Friendly Fire

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

latvius #21 Posted Apr 26 2019 - 16:38

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 35170 battles
  • [FINES] FINES

I'm more worried about what griefers will do if team damage is turned off.  At least with it on when some jerk starts messing with me I can fire back.  It works in FL because FL is a never ending shoot fest.  If your tank gets whacked because a jerk pushes you out into enemy fire no problem just get in your new tank and go somewhere else.  Not so in a pub where wins matter and stats are tracked and you have only one life.

They should keep team damage but make the penalty cost way more silver, like maybe 5 times or more.

TankFullOfBourbon #22 Posted Apr 26 2019 - 17:29

Major

• Players
  • 31243 battles
  • [DHO6] DHO6

View PostPuddleSplasher, on Apr 26 2019 - 12:06, said:

Who cares what it's called. Damage is damage wether intentional or otherwise. :child:

You are missing the point. No more of them negative vibes, man.

View PostSwollenOstrich, on Apr 26 2019 - 15:52, said:

I feels there is a negative connotation with the word "fire."

I propose we start calling it "beautiful, fluffy, sparkly, friendly patootie pats with extra sugar."

This is just like. Sparkly fire, that's my kind of style.

TankFullOfBourbon #23 Posted Apr 26 2019 - 17:32

Major

• Players
  • 31243 battles
  • [DHO6] DHO6

View Post__Badfinger__, on Apr 26 2019 - 13:36, said:

I see absolutely no value in having team damage enabled. Any realism theories go right out the door due to RNG taking skill right out the door in critical moments. All it does, is enable moron's to disrupt the game killing their own teams mates on purpose. FL has it turned off, and FL is probably the most popular mode this game has ever introduced. 

You are obviously drunk. The community is quickly realizing FL is the most boring thing since Historic Battles and trust you me it won't last the calendar year. But to be fair, Friendly Fire has nothing to do with it. FL is dying because it is sickly repetitive, thus boring.

TankFullOfBourbon #24 Posted Apr 26 2019 - 17:35

Major

• Players
  • 31243 battles
  • [DHO6] DHO6

View PostscHnuuudle_bop, on Apr 26 2019 - 08:29, said:

Honestly, how many times in say your last 1000 battles were you damaged or killed by a teammate on purpose?

I can safely  say, just once. That was only because I got between two other kids mad because of a parking lot bump.

SInce the 9.18 update, for me it has gone from being damaged every 4 or 5 games, TK'd every 20 games or so. Sworn at and rammed and pushed, pretty well every 3 or 4 games.

The only not so friendly fire I have seen in ages has been at the armoured cars. Even that, I have not seen since their first couple of weeks.

I think the friendly fire or whatever should stay. I see little toxicity with friendly fire. Most of the time there is an apology. 

The damage to the teammate is usually not intentional, and just bad shooting or a bad random number for that shot. It adds complexity to the game. Players have to learn to be careful and cautious.

I hope they keep it, a good change would be to  increase the penalties by a huge amount. Make my poor aim really cost, not the chump change paid out now. 

View Postlatvius, on Apr 26 2019 - 16:38, said:

I'm more worried about what griefers will do if team damage is turned off.  At least with it on when some jerk starts messing with me I can fire back.  It works in FL because FL is a never ending shoot fest.  If your tank gets whacked because a jerk pushes you out into enemy fire no problem just get in your new tank and go somewhere else.  Not so in a pub where wins matter and stats are tracked and you have only one life.

They should keep team damage but make the penalty cost way more silver, like maybe 5 times or more.

You both are thinking creatively and positively. Yes, why not up the damage cost? That's fair. You ruined someone's game with your Friendly Fire, now you gotta pay. Cashing.

TankFullOfBourbon #25 Posted Apr 26 2019 - 17:36

Major

• Players
  • 31243 battles
  • [DHO6] DHO6

View PostRawrlynn, on Apr 26 2019 - 16:00, said:

actually, if you look at total server numbers they drop drastically during FL.   if they boosted the credits gained from a pubbie battle there would be more people playing pubbies.  the rewards are the ONLY thing that gets people to play FL. so I wouldn't say popular, I'd say profitable.  

I know almost all the people I know in this game despise FL for several reasons,  first only 1 map,  second people play stupidly and people can't reap the benefits of drawing the game out as long as possible (i.e. letting the attacking team cap in the last second to increase the time the game goes on so everyone can farm more rank and better rewards, attacking team kills 2 of the objectives and draws the kill of the last one out as long as possible... everyone wins) third is pubbies tend to be really horrible during FL. 

the reason FL has it turned off is because some of you need to be TK'd to stop doing what you are doing that makes FL a bad place. 

This^

TankFullOfBourbon #26 Posted Apr 26 2019 - 17:42

Major

• Players
  • 31243 battles
  • [DHO6] DHO6

Yesterday I got shot in the back by an Excalibur. He said he was sorry. I was a bit pissed off, but what the heck, it was a mistake. The guy is having a great game. It was friendly fire. 

http://wotreplays.eu/site/4863157#westfield-tankfullofbourbon-leo

PuddleSplasher #27 Posted Apr 26 2019 - 19:07

Major

• Players
  • 39643 battles

View PostTankFullOfBourbon, on Apr 26 2019 - 06:34, said:

I have seen post where seemingly intelligent players have argued for removing team damage.

GreAT TROLL m8

RedBaron92 #28 Posted Apr 27 2019 - 00:18

Corporal

• Players
  • 7920 battles

I actually think the Warships dev team hit it on the head with dealing with friendly fire.  It starts with the same sort of repair penalty that WoT uses, but when you hit the threshold where you change color (in warships you turn pink instead of blue) all friendly fire is reflected back at you without damaging the ally further.  Once you've turned pink not only is friendly fire reflected, it's also amplified.  So if you keep doing it you'll only end up killing yourself.

Another interesting change is that pink players are still considered friends to their teammates, so there's no incentive to instantly murder a teammate who spawns with a TK penalty.  Gives the careless player a bit more of a chance to prove that they've learned their lesson.

Son_of_the_South #29 Posted Apr 27 2019 - 11:44

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 14657 battles
  • [PJ] PJ

View PostJakeTheMystic, on Apr 26 2019 - 02:09, said:

Team damage and team kills serve a purpose in a competitive format, they can cost a team the win due to their lack of aim. Just earlier tonight we had a combined around 2.5k damage to allies on himmelsdork because the team wasn't aiming too well. 

In pubs on the other hand, it serves no purpose and only leads to toxicity. If removed, people will just be toxic in other ways (arty stunning allies, ramming, pushing from cover, ect.) You can report them sure, but its a free to play and people will just make troll accounts and punish people in lower tiers, driving away new players. 

Arty stunning, ramming, and pushing exist and are widely used in addition to the team damage. The "automated" team damage mechanism is a farce and is laughed at by those who use team damage to punish.

Mojo_Riesing #30 Posted Apr 27 2019 - 14:07

Captain

• Players
  • 20406 battles
  • [ACATS] ACATS

View PostRedBaron92, on Apr 26 2019 - 15:18, said:

I actually think the Warships dev team hit it on the head with dealing with friendly fire.  It starts with the same sort of repair penalty that WoT uses, but when you hit the threshold where you change color (in warships you turn pink instead of blue) all friendly fire is reflected back at you without damaging the ally further.  Once you've turned pink not only is friendly fire reflected, it's also amplified.  So if you keep doing it you'll only end up killing yourself.

Another interesting change is that pink players are still considered friends to their teammates, so there's no incentive to instantly murder a teammate who spawns with a TK penalty.  Gives the careless player a bit more of a chance to prove that they've learned their lesson.

This is actually a viable answer here.  A variation on it might be that the player shot (or rammed) and taking actual damage...takes none, but the shooter takes a fine, and if it repeats the fine should ramp up.  This puts it squarely on the negligent or even belligerent player, not the victim who goes on his/her merry way like nothing happened.

g327 #31 Posted Apr 27 2019 - 15:08

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 18176 battles

View PostRedBaron92, on Apr 26 2019 - 18:18, said:

View PostMojo_Riesing, on Apr 27 2019 - 08:07, said:

This is actually a viable answer here.  A variation on it might be that the player shot (or rammed) and taking actual damage...takes none, but the shooter takes a fine, and if it repeats the fine should ramp up.  This puts it squarely on the negligent or even belligerent player, not the victim who goes on his/her merry way like nothing happened.

Thanks Red, didn't know that. It's a much better process than how WoT addresses the issue.

I would add one variation to Mojo's idea: the HP that would have been lost by the target are assessed to the shooter's tank.

I concede that might be a bit harsh in an unintentional damage/kill situation but the current penalty treats intentional/unintentional acts is assessed equally.

We all realize that the occurrences of either type of team damage/kill is relatively low and we generally accept that unintentional damage/kill happens as part of the game. It is, however, the intentional act of team damage/kill that bothers many of us.

Blending all of the above might be the closest to the best way of handling team damage/kill, especially when the damage/kill is intentional. At worst, it would be an effective disincentive for a player to intentionally damage/kill a teammate.

Only the biggest knuckleheads would try to damage/kill a teammate knowing that s/he would lose HP and incur fines while the target plays on undamaged. 

Edited by g327, Apr 27 2019 - 15:17.

J3FF3RY #32 Posted Jul 23 2019 - 07:20

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 16081 battles
  • [NXGEN] NXGEN
I wouldn't call the guy pushing me into enemy fire that i shot a friend

Also tagged with Friendly Fire

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users