IS or tiger 1

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

southtown00 #1 Posted May 13 2019 - 16:49

Corporal

• Players
  • 2963 battles
I've got a tiger 1 but everyone talks about how great Russian tanks are so I'm trying to get to IS. Is the grass greener on the other side?

GAJohnnie #2 Posted May 13 2019 - 16:55

Major

• Players
  • 11750 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT
IS is ok but it is the least of the lot. Everything after the IS, or the premium variants of the IS, is much better. 

Firemoth #3 Posted May 13 2019 - 16:57

Major

• Players
  • 40199 battles

objectively? they do different things, so its hard to compare. the IS is a brawler and fares worse against armour due to its lower pen. Tiger H is more of a support tank, but its hard to play well because of its low alpha and paper armour

subjectively? if your playing for fun then it really doesnt matter. if your playing to win, you need to go back to tier 5 and really learn the fundementals of dealing damage.

Edited by Firemoth, May 13 2019 - 16:58.

NL_Celt #4 Posted May 13 2019 - 17:01

Major

• Players
  • 31322 battles

Tiger 1 is a more difficult tank to play. As a heavy it doesn't go to the front, but everyone wants you to lead as you are a heavy. Everything can pen it easily. Angling and sidescraping can work. So trying to learn how to snipe and when you can get more aggressive is a challenge. Also the ammo rack is way too frequently damaged for a tank that lives on DPM and HP. 

IS is fairly simple. It's a more in your face peek and boomer. Big gun is scary, armour works at times. Maneuverability allows you to run with mediums when low tiered. Leads to the IS-3 which is still a great tank for its tier I think.

NL_Celt #5 Posted May 13 2019 - 17:05

Major

• Players
  • 31322 battles

View Postsouthtown00, on May 13 2019 - 12:19, said:

I've got a tiger 1 but everyone talks about how great Russian tanks are so I'm trying to get to IS. Is the grass greener on the other side?

You'll also find the KV-1 is still a great heavy and so far the T-150 works like a charm.

southtown00 #6 Posted May 13 2019 - 17:35

Corporal

• Players
  • 2963 battles
Yeah the kvs sound great but what happened is I grinded the German heavies in the German TDS and the Russian mediums. So I wanted to try out the Russian Heavies so I'm jumping down to the is from the t34. In the future I might run that line. Haven't done too much light tanking so I'm going to start out with it t35. See you might have been a rookie mistake I guess but I sold off those to my old tanks to move up the tears cuz it takes forever to move up. I was one of those guys that all I wanted to do was get that freaking tiger. I thought I'd get that tiger and I'd be the king of the hill and I was wrong.

Ironmike11B #7 Posted May 13 2019 - 17:37

Major

• Players
  • 33902 battles
You'll probably find the IS line to be more fun.

ChaseR392 #8 Posted May 13 2019 - 19:26

Captain

• Players
  • 14080 battles

OP,

The main difference in the two really boils down the the guns.... German heavies (until you get to the huge superheavies) tend to have smaller caliber guns that trade alpha damage for accuracy and rate of fire. Russian tanks packing the 122mm gun sacrifice accuracy and rate of fire for raw destructive power...

What does this mean? The Tiger has the advantage in more open maps.... if its spots first it will likely land the first and second shots before the IS can respond. The IS will have the advantage in close brawls because it will deal near double the damage per shot.

Be advised, however, that any mid-tier stock tech tree heavy will be rather a painful to grind with the plethora reasonably priced Premium tanks that exist in the game.

If you want to give the IS series a try and pick up a good crew trainer with a 100% zero skill BIA crew.... I highly recommend you keep an eye out for the IS-2 premium to go on sale individually this month... it will likely be around $20.

southtown00 #9 Posted May 13 2019 - 22:20

Corporal

• Players
  • 2963 battles
I was just on overlord with tiger sniping and that 88 went anywhere other than where I pointed it even if I was preaimed. I don't know why people say the 88 is really accurate it doesn't seem like it to me. I had an entire tank in my circle and it flew way over its head. I feel like it wont hit the broadside of a barn.

chilloutkidss #10 Posted May 13 2019 - 23:13

Corporal

• Players
  • 2245 battles

It all depends. The IS is a lot worse than the rest of it's line. But the Tiger I has bad armor, so it doesn't play like a real heavy brawler which the IS is, a supporter rather. But, looking at your account I don't think you are ready for tier 7. I don't play tier 7 yet either. But the best thing to do for yourself is stay back for now, learn the foundations at tier 5 and get it down. Play the KV-1. Great forgiving tank. But if you choose not to take the advice, the IS is probably the way to go.

BoghieWanKanobie #11 Posted May 13 2019 - 23:55

Major

• Players
  • 11820 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

View Postsouthtown00, on May 13 2019 - 16:20, said:

I was just on overlord with tiger sniping and that 88 went anywhere other than where I pointed it even if I was preaimed. I don't know why people say the 88 is really accurate it doesn't seem like it to me. I had an entire tank in my circle and it flew way over its head. I feel like it wont hit the broadside of a barn.

It's your crews...

I commented in your T-34 thread where you posted your equipment configuration and crew skills.  At Tier V you build your first real crew - and, you really need to configure that first skill correctly FOR YOU.  If you have a great gun, but a crappy gunner, you will have a hard time hitting anything.  Stuff like snapshot affects RNG dramatically.  Stuff like smooth ride plays a role as will.  Then there is BIA which make the entire experience better.  You want that first shot attempt you will need SA and/or Recon.  Anyway, missing with a rail gun like the 88 is still possible, even normal to some extent.  However, you will miss far more with the IS.  If I play the Defender I can miss a target I am touching with the gun.  Ugh.

Anyway, I have to say - spend your time on crews right now.  Not tanks.  You have to skill up if you are going to compete at the higher levels.

Edited by Boghie, May 13 2019 - 23:56.

ChaseR392 #12 Posted May 14 2019 - 02:19

Captain

• Players
  • 14080 battles

View PostBoghie, on May 13 2019 - 23:55, said:

It's your crews...

And at times RNG.... even the most accurate guns go squirrely from time to time... and even the most inaccurate guns will hit a small target from halfway across the map once in a while.

TrevorsT112 #13 Posted May 17 2019 - 12:33

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 13886 battles

View Postsouthtown00, on May 13 2019 - 17:35, said:

Yeah the kvs sound great but what happened is I grinded the German heavies in the German TDS and the Russian mediums. So I wanted to try out the Russian Heavies so I'm jumping down to the is from the t34. In the future I might run that line. Haven't done too much light tanking so I'm going to start out with it t35. See you might have been a rookie mistake I guess but I sold off those to my old tanks to move up the tears cuz it takes forever to move up. I was one of those guys that all I wanted to do was get that freaking tiger. I thought I'd get that tiger and I'd be the king of the hill and I was wrong.

View Postsouthtown00, on May 13 2019 - 22:20, said:

I hear you on the "I was wrong" part. I think you were given some really good advice here, and I couldn't recommend Firemoth's enough. One of the things that attracts me in this game is that with so many different vehicles to choose from, we probably have nearly that many playing styles to master. Each tank has its own strengths and weaknesses, and depending on how you equip it and train your crew, will affect the strengths and weaknesses of the tank you are in.

A lot of people mention that the German tech tree is harder to play because generally weaker armor, lower mobility, and in some cases, lower Alpha guns. While that may be true, I will go back to my first point, try to understand and learn the tank you are in (the wiki is a good place for this), and how to exploit its strengths, while minimizing its weaknesses. I know my biggest problem is that I rush in too fast, and if I hold hold back and take my time a little to study how the battle is shaping up, I get a better sense of where I might  better use my tanks strengths.

The Tiger will take some time to figure out, but hopefully that means there will be a lot of satisfaction waiting for you when you do.

Edited by TrevorsT112, May 17 2019 - 12:34.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users