• [MORDR] MORDR
Start here...

Tnater #22 Posted May 12 2019 - 22:04

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 32795 battles
  • [KFB] KFB

View PostPotatoLegend99, on May 12 2019 - 15:59, said:

The pen on the IS-7 has always been lackluster against other heavies and super TDs. I think it's what "balances" the tanks good mobility and yes, overall armor. The HE rounds are amusingly effective. It would still be the go to meta tank for clan wars if the Obj. 277 didn't have superior gun handling in every way. IS-7 has always excelled at, and still does, at bullying mediums and lights and all lower tier tanks. It's good at leading a push against 1-2 enemy tanks and flanking tanks. Otherwise it plays more of a supporting role to other heavies and sometimes mediums.

As for the armor, it's just like the IS-3 (and probably the Obj. 257, a tank that was added well after I bought the IS-7, and therefore haven't played). It can very subtly side-scrape and reverse side-scrape. It can face hug a wide array of opponents. When completely exposed, do not angle the front. Point the tip of your pike nose at the enemy's barrel and keep it lined up until they fire. When hull down, the flat part of the turret roof is often exposed. Wiggle the turret and elevate the front of the tank ever so slightly by driving up onto the rubble or hill or whatever is in front. 

As for the win rate. Everybody has at least one tier 10 tank, OP or not, that they constantly lose in, regardless of skill level.

This was very helpful, thank you.  And the same goes out to Exiledcrow and UntamedAssassin, the last comments were also helpful.  While not a very good player, it is supremely frustrating to play a tank over and over and feel you are learning nothing about what it can and cannot do.  Doesn't usually take me a whole bunch of games to learn a tank's playstyle, especially a main battle heavy.  I'll hang with it a bit longer, if I can make your advice work.  Again, thanks.

Mokoma #23 Posted May 12 2019 - 22:26

Major

• -Players-
  • 15272 battles
I love the IS-7, one of my favorites. The gun can be frustrating at times, but it’s generally workable. Definitely get hull down whenever possible, and even though the hull is weak, you can get bounces sometimes by wiggling and causing the enemy to hit an autobounce angle. If the enemy team is full of superheavies, consider rolling with the mediums, it can lead a medium push reasonably well at times, and the gun will have a much better time than against superheavy armor. Give it some more time, and you might come to like it better. Good luck :)

tod914 #24 Posted May 12 2019 - 22:28

Major

• Players
  • 63589 battles
Tank has been around a while.  There should be plenty of guides and youtube videos on it.  You can also search on wotreplays.com for current games to watch.

2MOEJOE #25 Posted May 12 2019 - 22:47

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 3634 battles
Lol it's just a typical Russian  heavy tank piss poor gun handling and pen.I got suckered into buying the pos and found it couldn't  pen what my T54 could pen lol!There is a reason in real life like in this game mediums rule heavy tanks are dinosaurs. 

Insanefriend #26 Posted May 12 2019 - 23:58

Captain

• Players
  • 44331 battles

View PostTnater, on May 12 2019 - 15:04, said:

This was very helpful, thank you.  And the same goes out to Exiledcrow and UntamedAssassin, the last comments were also helpful.  While not a very good player, it is supremely frustrating to play a tank over and over and feel you are learning nothing about what it can and cannot do.  Doesn't usually take me a whole bunch of games to learn a tank's playstyle, especially a main battle heavy.  I'll hang with it a bit longer, if I can make your advice work.  Again, thanks.

If you haven't yet check out the tanks armor on https://tanks.gg/tank/is-7/model?vm=live so you can better see what you need to hide to stay safe.  You can change the ammo type around and what tank is shooting at you so you can see how best to block or deflect shots from them.

leeuniverse #27 Posted May 13 2019 - 07:16

Major

• Players
  • 38134 battles
  • [LAMP] LAMP

View PostTnater, on May 12 2019 - 12:57, said:

Dear WoT,

You got me again.  I took the bait.  I bought the IS-7 when it was discounted, and now I know why you discount the TierX tanks that you do.  They are underperforming turds.  This tank's pen is embarrassing for its tier, as is its armor now that everyone is goldslinging.  Angle the armor and go hull-down, you say?  Makes no difference.  This tank should be buffed or banished.  I know others will say, 'It's a great tank; it's me' like always, but really......this piece of slag is so bad only idiots like me buy it and play it anymore, because the field of new tanks has passed it by.  Years ago, apparently.  You have to steeply discount it now to get ANYBODY to buy it anymore.

So disappointing to finally buy a couple Tier Xs, only to find they are just targets......after grinding 450,000 XP to get them.  Congrats on another hoodwink.

Welcome to most tanks of the game sadly...

I've waisted so much money and time myself, especially hoping T10's were good, but almost all are crap, not consistent.

21Blackjack #28 Posted May 13 2019 - 07:39

Major

• Players
  • 20794 battles

View PostTnater, on May 12 2019 - 20:57, said:

Dear WoT,

You got me again.  I took the bait.  I bought the IS-7 when it was discounted, and now I know why you discount the TierX tanks that you do.  They are underperforming turds.  This tank's pen is embarrassing for its tier, as is its armor now that everyone is goldslinging.  Angle the armor and go hull-down, you say?  Makes no difference.  This tank should be buffed or banished.  I know others will say, 'It's a great tank; it's me' like always, but really......this piece of slag is so bad only idiots like me buy it and play it anymore, because the field of new tanks has passed it by.  Years ago, apparently.  You have to steeply discount it now to get ANYBODY to buy it anymore.

So disappointing to finally buy a couple Tier Xs, only to find they are just targets......after grinding 450,000 XP to get them.  Congrats on another hoodwink.

You are a fool for playing Tier X, that Tier is for cashed up people who run top crews, top equipment and 100% premium shells.  It's no place for people just trying to play the game semi casually.

venom286 #29 Posted May 13 2019 - 12:27

Captain

• Players
  • 41612 battles
  • [FARTY] FARTY
I cant tell if you are joking or not. IS7 is one of the best tanks in the game lol.What tank are you playing.

24cups #30 Posted May 13 2019 - 12:36

Major

• Players
  • 24069 battles
  • [D-DAY] D-DAY
It looks like it's your first tier 10. Maybe it's the tier which is giving you problems.
Your most played tanks run from tier 3 to 8.

Guido1212 #31 Posted May 13 2019 - 12:45

Community Contributor

• Players
  • 80333 battles
  • [CARTL] CARTL

View PostTnater, on May 12 2019 - 19:57, said:

Dear WoT,

It’s a bit power creeped, but honestly it’s held up better than some older tens.  I won’t say it’s great, but it’s capable and it is forgiving of mistakes (although tier 10 in general is not).  It’s a good tank to learn the tier 10 meta, it’ll keep you in fight past most others and allows some mobility.  If you just got it I’m willing to bet you’d warm up to it by giving it a longer go.

Copacetic #32 Posted May 13 2019 - 19:14

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 44371 battles
  • [ZEUS] ZEUS
Yeah try playing a German heavy.

Heat_Stroke #33 Posted May 13 2019 - 19:36

Sergeant

• Players
  • 29291 battles
More than half the tanks in the game are absolute crap, and are just a grind to say you completed a line. The majority of the prems are even worse, and yet I still buy them. :-(

RingZero #34 Posted May 13 2019 - 20:00

Major

• -Players-
  • 21362 battles
  • [-G-] -G-
The IS7 has been around for a while so everyone knows where the weakpoints are.  It's still a pretty good tank, even though it's been power crept.

LA_Smack #35 Posted May 13 2019 - 22:01

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 11375 battles

Edited by LA_Smack, May 13 2019 - 22:02.

bgmp14 #36 Posted May 14 2019 - 00:36

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 26110 battles
  • [MAZUT] MAZUT

View PostTnater, on May 12 2019 - 21:08, said:

Not much, just 5-8 degrees, but nothing seems to work with this tank.  Everything pens it, and it's no even exchange of a punching match.  This gun is so impotent for its tier.

Nothing can pen IS-7 turret. Standard pen is low (250) so you need to use premium ammo when you see well-armored opponents. It is still used in CW alongside Obj. 277 and WZ-111-5A so it can't be that bad.

Zeds_Tank #37 Posted May 14 2019 - 01:48

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 21606 battles
Wait. You've played only ten games in it, fourteen in the preceding tank and just forty in tier 10 overall.
I'm at a similar skill level, and had some similar experiences, especially with that line: spoiled rotten by the glorious IS-3, mostly pushed around at tier 9 & 10.

Play more games. Learn to be more cautious. It doesn't have the magic armor of the IS-3. But it's still ok. 

Personally though, getting the tier 10 of a line has often meant I mostly stopped playing the line, except for missions or campaigns. It's costs a lot to run. What's the point, if you're not grinding toward something? And enemy tanks are so much less forgiving. The M48A5 Patton was a perfect example. I coveted it because it's the sexiest tank in the game (I took a survey, my dog agrees). Once I got it, I played a little, ogled at it driving all sexy-like over the dunes, sucked bad, put it aside, and moved on to new trees.

Now the IS-7 is no Patton, but still, maybe just accept it as a trophy in your garage and move on. But, if i used actual cash or loads of free credits to get it,  I'd be pretty tense.

Edited by Zeds_Tank, May 14 2019 - 01:53.

MountainLion1 #38 Posted May 14 2019 - 03:32

Captain

• -Players-
  • 24570 battles
As others have said the IS-7 is a solid tank, good armor and one of the more mobile tier X heavy tanks in the game. OP just give it some time and watch some videos of others playing it. See y’all on the battlefield.

Frostblitz20 #39 Posted May 14 2019 - 03:34

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 3824 battles
  • [VAHLA] VAHLA

it's no where near the worse tank... you want PoS heavys try the IS4/M4/E5 and maybe even the E100... now those are so far out of the meta they dont even get glanced over unless its the only tank that player has.. 

IMO ill say IS7 is in a perfect spot atm compare to the other tanks

oldewolfe #40 Posted May 14 2019 - 10:37

Major

• -Players-
  • 22037 battles
  • [1STBN] 1STBN

https://youtu.be/bmc9bQL7s7g

https://youtu.be/pppKA6A7vzI

https://youtu.be/nbUhvuZen3w

https://youtu.be/zrewo-YhJI0

https://youtu.be/x2radq6Q46U

https://youtu.be/ONClec1l8zI

https://youtu.be/u6d9YC3pexA

It's a Good Enough Tank, I could take my T-10 Crew and just Chuck them in there without Retraining them, along with the Loader from my IS, and STILL Drive it...         That's what was Crewing my IS7 for most of those Videos...       It has a New Crew now, with No Skills Chosen as yet if I recall.... 

Also tagged with IS-7

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users