WGNA - an answer please: If I have run Vanilla (no mods) since 2017... do I really need to uninstall...

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

BlackFive #1 Posted Apr 25 2019 - 04:59

Major

• Players
  • 33530 battles
  • [_E_] _E_

WGNA: Is there merit to the panic?

Before I discovered Solo was sandboxing crypto mining software I regularly ran his or Anfield's modpacks.  But with the risk of malware I finally just gave up on mods.

Today, the front page is all aflutter with players saying to wipe-delete WOT and clean the registry or load WOT onto a new HD... all because of some threat of a ban.

So... do I need to do all that silliness?

AverageWannabe #2 Posted Apr 25 2019 - 05:13

Captain

• -Players-
  • 4767 battles
  • [GIZMO] GIZMO

Check out this thread:

http://forum.worldoftanks.com/index.php?/topic/598703-how-to-remove-every-single-trace-of-mods/page__hl__%20mods__st__40#topmost

There is some very sound advice in there (along with the obligatory stupid posts)

Edited by AverageWannabe, Apr 25 2019 - 05:15.

Ozium #3 Posted Apr 25 2019 - 05:20

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 18238 battles
clean install of Win isn't a bad idea every few years and wipe and re-install of WoT wouldn't hurt. is it time or net caps that makes you hesitant?

dave_292 #4 Posted Apr 25 2019 - 05:30

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 27115 battles
  • [SBW] SBW
The real question is how you made it through that many updates in WOT and did not have to do a clean install. I am happy if its a year and a half before I have issues.

the_Deadly_Bulb #5 Posted Apr 25 2019 - 05:44

Major

• Players
  • 25893 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

View PostBlackFive, on Apr 24 2019 - 19:59, said:

Before I discovered Solo was sandboxing crypto mining software I regularly ran his or Anfield's modpacks.  But with the risk of malware I finally just gave up on mods.

Today, the front page is all aflutter with players saying to wipe-delete WOT and clean the registry or load WOT onto a new HD... all because of some threat of a ban.

I doubt they will respond.

They won't give out anything pertaining to how they gather the info pertaining to bans.

They may use the contents of the registry, not sure its legal for them to scan it but its always a possibility.

They may use the contents of your python logs. 

They're part of their game, and therefore they may be permitted to scan them to ensure your client is up to date etc.

WG isn't very forthcoming with information around their methods.

If you run mods, especially if you ever ran any of the 3 mods outlined in the latest FairPlay advisory, then you should consider uninstalling, cleaning your registry of all things WoT, then re-installing.

Even if you only ever got mods from the WG Official WoT Mod Hub.

Its really the only way you can be sure there will be no trace of you ever having used it.

I thought I was the only one who thought Solo was out of line with his invasive crypto mining bots.

His site asked my permission.

I declined.

My antivirus then blocked his site's repeated attempts to install a miner bot for quite some time, even after I had left the site.

Made me delete his mod pack and recommend avoiding his mods form then onward.

When v1.0 was launched I didn't update, I deleted the game ran C-Cleaner and reinstalled it fresh. 

I run only XVM and garage mods so I'm not concerned.

You need to make your own decisions and then carry through.

Don't depend on someone else to tell you what to do to safeguard your account, its yours, only you know how important it is to you.

Certainly don't wait for WG to lead you by the hand, they're not good at it. 

Griffon327327 #6 Posted Apr 25 2019 - 06:12

Captain

• Players
  • 85828 battles
  • [NVRDY] NVRDY

Wargaming wants you and everyone else to do a complete install of the game simply because by doing that you have zero ability to avoid using their consolidated game portal to play the game

veteran players have been able to avoid this portal because there simply isnt any need to and its a complete waste of time

the moment you uninstall everything and do a fresh reload you will lose forever the ability to simply click the wot.exe  file and log into the game .  why ? is the portal going to be hit with adware in future ? does it have ads now ? couldn't tell you

got my nephew into playing game and ran into this portal thing when installed his game on his PC and no way to get around it you cannot play wot without using portal on a new install

this is step one a voluntary reboot and install those that do not do this regardless of complete vanilla client will be forced at a later time ... they dont want to lose player base by forcing everyone from the start . I simply do not trust or like the portal because on my PC any bank info or anything like passwords are never typed

I copy and paste all confedential info from a thumb drive and that info is loaded to drive when needed from a lap top for my mustang with all my tuning software and that lap top has never once been online .. 

poormans security but works .. the portal will not let you paste the info in therefore it has to be typed .. I avoid key loggers by never typing stuff into my pc like bank info and passwords

scHnuuudle_bop #7 Posted Apr 25 2019 - 07:29

Major

• -Players-
  • 19916 battles

The panic seems to be a bit of a tempest in a teapot.

For those with questionable mods, "should" clear it up.

I was just planning to re-install Aslain's mod pack on June 1.

dunniteowl #8 Posted Apr 25 2019 - 16:40

Major

• -Players-
  • 28602 battles

Never ran a single mod.  Not reinstalling unless an update borks my game.  I have had to reinstall WoT three times in all the time I've played since 2014.

If you have never run a mod, never been virus hacked or haven't had any sort of malware on your system, I feel 100% confident in saying: Don't Worry, Be Happy.

OvO

CabbageMechanic #9 Posted Apr 25 2019 - 19:21

Senior Community Manager

• Administrator
  • 8943 battles
  • [WGA] WGA

You're almost definitely fine, but a clean install never hurts.  If you ever used one of the mods specifically detailed here, I would do it just to be safe.

Arrowheadmen #10 Posted Apr 25 2019 - 19:34

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 20433 battles
  • [XCAL] XCAL

View PostCabbageMechanic, on Apr 25 2019 - 19:21, said:

You're almost definitely fine, but a clean install never hurts.  If you ever used one of the mods specifically detailed here, I would do it just to be safe.

You say "do it", what exactly would you recommend? 

Burning_Haggis #11 Posted Apr 25 2019 - 19:50

Captain

• Players
  • 45029 battles
  • [GIZMO] GIZMO

Sad part is that all this fiasco is going to do absolutely nothing about a certain monthly-fee modpack.

it's not that difficult for a modder to rename a process, or hide it from the process list all together.

Fools will continue to be fools, but at least WG is trying.

Kelly_Semaka #12 Posted Apr 25 2019 - 20:09

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 14421 battles
  • [TWI9] TWI9
When?if your game client crashes - it wants to self send a report home ( to WG ) .  maybe that's where they get the mod info.   the report may show what mods you have/have not got.

GeoMonster #13 Posted Apr 25 2019 - 20:21

Captain

• -Players-
  • 33784 battles
  • [MUG-D] MUG-D

View Postdunniteowl, on Apr 25 2019 - 09:40, said:

Never ran a single mod.  Not reinstalling unless an update borks my game.  I have had to reinstall WoT three times in all the time I've played since 2014.

If you have never run a mod, never been virus hacked or haven't had any sort of malware on your system, I feel 100% confident in saying: Don't Worry, Be Happy.

OvO

Poor guy.  You missed out on so much more game enjoyment.  Condolences.

bevust #14 Posted Apr 25 2019 - 20:30

Corporal

• Players
  • 31348 battles
  • [M_N] M_N

UNINSTALL AND LEAVE THE GAME

bad_73 #15 Posted Apr 25 2019 - 20:47

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 1054 battles

View PostCabbageMechanic, on Apr 25 2019 - 19:21, said:

Never had a mod so this all dont apply to me.Dont fix what aint broken.And just get rid of all these mods anyways as any of them offer an advantage over the vanilla game.Then we wouldnt have this whole mess and have to play with cheaters who can get caught only after they cheated meaning we are playing with cheaters.Mod door was just an invitation to cheaters so get some common sense wg.

the_Deadly_Bulb #16 Posted Apr 25 2019 - 21:00

Major

• Players
  • 25893 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

View Postbad_73, on Apr 25 2019 - 11:47, said:

Never had a mod so this all dont apply to me.​ Then you also don't know the convenience or cosmetic upgrades mods can provide. Pity you.

Dont fix what aint broken. Mods don't fix anything. They make things work with less clicking,, less tedium and provide cosmetic and audio changes that are both amusing and great looking.

And just get rid of all these mods anyways as any of them offer an advantage over the vanilla game. Most mods offer no advantage whatsoever apart from convenience in the garage and cosmetic/audio enhancements. The illegal advantage providing mods are certinly out there, and WG does ban for their use. You're new by your start date, so you probably don't realise how many improvements to the game have been directly as a result of mods.

Then we wouldnt have this whole mess and have to play with cheaters who can get caught only after they cheated meaning we are playing with cheaters.Mod door was just an invitation to cheaters so get some common sense wg.The potential for players determined to run illegal mods are not enabled by the res_mod folder.

The exact same types of modifications to the client could be made without the ability to mod the game being provided in the client.

the_Deadly_Bulb #17 Posted Apr 25 2019 - 21:09

Major

• Players
  • 25893 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

View Postthe_Deadly_Bulb, on Apr 24 2019 - 20:44, said:

I doubt they will respond.

They won't give out anything pertaining to how they gather the info pertaining to bans.

>snip<

Certainly don't wait for WG to lead you by the hand, they're not good at it.  I now stand corrected. Cabbage has provided sound guidance. :great:

View PostCabbageMechanic, on Apr 25 2019 - 10:21, said:

Cabbage, I'm sincerely surprised you posted, thankful too for your considerate and concise answer.

Thank You, you're one of the good guys. :honoring:

GeoMonster #18 Posted Apr 25 2019 - 21:31

Captain

• -Players-
  • 33784 battles
  • [MUG-D] MUG-D

View Postbevust, on Apr 25 2019 - 13:30, said:

UNINSTALL AND LEAVE THE GAME

If everyone you told that to here and in game actually listened to you, you'd be playing alone.  Good thing you are well ignored for the sake of the game!

GeoMonster #19 Posted Apr 25 2019 - 21:34

Captain

• -Players-
  • 33784 battles
  • [MUG-D] MUG-D

View Postbad_73, on Apr 25 2019 - 13:47, said:

Never had a mod so this all dont apply to me.Dont fix what aint broken.And just get rid of all these mods anyways as any of them offer an advantage over the vanilla game.Then we wouldnt have this whole mess and have to play with cheaters who can get caught only after they cheated meaning we are playing with cheaters.Mod door was just an invitation to cheaters so get some common sense wg.

Someone here (no names mentioned) is quite naive and ignorant and for having hardly played this game, is an EXPERT on MODS.  Just amazing!

Tao_Te_Tomato #20 Posted Apr 25 2019 - 21:47

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 25751 battles
  • [TER] TER

View PostGeoMonster, on Apr 25 2019 - 21:34, said:

Someone here (no names mentioned) is quite naive and ignorant and for having hardly played this game, is an EXPERT on MODS.  Just amazing!

Reroll?

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users