How bad is the light tank grind?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Ronick #1 Posted Apr 29 2019 - 04:01

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 2647 battles

I've always wanted to go down a light tank tree, but I've always felt in the back of my mind that the grind was likely terrible. Light tanks seem more so than any other type of tank to rely strongly on crew skills and equipment, and when I'm grinding through lines it's rare for me to get a fully trained crew until MAYBE tier 7.

Is this the reality? I'm strongly considering going down the Soviet light tank tree and really want to do some scouting, but the grind does look god awful until you're able to get a couple crew skills and mount some equipment.

tod914 #2 Posted Apr 29 2019 - 04:48

Major

• Players
  • 64844 battles

This guy has a ton of videos pertaining to lights.  Time well spent.

https://www.youtube....h?v=bGZEZmqwfkc

PotatoLegend99 #3 Posted Apr 29 2019 - 04:49

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 35389 battles

It's easy. If your crew is bad and your tank is stock, use a camo net and binocs to get the most out of passive spotting. Light tanks get the highest XP bonuses out of all the classes and between spotting dmg and tracking dmg, you'll be getting pretty quickly.

Up to tier 5 the German line has the best scouts to play and it's low risk since you're only facing low tier opponents.

The American and French lines are a blast to play from tier 5 and up, especially if you like autoloaders.

Soviet line hands down dominates from tier 8 and up.

EBR 105 is currently the ultimate light tank in the game, but the grind is awful, and the tank will need improved equipment and food.

Panzerkind #4 Posted Apr 29 2019 - 04:53

Major

• Players
  • 37086 battles
  • [YOUJO] YOUJO

In my opinion, light tanks are often the easiest grinds because you rely less on your gun in the first place so the inability to penetrate higher tier opponents with stock guns is less of an issue when you have the ability to use your mobility to always have opportunities to flank them. 

stalkervision #5 Posted Apr 29 2019 - 07:52

Major

• Players
  • 69366 battles
Chinese lights are great and easy to grind.

SquishySupreme #6 Posted Apr 29 2019 - 08:04

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 3672 battles
Easiest grind are TDs, XP-wise.  Second are LTs.  Most come with a good gun and enough speed to at least harass the enemy.  Mediums and Heavies suck rocks in stock form, being almost laughably bad.

MiddleAgedNoob #7 Posted Apr 29 2019 - 18:26

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 18375 battles
  • [MARV] MARV

View PostPotatoLegend99, on Apr 28 2019 - 22:49, said:

It's easy. If your crew is bad and your tank is stock, use a camo net and binocs to get the most out of passive spotting. Light tanks get the highest XP bonuses out of all the classes and between spotting dmg and tracking dmg, you'll be getting pretty quickly.

Up to tier 5 the German line has the best scouts to play and it's low risk since you're only facing low tier opponents.

The American and French lines are a blast to play from tier 5 and up, especially if you like autoloaders.

Soviet line hands down dominates from tier 8 and up.

EBR 105 is currently the ultimate light tank in the game, but the grind is awful, and the tank will need improved equipment and food.

I would agree with this, and underline that with French tracked lights, the Commander doubles as the Radio Operator.  This makes it a long grind to get 6th, and Camo, and SA and Recon.  French lights also generally have worst in class base VR, compounding the problem.  Binos are definitely a real option for French lights, especially when you don't have very skilled crews.

GLHF

Edited by MiddleAgedNoob, Apr 29 2019 - 18:30.

SquishySupreme #8 Posted Apr 29 2019 - 23:21

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 3672 battles
German LTs are excellent scouts.  No armor, but excellent.  No, really, a UPS truck has more metal on the sides than most of their LTs.  

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users