Fish Aquarium Fish Tank Aquascaping Freshwater Off Topic

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

xXTheGameAceXx #21 Posted May 10 2019 - 20:30

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 11286 battles

View PostTheManFromKekistan, on May 09 2019 - 17:11, said:

Nah. I'm a simple guy and have a 55 set up with live plants and plenty of logs and rocky stuff with some black striped angelfish and emerald barbs a few pleco for keeping the algae and food waste down plus a handful of snails and crawdads to annoy everything else. Pretty and other than water changes and occasional testing is more or less maintenance free.

Ah that's a shame. Lots of really unique and beautiful stuff out there in freshwater~

I actually just took a long drive out to a store today to get some new unique stuff. Will get pics up later.

Got a female Celestial Pearl Danio since I already have a brightly colored male, 2 blue cherry shrimp, 3 Endler Guppies (one appears to have some injuries though. Looks like the others may have gotten a tad feisty), and a Banjo/Dwarf Anchor Catfish. Absolutely awesome fellas, and hope to start breeding the CPDs and Shrimp soon.

NutrientibusMeaGallus #22 Posted May 10 2019 - 20:52

Major

• Players
  • 22632 battles
  • [FILOX] FILOX
  I used to keep aquariums but kind of got out of it a little while ago. Had tanks from 5 1/2 for freshwater shrimp up to 29 gallons for small tropical community fish. Also had a 55, but that was set up for a snake, then a painted turtle (used to catch one at the beginning of spring and keep it till near the end of the summer for a few years) then a baby snapping turtle i took in when I was working at a pet store that I basically just kept for the winter and released it (at about 7x it's former size) in late spring...

TheManFromKekistan #23 Posted May 10 2019 - 21:29

Major

• -Players-
  • 28 battles

View PostxXTheGameAceXx, on May 10 2019 - 14:30, said:

Ah that's a shame. Lots of really unique and beautiful stuff out there in freshwater~

I actually just took a long drive out to a store today to get some new unique stuff. Will get pics up later.

Got a female Celestial Pearl Danio since I already have a brightly colored male, 2 blue cherry shrimp, 3 Endler Guppies (one appears to have some injuries though. Looks like the others may have gotten a tad feisty), and a Banjo/Dwarf Anchor Catfish. Absolutely awesome fellas, and hope to start breeding the CPDs and Shrimp soon.

Oh I understand you are more into it than I am. When I was younger my friends and I would build the most ridiculous tanks just because it was cool and didn't mind the cost or high maintenance since it was a competition. Now I'm old and more interested in ease and relaxation so the nice woodland brookish setup works well for my dens muted and dim decor.

NutrientibusMeaGallus #24 Posted May 10 2019 - 23:20

Major

• Players
  • 22632 battles
  • [FILOX] FILOX

View PostTheManFromKekistan, on May 10 2019 - 15:29, said:

Now I'm old and more interested in ease and relaxation so the nice woodland brookish setup works well for my dens muted and dim decor.

Pretty sure they do make tanks where it has a streamlike current across the tank but they're expensive as hell...

TheManFromKekistan #25 Posted May 10 2019 - 23:36

Major

• -Players-
  • 28 battles

View PostNutrientibusMeaGallus, on May 10 2019 - 17:20, said:

Pretty sure they do make tanks where it has a streamlike current across the tank but they're expensive as hell...

I kinda did that with the external canister filter I'm using. The intake is on one side and the outlet on the other. Not much of a current but it does keep the fish active when they venture out of the plants and logs and adds a subtle sway to the plants.

Wasn't all that expensive either considering its good for up to 100 gallon tanks. Keeps mine crystal clear and the plecos frantic for something to scavenge.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002DJ9NY

xXTheGameAceXx #26 Posted May 15 2019 - 08:05

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 11286 battles
So I'm officially paranoid about canister filters. Right before I was going to bed around 2AM this morning, the output connection broke and water started going everywhere. Just spent over the past hour cleaning up around 15 - 20 gallons of water off of hardwood with towels and rags. Some still under the boards though and seeping through the cracks as I step on it. A certain company that manufactured these parts is going to be getting an earful tomorrow...

TheManFromKekistan #27 Posted May 16 2019 - 06:54

Major

• -Players-
  • 28 battles

Ouch good thing you were still awake and avoided a total loss and probably extensive water damage to boot..

Had no issues so far but when I researched using a canister filter many reviews recommended a small dab of purple loctite on the threads so there would be no way for the connections to separate.

Its the weakest loctite formula so you can still remove the links but it takes a bit of grunt and make sure to only use a dab or it will never come loose.

xXTheGameAceXx #28 Posted May 17 2019 - 16:05

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 11286 battles

View PostTheManFromKekistan, on May 16 2019 - 00:54, said:

Ouch good thing you were still awake and avoided a total loss and probably extensive water damage to boot..

Had no issues so far but when I researched using a canister filter many reviews recommended a small dab of purple loctite on the threads so there would be no way for the connections to separate.

Its the weakest loctite formula so you can still remove the links but it takes a bit of grunt and make sure to only use a dab or it will never come loose.

Interesting, never heard of loctite before. Some people also recommended some sort of metal ring clamp which I think I'll look into. Otherwise today I have to cut some of the tubing off and refit it properly.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users