking doesn't mean someone above your WN8 rating can't be in your battle, it would just help getting teams which are more even.

Winning 15-1, or losing 1-15, just is not fun. I prefer matches where the teams are roughly even.

VooDooKobra #8 Posted Apr 22 2019 - 08:10

Major

• Players
  • 9992 battles
  • [MOVE] MOVE

View Postcantgobacknow, on Apr 21 2019 - 22:46, said:

View Postcantgobacknow, on Apr 21 2019 - 23:58, said:

Skill based matchmaking doesn't mean someone above your WN8 rating can't be in your battle, it would just help getting teams which are more even.

Winning 15-1, or losing 1-15, just is not fun. I prefer matches where the teams are roughly even.

One thing that i liked from the last marathon was they did away with the win requirement which means even though i missed a few days due to work i was still able to get it down to 50%.  Most of the time i dont hit N either because i tend to stress out if i dont get the mission done fast.  if i ignore it and play  normally i have had luck be on my side and get completions.  

Mojo_Riesing #9 Posted Apr 22 2019 - 08:52

Captain

• Players
  • 20170 battles
  • [ACATS] ACATS

An thread the WG developers and corporate folks should read.  I think that there are a LOT of folks who feel like this. WoT is chock full of things you CAN do for "xtra credit" and get neat stuff, but it's out of the reach of the average casual player. That's ok really, folks who dedicate lives to the game deserve SOMETHING for their prodigious efforts.

It should however concern WG that much of the player base MAY be very disconnected from that.

DrWho_ #10 Posted Apr 22 2019 - 10:49

Major

• -Players-
  • 25058 battles
  • [GFLC] GFLC

You sound like me a while back when I was on the verge of quitting as I felt I was going nowhere and I wasn't having much fun being an XP pinata for the better players. Figured I'd give it one more shot but with a completely fresh approach and told myself that pretty much everything I knew about the game was "wrong".

I was primarily a TD and SPG player and was constantly annoyed about many LTs not doing a very good job at scouting and asked myself, can I do a better job than many of those guys and decided to give it a go since I enjoyed watching Taugrim and 4Tanker's videos anyways and 4Tanker in particular plays a lot of LTs. Having played a lot of SPGs I knew the maps pretty well in general and you also get a good overview on how other people play

I also stopped comparing myself to other players because at 53 I have my limitations and only compared myself to my previous performance. I'll still never be a Unicum but but playing mostly tier 6/7/8 LTs I'm usually in the 13-1500 WN8 area even on "bad" days and above 2k on really good days. I've 2 marked a couple of my LTs and my WR in most of them are 55-60% which suggests that I'm doing something right compared to what I was doing before seeing as my overall WN8 is under 1k with a WR barely above 50%

I'm not a Yolo scout, I don't have the dexterity to drive into a crowded area and get out alive. I take my time in the early part of the came focusing on staying alive and getting some early spots for my team but preferably without dying or taking too many hits. Dead scouts are useless scouts. I know my limitations and I've managed to find a way to play within those limitations.

Sounds like you basically enjoy the game so why not take a step back and ask yourself, what if anything am I doing wrong according to my abilities ?

The first thing I did was move back a little bit from the screen so I'm not quite as focused on what's going on in the center of the screen and I also enlarged the minimap a bit as it's so damn easy to lose focus on your surroundings.

Now the things I did may not work for you but the point is to take stock and then focus on the things you do well. If you can't be a front line brawler in a HT then don't be, support those guys who can instead and be their wingman. I hardly ever carry a game but I've gotten half decent at supporting those guys who can and the most important part I've "learned" is that you're no good to your team if you're dead and while it's sometimes taking one for the team is the right thing to do most people quite simply die too soon having accomplished little or nothing

Hope you figure things out and if you don't and don't have much fun playing then stop playing, at least for a while. Don't turn this game into a grind. I just quit playing FL because it was exactly that, a grind, I wasn't having any fun and the rewards not worth the aggro 

Badkarma #11 Posted Apr 22 2019 - 11:16

Captain

• Players
  • 32213 battles

The incentives for everybody are to have fun and/or get better; if you're not having fun (and part of having fun for you is getting better) then stop. Everybody doesn't get a trophy all the time, keep at it and you'll improve to the point where you can get some rewards. Do you just expect to be handed A's at school or promotions at work??

eisen1973 #12 Posted Apr 22 2019 - 11:58

Major

• Players
  • 64640 battles
  • [GRIMR] GRIMR
Why bother? Having goals is what makes this game interesting and the whole point of doing anything. That 's why stats are being kept here and can be consulted. IF there were no missions or events every battle would be played for the sake of blowing an enemy tank and repeat. 

ColonelShakes #13 Posted Apr 22 2019 - 12:16

Captain

• -Players-
  • 16469 battles
  • [CDN] CDN

Sup snowflake.   You checked off every single qualifier to be one.  

Your first clue should be this 'not understanding mission ui' .  LeL uninstall the game and go pick up a book.  When you figure out what a Table of Contents is , come back and tell us about it.  At that point we will judge whether you are ready to try your hand at reading the mission ui.  

Small steps.  We will prevail over your stupidity.

24cups #14 Posted Apr 22 2019 - 13:09

Major

• Players
  • 24498 battles
  • [D-DAY] D-DAY
I don't "do" missions. I activate them and then play. If I happen to get one done without trying,  bonus  !

Mojo_Riesing #15 Posted Apr 22 2019 - 14:17

Captain

• Players
  • 20170 battles
  • [ACATS] ACATS

View Posteisen1973, on Apr 22 2019 - 02:58, said:

Why bother? Having goals is what makes this game interesting and the whole point of doing anything. That 's why stats are being kept here and can be consulted. IF there were no missions or events every battle would be played for the sake of blowing an enemy tank and repeat. 

Clearly there are folks, likely a lot of them, that do not play the game for the same reasons you do.  I play some of them, but not the ones that require slavish hours of play. To each their own.

golruul #16 Posted Apr 22 2019 - 16:55

Captain

• Players
  • 22118 battles

So you're interested in playing the game only if WG rigs the matches so you win more?  Really?

How about just ignoring all missions (except for activating any/all codes that are needed) and playing the game for fun?  If you happen to complete a mission while you're playing the game for fun, you just happen to get some extra stuff.  This is how I play.

From what I saw, for the important missions like the marathons, WG offers a "grind more" option in addition to the "high skill" option.

gingerted91 #17 Posted Apr 22 2019 - 17:08

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 1398 battles
  • [MORDR] MORDR

View Postcantgobacknow, on Apr 22 2019 - 07:19, said:

I've played for years (since beta). I've watched every video by LemmingRush, Quickybaby, etc. Read tons. My reactions are slow, my spatial recognition is terrible. I'm as good as I'm going to get.

I'm really more of a RPG type.

Truthfully I don't know why I keep coming back to tanks. I really can't stand the appearance of pre-modern main battle tanks.

You probably fight your tank just fine.  WoT is not a twitch shooter.  I suspect your problem is map positioning, how to win maps, and following, reacting to, an imposing your will on the battle flow.

There are layers to the game you have not grasped.  SBMM is not the answer...

cantgobacknow #18 Posted Apr 24 2019 - 23:13

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 12866 battles

View PostColonelShakes, on Apr 22 2019 - 06:16, said:

Sup snowflake.   You checked off every single qualifier to be one.  

Your first clue should be this 'not understanding mission ui' .  LeL uninstall the game and go pick up a book.  When you figure out what a Table of Contents is , come back and tell us about it.  At that point we will judge whether you are ready to try your hand at reading the mission ui.  

Small steps.  We will prevail over your stupidity.

As a professional UX designer and senior computer programmer I think their choice of interfaces is poor. What are your qualifications again?

NightmareMk9 #19 Posted Apr 25 2019 - 09:12

Major

• Players
  • 35246 battles
  • [ZOUTH] ZOUTH

You really are missing some "key" component of the game.  You play lots of HTs and not very well.  Your most played tank (T29) is WAY below where it should be.  That tank is probably the best tier 7 in the game.

Skill based MM or Skill matched mm won't help you.

I can't play the "twitch" FPS games like Fortnite, so I don't play them...

cantgobacknow #20 Posted Apr 25 2019 - 11:54

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 12866 battles

View PostNightmareMk9, on Apr 25 2019 - 03:12, said:

You really are missing some "key" component of the game.  You play lots of HTs and not very well.  Your most played tank (T29) is WAY below where it should be.  That tank is probably the best tier 7 in the game.

Skill based MM or Skill matched mm won't help you.

I can't play the "twitch" FPS games like Fortnite, so I don't play them...

I'm very big on aesthetics, and I think pre-MBTs are fairly ugly and unappealing. WOT did a reasonable job of modeling the tanks, I just don't like World War I & II tanks. So I hated playing a LOT of the tanks in the game. The M103 I enjoyed, my WN8 is just over 1,000 in that. Ditto for the Tiger 1.

Mostly I try to rush through the tanks which I think look ugly to get to tanks which I think look good (and that doesn't necessarily mean tier ten tanks either). Personally I did not enjoy the journey to the tanks I wanted to be in.

Edited by cantgobacknow, Apr 25 2019 - 11:55.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users