Control of Center vs Control of Flanks: Why do so many players cede the advantage?

Ghost Town Ehrlenburg

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

QuicksilverJPR #21 Posted Apr 25 2019 - 20:03

Major

• Players
  • 26762 battles
  • [RPG] RPG

View PostTao_Te_Tomato, on Apr 25 2019 - 12:30, said:

You mean the idiots like the two heavies and two mediums that wiped my medium off the beach yesterday, then proceeded up the channels to surprise <redacted, related to anal copulation> the rest of Team Green because the other 14 players were True Believers in the Church Of No Beach and were attending services in their respective top areas? 

Those kind of idiots? 

"Winning" idiots?

It works once every 50 to 100 matches on that map.  It's still a moronic idea...unless it's clan/team play.  In randoms, it leads to losses the vast majority of times...

Tao_Te_Tomato #22 Posted Apr 25 2019 - 20:06

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 25748 battles
  • [TER] TER

View PostQuicksilverJPR, on Apr 25 2019 - 20:03, said:

It works once every 50 to 100 matches on that map.  It's still a moronic idea...unless it's clan/team play.  In randoms, it leads to losses the vast majority of times...

I'll need to start keeping stats, since I pretty much live (and die) on the beach there.  Couldn't tell you what the other side of the map looked like to save my life....  :teethhappy:

I'll report back when I have a statistically significant sample  to report (which, given the Standard of WoT Forum Practice I've observed, seems to be one-or-fewer).

Edited by Tao_Te_Tomato, Apr 25 2019 - 20:08.

mbrolin #23 Posted Apr 25 2019 - 20:20

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 32835 battles

View PostBlackFive, on Apr 24 2019 - 20:25, said:

Ehrlenburg and Ghost Town.

Two maps I really enjoy - mostly because most players seem to fail to understand flank control.  They're 'easy to farm' maps.

But why do players not understand that giving up control of both flanks is an absolutely stupid proposition?  Too often, on both Ehrlenburg and Ghost Town, I see players blithely head straight into the urban areas in the center of the maps... only to be hammered by tanks on the flanks.  Why?  What kind of cookies are they serving in town?

Ghost town literally cannot be won without control of at least one flank.  But so many teams try.  Ehrlenburg isn't quite as bad - people at least try for the Castle (I prefer the hills on the other side myself) - but still; teams doddle into the buildings and then... stop.  It's absurd.  Put 1/3 of the team on a flank - any flank... and you can all move up.  Drive into town without flank control?  Buh bye.

Don't tell me it's arty fear.  I've taken all kinds of tanks into the hills and made them work (maybe not blind bat tanks) ... but why?

Someone explain this to me, please

I always wonder that myself. The middles on these maps are just safe spaces for [edited]. Erlenburg is even worse. There's very limited places to shoot out of it.

mbrolin #24 Posted Apr 25 2019 - 20:33

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 32835 battles

View Postredjkent, on Apr 25 2019 - 01:12, said:

if im in a heavie or slow armored tank i am not going the flanks because mediums and lights will play peekabo and kill you, if your in a slow tank getting caught trying to go up a hill or between cover is a death sentence

If your in a heavy and you have a medium willing to play peekaboo with you. You should be winning that every time unless their 2 teirs above you. 

mbrolin #25 Posted Apr 25 2019 - 20:37

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 32835 battles
I enjoy Ghost Town. It is easy to win. Win the field, win the game. No matter how heavy of a tank I drive, I'm going flanks in those 2 maps. I'm playing to win the game, not save my paint job. I'm also a heavy player whose's favorite map is Prokhorovka.

golruul #26 Posted Apr 25 2019 - 20:59

Captain

• Players
  • 21959 battles

This isn't really surprising.  The not-so-good players can't handle dealing with enemies that aren't dead-ahead, so they try to put themselves in positions where they only have to deal with enemies in front of them.

Playing the flank means you have to deal with enemies from multiple arcs as well as arty -- something the not-so-good players always tries to avoid.

Eventually they'll learn what spots in the town protect from flanking fire and won't move from there -- i.e. they'll find good camping spots.  Then when the team collapses around them, they'll blame the team.

cloudwalkr #27 Posted Apr 27 2019 - 14:27

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 55851 battles
  • [CLAWS] CLAWS

View PostTao_Te_Tomato, on Apr 25 2019 - 20:06, said:

I'll need to start keeping stats, since I pretty much live (and die) on the beach there.  Couldn't tell you what the other side of the map looked like to save my life....  :teethhappy:

I'll report back when I have a statistically significant sample  to report (which, given the Standard of WoT Forum Practice I've observed, seems to be one-or-fewer).

dude....

smh

ProfessionalFinn #28 Posted Apr 27 2019 - 16:02

Captain

• -Players-
  • 24585 battles

View PostGenPanzer, on Apr 24 2019 - 12:36, said:

It's arty protection. Sadly, that's the reason.

Actually it's probably also because nobody wants to see a heavy sniping. And, if you leave the center open, then you will be shot from there as you push a flank. A presence needs to be in all three fronts. But, one or two need only push. All the players need to read the map to realize this and make it happen.

Of course, with missions, nobody wants to be the guy that sits on a corner for 75% of the game waiting for the other flank to win and get there to help finish off the team.

It's what makes all battle unique and dynamic from each other.

Bad awful mean arty makes for stupid team play?  Oh my.

This bane described well by OP occurs when there is no arty on either team, or just 1 per team.

All things being equal, heavy tanks like to brawl,  heavily armored TDs do as well. 
Generalizations to be sure but true.

Up next, blame those pesky French wheeled vehicles for teams defaulting the flanks.

WhiteBishop #29 Posted Apr 27 2019 - 16:15

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 5584 battles

Most heavies with poor gun depression will always benefit on flat terrain and cities also provide hard cover from SPG's while being able to use their armor to its strengths. Most of the time the flanks are nothing but light tanks, glass cannon TD's, and medium tanks with speed and gun depression because its wide open, undulating hills. 

ProfessionalFinn #30 Posted Apr 27 2019 - 16:33

Captain

• -Players-
  • 24585 battles

As an aside, Ghost Town game chat is often fill with map-hate. I like this map.

One reason is it offers the prospect of long range fire with its long fields of vision from the flanks.

Long range gunnery also attracts me to play FL. 

Also tagged with Ghost Town, Ehrlenburg

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users