Is painting or camouflaging the exterior of your tank worth the gold? Also if you only had 600 gold ...

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

Who__invader #1 Posted Apr 22 2019 - 13:30

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 57 battles
Question 1 just to put paint on the vehicle does that give you is much camouflage points in the game mechanics as putting camouflage on it. Another thing when it comes to game mechanics is spending 50 gold on camo actually 50 gold on just one party or tank cuz you have to do the hall and turret separately. Let's say for example you have only 600 gold left is it worth spending that money on camo? I have a ton of camouflage nets and I've been told that they actually don't boost your camouflage that much depending on what tank you're using it's more about how you position your tank so if I wanted to go and take the top five tanks I play and paint them all for winter and summer that would be 300 gold a tank so that would be theoretically in my mind 1500 gold I have 600 gold left I'm wondering what I should spend it on. I don't really know when I'm going to be able to re-up on some so I don't want to waste it what would you guys do with 600 gold if that's all you have?

VooDooKobra #2 Posted Apr 22 2019 - 13:36

Major

• Players
  • 9998 battles
  • [MOVE] MOVE

View PostWho__invader, on Apr 22 2019 - 05:30, said:

Question 1 just to put paint on the vehicle does that give you is much camouflage points in the game mechanics as putting camouflage on it. Another thing when it comes to game mechanics is spending 50 gold on camo actually 50 gold on just one party or tank cuz you have to do the hall and turret separately. Let's say for example you have only 600 gold left is it worth spending that money on camo? I have a ton of camouflage nets and I've been told that they actually don't boost your camouflage that much depending on what tank you're using it's more about how you position your tank so if I wanted to go and take the top five tanks I play and paint them all for winter and summer that would be 300 gold a tank so that would be theoretically in my mind 1500 gold I have 600 gold left I'm wondering what I should spend it on. I don't really know when I'm going to be able to re-up on some so I don't want to waste it what would you guys do with 600 gold if that's all you have?

- its 50 gold per part, but you can remove that camo later and move it to another vehicle of that nationality

- all you need is the hull really done up to get the bonus but some people do the entire tank for looks

- camo nets do boost your camo rating but only when still and after a small amount of time so it is better on say sniping TDs and arty

PTwr #3 Posted Apr 22 2019 - 13:43

Major

• Players
  • 45482 battles
  • [BITSA] BITSA
With 600g I would use rental camo and save gold for equipment removal. 

PopPop_AppleDaD6 #4 Posted Apr 22 2019 - 14:00

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 45056 battles
  • [ALERT] ALERT
Paint does not give you camo value. Like VooDoo said, you only need to camo the hull for camo points.

Edited by AppleDaD6, Apr 22 2019 - 14:03.

ClydeCooper421 #5 Posted Apr 22 2019 - 14:20

Major

• -Players-
  • 14763 battles
  • [LOAD] LOAD
You get camos from doing various events that WG has. I'd save the gold for equipment removal. 

dunniteowl #6 Posted Apr 22 2019 - 14:53

Major

• -Players-
  • 31363 battles

View PostWho__invader, on Apr 22 2019 - 06:30, said:

I don't buy skins for gold.  I just don't.

I buy the camo setups for credits.  75K for 100 matches.  I look at it as an additional credits expense that provides me that much more concealment.  That concealment, in return, provides me better survival rating by being harder to spot that allows me to do more damage in the longer haul.

Does it 'pay me back?'  I cannot say yes or no to that.  I believe it's a worthwhile expense over the longer haul, as I know I am going to be earning credits (we already had that discussion re: me managing to gain 2 million credits in a week without premium time or boosters being used) and my Gold Income potential is quite limited.

You can buy camo for gold and it IS removable so that you can swap it from tank to tank.  Meh.  Seems like extra effort and I suppose in the long run it's a trade-off of effort and gold for a forever camo skin that can be moved, versus being able to slap down 75K silver and get all three seasons for a 100 matches on a tank and not pay any more attention to it.  It's obviously a judgment call.

You can cover the turret and barrel IF you wish, although that is Purely Cosmetic and has NO EFFECT on your concealment value.  Guess what I don't use camo to cover?  :)

Now.  As to WHAT you 'should' spend your gold on.  I ONLY use gold to Retrain a crew (to reset skills that I picked incorrectly as a newbie that could use a better set of picks for my crews), demount complex equipment and to buy garage slots.

I currently have 26 Garage slots sitting empty that I purchased and won over time.  I only purchased Garage Slots when they were on sale -- like last week, I bought 5 more slots, bringing me up to 26.  The last time I bought Garage Slots, they were also on sale and then I purchased 10 of them.  I had 4 of those left and then I won all the others (that means I won 17 garage slots out of the 26 I now have available) during the Kursk Event last year, the WG 20th Anniversary, the Hallowe'en event, Tanksgiving, the 2019 Holiday Event and whatever I managed in playing and getting them in Missions and Awards.

If you are not going to Buy Gold for cash, I would recommend you NOT spend the gold so you can demount equipment and bite the bullet on Crew retraining for a while.  Gold is my Precioussss, yessss, precious!  I currently have 10,800 gold in my account -- again it was gold I managed to acquire during Holiday Events and, quite honestly, through the kindness of some of my Fellow Gamers who saw fit to proffer it to me as a gift.

Being Nice and Helpful over time has paid off, though it was never my intent to have that occur.  I am totally appreciative of ANYTHING I get for free.  The stuff that was Gifted to me by Fellow Gamers is MORE appreciated than anything I have won or been awarded by WG.  My Fellow Gamers do it on a personal level and that means a LOT to me.  It's nice to know that this community is that cool.

DO NOT BE IN A HURRY TO PART WITH GOLD!!!!

This comes from a Free To Play Pubbie who has yet to spend a penny of real currency on this game.  Be wise with your expenditures.  Take time to consider how important what you can spend gold on versus credits is and learn to mentally default to credits wherever possible -- always.  Use your Gold for things you cannot 'fix' with credits (retraining comes to mind, though you can go with the credits route (and I have)) that have lasting value.

When looked at like that, is buying camo skins a worthwhile expenditure of gold?

Again, that's a judgment call, though one you can spend credits to correct while you mull it over.  You can always spend the gold later when you decide.  In the meantime, check your credits and use those for whatever possible.  That's my advice.

Caveat: I am a cheap bastid, so, take that into account.

GL, HF & HSYBF!
OvO

NutrientibusMeaGallus #7 Posted Apr 22 2019 - 14:53

Major

• Players
  • 22674 battles
  • [FILOX] FILOX
600 gold is the perfect amount for 4 garage slots when they're on sale.

Who__invader #8 Posted Apr 22 2019 - 15:23

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 57 battles

Ok good answers from everybody but this is what I really want to know is what are the game mechanics how extra concealment does camouflage (not camouflage net) but the painted on camouflage give you? A couple meters a couple seconds and spotting time how does it work?

Smooky_Le_chien_husky #9 Posted Apr 22 2019 - 15:32

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 24685 battles
  • [LMFR] LMFR

View PostWho__invader, on Apr 22 2019 - 12:30, said:

me i only keep or i keep for change équipement for tank part change for 10 gold 

dunniteowl #10 Posted Apr 22 2019 - 16:49

Major

• -Players-
  • 31363 battles

View PostWho__invader, on Apr 22 2019 - 08:23, said:

Ok good answers from everybody but this is what I really want to know is what are the game mechanics how extra concealment does camouflage (not camouflage net) but the painted on camouflage give you? A couple meters a couple seconds and spotting time how does it work?

Read Up on This:  Battle Mechanics: Vision and Camouflage

Calculating the Camouflage Factor

The camouflage factor is calculated as follows:

camoFactor = baseCamo * (0.00375 * camoSkill + 0.5) * camoAtShot + camoPattern + camoNet + environmentCamo

The camoFactor cannot exceed a value of 1, so if the equation results in a higher value camoFactor is set to 1.

The above calculation is in there, I provide it so you can use it yourself on which ever tank and skin you want to check out.  If you hover over the camo pattern with a tank selected to apply it, it will tell you what its concealment factor is.  This is the 'camoPattern' part of the calculation.

The simple answer is: ANYTHING that provides you a continuous and active bonus to concealment is good.  As an analogy, foot races are decided from 1st to 3rd place by microseconds in some cases.  Anything that makes you less visible to another Red Team unit -- even for another half second -- is that much more time you have to aim and fire.

Concealment is really only a factor within the Spotting Range Circle (the white one).  If you do not have your VR circle (that's YOUR actual VR, a green circle) and your Max Spotting Range circle (the white circle set to 445m) and Max Draw Distance (orange circle at 556m), then go into your Client Settings when you are logged in.  Client Interface is reached by hitting ESC key.  Go to SETTINGS.  In Settings in the GENERAL section (the default page that shows up) on the Right Hand Next to Bottom section are the View Range Indicators where you can select this to show or not.  You should select them to show.

The White circle is where your concealment becomes important.  If someone is spotted in that area, you are now at risk of yourself also being spotted.  This is when your concealment factor in the calculation above becomes important.

What happens when we are talking Vision/Spotting versus Concealment?  Your concealment rating provides you 'resistance' to being spotted within the Max View Range circle.  In your Garage, select your tank in question and look at the factors/graphics on the right hand side of the screen.  They provide details of your tank.  Scroll down to Concealment and click on it.  It will show you two small sectors.

Concealment of Stationary Vehicle (for Hidden and for Firing)

Concealment of Moving Vehicle (for Moving and Moving/Firing)

If you hover over either of these, you will get an Applet Window that details all the factors that go into those numbers for your tank.

Those bits of information can be compared to a unit that has no camoPattern applied.  If you do not have a Camo Pattern applied, those numbers will still be there, though they will be greyed out as they do not apply to your unit.

This information is BEST when self examined over someone like me trying to explain every jot and tittle of how it works.  The more YOU know about what goes into making you harder to spot, the better off you are.  The harder to spot you are, the better off you are, period.

In the end, ANYTHING that makes you harder to spot is, in my view, ALWAYS worth having it.  You want to win that 'foot race,' don't you?

GL, HF & HSYBF!
OvO

Edited by dunniteowl, Apr 22 2019 - 16:52.

the_Deadly_Bulb #11 Posted Apr 22 2019 - 17:56

Major

• Players
  • 27591 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

View PostWho__invader, on Apr 22 2019 - 06:23, said:

Camo paint provides 3% greater concealment.

If your vehicle had a camo rating that would allow you to get 100 m from an opponent before being seen and then you camo paint it you will now be able to get 97 m away before you're seen.

Camo is more useful for some vehicle types than others, for example applying camo paint (or a camo net) to a Heavy is a waste of resources, while its beneficial for a LT and many TDs.

Edited by the_Deadly_Bulb, Apr 22 2019 - 17:57.

palmeroj #12 Posted Jun 11 2019 - 22:31

Private

• -Players-
  • 1 battle

I've read on this forum only tier 5 vehicles and above can get camo. But, I've seen some tier 3 with camo paint. In my garage I see nothing where I could add camo. How's that done?

Thanks.

dunniteowl #13 Posted Jun 11 2019 - 23:00

Major

• -Players-
  • 31363 battles

In your garage view, select a tank.  Now, that silver button that says "EXTERIOR" click that.  It will then open up the window for camo, paint, emblems and inscriptions.

If you wish to pay gold for your camo, then you can select the Nations camo patterns via Preset Styles and Custom Styles.  Preset Styles include the standard camo patterns for that nation's tanks.  You can choose Winter, Summer and Desert patterns.

All Tiers can have camo added onto them.  From tier I up to tier X.  No restrictions, other than you have to pay for it, either via gold for Preset/Custom styles, either permanent or Rental camo can be purchased, though rental camo is always going to be credits only.

[edit]

Oh yeah, you don't need to camo the hull, turret and gun for the concealment value.  If you don't care how it looks, all you require for concealment value, all you have to do is add camo to the HULL/Chassis of the tank.  Barrels and turrets do not require camo for concealment, so adding camo to them is purely up to you.

[/edit]

Hope that's helpful.

OvO

Edited by dunniteowl, Jun 11 2019 - 23:03.

VariaVespasa #14 Posted Jun 12 2019 - 10:08

Major

• Players
  • 76079 battles
  • [-_W_-] -_W_-
I'll second what Nutrient said- wait for a sale on garage slots (which are sadly becoming rarer I think, but not yet extinct) and buy 4 garage slots.  Everything else you can earn in-game with credits, but garage slots (mostly) have to be bought with gold, a few events/mission chains aside.

Roggg2 #15 Posted Jun 12 2019 - 18:49

Major

• -Players-
  • 21963 battles
  • [D-DAY] D-DAY

600 gold I would reserve for de-mounting equipment when moving up the tank lines.  IMO it's the most important use of small quantities of gold.  

I have only ever bought camo for gold on premium tanks and tier 10s.  Basically anything that I know I will have forever.  Everything else is either free reward camos, or 75k/100 battles for the national preset style.

Necrophore #16 Posted Jun 12 2019 - 19:40

Major

• Players
  • 30917 battles
  • [GZRS] GZRS

First, only buy camo when it's on sale, and use a mod to swap camo between tanks so you only need one set. It's less than a buck a country to camo the entire garage. (Buck and a half to buy the Spider set when it's on sale.)

I camo everything because I want everything in the garage to look pretty and I'm going to make the enemy work for their view range. Besides, some tanks just look better in flames and pinstripes. :girl:

MiddleAgedNoob #17 Posted Jun 12 2019 - 20:23

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 18136 battles
  • [MARV] MARV

View PostVariaVespasa, on Jun 12 2019 - 04:08, said:

I'll second what Nutrient said- wait for a sale on garage slots (which are sadly becoming rarer I think, but not yet extinct) and buy 4 garage slots.  Everything else you can earn in-game with credits, but garage slots (mostly) have to be bought with gold, a few events/mission chains aside.

The current Tank Rewards missions give you a garage slot as part of the Tier II reward, and the premiums at Tier IV also each come with a garage slot.  Usually if you earn a tank through a reward, or buy it, it comes with a garage slot to put it in.  Not sure, with Tank Rewards, if you choose a tank that you already have for a Tier IV reward, whether you will get the garage slot anyway.  It works that way if you buy a duplicate tank, but not sure in the case of Tank Rewards.

GLHF

BUNNYHUGGERI #18 Posted Jun 12 2019 - 21:36

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 58448 battles
  • [HARM] HARM

WELCOME to light tank madness....with that said let me show you the BEST video on the internet.  This guys is so cdo (then they are in alphabetical order like they are supposed to be) guy I have ever seen.  I am in love with him.

Watch this video...you will learn more in the few minutes it takes to watch than I have learned in the first two years of playing.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=4tankers+and+dog+science+in+tanking&&view=detail&mid=852AACA0460E56573AC7852AACA0460E56573AC7&&FORM=VDRVRV

An absolute MUST to watch when it comes to camo and spotting and the mechanics.  I am not sure why wargaming made a video of their own.  It PALES in comparison to this one.

Thank you for you consideration.

MiddleAgedNoob #19 Posted Jun 13 2019 - 17:51

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 18136 battles
  • [MARV] MARV

View PostVariaVespasa, on Jun 12 2019 - 04:08, said:

Garage slots are on sale in the premium shop right now, 49% off.  You might have to be logged in to see it.  https://na.wargaming...specials/4516/  This is for real money, not gold.

Edited by MiddleAgedNoob, Jun 13 2019 - 17:51.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users