So if I were inclined to statpad...

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

Tao_Te_Tomato #1 Posted Apr 23 2019 - 15:33

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 25821 battles
  • [TER] TER

...not, as a "play for fun" camp member, that I ever would, it seems to me that looking at mostly driving my tanks that have a lot of battles (for a good sample size) and a green WN8 according to wotlabs, is the way to go.:hiding:

Or am I (not surprisingly) misunderstanding the system?

toesave #2 Posted Apr 23 2019 - 15:52

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 23291 battles
  • [DIXIE] DIXIE

with out starting a toxic war....  I would assume that may not be the end all..  stats only mean that you did "that" then, perhaps not now...  rather then tank played .. I assume the player would be the key..    can you play all, say heavies the at the same level of play or meds,, or well you get it...   stat padding is real no if, and or buts about it...

to pad your stats effectively, over the long haul. you would need to completely and fully understand all the aspects of your "tanks" all of them that you play...   if you drop down and seal club you will only be good at it is you know what your tanks can do with you driving it and what the other tanks are capable of doing to you..

this game has several types of players... those that have to win at all costs, those that just fill free time with something they find fun.  or those that can't handle a loss no matter what.  these are the ones that TK the others on there team..after all that will help them win Right

AnArmyofBun #3 Posted Apr 23 2019 - 15:59

Major

• Players
  • 11611 battles
  • [BUNS] BUNS

View PostTao_Te_Tomato, on Apr 23 2019 - 07:33, said:

...not, as a "play for fun" camp member, that I ever would, it seems to me that looking at mostly driving my tanks that have a lot of battles (for a good sample size) and a green WN8 according to wotlabs, is the way to go.:hiding:

Generally speaking "statpadding" comes from playing low tier tanks with bad expected wn8 values and trashing new players to boost your wn8/wr.  Or going to the SA server and beating the bots up.  Now.  That being said. The real way to just "stat pad" your actual stats is to play well.  It can be difficult.  I myself have dropped down in stats from taking long breaks and grinding new lines.  Honestly - if you're a green WN8 player just keep trying to do what you already do - but little bits better every time.  One more shell per game.  One more game survived.  One more kill per game.  Focus on what you do best and do it better I suppose.

_Tsavo_ #4 Posted Apr 23 2019 - 16:01

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 44651 battles
  • [TSAVO] TSAVO

I wouldn't play specifically to pad stats, but on wotlabs, you can see what tanks in your last 1,000 games are your current performers.  They might even be the ones you enjoy playing.  I know my better performers are the ones I enjoy playing.

In the end, I wouldn't focus on playing for stats and instead keep on playing for the fun and enjoyment of this game.  I do and more should.

AnArmyofBun #5 Posted Apr 23 2019 - 16:04

Major

• Players
  • 11611 battles
  • [BUNS] BUNS

View Post_Tsavo_, on Apr 23 2019 - 08:01, said:

I wouldn't play specifically to pad stats, but on wotlabs, you can see what tanks in your last 1,000 games are your current performers.  They might even be the ones you enjoy playing.  I know my better performers are the ones I enjoy playing.

In the end, I wouldn't focus on playing for stats and instead keep on playing for the fun and enjoyment of this game.  I do and more should.

I can't wait to whine in your ear about how bad I am at the EBR 90 whenever I can afford to unlock the modules.

BlackFive #6 Posted Apr 23 2019 - 16:12

Major

• Players
  • 33682 battles
  • [_E_] _E_

View PostTao_Te_Tomato, on Apr 23 2019 - 15:33, said:

I kinda tried this when I came back from an extended break to see if it worked... and found it not as effective as it seemed like it should be.

In my case, many of the tanks I was 'very good' in were no longer meta (i.e. T-20) and I had 'lost a stride' during my break. 

But more fundamentally, I needed to adjust to the new meta and play the new meta tanks better.  Point being - you can't just pick a tank 'you do well in' and simply watch your stats rise - without the corresponding understanding of and beating the meta.  If you play the meta well, you can make pretty much any tank work, but will have more success with meta tanks.  OTOH - the top players are pushing the envelope with those tanks so you will have to work harder to get a bump in stats.  [shrug] 

But as has been said - focus on having fun and staying alive longer and the stats should take care of themselves 

_Tsavo_ #7 Posted Apr 23 2019 - 16:12

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 44651 battles
  • [TSAVO] TSAVO

View PostAnArmyofBun, on Apr 23 2019 - 10:04, said:

I can't wait to whine in your ear about how bad I am at the EBR 90 whenever I can afford to unlock the modules.

You's a superuni, you'll figure it out.  

Tao_Te_Tomato #8 Posted Apr 23 2019 - 16:13

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 25821 battles
  • [TER] TER

View Post_Tsavo_, on Apr 23 2019 - 16:01, said:

I seriously *am* in the "play for fun" camp.   I would agree about playing the tanks you enjoy - and it seems to show in my feelz.  I enjoy playing my T54 Mod1.  I am HATING the grind on the T44 (but I DO so want the Obj 430 before it gets hit with the nerfbat!), yet the two are quite similar.  And it's odd - I don't remember hating the T44 as much when I was going up the line to the T54.

AnArmyofBun #9 Posted Apr 23 2019 - 16:14

Major

• Players
  • 11611 battles
  • [BUNS] BUNS

View PostTao_Te_Tomato, on Apr 23 2019 - 08:13, said:

I seriously *am* in the "play for fun" camp.   I would agree about playing the tanks you enjoy - and it seems to show in my feelz.  I enjoy playing my T54 Mod1.  I am HATING the grind on the T44 (but I DO so want the Obj 430 before it gets hit with the nerfbat!), yet the two are quite similar.  And it's odd - I don't remember hating the T44 as much when I was going up the line to the T54.

Don't you worry even a little.  The 430 and 430u nerfs will remove them from "God Tier" and place them in the "Demigod Tier."  Which will still be "Really really good and better than most other mediums.".  You'll be fine. 

BlackFive #10 Posted Apr 23 2019 - 16:18

Major

• Players
  • 33682 battles
  • [_E_] _E_

View PostTao_Te_Tomato, on Apr 23 2019 - 16:13, said:

I found the T-44 to be a bomb on tracks.  Racked and lost turret more than any other tank I played.  Mind you this was a long time ago - but I am still scarred from that grind and will never buy it again  

AnArmyofBun #11 Posted Apr 23 2019 - 17:32

Major

• Players
  • 11611 battles
  • [BUNS] BUNS

View PostBlackFive, on Apr 23 2019 - 08:18, said:

I found the T-44 to be a bomb on tracks.  Racked and lost turret more than any other tank I played.  Mind you this was a long time ago - but I am still scarred from that grind and will never buy it again  

Sometimes it be that way.

Pipinghot #12 Posted Apr 23 2019 - 17:41

Major

• Players
  • 25960 battles
  • [IOC] IOC

View PostTao_Te_Tomato, on Apr 23 2019 - 09:33, said:

The single best way to pad your stats is to get better at the game, everything else is mostly bunk and garbage. I'm not saying that to criticize you in any way, but to encourage you. If you really want to improve your stats then put more focus on learning and improving.

Don't fall into the trap of thinking that you need to work your way up to some tank that's supposed to improve your stats, if you don't play it right that won't happen. It's darned hilarious to see someone say they've bought an "OP stat padding tank" only to see their stats plummet because they don't know how to play it properly. Some tanks are better than others, that's true, but most of the so-called "stat padding" tanks are only really better if you're good enough to take full advantage of them.

Are you familiar with the concept of the "tank curves"? The idea behind tank curves is that some tanks are better for you if you are a below average player, some are better for you if you're an average player, and some are better if you're an above average player. Rather than relying on the overall WN8 rating of a tank, you can look at the tank curve information on the wot-news web site and figure out whether a tank is right for you or not.

Try doing this:

1) Go to http://wot-news.com/.../tankinfo/en/us, this is the "Statistic, tanks curves and full information" page for the NA server.

2) Using the selection options on that page select the following:

* the U.S. flag

* the icon for Heavy tanks

* the "X" for Tier X tanks

* Now look at the pictures of the tanks on the bar, the only two tanks still showing will be the T57 and the T110E5.

4) Click on the "Tanks Curves" button.

5) Click on the picture of the T57

Down below this will bring up a graph showing how well people of various skill levels do with that specific tank.

* The blue line is the reference line. Since you're a a 48% player look for the spot on the blue line for 48% players, when you hover your mouse over it you will see the text, "48% Overall, 48% on Tank.

* Now look at the black line just below that spot. When you mouse over it will say, "48% Overall, 45.59% on Tank. What that means is that they looked at players who have an overall WR of 48%, then they looked at only the T57 battles played by those same players, those players only have a 45.59% Win Rate in the T57. What this tells you is the the T57 is not a good choice for a 48% player. In the hands of a 48% player this tank will under perform because they don't understand how to play this tank properly. In the hands of a very good player it has historically been a "stat padding" tank, but in the hands of an average player it has historically been "stat damaging" tank.

* Now look at the green line, notice two things.

a) It has a specific date range, going back about a month.

b) Even for good players, their Win Rate in the T57 is lower than their overall win rate. This means that under the current "meta" in WoT even good players take a hit when they play this tank. When you consider the overall state of the game, if you were a 61% player, right now, today, there is a decent chance you would not want to play your T57 because it seems to be under-performing in the current game meta.

Now, after all of that information, it still comes down to your individual ability to play a tank. Let's say we find a tank that's more "friendly" to a 48% player.

Let's look at the U.S., Tier VIII Heavy, the M6A2E1 (this is a premium tank, btw, but for the purposes of this discussion that doesn't matter).

If you look at the Tank Curve data you'll see that historically it isn't a great tank for a 48% player, with the black line showing an effective Win Rate of 46.26% for a 48% player such as yourself. But... the green line shows that 48% players are doing quite well with this tank under the current meta with a recent Win Rate of 49.55% on this tank.

Does that mean that you would have a Win Rate of 49.55% if you started playing this tank? There's no way to know for sure. How well do you play similar tanks? How good are you at Tier VIII in general? The Tank Curves information is a good way to warn you away from tanks that can hurt you, but it cannot guarantee good results for you if you don't do the work of learning how to be good in a tank.

And that takes us back full circle - the single best way to pad your stats is to get better at the game.

Edited by Pipinghot, Apr 23 2019 - 17:41.

haxmachine21 #13 Posted Apr 23 2019 - 17:44

Captain

• -Players-
  • 14217 battles
  • [XXII] XXII
Not gonna lie....did the majority of my 'stat-padding' while playing for 3rd Marks on the 10 tanks that have all 3 so far....and shamefully....the FCM36Pak40......:bush:

Griffon327327 #14 Posted Apr 23 2019 - 18:09

Captain

• Players
  • 86021 battles
  • [NVRDY] NVRDY

You do not have to "stat' pad to bring your scores up

go to noobmeter.com and track your progress in EVERY tank you ever played and use the utility to see the stats you have in each one by XVM color levels

click the top of chart to bring up all your RED tanks which are worst ... put a good crew in those tanks and play a couple dozen battles checking your progress to bring them up so they are green or blue in rating  by damage and win rate etc..

rinse and repeat

by removing the BAD stats in your player log you systematically raise your overall score without actually spending 25k battles in a T67 and being a useless player

a lot of those bad tanks you have when you first started the game you might have had a 75% crew without even a set of binocs so increasing your stats on those might take 2 hours top per tank

Tao_Te_Tomato #15 Posted Apr 23 2019 - 20:46

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 25821 battles
  • [TER] TER

View PostAnArmyofBun, on Apr 23 2019 - 16:14, said:

Don't you worry even a little.  The 430 and 430u nerfs will remove them from "God Tier" and place them in the "Demigod Tier."  Which will still be "Really really good and better than most other mediums.".  You'll be fine. 

But I don't WANT a mere "demigod" tank!!!!!!  :child:

If I sound like a whiner it's because, well, I'M WHINING!!!!  :arta:

Though 1.5 hasn't rolled out yet, I don' think, so there may be time still to at least try the 430.  And gleefully sell the T44....

GAJohnnie #16 Posted Apr 23 2019 - 21:52

Major

• Players
  • 10320 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

View PostTao_Te_Tomato, on Apr 23 2019 - 09:33, said:

Look at your Service Record in game. Check the box so it shows only vehicles in garage. Sort by battle played. Pick 5 tanks you do best WN8/WR in with more then 100 games played. Play them exclusively for a week or 2.

Tao_Te_Tomato #17 Posted Apr 23 2019 - 22:35

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 25821 battles
  • [TER] TER

View PostGAJohnnie, on Apr 23 2019 - 21:52, said:

Look at your Service Record in game. Check the box so it shows only vehicles in garage. Sort by battle played. Pick 5 tanks you do best WN8/WR in with more then 100 games played. Play them exclusively for a week or 2.

Dang, I saw you post into the thread and thought you were going to have more codes* for us!!!!!  :teethhappy:

Though I suppose you have just tossed in something that's essentially a code for statpadding, so I will admire your consistency!

In reality (such that one may consider pixeltanks as "reality") I'm just mostly interested in the mechanics of the coloration.  Other than deciding who on my team would be a good role model to follow around, I don't pay that much attention to XVM issues, though the arguments pro/con are fun to follow along.

*Seriously - again, HUGE thanks for your posting during the February Scavenger Hunt - I'm STILL burning through those boosters!

toesave #18 Posted Apr 23 2019 - 23:19

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 23291 battles
  • [DIXIE] DIXIE

View Posthaxmachine21, on Apr 23 2019 - 16:44, said:

Not gonna lie....did the majority of my 'stat-padding' while playing for 3rd Marks on the 10 tanks that have all 3 so far....and shamefully....the FCM36Pak40......:bush:

lol.... if it is possible to do that, in game, with no hand slap. if  it is a known feature/"cheat" then it is or should be good to go..  as long as anything, right or wrong is common knowledge then it is fine..  either by design or failure to properly test..  it should be able to be used,,, by those who feel it will be good for there stats/fun to play...   I just think it is not cool..    but I have no issue with you doing it.... cause wot is okay with it.... if wot did not want you to do it. the game itself would not be allowed to do it...  kodo's to you for using the features they provide....

Copacetic #19 Posted Apr 24 2019 - 01:16

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 43709 battles
  • [ZEUS] ZEUS
have to be capable, before you can be inclined

haxmachine21 #20 Posted Apr 24 2019 - 02:09

Captain

• -Players-
  • 14217 battles
  • [XXII] XXII

View Posttoesave, on Apr 23 2019 - 16:19, said:

lol.... if it is possible to do that, in game, with no hand slap. if  it is a known feature/"cheat" then it is or should be good to go..  as long as anything, right or wrong is common knowledge then it is fine..  either by design or failure to properly test..  it should be able to be used,,, by those who feel it will be good for there stats/fun to play...   I just think it is not cool..    but I have no issue with you doing it.... cause wot is okay with it.... if wot did not want you to do it. the game itself would not be allowed to do it...  kodo's to you for using the features they provide....

Usually, I would just play flat-out until I had 3-Marked the tank in question, with no care for stats. I just wanted that 3rd Mark. Then, I'd go to wotlabs and see that my WN8 had spiked massively, since I usually had to play quite intensely to reach my goal. That's what happens pretty much every time I go for a 3rd Mark. As for the FCM36Pak40, that was back when I played nothing but Tier 3-4, which was over 3 years ago. I now rarely play below tier 5.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users