High Explosive splash damage.

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

scHnuuudle_bop #1 Posted Apr 25 2019 - 07:47

Major

• -Players-
  • 21450 battles

Here is a great video, from several angles and slow motion.

A tow missile detonating its HE warhead about 20m over a T72

I does not take direct hits to damage things.

Edited by scHnuuudle_bop, Apr 25 2019 - 07:48.

F1O1 #2 Posted Apr 25 2019 - 08:25

Captain

• Players
  • 60 battles
  • [SAMUS] SAMUS

ls this some kind of a joke? 

First of all, it is a HEAT warhead. Modern ones, perhaps a tandem HEAT warhead.  These are anti-armour munitions. And a tank roof is like 38mm. 

The explosives in the missile, vastly less than high explosive ordnance, have copper lining and are in a certain shape / formation, to send a focused jet of molten metal in detonation to cut through armour, and a pressure wave through the incised armour and hole kills people, ignites ammunition, damages machinery.

A tow missile, copperhead artillery missile, Javelin missile, whether or not top down attack, still use a HEAT charge to disable and destroy vehicles. Not high explosives. 

A 120mm mortar shell rigged as an IED as a roadside bomb, triggers by a tank rolling by and detonating, blowing apart a tanks tracks and treads, and possibling cracking some of the thinner tank belly rolled steel - that is an explosive. And the effects are vastly different. 

F1O1 #3 Posted Apr 25 2019 - 08:41

Captain

• Players
  • 60 battles
  • [SAMUS] SAMUS

high explosives are very inefficient at damaging and destroying armoured units. 

Can they? Sure.  

A  SU85 in 1941 being a 122mm mobile howitzer could destroy a panzer ll Luchs with a 17 kilogram high explosive round, that could produce fragments alone that can penetrate 1in of plate armour. But a generic 45mm 20-K tank gun found on a T-50 or T-70, could do the same thing vastly easier, more accurately, with a 2kilogram armour piercing munition, made to penetrate over 2in at 500m.

Can a Mosquito aircraft, fitted with 250lb high explosive ordnance bombs destroy tanks? Yes it can, but its more likely to disable the tank by creating a crater and the tank can't get out and is immobile. But a P47 or Typhoon or lL-2 outifitted with HEAT rockets? Yes, they would destroy tanks, easier and more efficiently. 

Army is all about using the right weapon for the job. Can something do something else, it wasn't intended to do? Yes, it can, albiet inefficiently.

The whole purpose of a tank, back in WWl when they strode across barbed wire fields, were to protect occupants from explosives in the first place.

scHnuuudle_bop #4 Posted Apr 25 2019 - 09:09

Major

• -Players-
  • 21450 battles

View PostF1O1, on Apr 25 2019 - 08:41, said:

high explosives are very inefficient at damaging and destroying armoured units. 

Can they? Sure.  

A  SU85 in 1941 being a 122mm mobile howitzer could destroy a panzer ll Luchs with a 17 kilogram high explosive round, that could produce fragments alone that can penetrate 1in of plate armour. But a generic 45mm 20-K tank gun found on a T-50 or T-70, could do the same thing vastly easier, more accurately, with a 2kilogram armour piercing munition, made to penetrate over 2in at 500m.

Can a Mosquito aircraft, fitted with 250lb high explosive ordnance bombs destroy tanks? Yes it can, but its more likely to disable the tank by creating a crater and the tank can't get out and is immobile. But a P47 or Typhoon or lL-2 outifitted with HEAT rockets? Yes, they would destroy tanks, easier and more efficiently. 

Army is all about using the right weapon for the job. Can something do something else, it wasn't intended to do? Yes, it can, albiet inefficiently.

The whole purpose of a tank, back in WWl when they strode across barbed wire fields, were to protect occupants from explosives in the first place.

Um a joke, you asking is certainly one.

Just a video showing HE explosions and the vivid damage it does.

It was not a science lesson. Certainly not some commentary on the game, nor do I wish missiles.

Calm down, it was just a video, a pill or a nap.

Just a video, showing HE HEAT. Pretty certain despite your weird comments, the HE in HEAT stands for.............................................wait for it..............................high explosives.

Edited by scHnuuudle_bop, Apr 25 2019 - 09:09.

Dig_Baddy #5 Posted Apr 25 2019 - 10:22

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 12134 battles
  • [-SANE] -SANE

View PostscHnuuudle_bop, on Apr 25 2019 - 16:47, said:

Here is a great video, from several angles and slow motion.

A tow missile detonating its HE warhead about 20m over a T72

I does not take direct hits to damage things.

What does this have to do with World of Tanks? At all?

F1O1 #6 Posted Apr 25 2019 - 11:35

Captain

• Players
  • 60 battles
  • [SAMUS] SAMUS

View PostscHnuuudle_bop, on Apr 25 2019 - 08:09, said:

Um a joke, you asking is certainly one.

Just a video showing HE explosions and the vivid damage it does.

It was not a science lesson. Certainly not some commentary on the game, nor do I wish missiles.

Calm down, it was just a video, a pill or a nap.

Just a video, showing HE HEAT. Pretty certain despite your weird comments, the HE in HEAT stands for.............................................wait for it..............................high explosives.

you have no clue what you are talking about

High explosive anti-tank, AKA high explosive shaped charge,  is very different than high explosive fragmentation

High explosive is a thin walled case designed with lots of internal explosives, made to fragment and damage things superficially. Artillery and attack aircraft use these sort of munitions 

High explosive shaped charge, is an anti-armour munition with far less volume of explosives, designed in a way to produce a focused jet of molten metal to pierce armour. HEAT produces far less HE splashing effect than HE fragmentation. Anti-tank infantry with launchers, tanks, anti-tank guns, guided weapons use HEAT technology.

And you are trying to tell us HE is destroying a tank? So when E100 blaps a tank for 750 damage using HEAT, you mean to say that is HE? What on earth are you talking about

Pipinghot #7 Posted Apr 25 2019 - 13:39

Major

• Players
  • 25960 battles
  • [IOC] IOC

View PostscHnuuudle_bop, on Apr 25 2019 - 03:09, said:

showing HE HEAT. Pretty certain despite your weird comments, the HE in HEAT stands for.............................................wait for it..............................high explosives.

No. HE and HEAT are not at all the same thing, not in RL and not in WoT. The fact that you're insulting other people based on your own ignorance should embarrass you.

Edited by Pipinghot, Apr 25 2019 - 13:39.

HeraldricKnight #8 Posted Apr 25 2019 - 13:48

Captain

• Players
  • 8751 battles
You're terrible at trolling. 

F1O1 #9 Posted Apr 25 2019 - 16:08

Captain

• Players
  • 60 battles
  • [SAMUS] SAMUS

You are terrible at knowing.

And trolling

And playing

scHnuuudle_bop #10 Posted Apr 25 2019 - 23:02

Major

• -Players-
  • 21450 battles

View PostF1O1, on Apr 25 2019 - 16:08, said:

You are terrible at knowing.

And trolling

And playing

Trolling, wow. It is just a big bang with a tank turret flying around. I think you need to take a break from this game. You freak out at the silliest things.

What are you 5 years old. It was just a simple video. Interesting, not some daft debate. You seem to try and puke up with every one of your juvenile posting. 

Now, the babble you so clearly have not one single clue about. I mean you try and sound intelligent, You really do try.

The description of the HEAT round you so clearly have no clue about. so close, but yet so far wrong. You missed one important factor in your imagining.

That HEAT round MUST connect with its target . The shooting of molten metal,has be in direct contact with the vehicle. 

I know you think you have a bit of a grasp, but really do some research before you pontificate like this.

Like it or not, this missile shoots HE, high explosive. To do what is in the video, takes a large explosion. And a large explosion like that really does far far more than a stun and knocking tracks off. Even a concussive wave from an explosion like that, close to a tank, would kill the crew.

Edited by scHnuuudle_bop, Apr 25 2019 - 23:10.

scHnuuudle_bop #11 Posted Apr 25 2019 - 23:09

Major

• -Players-
  • 21450 battles

View PostDig_Baddy, on Apr 25 2019 - 10:22, said:

What does this have to do with World of Tanks? At all?

It shows a large HE explosion, near a tank, about 20 meters above, and it blows the tank to pieces. Just a sample of what real HE does, since it has become a topic lately.

gingerted91 #12 Posted Apr 25 2019 - 23:50

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 1473 battles
  • [MORDR] MORDR

View PostscHnuuudle_bop, on Apr 25 2019 - 23:09, said:

It shows a large HE explosion, near a tank, about 20 meters above, and it blows the tank to pieces. Just a sample of what real HE does, since it has become a topic lately.

This is the issue, mate, misleading title and description. (Yes it a cool shot of a TOW 2B Aero and all.)

This is a special type of shaped charge designed to penetrate armor effectively.  The missile detonated, the shaped charge was formed and penetrated the tank in a downward motion, and then set off a secondary explosion.  I find it hard to imagine they would stock the test tank with ammo (leading to extremely uncontrolled test conditions) but a fixed and controlled explosive load may have been substituted for safety and more controlled conditions. 

It is clearly not a demonstration of the traditional High Explosive round mechanic, as it was known and employed in WWII nor does it illustrate splash damage.  Quibbling over the minor details may seem trivial to you but undermines whatever salient point you were trying to make, re the recent HE discussions in WoT.

scHnuuudle_bop #13 Posted Apr 25 2019 - 23:56

Major

• -Players-
  • 21450 battles

View Postgingerted91, on Apr 25 2019 - 23:50, said:

This is the issue, mate, misleading title and description. (Yes it a cool shot of a TOW 2B Aero and all.)

This is a special type of shaped charge designed to penetrate armor effectively.  The missile detonated, the shaped charge was formed and penetrated the tank in a downward motion, and then set off a secondary explosion.  I find it hard to imagine they would stock the test tank with ammo (leading to extremely uncontrolled test conditions) but a fixed and controlled explosive load may have been substituted for safety and more controlled conditions. 

It is clearly not a demonstration of the traditional High Explosive round mechanic, as it was known and employed in WWII nor does it illustrate splash damage.  Quibbling over the minor details may seem trivial to you but undermines whatever salient point you were trying to make, re the recent HE discussions in WoT.

Well you actually sound like you know what you talk about. I checked it out before posting, every single reference I read mentioned one ammo type. Airburst HE.

No magic ammo was mentioned, but I really didn't look all that hard, as it is just an interesting video

OMFG, it was just a simple video showing a BIG bang, 

It was NOT meant to have anything at ALL to do with the game, just general interest.

It is just a cool video with a big bang and a tank.

I cannot believe the juvenile attitude.  

Edited by scHnuuudle_bop, Apr 26 2019 - 00:00.

gingerted91 #14 Posted Apr 26 2019 - 00:21

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 1473 battles
  • [MORDR] MORDR

View PostscHnuuudle_bop, on Apr 25 2019 - 23:56, said:

Well you actually sound like you know what you talk about. I checked it out before posting, every single reference I read mentioned one ammo type. Airburst HE.

No magic ammo was mentioned, but I really didn't look all that hard, as it is just an interesting video

OMFG, it was just a simple video showing a BIG bang, 

It was NOT meant to have anything at ALL to do with the game, just general interest.

I cannot believe the juvenile attitude.  

The video clearly indicated it was a TOW 2B Aero

Fair enough, you got it wrong.  (Although you do incorrectly relate it to the HE change discussions on the forums in post #11)

Not sure anyone is being juvenile just requesting some accuracy in posting... even Donald Trump would label your OP as "fake news"

Fractured_Raptor #15 Posted Apr 26 2019 - 01:53

Captain

• -Players-
  • 24910 battles
  • [O-VER] O-VER
No. A direct hit isn't necessary. Either the heat from the blast does the damage or the pressure wave does, and explosive pressure waves are effin brutal. 

Flarvin #16 Posted Apr 26 2019 - 02:02

Major

• Players
  • 54841 battles

View PostFractured_Raptor, on Apr 25 2019 - 19:53, said:

No. A direct hit isn't necessary. Either the heat from the blast does the damage or the pressure wave does, and explosive pressure waves are effin brutal. 

I call bull on that. 

Because I saw Indian jones survive a nuke blast in a refrigerator.

And nukes have far more heat and explosive pressure waves than HE. 

Plus refrigerators have far less armor. lol 

scHnuuudle_bop #17 Posted Apr 26 2019 - 02:31

Major

• -Players-
  • 21450 battles

View Postgingerted91, on Apr 26 2019 - 00:21, said:

The video clearly indicated it was a TOW 2B Aero

Fair enough, you got it wrong.  (Although you do incorrectly relate it to the HE change discussions on the forums in post #11)

Not sure anyone is being juvenile just requesting some accuracy in posting... even Donald Trump would label your OP as "fake news"

Well , it clearly was a tow missile.

Requesting what accuracy? It was a friggin video. It speaks for itself, It was just a simple interest item. So, yes the morons who jump up and down over this were well, not juvenile, toddler like.

Fake news, What are you talking about. It is a missile blowing up ,a tank. What on earth do you ,mean fake news?

It is a youtube video. not some idiotic conspiracy theory. Post 11, well, it was an explosion, and since the 3 sources stated that they used HE, and I know that HEAT does not work as an airburst. I used the term HE. You provided better information.

SO, change the title to Tow missile Explodes NOWHERE near a tank, and the tank blows up, Boom.,

There was no salient point being made, just an interesting video. With a passing interest as it shows the destruction of a big Russian tank.

I am astounded at the childish responses. Demanding accuracy, from a posted youtube video, rather weird and combative.

HeraldricKnight #18 Posted Apr 26 2019 - 02:48

Captain

• Players
  • 8751 battles

View PostscHnuuudle_bop, on Apr 26 2019 - 01:31, said:

Well , it clearly was a tow missile.

Requesting what accuracy? It was a friggin video. It speaks for itself, It was just a simple interest item. So, yes the morons who jump up and down over this were well, not juvenile, toddler like.

Fake news, What are you talking about. It is a missile blowing up ,a tank. What on earth do you ,mean fake news?

It is a youtube video. not some idiotic conspiracy theory. Post 11, well, it was an explosion, and since the 3 sources stated that they used HE, and I know that HEAT does not work as an airburst. I used the term HE. You provided better information.

SO, change the title to Tow missile Explodes NOWHERE near a tank, and the tank blows up, Boom.,

There was no salient point being made, just an interesting video. With a passing interest as it shows the destruction of a big Russian tank.

I am astounded at the childish responses. Demanding accuracy, from a posted youtube video, rather weird and combative.

So you're saying that you posted in the wrong forum and that this thread belongs in off-topic. 

xxBigbacon #19 Posted Apr 26 2019 - 02:51

Major

• -Players-
  • 9599 battles
  • [GNZX1] GNZX1

Why do people argue or use real life things to talk about this game?

scHnuuudle_bop #20 Posted Apr 26 2019 - 02:56

Major

• -Players-
  • 21450 battles

As for topic. Let us see. A forum about a tank game, check. A video about a tank, check. A game about the destruction of tanks, check. A video about the destruction of tanks. Seems pretty on topic to me.

BigBacon, for the 15th time, it is just a video showing a big boom. There was no point being made.

Edited by scHnuuudle_bop, Apr 26 2019 - 02:58.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users