Fish Keeping

Fish Aquarium Fish Tank Aquascaping Freshwater Off Topic

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

xXTheGameAceXx #1 Posted Apr 23 2019 - 05:08

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 11473 battles

Previously had started an old thread sometime last year on the topic of fish-keeping, and it eventually died off as no one kept up with it and I fell off on it. So I figured why not go ahead and give it another go with a fresh thread since it's been quite some time and I'm making quite a few advances. Actually even thinking of trying to do a YouTube channel and videos on the topic for some practice~

Would love to hear from other fish-keepers in this thread, and will try to keep up with various updates here. Hope some people get a bit of enjoyment out of this :)

(By the way, would love to know the maximum file size for images and ways to downsize them. Having to go through Imgur because direct file upload considers my pictures too large.)

First picture is the left side of my 55 gallon. Still needs the remaining green spot algae scraped and Co2 installed, but in the meantime I just planted a bunch of new stuff that I just got in today. Will be installing Co2 tomorrow and removing the old gravel from the right side so that I can finish some of the refurb and planting. Then once that's done, time to dose ferts and let everything grow.

Second picture is one of 3 baby Cherry Barbs! Apparently my barbs laid eggs sometime recently and they're now little babies! Will keep up with updates as they grow!

Edited by xXTheGameAceXx, Apr 23 2019 - 05:12.

F4U_wingman #2 Posted Apr 23 2019 - 05:14

Captain

• Players
  • 87743 battles
  • [T-GBU] T-GBU
Salt water fish are so much better than fresh water.... IMO... I've had both.

xXTheGameAceXx #3 Posted Apr 23 2019 - 05:21

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 11473 battles

View PostF4U_wingman, on Apr 22 2019 - 23:14, said:

I used to think the same thing for a long time because I only knew about the common pet-store variety fish. Once I learned about all the plants and different unique species of fish though, I changed my mind :P

Saltwater is still neat however. Just can't find upside-down catfish there ;)

stalkervision #4 Posted Apr 23 2019 - 05:58

Major

• Players
  • 69493 battles
Catfish are the best fish ! Very smart ! 

KaiserWilhelmShatner #5 Posted Apr 23 2019 - 07:07

Major

• Players
  • 16773 battles
  • [PSYCO] PSYCO
I only have 2 tanks set up right now; 75g and 37g.  The 37g is planted with pygmy chain sword, jungle val, anubias nana, and duckweed to dim the light a bit. Fish are 5 Von Rio Flame Tetras, 15 black neons and 2 clown plecos.  The 75g which looks like crap; some dwalf lillys that neither have died off or taken off, tiger lotus, water onion, 3 swords, and 3 plants that I have no idea what they are. Fish are 8 angelfish with 3 breeding pairs.  (turns out the lilys doing bad was the heater was running near 80F somehow.

PTwr #6 Posted Apr 23 2019 - 08:22

Major

• Players
  • 45522 battles
  • [BITSA] BITSA

Fairy space fish is best (not) fish! Someday I'll get them. 

bigbear72us #7 Posted Apr 23 2019 - 12:09

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 46762 battles
  • [T-GBU] T-GBU
Opened the thread thinking that it was about catch and release versus keeping the fish you catch.

heavymetal1967 #8 Posted Apr 23 2019 - 12:28

Major

• Players
  • 73208 battles
  • [HSOLO] HSOLO

Son__Of__Anarchy #9 Posted Apr 23 2019 - 14:08

Major

• -Players-
  • 29056 battles

i keep my fish as dead as it gets...

tod914 #10 Posted Apr 23 2019 - 15:09

Major

• Players
  • 64926 battles
Spoiler

xXTheGameAceXx #11 Posted Apr 23 2019 - 15:41

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 11473 battles

View PostKaiserWilhelmShatner, on Apr 23 2019 - 01:07, said:

I only have 2 tanks set up right now; 75g and 37g.  The 37g is planted with pygmy chain sword, jungle val, anubias nana, and duckweed to dim the light a bit. Fish are 5 Von Rio Flame Tetras, 15 black neons and 2 clown plecos.  The 75g which looks like crap; some dwalf lillys that neither have died off or taken off, tiger lotus, water onion, 3 swords, and 3 plants that I have no idea what they are. Fish are 8 angelfish with 3 breeding pairs.  (turns out the lilys doing bad was the heater was running near 80F somehow.

Should add some pictures here at some point if you get a chance~

Heard of black neons before, but I've never actually seen them myself. How are clown plecs btw? I almost got one instead of a group of otocinclus when I set up my 125, but never did because of paranoia from an old common plec committing a massacre.

I have some Jungle Val in both of my tanks, but it just refuses to grow much, and I have no idea why. Best guess is the water hardness is too low, although I don't quite get that since it grows in the wild here without a problem. Just got a tiger lotus in yesterday, so I'm excited to see how that turns out. My swords were under very poor lighting and conditions for quite some time and have just started to regrow; Had to pull a lot of the leaves off yesterday that were dead or dying off.

KaiserWilhelmShatner #12 Posted Apr 26 2019 - 07:00

Major

• Players
  • 16773 battles
  • [PSYCO] PSYCO

View PostxXTheGameAceXx, on Apr 23 2019 - 06:41, said:

Should add some pictures here at some point if you get a chance~

Heard of black neons before, but I've never actually seen them myself. How are clown plecs btw? I almost got one instead of a group of otocinclus when I set up my 125, but never did because of paranoia from an old common plec committing a massacre.

I have some Jungle Val in both of my tanks, but it just refuses to grow much, and I have no idea why. Best guess is the water hardness is too low, although I don't quite get that since it grows in the wild here without a problem. Just got a tiger lotus in yesterday, so I'm excited to see how that turns out. My swords were under very poor lighting and conditions for quite some time and have just started to regrow; Had to pull a lot of the leaves off yesterday that were dead or dying off.

Black Neons are nice and hardy.  They are not as colorful as standard Neons but they grow double the size so that you can put them in with Angelfish and not have to worry about them disappearing at night.

Clown plecos are nice little dwarf plecos that you rarely see.  They are pretty hardy and need places for them to hide in.  To be honest, I rarely see them unless I move something during a cleaning or the lights just came on.

xXTheGameAceXx #13 Posted Apr 27 2019 - 22:17

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 11473 battles

View PostKaiserWilhelmShatner, on Apr 26 2019 - 01:00, said:

Black Neons are nice and hardy.  They are not as colorful as standard Neons but they grow double the size so that you can put them in with Angelfish and not have to worry about them disappearing at night.

Clown plecos are nice little dwarf plecos that you rarely see.  They are pretty hardy and need places for them to hide in.  To be honest, I rarely see them unless I move something during a cleaning or the lights just came on.

Sounds good, I'll keep Black Neons in mind for a future setup! Will keep the Clown Plecs in mind too for later on, although there's also a lot of other algae eaters & scavengers high on my list as well. Would love to get a butterfly loach doing well in my 55 sometime upcoming. Would you say the Clown Plecos get bigger, smaller, or about the same size as Albino Bristlenoses?

tod914 #14 Posted Apr 28 2019 - 02:01

Major

• Players
  • 64926 battles

View PostPTwr, on Apr 23 2019 - 02:22, said:

Fairy space fish is best (not) fish! Someday I'll get them. 

Was trying figure out what type of salamander that was.  Looks pretty cool.

Spoiler

When you get a bigger tank, maybe try these.

Spoiler

Edited by tod914, Apr 28 2019 - 02:07.

xXTheGameAceXx #15 Posted May 09 2019 - 20:35

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 11473 battles
Will be updating this post in the next few days with changes. Got Co2 set up recently and scraped the remainder of the Green Spot Algae, and some of my Pogostemon Stellatus Octopus is now planted. Since I started the Co2 and adding some ferts in as well, the plants have absolutely taken off! Also heading out to a local shop tomorrow to see what they have and pick up a few new buddies! :)

TheManFromKekistan #16 Posted May 09 2019 - 21:19

Major

• -Players-
  • 28 battles

View PostF4U_wingman, on Apr 22 2019 - 23:14, said:

Colorful saltwater fish are easier and cheaper to find but there are plenty of species of neat looking fresh water fish. Plus having had both salt and fresh water tanks I can say with ease that fresh water tanks are infinitely easier to set up and maintain. 

xXTheGameAceXx #17 Posted May 09 2019 - 22:31

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 11473 battles

View PostTheManFromKekistan, on May 09 2019 - 15:19, said:

Colorful saltwater fish are easier and cheaper to find but there are plenty of species of neat looking fresh water fish. Plus having had both salt and fresh water tanks I can say with ease that fresh water tanks are infinitely easier to set up and maintain. 

Cheaper? Do you know of a discount fish place that sells cheap saltwaters? :P

TheManFromKekistan #18 Posted May 09 2019 - 22:56

Major

• -Players-
  • 28 battles

View PostxXTheGameAceXx, on May 09 2019 - 16:31, said:

Cheaper? Do you know of a discount fish place that sells cheap saltwaters? :P

I didn't say cheap I said cheaper. :P

Colorful saltwater fish are plentiful in nature but colorful freshwater fish are not and tend to be a bit more expensive and harder to find at least where I live but its out in the boonies and the small town doesn't exactly sustain a huge demand for exotic pets. However the two shops we do have have a reasonable selection and can get you pretty much anything you want for a price.

xXTheGameAceXx #19 Posted May 09 2019 - 23:01

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 11473 battles

View PostTheManFromKekistan, on May 09 2019 - 16:56, said:

I didn't say cheap I said cheaper. :P

Colorful saltwater fish are plentiful in nature but colorful freshwater fish are not and tend to be a bit more expensive and harder to find at least where I live but its out in the boonies and the small town doesn't exactly sustain a huge demand for exotic pets. However the two shops we do have have a reasonable selection and can get you pretty much anything you want for a price.

Ah that makes more sense! Because I was going to say, at least locally most of even the colorful fish aren't too bad in price, and saltwaters are far more expensive. Got a really nice place for Saltwater literally right down the street from me, and the prices are wild. Have you considered looking at places online for Freshwaters by the way?

TheManFromKekistan #20 Posted May 09 2019 - 23:11

Major

• -Players-
  • 28 battles

View PostxXTheGameAceXx, on May 09 2019 - 17:01, said:

Ah that makes more sense! Because I was going to say, at least locally most of even the colorful fish aren't too bad in price, and saltwaters are far more expensive. Got a really nice place for Saltwater literally right down the street from me, and the prices are wild. Have you considered looking at places online for Freshwaters by the way?

Nah. I'm a simple guy and have a 55 set up with live plants and plenty of logs and rocky stuff with some black striped angelfish and emerald barbs a few pleco for keeping the algae and food waste down plus a handful of snails and crawdads to annoy everything else. Pretty and other than water changes and occasional testing is more or less maintenance free.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users