• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

Saripul #1 Posted May 13 2019 - 07:31

Corporal

• Players
  • 5677 battles
  • [GZRS] GZRS

BLUF:

If X% of arty players stopped doing CB and focused on Heavy Tank hits instead, then each arty player would see a Y% decrease in incoming shells, and HTs would see a Z% increase in shots from arty.

I'll edit this post as questions and abuse roll in.

I play mostly arty these days.  I like arty.  I used to like it more, but I"m hanging in there.

I rarely do CB anymore -- and I'm good at it.  Like I said, I mostly play arty.  So I'm upping my portion of damage done to heavy tanks.  Why?  Because it's the Heavy-Tanking Master Race who cannot stand to see anybody play any style other than corners and corridors.

Remember the days of hill-climbing?  That got shut right down.  Too much non-heavy-tanking going on there.

I'll take the complaints of the heavies a little more seriously when gun barrels no longer clip through walls, rocks, dirt, friendly and enemy tanks alike.  Until then, it's just so much special pleading from a player set dedicated to rules and play styles which benefit them.  Well, alrighty then. 

Arty, pass it on: Target the heavies.  Avoid counter-battery.  Life gets better.

uberdice #2 Posted May 13 2019 - 08:41

Major

• Players
  • 26498 battles

> Player who mains a class that gets to ignore most mechanics doesn't understand why people prefer to play a game with others who play using the same core mechanics.

I'm sitting at 58% solo win rate in the M53/M55 after grinding it from stock, not because I'm amazing at arty or anything else in particular, but because being able to ignore the rules that other players have to stick to is fundamentally broken.

Maining arty is a crutch for players who don't want to learn how to play the game, because it allows them to not have to play the same game everyone else is.

PTwr #3 Posted May 13 2019 - 08:46

Major

• Players
  • 44722 battles
  • [BITSA] BITSA
Heh. 

stalkervision #4 Posted May 13 2019 - 09:05

Major

• Players
  • 66477 battles

View PostSaripul, on May 13 2019 - 01:31, said:

BLUF:

If X% of arty players stopped doing CB and focused on Heavy Tank hits instead, then each arty player would see a Y% decrease in incoming shells, and HTs would see a Z% increase in shots from arty.

I'll edit this post as questions and abuse roll in.

I play mostly arty these days.  I like arty.  I used to like it more, but I"m hanging in there.

I rarely do CB anymore -- and I'm good at it.  Like I said, I mostly play arty.  So I'm upping my portion of damage done to heavy tanks.  Why?  Because it's the Heavy-Tanking Master Race who cannot stand to see anybody play any style other than corners and corridors.

Remember the days of hill-climbing?  That got shut right down.  Too much non-heavy-tanking going on there.

I'll take the complaints of the heavies a little more seriously when gun barrels no longer clip through walls, rocks, dirt, friendly and enemy tanks alike.  Until then, it's just so much special pleading from a player set dedicated to rules and play styles which benefit them.  Well, alrighty then. 

Arty, pass it on: Target the heavies.  Avoid counter-battery.  Life gets better.

I rarely if ever counter battery unless I am purposely attacked. Even then I often just move to another spot and hammer the heavies. The time it takes to hunt arty is better spent hunting heavies. Arty player's are like the Doorman on Seinfeld. We get no respect and we need to stick together. After all arty players shouldn't stab each other in the back like other Wot players ! :P

PTwr #5 Posted May 13 2019 - 09:15

Major

• Players
  • 44722 battles
  • [BITSA] BITSA

View Poststalkervision, on May 13 2019 - 08:05, said:

I rarely if ever counter battery unless I am purposely attacked. Even then I often just move to another spot and hammer the heavies. The time it takes to hunt arty is better spent hunting heavies. Arty player's are like the Doorman on Seinfeld. We get no respect and we need to stick together. After all arty players shouldn't stab each other in the back like other Wot players ! :P

And stunning enemy heavies tend to help your "team" HTs more than mostly fruitless CB.

Leave sky cancer to wheeled cancer `;..;`! 

Saripul #6 Posted May 13 2019 - 09:54

Corporal

• Players
  • 5677 battles
  • [GZRS] GZRS

View Postuberdice, on May 13 2019 - 07:41, said:

> Player who mains a class that gets to ignore most mechanics doesn't understand why people prefer to play a game with others who play using the same core mechanics.

I didn't say that I don't understand.  I said I don't agree.  Nice try though.

Edited by Saripul, May 13 2019 - 10:59.

DERPN_DADDY #7 Posted May 13 2019 - 12:22

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 1282 battles
  • [SAKU] SAKU
my only issue with arty is when there are 3 per team, wish they would just go 2 per team and allow arty to platoon 2 with another tank

_Tsavo_ #8 Posted May 13 2019 - 12:34

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 45195 battles
  • [BRVE] BRVE
No.   Have the option to kill arty, kill arty.   CB is great, gets lots of salt from opposite clickers after the match. 

ndifference #9 Posted May 13 2019 - 12:59

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 16904 battles

View PostSaripul, on May 13 2019 - 00:31, said:

it's just so much special pleading from a player set dedicated to rules and play styles which benefit them.

Seems to be a lot of that going on, eh?

GenPanzer #10 Posted May 13 2019 - 12:59

Major

• Players
  • 43898 battles

View Postuberdice, on May 13 2019 - 02:41, said:

I'm sitting at 58% solo win rate in the M53/M55 after grinding it from stock, not because I'm amazing at arty or anything else in particular, but because being able to ignore the rules that other players have to stick to is fundamentally broken.

Maining arty is a crutch for players who don't want to learn how to play the game, because it allows them to not have to play the same game everyone else is.

I bet players like you hate chess too.

Saripul #11 Posted May 13 2019 - 13:23

Corporal

• Players
  • 5677 battles
  • [GZRS] GZRS

View PostDERPN_DADDY, on May 13 2019 - 11:22, said:

my only issue with arty is when there are 3 per team, wish they would just go 2 per team and allow arty to platoon 2 with another tank

I hear ya.  I'm still a little sensitive (poor me, I know) about the "no platoon" nerf that was in place for a little bit.  I have a whole other rant about treating arty as a public utility rather than part of the player base.  But that's another issue.  What you say is reasonable enough.

Saripul #12 Posted May 13 2019 - 13:28

Corporal

• Players
  • 5677 battles
  • [GZRS] GZRS

View Post_Tsavo_, on May 13 2019 - 11:34, said:

No.   Have the option to kill arty, kill arty.   CB is great, gets lots of salt from opposite clickers after the match. 

I'm not making a moral point, and I'm not complaining that WG should do something special for me.  Just making a strategic point that the less CB done by arty in general, the better off arty lives will be -- in general.

Don't get me wrong -- I fricking feel GREAT when I win an arty duel.  As much as I feel chumped when I get clicked from out of nowhere.  And, truth be told, I'll still take the shot if it means enough.

But it's my last priority right now, unless the tactics say otherwise.  And I don't do aggressive counterbattery stalking these days.

I just find a HT to click and let fly.

Saripul #13 Posted May 13 2019 - 13:34

Corporal

• Players
  • 5677 battles
  • [GZRS] GZRS

View Postuberdice, on May 13 2019 - 07:41, said:

If you carry your arguments even to reasonable ends, then they fall apart.  You probably don't feel that turrets are an unfair advantage, or that the lack of a turret makes all (non-turreted) TDs somehow fundamentally broken.  And what about tanks with different view ranges?  After all a tank which can see his opponent is certainly having a different experience than one who cannot.  Autoloaders have a significant difference as well.

So perhaps you'll understand if to me, your arguments just sound like special pleading.  You like your arguments not because they win -- they don't -- but because they are yours.

mlinke #14 Posted May 13 2019 - 14:47

Captain

• Players
  • 52792 battles
  • [DD-S] DD-S
I never shoot arty. Only for missions. I always support underdogs.

Benjeeh_CA #15 Posted May 13 2019 - 14:55

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 30678 battles
  • [DBLTP] DBLTP

View PostSaripul, on May 13 2019 - 04:34, said:

If you carry your arguments even to reasonable ends, then they fall apart.  You probably don't feel that turrets are an unfair advantage, or that the lack of a turret makes all (non-turreted) TDs somehow fundamentally broken.  And what about tanks with different view ranges?  After all a tank which can see his opponent is certainly having a different experience than one who cannot.  Autoloaders have a significant difference as well.

So perhaps you'll understand if to me, your arguments just sound like special pleading.  You like your arguments not because they win -- they don't -- but because they are yours.

and yet  tds  and autoloaders even though  they are different  like pieces in chess  they still follow the same set of rules

Rawrlynn #16 Posted May 13 2019 - 15:12

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 31769 battles
the only reason I really started playing arty is to smack them with a counter battery and delete them back to the garage.  now I don't waste time searching for them, I will fire at heavies, look for arty while reloading at 5-6 seconds left on reload I focus back on heavies until I reload and fire then look for arty again.  nothing is better then a garage message from a freshly salted arty main. 

Saripul #17 Posted May 13 2019 - 15:24

Corporal

• Players
  • 5677 battles
  • [GZRS] GZRS

View PostRawrlynn, on May 13 2019 - 14:12, said:

the only reason I really started playing arty is to smack them with a counter battery and delete them back to the garage.  now I don't waste time searching for them, I will fire at heavies, look for arty while reloading at 5-6 seconds left on reload I focus back on heavies until I reload and fire then look for arty again.  nothing is better then a garage message from a freshly salted arty main. 

What do they say?

Mojo_Riesing #18 Posted May 13 2019 - 15:25

Captain

• Players
  • 19509 battles
  • [ACATS] ACATS

I play arty to help my side win.  Mostly that means hitting tanks 1) In the open, 2) Most dangerous, 3) with low hitpoints.   IF my team can spot the enemy artillery, or if this is a match with 3 arty per side, i will actively try to hunt enemy arty and CB.  

I will hammer any big fat heavy..and i'll do it again and again. If i see our side outnumbered by the enemy...i'll try to slow the reds advance or disrupt their assault. If i see a TD sitting pretty for their "perfect shot", yes, i'm gonna try to disrupt their life too.  CB to other arty is like that..if opportunity strikes, i'll try to strike first.

Sturm_Teufel #19 Posted May 13 2019 - 15:31

Major

• Players
  • 47470 battles
  • [-P-] -P-
I still like to CB when I play arty. I rarely do play arty because I find frustrating and sometimes boring. I also prefer to target TD's (hidden snipers) and faster more mobiles tanks when they stop/slow down for a moment.

cavalry11 #20 Posted May 13 2019 - 15:33

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 48629 battles
  • [11BAT] 11BAT
Most arty complainers need to play arty before they show their ignorance by saying it takes no skill.

Also tagged with arty, nerf, counterbattery, heavytankingmasterrace

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users