1000 games played, map tracking statistic results!

maps statistics tier X data

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

_Ayreon_ #1 Posted May 05 2019 - 16:17

Captain

• Players
  • 51224 battles
  • [NOBA] NOBA

Hey there...

For the past two months I've been playing my tier X tanks while doing personal missions. After some time I went to delete all my replays from the replay folder, like I always do every 10 days or so and then I saw I have ~150 replay files. 

Since I've been playing nothing but tier X tanks I decided I could make a little experiment :D 

So... I made an Excel document, wrote names of all maps and I started collecting data from my replays folder. I've decided I should go for 1000 games to have a good sample so the journey begun.

I was filling my spreadsheet out at the end of each day when I was done with playing, since 4th of March. Yesterday I finally hit 1000 games in my tier X tanks and made a graph. 

Results may interest some, though it's random and different for everyone. But it sure helped me to decide which map to blacklist after Himmelsdorf - stupid Overlord, ofc. :D 

Anyways, here is the chart...

Data collected

NeatoMan #2 Posted May 05 2019 - 16:21

Major

• Players
  • 27742 battles

gonna have to look at mine now

BlackFive #3 Posted May 05 2019 - 16:28

Major

• Players
  • 34311 battles
  • [_E_] _E_

My own observation (not recorded) was that Overlord and Empire's Border both popped up way more than I wanted to see either map. 

Interesting to see Overlord tops your chart, while Empires is fairly average 

SargeanTravis #4 Posted May 05 2019 - 16:44

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 2435 battles
  • [FUBU] FUBU

View Post_Ayreon_, on May 05 2019 - 16:17, said:

Hey there...

For the past two months I've been playing my tier X tanks while doing personal missions. After some time I went to delete all my replays from the replay folder, like I always do every 10 days or so and then I saw I have ~150 replay files. 

Since I've been playing nothing but tier X tanks I decided I could make a little experiment :D 

So... I made an Excel document, wrote names of all maps and I started collecting data from my replays folder. I've decided I should go for 1000 games to have a good sample so the journey begun.

I was filling my spreadsheet out at the end of each day when I was done with playing, since 4th of March. Yesterday I finally hit 1000 games in my tier X tanks and made a graph. 

Results may interest some, though it's random and different for everyone. But it sure helped me to decide which map to blacklist after Himmelsdorf - stupid Overlord, ofc. :D 

Data collected

Remind me what the different colors on the graph mean? Is it frequency of map type?

moogleslam #5 Posted May 05 2019 - 17:18

Major

• Players
  • 44666 battles
You can't easily get accurate data from a sample size as small as 1000 battles, though it's mostly dependent on the length of your play sessions, i.e. how often you close the game/log off.  This is because in any given play session, you will not see all the maps, rather you will see about a third or maybe a half.  You have to start a new session to see the rest.  If anyone has data to support or disprove this, I am interested.

I_QQ_4_U #6 Posted May 05 2019 - 17:33

Major

• -Players-
  • 21659 battles

Cliff and Fishermans I can see being high but I don't feel like I see Overlord or Pilsen all that often compared to Paris, Ensk, Himmels and Ruinberg.

RickEdwards #7 Posted May 05 2019 - 17:39

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 28202 battles
  • [NISHI] NISHI
Honestly, you would generally expect some outliers like you have; with just this one set, you can't really say that you see certain maps all that more often or less often. If you did this multiple times and saw the same maps being the outliers it would be more meaningful, but this looks pretty much like I would expect.

GeorgePreddy #8 Posted May 05 2019 - 17:44

Major

• Players
  • 14680 battles

Relatively small sample size... try 5,000 battles.

_Ayreon_ #9 Posted May 05 2019 - 17:47

Captain

• Players
  • 51224 battles
  • [NOBA] NOBA

View PostSargeanTravis, on May 05 2019 - 17:44, said:

Remind me what the different colors on the graph mean? Is it frequency of map type?

4 red ones are maps I've seen the most, and 4 orange-ish ones are those I've seen the least.

View Postmoogleslam, on May 05 2019 - 18:18, said:

You can't easily get accurate data from a sample size as small as 1000 battles, though it's mostly dependent on the length of your play sessions, i.e. how often you close the game/log off.  This is because in any given play session, you will not see all the maps, rather you will see about a third or maybe a half.  You have to start a new session to see the rest.  If anyone has data to support or disprove this, I am interested.

Well, 1000 games took a long time and I had no patience to go further, even though I plan on doing that again at some point in the future. (I think this one is an answer to George and Rick as well).

I usually have around 4-5 sessions per day, sometimes even more, but never just 1 session per day.

Dutch_323 #10 Posted May 05 2019 - 18:02

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 9338 battles
  • [ROLF] ROLF

View Postmoogleslam, on May 05 2019 - 11:18, said:

Serious question, not trolling here.  While it's a given that during a very short play session a player won't see all the maps I have wondered before how many games, theoretically, it would take to see all of the maps?  Seems like we all agree that some maps come up more often than not; especially depending on what type of vehicle we are playing.  It seems to me like a lot of the factors that cause many to scream "rigged" etc. about seeing the same maps that they hate more often than they can tolerate might in fact just be due to the match maker grabbing their vehicle; because of what's available in the  que at the time and that class of tank is needed.

Also, I decided not to exclude myself from any of the maps in the rotation.  At just over 8,000 battles and 14 months playing this game I didn't think it was a good idea.  Instead, I need to learn to get better with those maps which will help me more in the long run.  Problem is, I believe I will now see certain maps more often due to other players excluding them; and the matchmaker will still have to fill teams in those matches.  So in the long run I think wargaming has opened themselves another can of worms they will have to deal with.

gingerted91 #11 Posted May 05 2019 - 18:49

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 1256 battles
  • [MORDR] MORDR

View Postmoogleslam, on May 05 2019 - 17:18, said:

I don't believe that is the case.  AFAIK there is still a map pool (much much bigger than before).  It's just timing the rotation; logging on/off has nothing to do with changing the map pool.

View Post_Ayreon_, on May 05 2019 - 16:17, said:

So... I made an Excel document, wrote names of all maps and I started collecting data from my replays folder

Does your data include Encounter, Assault, and Grand Battles?

Edited by gingerted91, May 05 2019 - 18:59.

the_Deadly_Bulb #12 Posted May 05 2019 - 19:12

Major

• Players
  • 26472 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

View Post_Ayreon_, on May 05 2019 - 07:17, said:

Hey there...

Data collected

Until it was discontinued from Aslain's I ran a map logger.

Abbey being the most common map I played on.

There were days of 20 rounds where Abbey was the map for 4 of them. Good thing I like Abbey.

Edited by the_Deadly_Bulb, May 05 2019 - 19:13.

NeatoMan #13 Posted May 05 2019 - 21:04

Major

• Players
  • 27742 battles

here's mine from august through february.  1634 games total, though not all are tier 10

Edited by NeatoMan, May 05 2019 - 21:05.

_Ayreon_ #14 Posted May 05 2019 - 23:16

Captain

• Players
  • 51224 battles
  • [NOBA] NOBA

View Postgingerted91, on May 05 2019 - 19:49, said:

Does your data include Encounter, Assault, and Grand Battles?

No, no, only standard battles. I would have pointed it out if those were included too. I don't like other types tbh, and I also wanted just the core maps to be included.

View PostNeatoMan, on May 05 2019 - 22:04, said:

here's mine from august through february.  1634 games total, though not all are tier 10

It's funny to see that cancerous Overlord on top lol

NeatoMan #15 Posted May 05 2019 - 23:24

Major

• Players
  • 27742 battles

View Post_Ayreon_, on May 05 2019 - 17:16, said:

It's funny to see that cancerous Overlord on top lol

Eh, I don't mind.  I can think of a lot worse maps that could be there

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users