Would a Radar feature help improve matches?

MM radar minimap

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

JohnnyO7 #1 Posted Apr 26 2019 - 00:45

Corporal

• Players
  • 13958 battles
  • [11BAT] 11BAT

I had a thought and would like WG and players at large to consider a new feature. I know many complain about MM, me included,  but I believe that poor tactics on a team's part is at the root of many bad matches. One team lemmings to one side just be be flanked and crushed or you push ahead just to be ambushed by "invisible" tanks. 

What if the interface had a radar? That would be an additional UI feature, maybe placed above the minimap or something. The minimap and spotting mechanics remain unaffected but the radar's purpose would be to map out the enemy's force in a general way. A few dots (without revealing tank tiers and types) on the radar could be an incentive to play more as a team and deploy forces more strategically. In the end, hopefully, this should provide more balanced battles. I know it undermines some of the current aspects of the game so perhaps the radar isn't always on but activates at intervals to provide "pulses" and allow teams to adjust to the battle developments while keeping ambush and flanking tactics viable???

Thoughts?

Altwar #2 Posted Apr 26 2019 - 01:01

Major

• Players
  • 57728 battles
  • [-GNR-] -GNR-

View PostJohnnyO7, on Apr 25 2019 - 15:45, said:

I had a thought and would like WG and players at large to consider a new feature. I know many complain about MM, me included,  but I believe that poor tactics on a team's part is at the root of many bad matches. One team lemmings to one side just be be flanked and crushed or you push ahead just to be ambushed by "invisible" tanks. 

What if the interface had a radar? That would be an additional UI feature, maybe placed above the minimap or something. The minimap and spotting mechanics remain unaffected but the radar's purpose would be to map out the enemy's force in a general way. A few dots (without revealing tank tiers and types) on the radar could be an incentive to play more as a team and deploy forces more strategically. In the end, hopefully, this should provide more balanced battles. I know it undermines some of the current aspects of the game so perhaps the radar isn't always on but activates at intervals to provide "pulses" and allow teams to adjust to the battle developments while keeping ambush and flanking tactics viable???

Thoughts?

Thinking something along the lines of the original Alien movie with the crew's tracking devices?

Also sounds like you are thinking along the lines of a "fog of war" mechanism which has been talked to previously, though I don't remember the various conclusions of why/why not.

F4U_wingman #3 Posted Apr 26 2019 - 01:11

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 86143 battles
  • [T-GBU] T-GBU
We can "ping" like on the mini map too :trollface:

death_stryker #4 Posted Apr 26 2019 - 01:12

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 4575 battles
  • [LUCID] LUCID

The game really doesn't need to be dumbed down more than it already has. Over the years, the amount of information available to the player has drastically increased, such that important skills of the past, such as remembering enemy positions and deducing who you were shot by, are now obsolete. This radar mechanic you are proposing would lower the skill ceiling of the game much more than any previous change, so much that it's not a stretch to say that the game may become a pure twitch game.

There is no way to balance this type of mechanic. If it activates too often, it massively lowers the skill ceiling, as mentioned. If it activates too rarely, it doesn't affect gameplay at all, and thus would have no purpose.

To be frank, such a radar feature would mostly be a crutch for players who do not care to learn map positioning and endgame strategy, which is simply an insult to the rest of the playerbase.

tanopasman62 #5 Posted Apr 26 2019 - 02:45

Major

• -Players-
  • 20039 battles
  • [_ADP_] _ADP_

If you think about it, current spotting mechanics are basically a radar.

Your idea won't change much considering most lemming trainers don't look at the map anyway.

HOTA_CHATON #6 Posted Apr 26 2019 - 03:08

Major

• Players
  • 13164 battles
  • [GOLB] GOLB

View PostJohnnyO7, on Apr 25 2019 - 17:45, said:

Thoughts?

Since this is an arcade game and we are trying to make it as realistic as possible, and they didn't have radar for tanks back then?  Nah.

JohnnyO7 #7 Posted Apr 26 2019 - 06:54

Corporal

• Players
  • 13958 battles
  • [11BAT] 11BAT
Yes, my fear is that it wouldn't get used just like the minimap is so often ignored, good point. It is my hope that the extra information about tank movement would spur team play which is lacking rather than dumbing down the play. Hard to say what the end result would be. Thanks all.

dunniteowl #8 Posted Apr 26 2019 - 15:17

Major

• -Players-
  • 29732 battles

I vote no.

It has less to do with realism than it does with the already overwhelming amount of information available to the player.  The Mini-map is GOLD if you learn how to use it properly.  Now that we have a hit indicator that not only tells you where it came from, it now even tells you what kind of ammo it was and which tank fired it -- OMG, that's almost like saying -- LQQK Here!! as far as that goes.  We now have Last Known Spotted Positions of Red Team.

This is in conjunction with a Living, Moving "Real Time" Battle Flow Map of the game in progress that any Real Battle Field Commander would be DROOLING over -- and most people treat it like a side view mirror in their car -- something to occasionally look at to see if their hair is still in order.

That said, Radar is an active method to determine relative position and speed of objects it can locate.  IN a game that HAS NO RADAR CAPABLE UNITS, this would be 'stepping over the line' into complete fantasy land, IMO.

I get that the idea is to provide 'that little bit more' information so some folks can actually have a clue as to what's going on.  THAT said, what makes you think they will have any better an idea if they can't figure out the mini-map, still map spam like a crazy person on meth and complain that 'this team sucks,' because they can't make others do it the way they think they should?  You simply cannot PROVIDE them with what they require until they decide to engage their brains and actually THINK about what's going on as a whole in the first place.

The "radar" idea would be just one more 'piece of junk' from WG as far as these folks are concerned.  It might also be one more thing to complain about, due to their complete lack of situational awareness, that allows them to continue to believe that 'cheating is rampant' and that the other guys must be using hacks.

This is my long-winded way of saying I agree with death_stryker & tanopasman62.

GL, HF & HSYBF!
OvO

JohnnyO7 #9 Posted Apr 26 2019 - 21:04

Corporal

• Players
  • 13958 battles
  • [11BAT] 11BAT
Thanks for the reply, Dunnit, I agree that it would add a level of frustration if tankers chose to ignore yet another source of information at their disposal. I know that would happen for sure. Back to the drawing board! Thanks all.

Also tagged with MM, radar, minimap

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users