How do you let players know that it's okay to leave spawn - without causing aggression or discom...

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

NeatoMan #41 Posted Apr 26 2019 - 19:28

Major

• Players
  • 28198 battles

View PostBlackFive, on Apr 26 2019 - 06:33, said:

Older people have thicker skin and don't think of every criticism as an aggression.

you'd never know looking at some of the twitter feeds coming out of our elder statesmen.

BlackFive #42 Posted Apr 26 2019 - 19:44

Major

• Players
  • 36537 battles
  • [_E_] _E_

View PostNeatoMan, on Apr 26 2019 - 19:28, said:

you'd never know looking at some of the twitter feeds coming out of our elder statesmen.

Grin!  You win one Internet!

dunniteowl #43 Posted Apr 26 2019 - 19:48

Major

• -Players-
  • 31544 battles

For those that are too sensitive, I have found that deception is always a good effort.  Most times, I have tied to the back of my tank a long chain with a sign on it that says, "Free XP and Damage, Follow ME!" and trundle off to where they need to go.

It works better than a Wiley Coyote Sign that says, "Free Food!" for the Roadrunner.  It helps to have chew toys and fake mice on it as well, plus colorful streamers for the "My Little Pony" crowd.

OvO

the_dude_76 #44 Posted Apr 27 2019 - 04:14

Major

• Players
  • 34307 battles
  • [GSRM] GSRM

View PostBlackFive, on Apr 26 2019 - 09:29, said:

I hope some people are as amused as I am with all of serious responses to what should have been an obviously sarcastic OP.

It's humor, folks.  Sarcasm is an invitation for other intelligent people to grin at the absurdity of the world. 

Sarcasm doesn't translate in a venue full of blathering idiocy. When people make such posts in all earnest all of the time how can you expect anyone to know that yours isn't just the next in a long line of such posts??

Pipinghot #45 Posted Apr 27 2019 - 05:50

Major

• Players
  • 25960 battles
  • [IOC] IOC

View PostBlackFive, on Apr 26 2019 - 10:29, said:

I hope some people are as amused as I am with all of serious responses to what should have been an obviously sarcastic OP.

It's humor, folks.  Sarcasm is an invitation for other intelligent people to grin at the absurdity of the world. 

Sorry your joke didn't work as you had hoped, but the problem in this case is that your sarcasm/irony/satire looks exactly like a lot of serious posts that say the exact same things. It didn't look particularly outrageous and certainly didn't come across as being tongue-in-cheek. Your OP reads like a copy/paste of a bunch of other posts we've all seen on these forums that were all completely sincere. There are so many boneheaded posts which are rooted in inter-generational warfare that it makes it awfully difficult to discern when someone is joking. Your post wasn't absurd enough to stick out as being satirical, and you didn't provide any flags to indicate you were joking, it looked just like any other post from any grumpy old man ridiculing "kids today". This happens even to professional satirists who are much more absurd than you were (e.g. The Onion and Andy Borowitz, just to name two examples), so you shouldn't too surprised that your mild irony flew under the radar.

If it looks just like a duck and quacks just like a duck, how are you supposed to tell that it's making fun of a duck?

BlackFive #46 Posted Apr 27 2019 - 13:05

Major

• Players
  • 36537 battles
  • [_E_] _E_

View Postthe_dude_76, on Apr 27 2019 - 04:14, said:

Sarcasm doesn't translate in a venue full of blathering idiocy. When people make such posts in all earnest all of the time how can you expect anyone to know that yours isn't just the next in a long line of such posts??

View PostPipinghot, on Apr 27 2019 - 05:50, said:

Sorry your joke didn't work as you had hoped, but the problem in this case is that your sarcasm/irony/satire looks exactly like a lot of serious posts that say the exact same things. It didn't look particularly outrageous and certainly didn't come across as being tongue-in-cheek. Your OP reads like a copy/paste of a bunch of other posts we've all seen on these forums that were all completely sincere. There are so many boneheaded posts which are rooted in inter-generational warfare that it makes it awfully difficult to discern when someone is joking. Your post wasn't absurd enough to stick out as being satirical, and you didn't provide any flags to indicate you were joking, it looked just like any other post from any grumpy old man ridiculing "kids today". This happens even to professional satirists who are much more absurd than you were (e.g. The Onion and Andy Borowitz, just to name two examples), so you shouldn't too surprised that your mild irony flew under the radar.

If it looks just like a duck and quacks just like a duck, how are you supposed to tell that it's making fun of a duck?

These are good notes - and I will concede that I may have cut a bit close to the bone with this one.

But I also have to admit that it would take some of the fun out of it to have to write in a 'Sarcasm' font or to have to flag it.  In fact doing something like that would take it out of the realm of sarcasm/absurdity and thrust it into parody.

You mentioned 'The Onion' which is important b/c they specialize in this.  The Onion's Sarcasm comedy works best when it looks like the real thing.  Like when Kim Jeong Un cites them as a source.  You have to confuse some people / allow for the possibility that some won't get it at first glance for the thing to work as humor. 

...otherwise you might as well just stick to fart jokes 

Pipinghot #47 Posted Apr 27 2019 - 13:44

Major

• Players
  • 25960 battles
  • [IOC] IOC

View PostBlackFive, on Apr 27 2019 - 07:05, said:

You have to confuse some people / allow for the possibility that some won't get it at first glance for the thing to work as humor. 

True, very true. I've never been compared to Kim Jeong Un before, but I guess there's a first time for everything and I'm going to have to eat this one. #Ifellforit

Tao_Te_Tomato #48 Posted Apr 27 2019 - 14:58

Major

• -Players-
  • 27762 battles
  • [TER] TER

View PostBlackFive, on Apr 27 2019 - 13:05, said:

These are good notes - and I will concede that I may have cut a bit close to the bone with this one.

But I also have to admit that it would take some of the fun out of it to have to write in a 'Sarcasm' font or to have to flag it.  In fact doing something like that would take it out of the realm of sarcasm/absurdity and thrust it into parody.

You mentioned 'The Onion' which is important b/c they specialize in this.  The Onion's Sarcasm comedy works best when it looks like the real thing.  Like when Kim Jeong Un cites them as a source.  You have to confuse some people / allow for the possibility that some won't get it at first glance for the thing to work as humor. 

...otherwise you might as well just stick to fart jokes 

Some of the "problem" lies in the audience.  People who Take Everything Seriously, Even Fart Jokes (My uncle's friend's cousin's landlord's daughter's boyfriend died from terminal flatulence, farts are no laughing matter!) view things differently than those of us on Team Irreverence (Wait. You were SERIOUS about that????).  Team Irreverence does take an arguably legitimate hit for laughing at the unlaughable.  That said, though, I'm still siding with the idea that "it's better to think things are funny" than the alternative.

Different strokes, different folks.

dunniteowl #49 Posted Apr 27 2019 - 18:13

Major

• -Players-
  • 31544 battles

Well I hope, in all seriousness, my first response provided all the irreverence it was intended to receive?  I'm pretty sure I delivered.  I take my sarcastic humor very seriously.

OvO

Boghie #50 Posted Apr 27 2019 - 18:27

Captain

• -Players-
  • 8703 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

View Postdunniteowl, on Apr 26 2019 - 13:48, said:

For those that are too sensitive, I have found that deception is always a good effort.  Most times, I have tied to the back of my tank a long chain with a sign on it that says, "Free XP and Damage, Follow ME!" and trundle off to where they need to go.

It works better than a Wiley Coyote Sign that says, "Free Food!" for the Roadrunner.  It helps to have chew toys and fake mice on it as well, plus colorful streamers for the "My Little Pony" crowd.

OvO

Someone should make a Mod for that.  

I mean, they can make tank skins - why not a "Come and get some XP with me!!!" sign.

Then again, it would be banned by Wargaming because it would generate an advantage you could not attain using the plain vanilla client.

13Jake55 #51 Posted Apr 27 2019 - 18:53

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 21087 battles
3 man Platoon. 

sargev55 #52 Posted Apr 27 2019 - 19:39

Captain

• Players
  • 60638 battles
  • [_CIA_] _CIA_

I usually insult their intelligence and say something that is either amusing or humorous.

Unfortunately half the time they don't speak English so my efforts were wasted.

sargev55 #53 Posted Apr 27 2019 - 19:48

Captain

• Players
  • 60638 battles
  • [_CIA_] _CIA_
"I mean, they can make tank skins - why not a "Come and get some XP with me!!!" sign."

They do, its any player with a name ending in  __BR,

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users