What does WG think pairing 40% win rate players with 50%+ is a good idea?

• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

CptShavedBallz #1 Posted Apr 26 2019 - 05:16

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 11167 battles
  • [LONER] LONER

It generates toxicity and frustration amongst players who want to do well in the game. This game is in need of a system similar to League of Legends, where based on your performance you get tiered with players similiar to you (Bronze players with Bronze players, Silver players with Silver players, Gold with Gold, etc). Why do they place you with 11 or sometimes even 14 other players who have no hope of doing anything useful other than dying, sitting in a corner all game, or in general being useless. "Random matchmaking" should not include placing a team of all 40% winrate vs 6 unicums, its miserable for the lower win rate players and will generate anger and frustration for them (specially if its 10-20 losses in a row).

WG, you've probably lost a lot of players thanks to your matchmaker.

Edited by XxXxMaximusxXxX, Apr 27 2019 - 08:30.

Hellsfog #2 Posted Apr 26 2019 - 05:21

Major

• Players
  • 38287 battles

View PostXxXxMaximusxXxX, on Apr 25 2019 - 23:16, said:

It generates toxicity and frustration amongst players who want to do well in the game. This game is in need of a system similar to League of Legends, where based on your performance you get tiered with players similiar to you (Bronze players with Bronze players, Silver players with Silver players, Gold with Gold, etc). Why do they place you with 11 or sometimes even 14 other players who have no hope of doing anything useful other than dying, sitting in a corner all game, or in generally being useless. "Random matchmaking" should not include placing a team of all 40% winrate vs 6 unicums, its miserable for the lower win rate players and will generate anger and frustration for them (specially if its 10-20 losses in a row).

What you describe right there is so unbelievably rare, it sucks the credibility right out of your post.  Relying on win rate as a basis for skilled based MM inevitably pushes everyone towards a 50% win rate.  Don't believe me, try using the search function see just how often this half-baked idea has been discredited. 

CptShavedBallz #3 Posted Apr 26 2019 - 05:28

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 11167 battles
  • [LONER] LONER

View PostHellsfog, on Apr 26 2019 - 05:21, said:

What you describe right there is so unbelievably rare, it sucks the credibility right out of your post.  Relying on win rate as a basis for skilled based MM inevitably pushes everyone towards a 50% win rate.  Don't believe me, try using the search function see just how often this half-baked idea has been discredited. 

That's just 1 example dude, more often than not you will see super swingy games where 1 team massacres the other. Using XVM you will see that the team with most "Green,Blue,Purple" players destroy the team without. I'm going to start screenshooting the results of every battle, I will show you how often the team with better players obviously wins.

BigDollarBillz #4 Posted Apr 26 2019 - 05:32

Major

• Players
  • 38780 battles
  • [SBW] SBW
Maybe the best thing for you to do is find a clan with players that average the stats that you do. Then you can be platooned with similar players which would help you win more. But the MM won't work. I tell my guys this everyday. They don't listen at all.

WhineMaker #5 Posted Apr 26 2019 - 05:37

Major

• Players
  • 38630 battles
  • [WHAAA] WHAAA
Here's a suggestion: Uninstall XVM and pretend everyone is terrible. With this method, you'll never be disappointed ever again... :P

death_stryker #6 Posted Apr 26 2019 - 05:38

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 4575 battles
  • [LUCID] LUCID

View PostXxXxMaximusxXxX, on Apr 25 2019 - 21:16, said:

"Random matchmaking" should not include placing a team of all 40% winrate vs 6 unicums

What do you think "random" means?

This game is in need of a system similar to League of Legends, where based on your performance you get tiered with players similiar to you (Bronze players with Bronze players, Silver players with Silver players, Gold with Gold, etc).

Ranked Battles is a thing. Notice how much fun that mode is.

its miserable for the lower win rate players and will generate anger and frustration for them (specially if its 10-20 losses in a row).

Unbalanced teams and loss streaks suck for all players, not just the lower winrate players. Not really an argument for SBMM.

View PostXxXxMaximusxXxX, on Apr 25 2019 - 21:28, said:

I will show you how often the team with better players obviously wins.

I don't think this needs to be empirically proven; it's necessarily true.

VooDooKobra #7 Posted Apr 26 2019 - 05:45

Major

• Players
  • 10046 battles
  • [MOVE] MOVE

It generates toxicity and frustration amongst players who want to do well in the game. This game is in need of a system similar to League of Legends, where based on your performance you get tiered with players similiar to you (Bronze players with Bronze players, Silver players with Silver players, Gold with Gold, etc). Why do they place you with 11 or sometimes even 14 other players who have no hope of doing anything useful other than dying, sitting in a corner all game, or in generally being useless. "Random matchmaking" should not include placing a team of all 40% winrate vs 6 unicums, its miserable for the lower win rate players and will generate anger and frustration for them (specially if its 10-20 losses in a row).

so you are in favor of a long time in the queue?  tiered sbmm in this game will not work due to the imbalance of the population of different skill levels.  you will end up with the better players waiting much longer for battles, and do you think they will stay when that happens?

Isola_di_Fano #8 Posted Apr 26 2019 - 06:37

Major

• Players
  • 24378 battles

If you have some in the low 40's chances are so does the other team: easy kills then !

And if not wait 'til next game.

I don't see the issue.

Stuff happens.

TankFullOfBourbon #9 Posted Apr 26 2019 - 06:42

Major

• Players
  • 30997 battles
  • [DHO6] DHO6

I had a really great game in my Lansen C the other day, at tier 10. I thoroughly kicked azz and without too much boast I can say that I carried the game to victory in my tier 8 tank. Afterwards, proud of my self I checked the other players, on my and the enemy team. Hardly any top tier player were above 48% win rate. It certainly took away a bit of my glory. This is the issue, there are more players now at high tier with low win rates.

Why are 46% win rate players in tier 10? Well, some have played 50k games and even though they are tomatos they have gotten tier 10 tanks so why shouldn't they play them? But what would be the point of having tier 10 games for <=49% players and other tier 10 games for >49% (or similar)? Would you want to wait in the queue for 10 minutes so that you and 29 others with higher win rates finally could be assembled? And what about me? Should I always have to play against unicums because I am green as an apple?

Doesn't work, mate. Doesn't work.

I_QQ_4_U #10 Posted Apr 26 2019 - 06:59

Major

• -Players-
  • 23410 battles

View PostXxXxMaximusxXxX, on Apr 26 2019 - 05:16, said:

It generates toxicity and frustration amongst players who want to do well in the game. This game is in need of a system similar to League of Legends, where based on your performance you get tiered with players similiar to you

So you want a system that penalizes the best and worst players? Effectively forcing you to be average if you want to keep playing?

Rawrlynn #11 Posted Apr 26 2019 - 07:07

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 32971 battles
  • [-ZOO-] -ZOO-

actually I'd be happy with a team balance instead of  a skill based system.   

it would make people not very happy only fighting people of their own caliber which in turn would hurt them in the long run.   the lower skill players are why there are high skill players.    so instead of stacking  most of the higher skill players on one team, shuffle players from one side to the other to balance out the skill level of both sides  so the matches are more capable of being  good fun matches and not blow outs. Blow outs are only amusing once in a while too many in either side get old fast  winning side, things are melting so fast you may not be able to keep up (depending on your tank)  losing side, your team melts so fast you can't keep up with the offensive. 

Hardball1911 #12 Posted Apr 26 2019 - 09:07

Private

• -Players-
  • 4825 battles
  • [LMB] LMB

There used to be a day in online gaming where people who understood how to win at a particular game took the time to teach and help those who needed it. I have had WOT on my computer(s) almost since day 1. Here are some observations I've made from then until now.

Firstly, I played a LOT of my early games on a computer that was 5-7 years "out of date". I ran settings on low. Why? Because I enjoyed the game, yet due to an illness in my family that required cash payments for chemotherapy, I couldn't afford to upgrade my computer. From the first day I started WOT, I began to experience the attitude from other players that perplexed me. Instead of actually helping another player, it became more and more common for players to become toxic, stat driven a-holes toward anyone they felt superior to. So, I began to take things less seriously and while admittedly wrong, I worked hard to make sure that, as soon as I saw a toxic comment such as "Oh, great another loss..." or, "Another team full of [edited]...", the prediction came true. I would work hard to make sure that I would get spotted right next to the offender so that they would be as well. Push a little too far into the bush and then back away, leaving the offender to take the brunt. It worked often enough for me to feel "vindicated" anyway.

Then the day came that I built a new computer. But by then I had given up on what I thought was going to be a pretty cool game. My personal rating on this account was around 2k, and my win rate was around that despised 45%... oh the humanity, oh what a tragic waste of a good game for me to have been playing it... So I moved on, not really giving it a second thought, and not really caring if any of the players of WOT even existed. With that said, I was happy to say that I couldn't have cared less whether WOT lasted another minute.

Fast forward to the beginning of 2019 when a friend of mine who I have been gaming with since Al Gore invented the internet asked me if I had heard of WOT. "Why yes, yes I have." I warned him that it wasn't like the golden years when we actually would coach a new player so that his Pong playing was able to keep up with us. I warned him that the days of FRIENDLY competition were dead, especially in WOT. After warning him of this, I decided to dust off my "beater" account and give it a go again. Since then, I have noticed that not only had the toxicity survived, but it flourished in an environment where players were more concerned that their stats were going to get fouled up than actually being a human being. These same "players" take the time to type messages to those "45%ers" that they wouldn't dare say to someone else's face for fear of getting their teeth knocked out. Some of these players take the time to send PM's after the match as well. It happened enough that he decided, dare I say, I was right. His exact words were, "Know what? Eff these guys, I've got better stuff to do." Well, you guys got your wish, He uninstalled and moved on.

Quick tip: If you don't like that a medium tank driver isn't going in the proper medium lane, try taking the time to explain "mediums usually go route X, because..." in your after game PM's... Hell, take the time to invite a "45%er" to a training room and attempt to TEACH. Oh, I know... "I had to learn the hard way, so why should I take the time?" Take the time simply because one day, when you least expect it, you will find that you don't have a platform anymore as you've driven anyone who could help support your "hobby" away.Then you'll find that your stats don't really mean squat when you don't have anything to baseline them against. I know, then it would just mean you'd move to another platform to spread the toxicity.

What WOT needs is more teaching and less complaining. What WOT needs is to outright do away with stats, and place more emphasis on teamwork. As in higher rewards for spotting damage, and shared rewards for the same, etc.

As for me, I'm quite content continuing to push and learn at my own pace, even occasionally resorting to the old tried and true tactic of being the intentional hindrance and annoyance. At least on this account. "Oh, great, more tomato soup!" should be "GLHF". Your stats don't mean anything, especially if you are a crappy human being. 

jsn87xi76slk92mc802d7sk1 #13 Posted Apr 26 2019 - 09:08

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 3929 battles

View PostXxXxMaximusxXxX, on Apr 26 2019 - 05:16, said:

they dont care actually

Atragon #14 Posted Apr 26 2019 - 11:27

Major

• Players
  • 44081 battles
  • [FINES] FINES

Little Timmy wants to play tanks and you cant stop him.

They should have a rank system.

Roggg2 #15 Posted Apr 26 2019 - 12:00

Major

• -Players-
  • 22197 battles
  • [D-DAY] D-DAY

View PostXxXxMaximusxXxX, on Apr 25 2019 - 23:16, said:

"Random matchmaking" should not include placing a team of all 40% winrate vs 6 unicums...

Why not?  You know what random means right?  It assembles teams without any regard for the skills or win rates of the players.  This is EXACTLY what you should expect from randomness.  You are asking for WG to abandom randomness and start manipulating the teams.

ThatoneguyKaz #16 Posted Apr 26 2019 - 12:01

Captain

• Players
  • 20516 battles
  • [SNPAI] SNPAI
Its almost as if its random

_Tsavo_ #17 Posted Apr 26 2019 - 12:04

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 46551 battles
  • [RELIC] RELIC
We get the same smattering of teammates and enemies.   What we do with it is up to us.   I find that exceptionally fair. 

PuddleSplasher #18 Posted Apr 26 2019 - 12:24

Major

• Players
  • 39481 battles

View PostXxXxMaximusxXxX, on Apr 26 2019 - 04:28, said:

That's just 1 example dude, more often than not you will see super swingy games where 1 team massacres the other. Using XVM you will see that the team with most "Green,Blue,Purple" players destroy the team without. I'm going to start screenshooting the results of every battle, I will show you how often the team with better players obviously wins.

Yet I beg to differ!!!

Often the team that you would expect to win using the XVM stats of which you talk usually get ROFLstomped.

Just keep in mind that there are many reasons why you need to respect the noobs, beginners etc as you to were one of them.

Cut the players some slack and enjoy your game. :bajan:

ps @_Tsavo_ +1

xXxDeadZombiexXx #19 Posted Apr 26 2019 - 12:26

Major

• Players
  • 41519 battles
  • [SUX] SUX
OP just doesn't realize that 98% of the player base in WoT is just so bad. But those same 98% also think they are the top 2%... until they realize they need to get better, that game are always going to be trash as far as team play.

ColonelShakes #20 Posted Apr 26 2019 - 12:27

Captain

• -Players-
  • 16469 battles
  • [CDN] CDN

View PostHardball1911, on Apr 26 2019 - 09:07, said:

TLDR summary :

I'm an old crap player that tried playing on an old computer, hindering my success and the success of my random teammates, and when I don't like what they say , I actually employ tactics contrary to the terms of service I agreed to when deciding to play the game.  

Then , because my snowflake feelings were hurt,  I became a quitter.  

Then , my snowflake friend joined up , and then he decided to be a quitter as well.  

No one likes a quitter.  

No one likes excuses.  

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users