How do you let players know that it's okay to leave spawn - without causing aggression or discom...

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

Blackstone #21 Posted Apr 26 2019 - 13:04

Major

• -Players-
  • 21957 battles
  • [GFLC] GFLC

View PostBlackFive, on Apr 26 2019 - 06:35, said:

. Yes!  I think you actually get it

For those who still need help:

How to Sarcasm

https://www.google.c...Sarcastic?amp=1

heavymetal1967 #22 Posted Apr 26 2019 - 14:10

Major

• Players
  • 73226 battles
  • [HSOLO] HSOLO

Salmon Cannon to the rescue.

Issues with tankers that won't get off spawn?

Although designed to help get salmon to spawn it can be "turned around" and help get salmon tankers into the fray.

HOTA_CHATON #23 Posted Apr 26 2019 - 14:14

Major

• Players
  • 13611 battles
  • [MSG] MSG

View PostBlackFive, on Apr 25 2019 - 22:35, said:

I'm super sensitive to the feels of the kids these days; they all seem super sensitive to suggestions like:

• "It's okay to shoot red tanks that are lit"

and

• "Please actually play the game"

and

• "What in the living frigging heck are you doing humping rocks you stupid frigging little oxygen thief?!? "

I need some suggestions from those of you in the younger generation who don't appreciate constructive criticism: how do I encourage players to not ...I don't know... waste everyone else's time, and to actually do something - anything - by actually trying to contribute to the group effort?

Seriously?  What do you do to make your fellow kiddos feel safe in actually trying?  I need help here.  I want to respect your safe space - but I'd also like... perhaps a little effort?

You mind your own business and do the best you can.  This game will always have that problem.  As granny said: You can't fix everything in life.

GeorgePreddy #24 Posted Apr 26 2019 - 14:33

Major

• Players
  • 14680 battles

I suggest that you stop thinking you're the boss of anyone in Random Battles.

the_dude_76 #25 Posted Apr 26 2019 - 15:04

Major

• Players
  • 34320 battles
  • [GSRM] GSRM

How do you let players know that it's okay to leave spawn - without causing aggression or discom...

Well judging by your post it seems as though "anger and discomfort" may be your default stance. So I'm pretty sure there is no way for you to communicate with those types of players without causing yourself anger and discomfort. Perhaps a mental health professional would be a better person to ask...

Block Quote

Just an FYI, using sarcasm doesn't make someone any less of a dck. In fact the result is usually the opposite...

heavymetal1967 #26 Posted Apr 26 2019 - 15:16

Major

• Players
  • 73226 battles
  • [HSOLO] HSOLO

View PostBlackstone, on Apr 26 2019 - 07:10, said:

This is laughable and not to be taken seriously.

View PostBlackFive, on Apr 26 2019 - 07:35, said:

. Yes!  I think you actually get it

How to Sarcasm

https://www.google.c...Sarcastic?amp=1

Perhaps a visual is in order?

toesave #27 Posted Apr 26 2019 - 15:21

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 23980 battles
  • [DIXIE] DIXIE

View PostBlackFive, on Apr 26 2019 - 04:35, said:

I'm super sensitive to the feels of the kids these days; they all seem super sensitive to suggestions like:

and

and

• "What in the living frigging heck are you doing humping rocks you stupid frigging little oxygen thief?!? "

I need some suggestions from those of you in the younger generation who don't appreciate constructive criticism: how do I encourage players to not ...I don't know... waste everyone else's time, and to actually do something - anything - by actually trying to contribute to the group effort?

Seriously?  What do you do to make your fellow kiddos feel safe in actually trying?  I need help here.  I want to respect your safe space - but I'd also like... perhaps a little effort?

this is my response ...………………..

I am so sorry my play does not meet your standards.. please feel free to uninstall at this time..i really will not mind at all... have a swell day...

F1O1 #28 Posted Apr 26 2019 - 15:43

Captain

• Players
  • 60 battles
  • [SAMUS] SAMUS

View Post_Tsavo_, on Apr 26 2019 - 11:15, said:

Ignore them and use them as HP pools and vision blocks.   It's a waste of time to try to explain what they are doing is wrong and, even if you're polite about it, they'll not take kindly to suggestions a majority of the time.   So don't bother.   Play your match and use them as tools to further a win. 

This is spot on.

Stupid people, provide a very importance purpose.

With their moronic nature, if they stumble forward and detect things, that is all of you need. Anything else that they contribute is bonus.

Do all great players sit back and let mouth breathing dim witted pubs spot for them? No, for sure not, but in hopeless losses they are a means, a tool, for procuring damage to make a loss feel less than losing. 

lf you watch excellent players streaming, most of them rack up large amounts of assistance. Racking up assistance, is a team player, and generally not considered --sitting back sniping--  But in terrible team deployment and lemming maneuvers, good players spot this very quicly and see the match will be a crap out. They position themselves in ways to maximize thier loss. Which means using their potato friends to their benefit. And it really does not matter, because the dumb as slime potatos don't even realize it

RMxR #29 Posted Apr 26 2019 - 16:06

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 46546 battles

and

and

Capturing the base is also an objective so people who cap are still playing the game. As far as i know the whole team does not receive a credits/xp bonus for destroying all enemy tanks, only those who destroy the last enemies receive a benefit so, why would a player that has no opportunity to kill the last ones, or damage them at least, leave the cap?. The truth is both are being greedy which is part of human nature.

Now, let's assume you want to destroy more enemies because you must complete a mission, a way to convince the team to stop the cap would be telling them:

"Let's kill those campers"

"Let's kill that damn arty"

"Please i have to complete a mission, stop capping"

Of course not everyone will listen to you, and they don't have to. It would be nice if  WG adds a  medal or bonus/achievement for the whole team if they win by killing all enemies, this could give all players an actual reason to not cap (unless it's necessary).

BlackFive #30 Posted Apr 26 2019 - 16:29

Major

• Players
  • 36637 battles
  • [_E_] _E_

I hope some people are as amused as I am with all of serious responses to what should have been an obviously sarcastic OP.

It's humor, folks.  Sarcasm is an invitation for other intelligent people to grin at the absurdity of the world. 

dnaman #31 Posted Apr 26 2019 - 16:33

Captain

• Players
  • 32456 battles
  • [CRZY] CRZY

There are better rocks you can hump over at the red cap!  

The reds will scratch your butt for you if you roll forward a little bit.  

There is a cry room with teddy bears and treats right next to that red cap circle on the map.  

Im sure there are many others.

spud_tuber #32 Posted Apr 26 2019 - 16:34

Major

• Players
  • 59325 battles
But...

I like big rocks..

And my grandfather said I could use his oxyacetylene torch...

I_QQ_4_U #33 Posted Apr 26 2019 - 16:41

Major

• -Players-
  • 23410 battles

View PostBlackFive, on Apr 26 2019 - 12:33, said:

Older people have thicker skin and don't think of every criticism as an aggression. 

Yeah, you'd be surprised.

Tao_Te_Tomato #34 Posted Apr 26 2019 - 16:41

Major

• -Players-
  • 27827 battles
  • [TER] TER

View Postdeath_stryker, on Apr 26 2019 - 05:54, said:

You are trying to reach out to a demographic which is highly unreceptive even to people in positions of authority. Popular culture fosters systematic rebellion by painting it as "cool".

In other words, it's basically impossible. When interacting with us millenials, I think the third option, verbatim, is the best choice. :trollface:

Dayum, Mr. Lamarr.....:ohmy:

1.  For those who thought the OP was funny, I'd agree.

2.  And to those who thought folks like WhineMaker and Tsavo, et. al, had good points, I'd also agree.

3.  To those of you who had horrible ideas, I'd disagree.  Just because.

Humor, especially in writing, can be freakin' tough.....  :unsure:

spud_tuber #35 Posted Apr 26 2019 - 16:42

Major

• Players
  • 59325 battles

View Postdnaman, on Apr 26 2019 - 09:33, said:

There are better rocks you can hump over at the red cap!  

The reds will scratch your butt for you if you roll forward a little bit.  

There is a cry room with teddy bears and treats right next to that red cap circle on the map.  

Im sure there are many others.

I'm afraid, [insert gender neutral term of respect], that said cry room location is not up to code, as access to it requires passing through a hostile environment.   Therefore, I must request that you relocate it next to the green cap at once.

tod914 #36 Posted Apr 26 2019 - 17:10

Major

• Players
  • 64952 battles

Maybe some candy will entice them.

Spoiler

If that doesn't work, then throw a box of these on the objective.

Spoiler

Edited by tod914, Apr 26 2019 - 17:11.

NeatoMan #37 Posted Apr 26 2019 - 17:33

Major

• Players
  • 28209 battles
nm wrong thread

Edited by NeatoMan, Apr 26 2019 - 17:36.

Pipinghot #38 Posted Apr 26 2019 - 18:20

Major

• Players
  • 25960 battles
  • [IOC] IOC

View PostBlackFive, on Apr 25 2019 - 23:35, said:

and

and

I need some suggestions from those of you in the younger generation who don't appreciate constructive criticism

I don't know where you get the idea that this is a generational thing, I'm probably older than you and those comments just make you look like a jerk.

I know you're not a jerk, because I've seen your forum posting, but if I had never seen you before and you posted that garbage in chat I'd assume you were just another know-nothing bonehead like blaming his team for his failures.

Nothing is guaranteed to work because, you know, "random", but it shouldn't be hard to grasp the idea that when you're addressing 14 strangers positive motivation works better than negative. We're not talking about a team that practices together and knows each other, where phrasing and tone don't matter as much. No one owes it to you to listen to you in a Random battle, there are 15 different opinions on how to win (assuming they even care that much about winning, which obviously many people don't) and you don't have any right to assume that people should listen to you. If you want to lead people in a random battle then you have to actually show leadership, and in this specific context leadership means presenting your information in a way that is most likely to get results. Sure it makes you feel good to throw shade, but obviously that's not working out for you or you wouldn't have started this thread in the first place.

The burden of communication lies with the communicator. If you want people to pay attention to you (in the heat of battle) then you need to improve your presentation.

BlackFive #39 Posted Apr 26 2019 - 18:34

Major

• Players
  • 36637 battles
  • [_E_] _E_

View PostPipinghot, on Apr 26 2019 - 18:20, said:

I don't know where you get the idea that this is a generational thing, I'm probably older than you and those comments just make you look like a jerk.

I know you're not a jerk, because I've seen your forum posting, but if I had never seen you before and you posted that garbage in chat I'd assume you were just another know-nothing bonehead like blaming his team for his failures.

Nothing is guaranteed to work because, you know, "random", but it shouldn't be hard to grasp the idea that when you're addressing 14 strangers positive motivation works better than negative. We're not talking about a team that practices together and knows each other, where phrasing and tone don't matter as much. No one owes it to you to listen to you in a Random battle, there are 15 different opinions on how to win (assuming they even care that much about winning, which obviously many people don't) and you don't have any right to assume that people should listen to you. If you want to lead people in a random battle then you have to actually show leadership, and in this specific context leadership means presenting your information in a way that is most likely to get results. Sure it makes you feel good to throw shade, but obviously that's not working out for you or you wouldn't have started this thread in the first place.

The burden of communication lies with the communicator. If you want people to pay attention to you (in the heat of battle) then you need to improve your presentation.

Grin.

I don't actually chat much in games.  I certainly don't bother trying to get someone to do something; I assume they have chat off or will ignore me (as I ignore others griping at me).

I do come here and post outlandish stuff for my own amusement from time to time - and I assume that people are familiar enough with me that they'll know I'm joking.  Usually other forumites get it and join in the fun / find it amusing as well.  OTOH, having people not get it is almost as much fun as when people do get my humor!  I mean, re-read through this (knowing my OP was sarcastic) and see what kind of responses my trolling line caught.

Here's an oldie-but-a-goodie: caught a lot of fish with this one as well:  http://forum.worldoftanks.com/index.php?/topic/587288-strange-correlation-perhaps-has-bearing-on-the-rigging-by-wg/  (rigging thread) I wasn't even that snarky in the OP... but people read the title and wanted to jump all over the presumed rigging (for or against) argument

All in good fun

Edited by BlackFive, Apr 26 2019 - 18:46.

Peak_Bagger #40 Posted Apr 26 2019 - 19:00

Captain

• -Players-
  • 20027 battles
  • [-T1B-] -T1B-

View PostPipinghot, on Apr 26 2019 - 18:20, said:

This is great advice! I always try to play along those lines but sometimes I fail. In a game just last night, our top tier heavy started raging in all caps right from the countdown about what a terrible game this was. He kept on raging for the first 2 minutes of the battle. I typed "Less crying, more shooting". I got some "lols" from teammates. But he responded "I'm out" and went AFK. At least he didn't shoot me. But yeah, I should have just ignored him. 

My experience is that most people in this game are a good bunch. They want to win, do their best, have a good time, etc. Heck, send a positive message to someone post-game and any reply you get is always positive. But there are just some that are a little unhinged, for whatever reason. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users