Special events? Missions? Why bother?

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

_Tsavo_ #21 Posted Apr 25 2019 - 12:25

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 46222 battles
  • [BRVE] BRVE
Skill-based MM would be butts.   Everyone gets themselves a 50% win rate, woo-hoo! 

VooDooKobra #22 Posted Apr 25 2019 - 14:13

Major

• Players
  • 9999 battles
  • [MOVE] MOVE

View Postcantgobacknow, on Apr 21 2019 - 22:46, said:

So my stats are poor. I'll have one 3,000 WN8 match, then 5 matches where I'm 0 WN8. A couple at 1,200, then a few at 300.

So, when there are special events on, I don't even try. Why bother? I know I'm not going to get anything. And missions? I have a few (though I don't understand the mission UI at all), but I never bother hitting N to see the requirements because why bother.

Does anyone else feel / do the same?

I understand why players are rewarded for playing well, but there isn't really much incentive for us players with poor stats to keep playing. Why match making doesn't take skill into consideration (whether it's WN8 or win rate, or whatever) I've on idea. And for F* sakes, why put me into a match when other players 2 tiers higher with more skill and the same tank class are in the same match! I wish we had a PVE mode as does Armoured Warfare or World of Warships.

Nope, i still give it a shot.  in fact it feels good when i see that little completed message when really all i was doing was trying to play the game but things went my way and managed to complete missions.  there is a hockey saying, you miss 100% of the shots you do not take.  so no harm in at least trying, some you will get some not.  PVE mode has been brought up here from time to time and they do have it for lower tiers on the SA server when they added bots.    but seeing what damage the pve mode did to AW i wouldnt want that here

HeraldricKnight #23 Posted Apr 25 2019 - 14:53

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 8536 battles

View PostMojo_Riesing, on Apr 22 2019 - 07:52, said:

An thread the WG developers and corporate folks should read.  I think that there are a LOT of folks who feel like this. WoT is chock full of things you CAN do for "xtra credit" and get neat stuff, but it's out of the reach of the average casual player. That's ok really, folks who dedicate lives to the game deserve SOMETHING for their prodigious efforts.

It should however concern WG that much of the player base MAY be very disconnected from that.

How is the basic, daily missions for each class type out of reach for average players?

'X Tank' Daily Mission III rewards 10K experience, which helps players climb out of Tier IV and V quicker for less effort than the personal campaign missions. There's enough 'easy' missions to just grease the skids (credits, med-packs, repair kits) and Blue Prints on top of that to reward a player just for playing random battles. 

Casual players have it far, FAR easier now than before. 

Edited by WhiteBishop, Apr 25 2019 - 14:54.

Copacetic #24 Posted Apr 25 2019 - 15:33

Captain

• -Players-
  • 47282 battles
  • [ZEUS] ZEUS
Sounds like this complicated difficult single death game is not for you mate. Come play Legends of Aria with us.

Tao_Te_Tomato #25 Posted Apr 25 2019 - 16:12

Major

• -Players-
  • 27552 battles
  • [TER] TER

View Posteisen1973, on Apr 22 2019 - 11:58, said:

Why bother? Having goals is what makes this game interesting and the whole point of doing anything. That 's why stats are being kept here and can be consulted. IF there were no missions or events every battle would be played for the sake of blowing an enemy tank and repeat. 

Not that there's anything wrong with that, of course.  :)

Copacetic #26 Posted Apr 25 2019 - 16:16

Captain

• -Players-
  • 47282 battles
  • [ZEUS] ZEUS
Participation trophy for everyone. 

WhineMaker #27 Posted Apr 25 2019 - 16:23

Major

• Players
  • 38306 battles
  • [WHAAA] WHAAA

View Postcantgobacknow, on Apr 24 2019 - 14:13, said:

As a professional UX designer and senior computer programmer I think their choice of interfaces is poor. What are your qualifications again?

And where are the links to your successful and profitable games? :P

If you're such a great programmer, as you claim, you wouldn't be playing WG's game, you would be playing your own games... :facepalm:

Anublister #28 Posted Apr 25 2019 - 21:20

Captain

• Players
  • 68703 battles
  • [--T--] --T--

View PostI_QQ_4_U, on Apr 22 2019 - 06:04, said:

As far as SBMM goes it wouldn't make the games any better for bad players because it would never be matched by all players on both teams having the same skill level, that just couldn't work. All it would do is even out the teams so that they would rely on the better players to carry them for wins more.

You don't understand the main idea of sbmm. You balance teams by allocating the same number of unskilled players to both teams relatively equally. Then if you are a tomato your goal is to beat your matched tomato on the other team, not carry. Let the unicum or green player on your team beat his equally matched opponent.

I'll make it easy for you. Take two random groups of kids. Then have one kid on each side start picking who he wants on his team alternating until you're done. Assuming they always pick the best skilled kid from the start the teams will be much more evenly matched and the competition will be more enjoyable and appreciated by all. Even the low skilled players can make a contribution. Now take WG version of Random battles. You balance only according to tank type and tier, ignoring skill which has a huge affect on the outcome because skill = view range, DPM, camo, map awareness, etc. 

So tell me again how it will never work when the idea is quite simple. Tell me why we can't even TRY IT?

Anublister #29 Posted Apr 25 2019 - 21:26

Captain

• Players
  • 68703 battles
  • [--T--] --T--

View Post_Tsavo_, on Apr 25 2019 - 11:25, said:

Skill-based MM would be butts.   Everyone gets themselves a 50% win rate, woo-hoo! 

Yes, because you shouldn't measure your skill by your wr. You, the one out of 15 on a team. I tell you what, if you can kill an entire team of 15 enemy all by yourself, then I'll give you some credit. But the whole idea of wr equating skill is bs. You aren't on an equal playing field in regards to equipment, crew training, knowledge of tanks, or tank selection. You take that knowledge and exploit it to gain an upper edge, you play in platoons and in strongholds, and in clan wars to boost that wr. no?

If you feel proud by beating a majority of players who aren't as skilled as you I suggest you go challenge some Elementary school children to pick up basketball. I'm sure you'll be thrilled.

NightmareMk9 #30 Posted Apr 26 2019 - 02:24

Major

• Players
  • 35261 battles
  • [ZOUTH] ZOUTH

View PostAnublister, on Apr 25 2019 - 21:26, said:

Yes, because you shouldn't measure your skill by your wr. You, the one out of 15 on a team. I tell you what, if you can kill an entire team of 15 enemy all by yourself, then I'll give you some credit. But the whole idea of wr equating skill is bs. You aren't on an equal playing field in regards to equipment, crew training, knowledge of tanks, or tank selection. You take that knowledge and exploit it to gain an upper edge, you play in platoons and in strongholds, and in clan wars to boost that wr. no?

If you feel proud by beating a majority of players who aren't as skilled as you I suggest you go challenge some Elementary school children to pick up basketball. I'm sure you'll be thrilled.

NOT this again...

Why is it that the baddies try so hard to say they are NOT bad?  If they spent more time trying to learn how to play, maybe they wouldn't be so bad ???

SporkBoy #31 Posted Apr 26 2019 - 03:31

Major

• Players
  • 48313 battles
  • [PZB] PZB
Mission interface is clunky but not that complicated.

Skill balanced (not skill based) MM still needs some effort - in principle is seems obvious but the details really need attention. It could be workable but don't expect miracles - there is only so much one can do with the questionable player base.

Moridin_707 #32 Posted Apr 26 2019 - 04:13

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 19975 battles
I feel like you could have improved your skills if you played instead of whining on the forum :|

I_QQ_4_U #33 Posted Apr 26 2019 - 04:52

Major

• -Players-
  • 22892 battles

View PostAnublister, on Apr 25 2019 - 21:20, said:

You don't understand the main idea of sbmm.

I understand it perfectly. A SBMM that matched equally 'skilled' players in a pool would never work and that is exactly what he said.

24cups #34 Posted Apr 26 2019 - 16:28

Major

• Players
  • 24500 battles
  • [D-DAY] D-DAY

View PostAnublister, on Apr 25 2019 - 15:26, said:

You take that knowledge and exploit it to gain an upper edge, you play in platoons and in strongholds, and in clan wars to boost that wr. no?

Except that Strongholds and ClanWars results are not included in your WR.

Learn before you sling. 

Anublister #35 Posted Apr 26 2019 - 16:55

Captain

• Players
  • 68703 battles
  • [--T--] --T--

View PostNightmareMk9, on Apr 26 2019 - 01:24, said:

NOT this again...

Why is it that the baddies try so hard to say they are NOT bad?  If they spent more time trying to learn how to play, maybe they wouldn't be so bad ???

What an arrogant, mean, and selfish thing to say. Are you suggesting that this game is not open to handicapped players, veterans with disabilities, or downs kids? Some "baddies" can't get better. Perhaps you would volunteer to help them play better instead of pontificating how superior gamers are the only ones who should benefit from playing this game. Take a long hard look at yourself in the mirror. You are pretty pathetic.

I_QQ_4_U #36 Posted Apr 26 2019 - 17:18

Major

• -Players-
  • 22892 battles

View PostAnublister, on Apr 26 2019 - 16:55, said:

What an arrogant, mean, and selfish thing to say. Are you suggesting that this game is not open to handicapped players, veterans with disabilities, or downs kids? Some "baddies" can't get better. Perhaps you would volunteer to help them play better instead of pontificating how superior gamers are the only ones who should benefit from playing this game. Take a long hard look at yourself in the mirror. You are pretty pathetic.

And what does that have to do with it? He's talking about bad players who want to blame everything but themselves for being bad. If I had no arms or legs, had parkinsons and played with my tongue I'm not going to come here and cry about how bad the game is because I suck at it.

Tao_Te_Tomato #37 Posted Apr 26 2019 - 17:20

Major

• -Players-
  • 27552 battles
  • [TER] TER

View PostI_QQ_4_U, on Apr 26 2019 - 17:18, said:

And what does that have to do with it? He's talking about bad players who want to blame everything but themselves for being bad. If I had no arms or legs, had parkinsons and played with my tongue I'm not going to come here and cry about how bad the game is because I suck at it.

Seems more like you'd have it licked......  :hiding:

NeatoMan #38 Posted Apr 26 2019 - 17:21

Major

• Players
  • 28180 battles

View Postcantgobacknow, on Apr 22 2019 - 01:58, said:

Skill based matchmaking doesn't mean someone above your WN8 rating can't be in your battle, it would just help getting teams which are more even.

Winning 15-1, or losing 1-15, just is not fun. I prefer matches where the teams are roughly even.

Balancing teams won't fix that, or keep terrible players from getting chewed to pieces by the better players in battle. 

NeatoMan #39 Posted Apr 26 2019 - 17:24

Major

• Players
  • 28180 battles

View PostAnublister, on Apr 25 2019 - 15:26, said:

Yes, because you shouldn't measure your skill by your wr. You, the one out of 15 on a team. I tell you what, if you can kill an entire team of 15 enemy all by yourself, then I'll give you some credit. But the whole idea of wr equating skill is bs.

That's how bad players view things.  They are incapable of recognizing that win rate is a long term stat.  It measures consistency over a large number of games.  Bad players can only see as far as the next tank they run into, and therefore view everything through that lense.

Flarvin #40 Posted Apr 26 2019 - 17:26

Major

• Players
  • 54584 battles

View PostSporkBoy, on Apr 25 2019 - 21:31, said:

Skill balanced (not skill based) MM still needs some effort - 

If the MM balances teams by skill, then the MM is skill based. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users