Why do people sometimes pop off a random shot right at the beginning of the game?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

southtown00 #1 Posted May 15 2019 - 21:26

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 2963 battles
I've noticed it a lot of games as soon as the countdown ends one or two or three people will fire off off a random shot. It's too early to attribute it to Blind firing. Are they just trying to calibrate their gun trajectory? People do this so often it has to be for a reason so I was just curious. I hope everyone's doing well.

Oxboy1212 #2 Posted May 15 2019 - 21:29

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 48350 battles

View Postsouthtown00, on May 15 2019 - 21:26, said:

I've noticed it a lot of games as soon as the countdown ends one or two or three people will fire off off a random shot. It's too early to attribute it to Blind firing. Are they just trying to calibrate their gun trajectory? People do this so often it has to be for a reason so I was just curious. I hope everyone's doing well.

I will do it if I'm in a brand new tank just to get a feel for the gun action.  I suspect most do it simply because they can't hold their wad.

The_Illusive_Man #3 Posted May 15 2019 - 21:30

Major

• -Players-
  • 13326 battles
Because the average IQ of the US is 80....... So take from that what you will....

Doublenut #4 Posted May 15 2019 - 21:37

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 14375 battles

View Postsouthtown00, on May 15 2019 - 21:26, said:

Those people are trolls looking to draw a teamkill. They'll shoot at you, behind you, beside you trying to make you angry and fire.

vonkevin #5 Posted May 15 2019 - 21:39

Captain

• Players
  • 30650 battles

Because they're idiots.

RingoMcHarrison #6 Posted May 15 2019 - 21:39

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 36230 battles

To warm up the barrel?

To show off in front of team mates?

To waste excess credits?

To let the enemy know they mean business?

BadCorps #7 Posted May 15 2019 - 21:46

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 12239 battles
I only do it in low tier tanks with cheap rounds to reaccustom myself with the speed/accuracy of the gun.

NutrientibusMeaGallus #8 Posted May 15 2019 - 21:46

Major

• Players
  • 22674 battles
  • [FILOX] FILOX
 It seems much more common in lower tiers... Just ignore it.

Garandster #9 Posted May 15 2019 - 21:47

Captain

• -Players-
  • 6134 battles
Maybe they started playing War Thunder first and now while playing WoT try to shoot down the planes flying as a habit.

G3nst3r #10 Posted May 15 2019 - 21:49

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 15910 battles
  • [I-U-D] I-U-D
When I first started playing, I used to do it all the time; then I realized I needed to disable my laptop finger pointer.  Always was trying to figure out why it was randomly going off and shooting when I never even clicked the mouse.  :trollface:

Buttknuckle #11 Posted May 15 2019 - 22:00

Major

• Players
  • 51742 battles
  • [GOONZ] GOONZ

Could be any variety of reasons.

I played for a while on a laptop that would auto fire one round at the start of every match, even with no hands anywhere near the keyboard. Had to disable track pad to get it to stop.

Some people don't realize how to switch ammo types without firing what's in the chamber, so they pop one off to load the type of round they want.

LeaveIT2Beaver #12 Posted May 15 2019 - 22:19

Major

• -Players-
  • 37360 battles
  • [J4F] J4F

To hear the GUNS!

Boghie #13 Posted May 15 2019 - 22:40

Captain

• -Players-
  • 8482 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT
Maybe they want to 'self-spot' themselves for a shorter game:facepalm:

Space_Modulator #14 Posted May 15 2019 - 23:14

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 17030 battles

I was in a Tier IV tank on Himmelsdorf when someone popped off a shot across the "5" line right in between the fountain and a building. The single shot ammo racked me from the side. The game had just started.

THAT'S WHY they do this. Hopefully the replay made for a "Funny WOT" Youtube video submission by the Wonk who got me.

4TheBox #15 Posted May 15 2019 - 23:34

Captain

• Players
  • 31517 battles
That's the only chance to shoot something for them right before instance death by invisible tank hack.

SwollenOstrich #16 Posted May 15 2019 - 23:37

Captain

• Players
  • 24915 battles
Did anyone else see the title of this thread and click it while thinking it was about a completely different subject?

ChaseR392 #17 Posted May 16 2019 - 02:51

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 8299 battles

"Performance Issues" :trollface:

They are only slightly less ridiculous than the bush campers that will blind fire continuously at an area of an enemy after it goes dark (revealing there position for all to see)....

snailcrusher #18 Posted May 16 2019 - 03:14

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 3169 battles
One of those idiots shot me right in my engine 3 seconds after spawn.  Totally disabled my tank.  Usually I'm a forgiving & easy going guy, but it really pissed me off.  He turned blue, so I shot and killed him.  It felt good.  I hope he learned something.

dunniteowl #19 Posted May 16 2019 - 17:35

Major

• -Players-
  • 31291 battles

View Postsouthtown00, on May 15 2019 - 14:26, said:

I think Posters 2-4, 7, 10 - 12 and 14 pretty much cover the gamut of the reasons so many folks do this.  I would also add, accidental discharge from grabbing the mouse too hard when the game starts -- sort of like the same kind of thing you see at a stop light on a busy and wide intersection.  There are those guys that are 'vroom vrooming' their accelerators, letting off the brake and tapping them, creeping forward, like they can't wait for the green light -- then, when the light turns green, for some reason, they're caught off guard and in that instant, lose initiative, because of their impatient or eager behavior.

I think most folks that fire off at the start fall into the above descriptive category.  It's almost like a reflex response to getting ready to play and it's probably, as likely as not, something they don't even think about doing.  They're so busy playing with their controls, reflexing their grips and actions on a keyboard and mouse buttons that don't do anything, like a pre-flight check -- or a little kid playing with the controls of a video game in demo display mode -- and when the game starts, it sort of 'grabs them back' to, "The game is actually starting now," and one last tiny spasm as they are pulled back to playing.

I fall (on occasion) into the category of 'testing my gun's performance' in a tank I'm new to or re-acquainting myself to, though I won't do that at the cap or at start of game.  I want to get into a spot I'm ready to contact Red Team and then maybe fire a shot at a rock to get a feel for the aim-in, reload and bloom after fire, etc.  Nowadays, though, I am usually getting that information from my first shot at Red Team.  Might as well make even a 'get familiar with the gun' shot count for something when possible.

Those tiny few who are griefing you?  No worries.  Best if possible to simply ignore them or move away, if you have time in all that, report repeated efforts as Unsportsmanlike Conduct and continue to do your best to focus on Red Team targets instead of that other dead weight on your team.  And we all have our moments where we 'have had enough,' even I have them on rare occasion, so when I'm not 'already up to here' with attitude or infractions committed in my presence, I'm usually pretty tolerant, though will appeal to them to stop if I can.  I have also felt it necessary to place a round or two in a 'no longer' team mate to distract, stop or attempt to eliminate someone who is actively attempting to TK.

If nothing else, my round or two might stop the person who does kill someone in that instance from getting banned for too many intentional rounds fired at an 'ally.'  I do not condone things like this as a rule, however, also allow for moments that are blatantly out of hand and prudence must be taken in some degree.

In those instances, though, it would have to be extreme for me to react in such a way and I would do it for what I consider, 'the good of the team' and not because I'm all bent out of shape over it. Like shooting a rabid dog.  You don't enjoy it, yet it has to be done.

Okay, that was more than I intended.

GL, HF & HSYBF!
OvO

southtown00 #20 Posted May 17 2019 - 17:42

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 2963 battles
Oh no ones giving me grief. I was just wondering if there was some good for it that maybe be doing or if it was random like you said. I hate the fact you cant go into a training room by yourself. Also they should have a target range where you can take any tank and set up in with targets from 50m to 1000m where you can study your spread pattern, dispersion, velocity and stuff like that. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users