Why are there tech trees in the game?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

21Blackjack #1 Posted Apr 24 2019 - 07:01

Major

• Players
  • 20836 battles

I'm running into T95/FV4201s in my Centurion more and more, and I'm just like "If this tank is in the game, then the entire British Medium line is defunct"  I get to a usual hulldown position and who got there before me?  A T95/FV4201.  Who is virtually impenetrable to my gun.  Like why are tech trees in the game now?  This is the best all around British tank in the game.  Why was I grinding the Centurion Action X?  The FV4201 is like a Centurion 7/1 with a 120mm gun, 200 more hitpoints, and 100mm more turret armor.  Most people would choose that over the Cent AX in a second.

Why would I bother grinding the Russian medium line?  The best Russian tanks are the Defender and the Object reward tanks.

If WG introduced a Premium OI, Premium Luchs, and Premium T67, I would've said to scrap the tech trees altogether.  Because those are the only other things I see with any regularity.

FastForward7 #2 Posted Apr 24 2019 - 07:10

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 11619 battles
If I'm understanding your question correctly, I'd say because a significant percentage of the players in this game will never drop a dime on it, and WG has to create viable alternatives for them to be semi-competitive, too? This game is a symbiotic relationship. The players who've never paid a dime need the small percentage of whales to keep the game financially viable, and the whales need the free players so they actually have someone to play against. 

Edited by FastForward7, Apr 24 2019 - 07:16.

21Blackjack #3 Posted Apr 24 2019 - 07:16

Major

• Players
  • 20836 battles

View PostFastForward7, on Apr 24 2019 - 07:10, said:

If I'm understanding your point correctly, I'd say because a significant percentage of the players in this game will never drop a dime on it, and WG has to create viable alternatives for them to be semi-competitive, too? This game is a symbiotic relationship. The players who've never paid a dime need the small percentage of whales to keep the game financially viable, and the whales need the free players so they actually have someone to play against. 

Well then I guess there will just be the 1000 whales left soon enough.

Jryder #4 Posted Apr 24 2019 - 07:36

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 13911 battles

Tech tree are a remnant from the days before premiums tanks were created to be superior to tech tree tanks. In those days, premiums were bought almost exclusively to 1) make credits, and 2) train crews for tech tree tanks since premiums were (generally speaking) slightly weaker than their tech tree counterparts. The payoff was better credit earning and crew Exp. in exchange for weaker performance.

Those days are long gone.

There's no reason to get rid of the tech tree so I doubt that they will, but it sure seems like they'd rather just sell ever more powerful premiums instead. If FL ever runs with a different tier, I probably have some tech tree tanks to play. At T8, all I have is premiums (whatever T8's I had I dumped and moved the crews to T9).

death_stryker #5 Posted Apr 24 2019 - 07:45

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 4575 battles
  • [LUCID] LUCID

View PostFastForward7, on Apr 23 2019 - 23:10, said:

If I'm understanding your question correctly, I'd say because a significant percentage of the players in this game will never drop a dime on it, and WG has to create viable alternatives for them to be semi-competitive, too? This game is a symbiotic relationship. The players who've never paid a dime need the small percentage of whales to keep the game financially viable, and the whales need the free players so they actually have someone to play against. 

The Defender is complete P2W, but the thing is, most reward tank owners aren't even true whales. Sure, they might spend a couple hundred dollars, but the real whales who spend thousands upon thousands are generally not good enough at the game to get those reward tanks. Funny thing is, the players who do get said reward tanks, are the best players in the game. The issue with reward tanks (and by extension bond equipment) is that these overpowered rewards give good players an unfair and unnecessary advantage which in the long run becomes unhealthy to game balance, not to mention that it also promotes toxicity. WoT is by nature a high-variance game, due to the lack of respawns, among other things. Giving already highly influential players even more influence over a battle's outcome only increases this variance, which is not a good thing: 15-2 games are highly detrimental to the "fun factor" of the game, and rewarding good players with what is essentially power creep only makes those games more common.

ColonelShakes #6 Posted Apr 24 2019 - 09:01

Captain

• -Players-
  • 16469 battles
  • [CDN] CDN

View Post21Blackjack, on Apr 24 2019 - 07:01, said:

I'm running into T95/FV4201s in my Centurion more and more, and I'm just like "If this tank is in the game, then the entire British Medium line is defunct"  I get to a usual hulldown position and who got there before me?  A T95/FV4201.  Who is virtually impenetrable to my gun.  Like why are tech trees in the game now?  This is the best all around British tank in the game.  Why was I grinding the Centurion Action X?  The FV4201 is like a Centurion 7/1 with a 120mm gun, 200 more hitpoints, and 100mm more turret armor.  Most people would choose that over the Cent AX in a second.

Why would I bother grinding the Russian medium line?  

There are plenty of good tech tree tanks , especially in the British line.  Garbage such as yourself cannot see it and cannot exploit it.  Just not good enough.  Sorry bub.  If you need tips let us know but your stats after 20k plus games tell us all there is no hope for you, as the tips will fall on deaf ears and blind eyes.

Time to uninstall ?  

FastForward7 #7 Posted Apr 24 2019 - 09:21

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 11619 battles

View PostColonelShakes, on Apr 24 2019 - 09:01, said:

There are plenty of good tech tree tanks , especially in the British line.  Garbage such as yourself cannot see it and cannot exploit it.  Just not good enough.  Sorry bub.  If you need tips let us know but your stats after 20k plus games tell us all there is no hope for you, as the tips will fall on deaf ears and blind eyes.

Time to uninstall ?  

Is your life so sad that you feel better about yourself by talking crap to people on the internet, about a video game, no less? 

Btw, I hate to tell you, but OP's overall win rate is better than yours, so maybe you should calm down a bit with the smug attitude. 

Stevenwt #8 Posted Apr 24 2019 - 09:40

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 6546 battles

Tech trees help  the planet, they give us food, renewable building materials paper, and consume carbon....and there wood waste can be burried in landfills removing carbon indefinitely from the environment!

oh you meant WOT Tech trees, its a leftover, from when premiums were basically mostly supposed to be almost as good as the tech tree equivalent,  and if it was not as good it got "Special matchmaking, but then for some reason then the developers went semi crazy with Premiums, and now they have to somehow balance the game around those, which is why Frontlines is now a thing,

and to be honest some of the premiums are clunkers, the KV-5 for example..... 

and lets be serious, there's very few of the premiums that are good enough to be in Tier 10s, and to be blunt the most overpoweres premium tier is going to be nerfed(The KV2 ® they are nerfing HE and that change hits it too)

Edited by Stevenwt, Apr 24 2019 - 09:49.

Ciabhan #9 Posted Apr 24 2019 - 11:08

Corporal

• Players
  • 8261 battles
  • [BLIST] BLIST

View PostColonelShakes, on Apr 24 2019 - 03:01, said:

Time to uninstall ?  

His wn8 isn't significantly less than your's and he has a full 3% better win rate.  You might want to consider not being a [edited]if you don't have the stats to back it up.

BurglarOfBanff_ff #10 Posted Apr 24 2019 - 12:40

Captain

• -Players-
  • 28905 battles
  • [DHO4] DHO4

View PostColonelShakes, on Apr 24 2019 - 03:01, said:

Time to uninstall ?  

What is that comment based on?  It's certainly not on your win rates in British tanks.

The_Next_Penetration #11 Posted Apr 24 2019 - 16:27

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 48709 battles
  • [DD214] DD214
Tech trees are in the game to give you the illusion that you have a chance. Once you've committed time to the game you're less likely to quit and more likely to just get premiums or overpowered clan reward tanks once you realize those are the only way to go.

Maybe we should just all start playing exclusively tier 3 and let all the 907s and T95/4201s have fun fighting each other.

SargeanTravis #12 Posted Apr 24 2019 - 16:30

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 2908 battles
  • [FUBU] FUBU
T95 has squishy rear armor and cupola. Done

Copacetic #13 Posted Apr 24 2019 - 18:07

Captain

• -Players-
  • 47369 battles
  • [ZEUS] ZEUS
I agree reward tanks being intentionally OP is BS.

FastForward7 #14 Posted Apr 24 2019 - 18:07

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 11619 battles

View PostCiabhan, on Apr 24 2019 - 11:08, said:

You might want to consider not being a [edited]if you don't have the stats to back it up.

Or more simply put, they might want to consider not being a jerk at all, good stats or no. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users