Hotchkiss EBR / Lynx 6x6... (If you can't beat em, join em)

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

BlackFive #1 Posted Apr 22 2019 - 17:48

Major

• Players
  • 34661 battles
  • [_E_] _E_

Running the Hotchkiss, currently have Wheels and Second Engine.  About to unlock Top Engine.  Running stock cannon.  Goal is to fast-grind the Lynx for another FL wheelie (yeah, I know).

Stock cannon belts out little nibbles of damage pretty fast, and is proving fairly effective against scouts and soft targets...   So, with the goal of unlocking the Lynx (so I have a FL Wheelie to play) - is it worth adding 20% to the grind to unlock the guns?  i.e. will unlocking the guns pay off by making the rest of the grind faster / more profitable, or is this thing really best suited to just spazzing around a lighting stuff for others?

F1O1 #2 Posted Apr 22 2019 - 17:56

Captain

• Players
  • 60 battles
  • [SAMUS] SAMUS

The 75mm from AMD17 that is stock, doesn't give DPM.  lt only provides 9 DPM more, that is hardly a touch more.  The top 75mm however provides notable strike damage increase, 170 up from 110, and importantly the HE 260 up from 175. Less aim-time, has less turret rotation dispersion, and blooms less after every shot. Not to mention 200+ m/s velocity increase. The gun is worth it, for the mere cost of the 9 DPM advantage stock gun gets. 

someguy124 #3 Posted Apr 22 2019 - 18:00

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 32220 battles
  • [Y0L0] Y0L0

The 90mm is extremely strong in frontlines due to the 90 penetration on its HE rounds. It absolutely destroys the majority of players which will run lights, mediums and other wheelies.

Plus if you plan on playing the tank in frontlines, the grind really doesn't feel to long (especially if you can consistently reach the higher ranks).

BlackFive #4 Posted Apr 22 2019 - 18:22

Major

• Players
  • 34661 battles
  • [_E_] _E_

Whoops - Sorry, I'm still grinding the Hotchkiss; so the question is about Hotchkiss guns (I will probably elite the Lynx to make it effective).

Question is: whether grinding out the guns on the Hotchkiss is worth the effort (20% of the grind cost of next tank), or just bypass for the Lynx?

And I recognize I said DPM - when I meant ROF.  ROF of Hotchkiss stock gun is 14

View Postsomeguy124, on Apr 22 2019 - 18:00, said:

The 90mm is extremely strong in frontlines due to the 90 penetration on its HE rounds. It absolutely destroys the majority of players which will run lights, mediums and other wheelies.

Plus if you plan on playing the tank in frontlines, the grind really doesn't feel to long (especially if you can consistently reach the higher ranks).

View PostF1O1, on Apr 22 2019 - 17:56, said:

The 75mm from AMD17 that is stock, doesn't give DPM.  lt only provides 9 DPM more, that is hardly a touch more.  The top 75mm however provides notable strike damage increase, 170 up from 110, and importantly the HE 260 up from 175. Less aim-time, has less turret rotation dispersion, and blooms less after every shot. Not to mention 200+ m/s velocity increase. The gun is worth it, for the mere cost of the 9 DPM advantage stock gun gets.

DomoSapien #5 Posted Apr 22 2019 - 19:06

Community Coordinator

• Administrator
  • 14694 battles
  • [WGA] WGA

View PostBlackFive, on Apr 22 2019 - 11:22, said:

Whoops - Sorry, I'm still grinding the Hotchkiss; so the question is about Hotchkiss guns (I will probably elite the Lynx to make it effective).

Question is: whether grinding out the guns on the Hotchkiss is worth the effort (20% of the grind cost of next tank), or just bypass for the Lynx?

And I recognize I said DPM - when I meant ROF.  ROF of Hotchkiss stock gun is 14

Moreso replying to the block quotes in your comment but: from my experience all the gun upgrades are worth getting on the Wheelie Bois; even those that give you a seemingly marginal dispersion or penetration increase. On paper they seem underwhelming but absolutely anything you can do to increase your accuracy on the move is worth getting in the French Wheelie line. 

PTwr #6 Posted Apr 22 2019 - 19:18

Major

• Players
  • 44722 battles
  • [BITSA] BITSA

In order: top gun, mid gun, stock gun:

At cost of 17% more XP over Lynx research cost you get:

30% higher penetration.

Higher effective HE damage. Pen is same but armor reduces by flat amount, so higher alpha means more go through.

Higher alpha = less exposure when peeking and higher damage during drive-by.

I'd say it should give you at least 10%, more probably some 20%-30%, more xp per battle. If you will get guns before engines, you should gain even more. Additionally you can speed it up with 7x10k xp from Swedish stinky fish missions.

Edited by PTwr, Apr 22 2019 - 19:19.

StoneTitan #7 Posted Apr 23 2019 - 02:55

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 3990 battles
That's what I said about my T18, but they removed it from the game anyway.:(

Jryder #8 Posted Apr 23 2019 - 07:00

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 13910 battles

Can't stop rapists either, so we should all become one?

Solid thinking their, Einstein.

Will be interesting to see of FL even makes to week 10, given the steaming pile wheelies are making it into.

ThePigSheFlies #9 Posted Apr 23 2019 - 13:30

Major

• Players
  • 71783 battles
  • [SIMP] SIMP
redacted.  zero point in conversing with the delusional

Edited by ThePigSheFlies, Apr 23 2019 - 13:32.

BlackFive #10 Posted Apr 23 2019 - 15:29

Major

• Players
  • 34661 battles
  • [_E_] _E_

View PostThePigSheFlies, on Apr 23 2019 - 13:30, said:

redacted.  zero point in conversing with the delusional

....bu-bu-but this is the WOT forums - where the delusional conspiracy theorists reign! 

Trauglodyte #11 Posted Apr 23 2019 - 17:24

Major

• -Players-
  • 21701 battles
  • [GSH] GSH

View PostBlackFive, on Apr 22 2019 - 17:48, said:

Running the Hotchkiss, currently have Wheels and Second Engine.  About to unlock Top Engine.  Running stock cannon.  Goal is to fast-grind the Lynx for another FL wheelie (yeah, I know).

Stock cannon belts out little nibbles of damage pretty fast, and is proving fairly effective against scouts and soft targets...   So, with the goal of unlocking the Lynx (so I have a FL Wheelie to play) - is it worth adding 20% to the grind to unlock the guns?  i.e. will unlocking the guns pay off by making the rest of the grind faster / more profitable, or is this thing really best suited to just spazzing around a lighting stuff for others?

Let me answer this in a very pragmatic way:  At any point, in the future, do you see yourself playing the Hotchkiss EBR?

I ask this question because neither of the 75 mms, on the Hitchkiss, are on the Lynx.  As PTwr showed, above, the difference between the two 75s, on the Hotckiss, is Pen (16 mm), DPM (48), Aim Time (0.2s), Dispersion (0.01), and Shell Velocity (80 m/s).  Can you stomach playing the mid-75 mm, knowing that you're saving grind time, to get to the Lynx faster AND not wanting to play the Hotchkiss, after the fact?  If the answer to that is a "yes", then skip it.  If you think that you might play it later, it could still be a "yes" but then that poses the question of whether you're ok with spending some time being slightly mediocre with the lesser 75 mm.

One other aspect, to add to this question, is the impact of the new MM.  Given that we've all but abandoned the 3 tier spread, how game breaking is the lesser 75 mm to you, both in the grind and in future play?  The pen difference, on the APCR of both 75 mms is a whopping 8 mm.

My opinion is to skip it and get to the beautiful beast that is the Lynx 6x6.  I said it, back during test, that I felt it was the best Armored Car, of the bunch.  It is stiff enough to make driving feel comfortable, to me, and it was deadly.  With the new MM, I'd actually argue that it is better than the EBR 90, since tier 8 is the new tier 5.  So, get there and go nuts!

View PostJryder, on Apr 23 2019 - 07:00, said:

Can't stop rapists either, so we should all become one?

Solid thinking their, Einstein.

Will be interesting to see of FL even makes to week 10, given the steaming pile wheelies are making it into.

This is just dumb.  Somewhere in the world, a tree exists with the sole purpose of replacing the oxygen that you just wasted.  Find it and it apologize!

Edited by Trauglodyte, Apr 23 2019 - 17:27.

BlackFive #12 Posted Apr 23 2019 - 19:21

Major

• Players
  • 34661 battles
  • [_E_] _E_

Gonna steal this:

Block Quote

Somewhere in the world, a tree exists with the sole purpose of replacing the oxygen that you just wasted.  Find it and it apologize!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users