Friendly Fire

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

TankFullOfBourbon #1 Posted Apr 26 2019 - 07:34

Major

• Players
  • 30892 battles
  • [DHO6] DHO6

I have seen post where seemingly intelligent players have argued for removing team damage. Seemingly intelligent. Still, an utterly stupid suggestion. 

First of all, let's stop calling it Team damage and Team killing. It's Friendly Fire. It's fire from a friend, made in a friendly way. Team damage and team kills sounds so grim and negative. Why should we look at it that way?  It's not the team that damages you, it's not the 14 other players that ganged up to give you one. It's a friend that fired at you, that's all. And historically, it's one of the most common ways to die in war. What I am trying to say here is that Friendly Fire is historically accurate, be it by mistake, deliberate, through sheer incompetence or out of mercy. You could almost say that Friendly Fire is something you can be a little bit proud of. And WG makes sure you are compensated for it too.

And the best thing. The friends among us who regularly and persistently do Friendly Fire will sooner or later through the automated system be banned, and thus no longer a friend, ie blue. And it's not Friendly Fire to shoot a blue tank.

So community, let's stop this nonsense. Let's talk Friendly Fire instead of Team Damage and Team Kills. Be positive.

KaiserWilhelmShatner #2 Posted Apr 26 2019 - 07:57

Major

• Players
  • 16773 battles
  • [PSYCO] PSYCO
No.

TankFullOfBourbon #3 Posted Apr 26 2019 - 08:01

Major

• Players
  • 30892 battles
  • [DHO6] DHO6
But yes.

Rawrlynn #4 Posted Apr 26 2019 - 08:03

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 32910 battles
  • [-ZOO-] -ZOO-

View PostTankFullOfBourbon, on Apr 26 2019 - 07:34, said:

I have seen post where seemingly intelligent players have argued for removing team damage. Seemingly intelligent. Still, an utterly stupid suggestion. 

First of all, let's stop calling it Team damage and Team killing. It's Friendly Fire. It's fire from a friend, made in a friendly way. Team damage and team kills sounds so grim and negative. Why should we look at it that way?  It's not the team that damages you, it's not the 14 other players that ganged up to give you one. It's a friend that fired at you, that's all. And historically, it's one of the most common ways to die in war. What I am trying to say here is that Friendly Fire is historically accurate, be it by mistake, deliberate, through sheer incompetence or out of mercy. You could almost say that Friendly Fire is something you can be a little bit proud of. And WG makes sure you are compensated for it too.

And the best thing. The friends among us who regularly and persistently do Friendly Fire will sooner or later through the automated system be banned, and thus no longer a friend, ie blue. And it's not Friendly Fire to shoot a blue tank.

So community, let's stop this nonsense. Let's talk Friendly Fire instead of Team Damage and Team Kills. Be positive.

they don't compensate enough for being Hugged to death by your team mates.....   

it's team killing because of those 29 other people in that battle.... not one is your friend.... they are all out to get you killed. 

O_P_Hacker #5 Posted Apr 26 2019 - 08:06

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 32469 battles
  • [Y0L0] Y0L0
How much was that bothering you? How many nights you couldn't sleep because of this

JakeTheMystic #6 Posted Apr 26 2019 - 08:09

Major

• Players
  • 24982 battles
  • [OPIC] OPIC

Team damage and team kills serve a purpose in a competitive format, they can cost a team the win due to their lack of aim. Just earlier tonight we had a combined around 2.5k damage to allies on himmelsdork because the team wasn't aiming too well. 

In pubs on the other hand, it serves no purpose and only leads to toxicity. If removed, people will just be toxic in other ways (arty stunning allies, ramming, pushing from cover, ect.) You can report them sure, but its a free to play and people will just make troll accounts and punish people in lower tiers, driving away new players. 

scHnuuudle_bop #7 Posted Apr 26 2019 - 08:29

Major

• -Players-
  • 21421 battles

Honestly, how many times in say your last 1000 battles were you damaged or killed by a teammate on purpose?

I can safely  say, just once. That was only because I got between two other kids mad because of a parking lot bump.

SInce the 9.18 update, for me it has gone from being damaged every 4 or 5 games, TK'd every 20 games or so. Sworn at and rammed and pushed, pretty well every 3 or 4 games.

The only not so friendly fire I have seen in ages has been at the armoured cars. Even that, I have not seen since their first couple of weeks.

I think the friendly fire or whatever should stay. I see little toxicity with friendly fire. Most of the time there is an apology. 

The damage to the teammate is usually not intentional, and just bad shooting or a bad random number for that shot. It adds complexity to the game. Players have to learn to be careful and cautious.

I hope they keep it, a good change would be to  increase the penalties by a huge amount. Make my poor aim really cost, not the chump change paid out now. 

PuddleSplasher #8 Posted Apr 26 2019 - 12:06

Major

• Players
  • 39405 battles
  • [6-ACR] 6-ACR
Who cares what it's called. Damage is damage wether intentional or otherwise. :child:

Dratt_Dastardly #9 Posted Apr 26 2019 - 12:20

Major

• Players
  • 29087 battles

The act of it, yeah I can easily call it friendly fire if I'm involved in either end.  But being team based play, describing it as team damage/kill makes sense.

And those people that want team damage removed, I don't think that's a good idea.  Those artillery whining heavy tank players are going to be so much more miserable.  Shells will be dropped on them no matter if they are hugging the enemy.  Derp guns would do the same.  And how many would go ahead and shoot their teammates' turret/hull sides in order to try bounce the rounds around corners?

Zombie_Snuggles #10 Posted Apr 26 2019 - 12:31

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 27212 battles

I hope you are being sarcastic,  if not what a load of BS!

WeSayNotToday #11 Posted Apr 26 2019 - 12:44

Captain

• -Players-
  • 23789 battles

*golf clap*

xtc4 #12 Posted Apr 26 2019 - 13:08

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 27725 battles
  • [DHO-X] DHO-X
I haven't formulated a strong opinion on this one. But the devil is in the details. Depending on how the mechanic changes, the gameplay could change substantially. Various tanks could get substantially more or less powerful. This is not necessarily a minor change.

__Badfinger__ #13 Posted Apr 26 2019 - 13:36

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 33096 battles
  • [NOBA] NOBA
I see absolutely no value in having team damage enabled. Any realism theories go right out the door due to RNG taking skill right out the door in critical moments. All it does, is enable moron's to disrupt the game killing their own teams mates on purpose. FL has it turned off, and FL is probably the most popular mode this game has ever introduced. 

Edited by __Badfinger__, Apr 26 2019 - 13:39.

ArmorStorm #14 Posted Apr 26 2019 - 13:47

Major

• Players
  • 37704 battles
  • [F__R] F__R
Incoming shells, no matter the source, are never “friendly”!

heavymetal1967 #15 Posted Apr 26 2019 - 13:55

Major

• Players
  • 73076 battles
  • [HSOLO] HSOLO

https://thedailybounce.net/world-of-tanks/world-of-tanks-developers-qa-march-2019/

Are plans to tackle team damage issues, both involving arty and in general?

We tried it disabling team damage in Frontline and now plan larger testing. If it works out, chances are high that team damage will be disabled for good in the 2nd half of 2019.

F1O1 #16 Posted Apr 26 2019 - 15:34

Captain

• Players
  • 60 battles
  • [SAMUS] SAMUS

Not all friendly fire is accidental, military conventional f-r-i-e-n-d-l-y fire. 

Much of it, is purposely done spiteful team damage.

Straying and driving in front of allies in gunners sights, shots that veer off target into an ally, artillery splashing effects, accidents in face-hugs

These are friendly fire.

Spawning and in 5 seconds reloading and team killing your arty.

This is team damage. 

There are a large number of difference. lntent largely being the biggest

toesave #17 Posted Apr 26 2019 - 15:49

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 23954 battles
  • [DIXIE] DIXIE
team damage is fixed easily by not allowing it..  they put it in frontlines so they must have seen the masses avoiding frontlines... to many TK'S.   I like to see the player doing the shooting get the damage he would have done to the receiver.  as well as paying him for the damage he would have gotten..   it would cost you dearly to shoot at a teammate.....

SwollenOstrich #18 Posted Apr 26 2019 - 15:52

Captain

• Players
  • 25026 battles

I feels there is a negative connotation with the word "fire."

I propose we start calling it "beautiful, fluffy, sparkly, friendly patootie pats with extra sugar."

Rawrlynn #19 Posted Apr 26 2019 - 16:00

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 32910 battles
  • [-ZOO-] -ZOO-

View Post__Badfinger__, on Apr 26 2019 - 13:36, said:

I see absolutely no value in having team damage enabled. Any realism theories go right out the door due to RNG taking skill right out the door in critical moments. All it does, is enable moron's to disrupt the game killing their own teams mates on purpose. FL has it turned off, and FL is probably the most popular mode this game has ever introduced. 

actually, if you look at total server numbers they drop drastically during FL.   if they boosted the credits gained from a pubbie battle there would be more people playing pubbies.  the rewards are the ONLY thing that gets people to play FL. so I wouldn't say popular, I'd say profitable.  

I know almost all the people I know in this game despise FL for several reasons,  first only 1 map,  second people play stupidly and people can't reap the benefits of drawing the game out as long as possible (i.e. letting the attacking team cap in the last second to increase the time the game goes on so everyone can farm more rank and better rewards, attacking team kills 2 of the objectives and draws the kill of the last one out as long as possible... everyone wins) third is pubbies tend to be really horrible during FL. 

the reason FL has it turned off is because some of you need to be TK'd to stop doing what you are doing that makes FL a bad place. 

Tao_Te_Tomato #20 Posted Apr 26 2019 - 16:12

Major

• -Players-
  • 27742 battles
  • [TER] TER

View PostscHnuuudle_bop, on Apr 26 2019 - 08:29, said:

Honestly, how many times in say your last 1000 battles were you damaged or killed by a teammate on purpose?

Just last night, in fact, but in fairness most damage I've suffered lately has been of the "accidental" sort.  Other than what those nasty red <redacted, relating to unknown paternity>s do to me.  Prety sure that's intentional on their part.

Of course, the're's "accidental" and there's "stupid."  I'm looking at arty who drops one into the middle of a furball because he wants his points and <redacted, relating to coitus> his groupmates.  Those people can burn in the Lower Regions.

Oh, and it's "Intentional Infliction Of HP Distress."  :hiding:

Also tagged with Friendly Fire

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users