Why I quit battles (and why I don't care about the zero exp)

freedom choice tolerance

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

Anublister #1 Posted May 11 2019 - 16:34

Captain

• Players
  • 68879 battles
  • [--T--] --T--

tl/dr: I quit because my team doesn't know/care where to go/how to play, and I cannot justify staying.

Most of forum conversation consists of complaining. I'm guilty of it. A few times I ask questions, occasionally I praise WG. I'm not saying I'm right here, but it is what it is.

The purpose of this thread is about why I quit battles and to try and let WG know that. It isn't necessarily a whine, or a complaint, but rather my perspective. Other players will certainly have their own opinion, and I expect the trolls and others with limited ability to empathize to chime in, but I hope this will resonate with a few of you.

In my long tenure with this game (and all games) I have striven to succeed (e.g. win). Dropped into a random group of 15 vs 15 I did what comes naturally, evaluate the map, decide on what action I will take with my tank, and move out to try and win the battle. Winning gets you twice the exp you'd normally get, and even more if it's the standard 2x daily. Early tiers don't have much to do with armor, a mistake in my opinion by WG, but perhaps necessary to keep players playing until they are committed to progressing in tiers and then learning that where you shoot on a tank is important.

Ammo to me as a beginner was regular and expensive, and I switched ammo when my shots bounced. But at some point neither ammo type penetrated and that caused me frustration (snatch the pebble from my hand grasshopper!).

Then there is the camouflage effects, which seemed arbitrary and are a bit illogical if you think about it (crew skill for camo that somehow makes your tank harder to see at any range even while moving, really?)

Then it was hull down techniques and gun depression, both important real world tank tactics that enhance the competition, but can be tough for beginners to learn.

Arty was obviously a big frustration. How do I shoot someone I can't even see? It became apparent it was in the game for a reason and the way to deal with it was to learn how to avoid it. All the arty haters don't seem to understand this. It always amazes me why players hate against something so "unfair" while accepting other unfairness that's built into the game that has much more impact.

Next is tank types. They all have strengths and weaknesses.

• Lt tanks have better natural camo and (should have) better view range. Thus they are the best scouts. 
  • Med tanks are the Jack-of-all-trades. Useful for scouting if necessary, flanking, and assisting other tank types.
  • Tank Destroyers are damage dealers. They can lead assaults (like the T110E3, 268v4,Jag E100), or they can snipe from cover (like the Skorpion and Borsig).
  • Heavy tanks are the brawlers of WoT (for the most part, sorry 50-100)
  • SPG's are long range support. Useful slowing assaults and damaging high armored vehicles.

Now there is the basics of how to play. Learning how to properly use the game mechanics and work with your team is crucial in order to win the battle.

Now when I started playing I didn't know most of these things and my learning curve was perhaps a bit longer because I didn't socialize with the right type of players in order to speed things up. Chat to this day is so full of anger, blame and insults as well as deliberate misinformation it continues to be a total waste of time and remains turned off (hint: join a clan). The minimap spam pings are of zero benefit and I wish those who abuse it realize they are doing no good and actually ruining the experience for many. (you can prove this by spamming away and reading the chat, so thanks WG for doing absolutely nothing to reduce this :sceptic:),

So why do I quit battles you ask?

(I thought it would get better)

There is no price of admission to enter the higher tiers. No skill requirement. No winning percentage. No team participation quotient. This is was further exasperated by the 3/5/7 matchmaker.

If I go to a hospital and seek treatment I am assured the doctor treating me has extensive training and their performance measured to ensure me my treatment will have some modicum of success. People don't pay or spend inordinate amounts of time watching amateurs compete (unless they have a stake in it, e.g. a child).

Playing this game requires an investment in time, but not necessarily effort. My dues are paid, I feel confident now to play at any tier (something I did not always have and because of that did not play tier my tier-10 tanks for a long time). These dues of effort have not been payed by other tankers. I can see their skill level using xvm (and it's like having the lights turned on in a dark room or having an epiphany). All the tank type balancing and tier balancing WG tries will not balance the horrible skill discrepancies that happen in random battles. While I have struggled to come up with a way to balance skill (and have posted several times about it), no efforts have been done to remedy it. This isn't a thing I can fix on my own. I am not a unicum, I don't have the uber skills to carry most battles and I don't want them. I accept my level of skill and by doing so accept that I am much better than many players and worse than others. That said I want this game to be accessible to all ability types. Therefore "dues" are not mandatory. If you have a disability or for some reason can't compete at a high level by all means please play. If you want to screw around and suicide scout, or TK your team mates, or scream in chat, or hide in the back of the map. Go ahead.(please WG, allow the rest of us to turn them off, ignore them, which we can't do on the mini-map). This is a free-to-play game. It's also free to participate. I accept that. 

Now consider this. It's also a free to not participate game. If WG and the vocal minority insist on creating and advocating for teams that are heavily imbalanced or full of "muppets" as opposed to an even distribution of such, then during such battle I reserve the right to just leave. And I do, gratefully. As I stated, this game is an investment of my time. And my time is valuable to me. It's sounds selfish, but my unselfishness has run it's course and I accept it if you want to check out in one of my battles. Random battles are the epitome of selfishness. I see now how certain random battles tend to fail horribly no matter my contribution, and I will not waste my time further in a losing proposition. Only a fool takes a willing part in a hopeless struggle.

When some of you get to my amount of playtime perhaps you will agree.

Cerbium #2 Posted May 11 2019 - 16:47

Captain

• Players
  • 19399 battles
Just carry

Goat_Rodeo #3 Posted May 11 2019 - 16:59

Captain

• -Players-
  • 15337 battles
  • [DHO4] DHO4

View PostCerbium, on May 11 2019 - 15:47, said:

Just carry

Why do people always say this? 

When it's 1 vs 29, that's not routinely possible. Sure there's those times where all the planets and stars align and you're in a good tank, get the right map and the reds all want to be farmed for lack of skill. But choosing one of the many tech tree turds or having a tank with lower end modules pretty much dictates you're team dependent.

Buttknuckle #4 Posted May 11 2019 - 17:00

Major

• Players
  • 52757 battles
  • [GOONZ] GOONZ
But don't you feel like a dope when you return to the garage a bit later to find that the battle you abandoned was won by your team, despite your team mates not going to positions or playing how you think they should?

NutrientibusMeaGallus #5 Posted May 11 2019 - 17:02

Major

• Players
  • 22674 battles
  • [FILOX] FILOX

View PostAnublister, on May 11 2019 - 10:34, said:

. Only a fool takes a willing part in a hopeless struggle.

Or you can be a hero...

Da_Vinci #6 Posted May 11 2019 - 17:05

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 38474 battles
  • [YOUJO] YOUJO

View PostGoat_Rodeo, on May 11 2019 - 10:59, said:

Why do people always say this? 

When it's 1 vs 29, that's not routinely possible. Sure there's those times where all the planets and stars align and you're in a good tank, get the right map and the reds all want to be farmed for lack of skill. But choosing one of the many tech tree turds or having a tank with lower end modules pretty much dictates you're team dependent.

Cus people who think about what they're doing in game makes carrying routinely possible. Make the situation yourself and carry through with your decision. I've seen too many games lost/win due to the efforts of 1 or 2 players. It annoys me to no end to see people on the forums posting about how it's impossible to win in a team game and it's always the team's fault. 

A majority of the games I lose is cus I've done something dumb and I die early on. I bet it's not that different for y'all. 

madogthefirst #7 Posted May 11 2019 - 17:06

Major

• Players
  • 24903 battles
  • [GFLC] GFLC
Why don't you just stop playing all together since you have no interest in actually playing.

WileECoyote_PhD #8 Posted May 11 2019 - 17:06

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 27846 battles
Why not do a quick constructive yolo? Then you can return to the garage unpenalized.
You'll remain part of the problem you dislike for any other competent player on your team, but at least you'll make a small quick contribution as a way of departing.

OTOH you might enjoy watching some of the videos by LemmingRush (or others) where they discuss how they make the most of the situation when it's doomed or already falling apart. For example, "Against All Odds - A Great Light Tank Game on Ensk".

Garandster #9 Posted May 11 2019 - 17:14

Captain

• -Players-
  • 6134 battles

View PostAnublister, on May 11 2019 - 10:34, said:

Now consider this. It's also a free to not participate game. If WG and the vocal minority insist on creating and advocating for teams that are heavily imbalanced or full of "muppets" as opposed to an even distribution of such, then during such battle I reserve the right to just leave. And I do, gratefully. As I stated, this game is an investment of my time.

REEEEEEEEE! This match is ruined for me, so I'll ruin it for 14 other people.

If you don't have the wherewithal to see every match through when you hit battle, if you have a problem with random battles, then don't play them and go take part in clan activities where I'm sure the teams are more balanced or the ranked game mode, or tournaments.

cavalry11 #10 Posted May 11 2019 - 17:25

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 50222 battles
  • [APG] APG
Usual stupid comments to someones post.

DUKE_AUTY #11 Posted May 11 2019 - 17:25

Captain

• Players
  • 39803 battles
Awfully long post to rationalize your being a quitter.

jst2gr8 #12 Posted May 11 2019 - 17:29

Captain

• Players
  • 66365 battles
  • [CRZY] CRZY
I couldn't read past the first sentence. What I got from it is, you do not want to even try unless it is a win? Correct me if I am wrong. Try to carry a little. Step up to the plate and look at it as a challenge and use a strat that may help your team to win. 

Rocker_Box #13 Posted May 11 2019 - 17:29

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 9196 battles
So I stick it out until the end to maybe shotgun 2 of the 3 remaining reds with my arty, and we loose because you want to take your ball and go home... Fine... You missed a good fight!

mlinke #14 Posted May 11 2019 - 17:30

Captain

• Players
  • 53566 battles
  • [FIXX] FIXX
People like you op ahould be baned forever.

Audie_L_Murphy #15 Posted May 11 2019 - 17:34

Major

• Players
  • 56677 battles
  • [FGTVE] FGTVE

TL : DR. Your are betting off trying a low percentage yolo attack and trying to get lucky. It's also pretty fun to attempt.

Quitting is for quitters.

__WarChild__ #16 Posted May 11 2019 - 17:45

Major

• -Players-
  • 33976 battles
  • [OPIC] OPIC

I used to feel the same way OP.  Older posts of mine would basically say, "Since no one cares, why should I?"  All I can tell you is this:  Find what you enjoy doing in the game and do it.  Don't let anyone tear you down or get inside your head.  Know who you are and what kind of tanker you want to be - and then just be that.  When I'd throw in the towel, I'd find the purplest Red player and yolo them - usually taking them with me.  I enjoyed the challenge of that and felt that I was doing my team some sort of favor by removing their best player.  I've learned a lot about the game since then and have realized that my XVM colors (I don't use %) will lie 25% of the time.  I try to make every unwinnable game a winner now.  It sometimes works.

Now, if I have a booster running and all hope is lost, that's a different story...

Christojojo #17 Posted May 11 2019 - 17:46

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 34918 battles
  • [CHEAP] CHEAP
Hey ANubicrybaby, You quit battles because you are a self-centered jerk who thinks everything revolves around you. You are the problem, not the solution. I hope they ban your account and you get evicted and forced to live under a throughway bridge under a flock of pigeons and have to sleep in their excrement.

Edited by Christojojo, May 11 2019 - 17:46.

goldfinger_555 #18 Posted May 11 2019 - 17:46

Captain

• Players
  • 27768 battles
  • [FFWC] FFWC
OP, wish you had only posted last two paragraphs as I doubt most read the whole thing. That's where the most important part of your post begins. Yes people play the game the way they want so you should be able to do it too. +1.

ArmorStorm #19 Posted May 11 2019 - 17:46

Major

• Players
  • 37711 battles
  • [F__R] F__R
Quitting out of a match is a douchenozzle move (RL issues aside), and quite obviously with 67000 games in 6 years, your time IS NOT VALUABLE.  I’d rather play with the tomatoes than you thanks. 

cloudwalkr #20 Posted May 11 2019 - 18:10

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 56419 battles
Beyond pathetic, OP.

Also tagged with freedom, choice, tolerance

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users