Jump to content


RNG – myths, facts and fictions

#RNG

  • Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

Poll: RNG (88 members have cast votes)

You have to complete 100 battles in order to participate this poll.

Based on how much you win or lose – do you believe your RNG factor is being altered?

  1. Yes (40 votes [45.45%])

    Percentage of vote: 45.45%

  2. No (48 votes [54.55%])

    Percentage of vote: 54.55%

Vote Hide poll

CLAM_Sandwich #1 Posted Apr 25 2019 - 20:20

    Corporal

  • -Players-
  • 22604 battles
  • 50
  • [RD22] RD22
  • Member since:
    05-01-2011
I've heard the theory of a players RNG being effected by the win ratio. For example, if you are winning a bit too much in a certain tank, let's say your win ratio is 54%, the RNG code for your profile get's altered to send you on a bit of a losing streak. All of this is done to keep everyone around the 50% win rate. Fact or fiction? Has this theory ever been tested? 

alphadogg64 #2 Posted Apr 25 2019 - 20:22

    Sergeant

  • Players
  • 1163 battles
  • 103
  • [LOLTR] LOLTR
  • Member since:
    08-17-2012

100% fiction

 

If it were a thing, then 40% winrates wouldn't exist and 60% winrates wouldn't exist.


Edited by alphadogg64, Apr 25 2019 - 20:23.


CLAM_Sandwich #3 Posted Apr 25 2019 - 20:29

    Corporal

  • -Players-
  • 22604 battles
  • 50
  • [RD22] RD22
  • Member since:
    05-01-2011

View Postalphadogg64, on Apr 25 2019 - 20:22, said:

100% fiction

 

If it were a thing, then 40% winrates wouldn't exist and 60% winrates wouldn't exist.

 

Fair enough. Not to say that 40% and 60% rates would be unachievable. It's more of a generalization.  

Tao_Te_Tomato #4 Posted Apr 25 2019 - 20:29

    First lieutenant

  • -Players-
  • 25765 battles
  • 842
  • [TER] TER
  • Member since:
    02-28-2016

Pretty sure it's fiction, but when a sideways facing SkorpG bounces a 140mm AP round from 10 meters away,* it sure is easy to feel like some sort of shenanigans are happening.  But, as they say, "feelz aren't realz."

 

 

*or you put 4 shots in a row into the lower glacis of a TS5, and then everything after that suddenly bounces....



Bad_Oedipus #5 Posted Apr 25 2019 - 20:36

    Captain

  • -Players-
  • 43698 battles
  • 1,561
  • [PL1AD] PL1AD
  • Member since:
    08-09-2014

I had really bad night on Wednesday.  RNG chose woefuller teammates, especially scouts. 

In one battle, our scout got killed by teammates, cause RNG caused him to scout from behind SPGs.  Sadly it was our only scout, and we were bing mudered by invisible tanks and SPGs, while he was getting damaged by.... counter battery fire.

RNG is major cause of lemming train and refusal to use premium rounds against Super Heavy tanks.

 



bad_73 #6 Posted Apr 25 2019 - 20:51

    Sergeant

  • -Players-
  • 1122 battles
  • 174
  • Member since:
    03-16-2019
Been in a few games lately where couldnt get damage one shot and that was using hesh.Either misses or ground or bounces.I always wait for the bloom too.

MCBAIN4EVER #7 Posted Apr 25 2019 - 20:57

    Captain

  • Players
  • 14701 battles
  • 1,714
  • Member since:
    11-19-2013

No but I noticed I get worse teams when I use reserves.

 

/tinfoilhatoff



CLAM_Sandwich #8 Posted Apr 25 2019 - 21:07

    Corporal

  • -Players-
  • 22604 battles
  • 50
  • [RD22] RD22
  • Member since:
    05-01-2011

View PostMCBAIN4EVER, on Apr 25 2019 - 20:57, said:

No but I noticed I get worse teams when I use reserves.

 

/tinfoilhatoff

 

I notice the exact same thing! Especially more than one at a time

Hambijon #9 Posted Apr 25 2019 - 21:09

    Community Coordinator

  • Administrator
  • 3566 battles
  • 471
  • [WGA] WGA
  • Member since:
    07-02-2014
:popcorn:

Tao_Te_Tomato #10 Posted Apr 25 2019 - 21:18

    First lieutenant

  • -Players-
  • 25765 battles
  • 842
  • [TER] TER
  • Member since:
    02-28-2016

View PostMCBAIN4EVER, on Apr 25 2019 - 20:57, said:

No but I noticed I get worse teams when I use reserves.

 

/tinfoilhatoff

 

That's because MM totals up the "value" of all the reserves being run by both sides and adjusts RNG accordingly.  All other things being equal, of course.

 

So, for instance, if I'm running a 50% credits for one hour and you're running 100% credits for one hour, RNGeezus will smile on me and put the <redacted, related to anal coitus> to you.  If I'm running two 50%s, then it takes a look, via tiered logical array, at the computed values of each of our running reserves (and vehicle tiers) and, again, RNGeezus decides which of us gets the heavier boinking.  Likewise, if you're in a Tier VII running a 50% credits and I'm in a Tier VI running 50% credits, you still get the RNGeezus hate.  If I recall correctly, Premium Vehicles get some kind of bonus in regard to the MM allocation of RNGeezus hate, but I don't remember what it is.  I *think* they get counted one or maybe even two tiers lower, but don't hold me to that.

 

Since it is so unlikely that both teams are running exactly the same "valued" reserves, MM doesn't ever bump into any sort of "flip a coin" issue for RNGeezus hate, though I have to wonder if that's what causes the very rare crash of a game at the start of the battle - MM temporarily "dumps" one player out of the game so his reserves don't skew the RNGeezus selection.  This gets made up for since the hate then goes to the other side and the dumped player can usually get back in, to his - and his team's - benefit.

 

No, seriously, that's how it is.  I know a guy who knows a guy who read something that a guy who used to work for WoT put up on a forum that the guy couldn't remember, laying that all out in sordid detail.

 

Really.

 

Honest.

 

Trust me.

 

Please?

:hiding:


Edited by Hambijon, Apr 25 2019 - 21:39.
Why?


YANKEE137 #11 Posted Apr 25 2019 - 21:58

    Major

  • -Players-
  • 12937 battles
  • 5,671
  • [6-ACR] 6-ACR
  • Member since:
    08-17-2015
Wargaming : Masters of intrigue or hapless inept programmers?

Caketime #12 Posted Apr 25 2019 - 22:03

    Staff sergeant

  • -Players-
  • 2049 battles
  • 342
  • [-H-H] -H-H
  • Member since:
    05-06-2016
I think one thing we all have in common is the potential to miss a stationary target when fully aimed.

Hey_Hey_Hey_Its_MAGIC #13 Posted Apr 25 2019 - 22:06

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 43788 battles
  • 540
  • [NEWBI] NEWBI
  • Member since:
    10-09-2011

View PostCLAM_Sandwich, on Apr 25 2019 - 19:20, said:

I've heard the theory of a players RNG being effected by the win ratio. For example, if you are winning a bit too much in a certain tank, let's say your win ratio is 54%, the RNG code for your profile get's altered to send you on a bit of a losing streak. All of this is done to keep everyone around the 50% win rate. Fact or fiction? Has this theory ever been tested? 

 

Personally I think RNG stops being random and starts being rigged for MOEs and personal missions. There is just too many times where my shell is getting absorbed by the gun of the fv4005 or I miss the broadside of a leo 1. Impossible for me to prove other then look at the average damage on certain tanks (which I have only studied two tanks in depth the chimera and obj 260 with a sample size with at least 500 shots kill shots not included) and the percent error is .67 which equals about three damage off. Not enough to make a claim that it is certainly rigged I'll have to do more.

Edited by Hey_Hey_Hey_Its_MAGIC, Apr 25 2019 - 22:08.


Flarvin #14 Posted Apr 25 2019 - 22:11

    Major

  • Players
  • 53644 battles
  • 15,122
  • Member since:
    03-29-2013
Humans and their cognitive biases. lol

Tao_Te_Tomato #15 Posted Apr 25 2019 - 22:12

    First lieutenant

  • -Players-
  • 25765 battles
  • 842
  • [TER] TER
  • Member since:
    02-28-2016

View PostHambijon, on Apr 25 2019 - 21:09, said:

:popcorn:

 

Why?  Because it was funny!  :teethhappy:

 

But I understand the edit.  :(



the_Deadly_Bulb #16 Posted Apr 25 2019 - 23:46

    Major

  • Players
  • 25925 battles
  • 6,331
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT
  • Member since:
    03-11-2014

View PostFlarvin, on Apr 25 2019 - 13:11, said:

Humans and their cognitive biases. lol

 

+1



Doublenut #17 Posted Apr 25 2019 - 23:59

    First lieutenant

  • -Players-
  • 12108 battles
  • 520
  • [DTC] DTC
  • Member since:
    04-29-2017
To tell the truth on this I am no longer sure that there is no manipulation going on. I used to laugh and troll people over claims of rig losing streaks, then it happened to me was .4% of getting a 50%  wr. I kept losing till I got to my median score of 47.8% then I started wining. As of this posting today I am 17 wins for 28 matches.   What to think? I am no longer sure.

alphadogg64 #18 Posted Apr 26 2019 - 00:00

    Sergeant

  • Players
  • 1163 battles
  • 103
  • [LOLTR] LOLTR
  • Member since:
    08-17-2012

View PostDoublenut, on Apr 25 2019 - 22:59, said:

To tell the truth on this I am no longer sure that there is no manipulation going on. I used to laugh and troll people over claims of rig losing streaks, then it happened to me was .4% of getting a 50%  wr. I kept losing till I got to my median score of 47.8% then I started wining. As of this posting today I am 17 wins for 28 matches.   What to think? I am no longer sure.

 

You're probably playing badly. That's what I think.

scHnuuudle_bop #19 Posted Apr 26 2019 - 00:13

    Major

  • -Players-
  • 19942 battles
  • 3,692
  • Member since:
    05-03-2016

View Postalphadogg64, on Apr 26 2019 - 00:00, said:

 

You're probably playing badly. That's what I think.

 

The monkey gallery pipes up again, do you ever have anything useful to add to conversations?

 

My son in law is a programmer. His course included some game design. One of the basic functions of many versions of RNG, especially in shooting game, is to add some uncertainty.

A gunner sneezes, a shot hits a branch of a tree. The loader farts. The aiming system is glitching. etc.

 

Without RNG, it would end up like COD. To miss in that game, you have to do it on purpose. Every shot has laser accuracy. 

RNG also is not a single instance. You do not log on and get your RNG rating for the day. Every calculation they feel needs some uncertainty , RNG is added to that calculation. So, they way he described it. You get a new RNG each shot you make.



alphadogg64 #20 Posted Apr 26 2019 - 00:26

    Sergeant

  • Players
  • 1163 battles
  • 103
  • [LOLTR] LOLTR
  • Member since:
    08-17-2012

View PostscHnuuudle_bop, on Apr 25 2019 - 23:13, said:

 

The monkey gallery pipes up again, do you ever have anything useful to add to conversations?

 

My son in law is a programmer. His course included some game design. One of the basic functions of many versions of RNG, especially in shooting game, is to add some uncertainty.

A gunner sneezes, a shot hits a branch of a tree. The loader farts. The aiming system is glitching. etc.

 

Without RNG, it would end up like COD. To miss in that game, you have to do it on purpose. Every shot has laser accuracy. 

RNG also is not a single instance. You do not log on and get your RNG rating for the day. Every calculation they feel needs some uncertainty , RNG is added to that calculation. So, they way he described it. You get a new RNG each shot you make.

 

Ha! You're so ignorant. The guy said he was at 49.6% winrate, now he is at 47.68% winrate. Newsflash buddy, that isn't down to RNG. Keep peddling your [edited], idiot.





Also tagged with #RNG

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users