The disconnect between Playing FL and chasing the Rewards of FL

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

BlackFive #1 Posted May 15 2019 - 23:38

Major

• Players
  • 35869 battles
  • [_E_] _E_

When first introduced, FL was an absolute breath of fresh air in WOT.  Open map design, dynamic play and very large maps - a radical departure from years and years of arena battles.  The games lasted a long time, and commensurately, the reward tiers (Major - General) were regularly attainable.  It set the expectation with the players for both what FL was, and how easy it was to get the rewards.

Things change.

The introduction of two wheeled vehicles (Prem and Tech-Tree) and map changes making it much easier to secure the first three objectives has radically sped up the game.  The mode is still fun - but it doesn't fit the expectations set by the first iteration of FL.  Games are quickly over with often quite a few matches where the highest accomplishment is Major - and sometimes only Captain.  So while the games are faster - the progression is much slower.

Player frustration with the mode is on the rise.  (It's different - let's kill it!  )

Here's the thing - the disconnect between the playing and the rewards is part of the tension.  I like playing the mode for a bit each day as a change of pace from the regular battles.  But the changed pacing of the matches makes playing a whole bunch of FL battles less satisfying than when FL was first introduced.

So to try to slog through match after match to go after the Reward Tanks?

God - too much like work!

Edited by BlackFive, May 15 2019 - 23:43.

F1O1 #2 Posted May 15 2019 - 23:59

Captain

• Players
  • 60 battles
  • [SAMUS] SAMUS

however bad front lines maybe, and it is getting worse not better in regards to WG needless meddling....

lt still provides a gaming experience where tier 8 tanks fight other tier 8 tanks. Not tier 10.

And for that, front lines is priceless to many people. Even if tier 8.5 tanks are allowed, like EBR75, Defender, LT432, HK30

__WarChild__ #3 Posted May 16 2019 - 00:01

Major

• -Players-
  • 32548 battles
  • [OPIC] OPIC

Not going to lie, Front Lines is an exercise in futility to me.  I grind through it because I want the stuff, but no one knows what they're doing or we all have different agendas, whatever it is the games kinda suck unless you platoon with friends.  I want the reward tanks and the bonds, so I play it all week.  My only strategy is to go where I can do the most damage.  On offense, I never get near the objectives because (1) they don't offer ANY bonus, (2) they end the games sooner, (3) Defenders crowd them and kill you.  So I sit back and try to snipe as much as I can and hope my team doesn't move too quickly.  I'm totally fine with losing as long as I'm a general.  I used to care about being General of the Army, etc. but not anymore.   The credits are nice, for me the bonds are key, and I hope that the last 2 reward tanks have some sort of redeeming qualities.  I'll be glad when it's over...which is sad to me because I used to look forward to it.  First world problems...  

__WarChild__

_Ayreon_ #4 Posted May 16 2019 - 00:18

Captain

• Players
  • 52838 battles
  • [NOBA] NOBA

View Post__WarChild__, on May 16 2019 - 01:01, said:

Not going to lie, Front Lines is an exercise in futility to me.  I grind through it because I want the stuff, but no one knows what they're doing or we all have different agendas, whatever it is the games kinda suck unless you platoon with friends.  I want the reward tanks and the bonds, so I play it all week.  My only strategy is to go where I can do the most damage.  On offense, I never get near the objectives because (1) they don't offer ANY bonus, (2) they end the games sooner, (3) Defenders crowd them and kill you.  So I sit back and try to snipe as much as I can and hope my team doesn't move too quickly.  I'm totally fine with losing as long as I'm a general.  I used to care about being General of the Army, etc. but not anymore.   The credits are nice, for me the bonds are key, and I hope that the last 2 reward tanks have some sort of redeeming qualities.  I'll be glad when it's over...which is sad to me because I used to look forward to it.  First world problems...  

__WarChild__

This.

PopPop_AppleDaD6 #5 Posted May 16 2019 - 00:29

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 45056 battles
  • [ALERT] ALERT
To me its nothing more than a grind for bonds and a tank.

heavymetal1967 #6 Posted May 16 2019 - 02:10

Major

• Players
  • 72545 battles
  • [HSOLO] HSOLO

FrozenKemp #7 Posted May 16 2019 - 02:16

Major

• Players
  • 53403 battles
  • [8ARMY] 8ARMY
Aside from the grind being too long, I'm just turned off by the way that the rewards don't sync up with trying to win. 

SporkBoy #8 Posted May 16 2019 - 03:03

Major

• Players
  • 48247 battles
  • [PZB] PZB
Bonds, gold and much free stuff - why the masses don't play for fast prestige (which nets the most rewards for the least playtime) is beyond understanding - except most are below average and the vast majority are unremarkable in every sense.

BlackFive #9 Posted May 16 2019 - 04:28

Major

• Players
  • 35869 battles
  • [_E_] _E_

View PostSporkBoy, on May 16 2019 - 03:03, said:

Bonds, gold and much free stuff - why the masses don't play for fast prestige (which nets the most rewards for the least playtime) is beyond understanding - except most are below average and the vast majority are unremarkable in every sense.

At this point - I'd appreciate some pointers; because playing my way isn't working.  Got two 'Lieutenants' in a row (defense).  How do you get the 'fast prestige' while defending?  (Attacking is where I advance the most)  Arty?

Edited by BlackFive, May 16 2019 - 04:37.

SporkBoy #10 Posted May 16 2019 - 05:08

Major

• Players
  • 48247 battles
  • [PZB] PZB
Drive onto cap to contest and kill cappers - fast way to rank up on defense. It helps I'd you also spot the reds and get spotting dmg. Busting tracks for assisted dmg, too. Generally fight with 100m of caps.

BlackFive #11 Posted May 16 2019 - 05:27

Major

• Players
  • 35869 battles
  • [_E_] _E_

View PostSporkBoy, on May 16 2019 - 05:08, said:

Drive onto cap to contest and kill cappers - fast way to rank up on defense. It helps I'd you also spot the reds and get spotting dmg. Busting tracks for assisted dmg, too. Generally fight with 100m of caps.

Hmmm.  Tough Turret tanks I'm guessing then?

Jryder #12 Posted May 16 2019 - 07:20

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 13911 battles

View PostBlackFive, on May 15 2019 - 20:27, said:

Hmmm.  Tough Turret tanks I'm guessing then?

Exactly. I am not liking the dynamic involved.

To drive into a cap and survive long enough to kill something takes armor-Defender

You also need the capability of dishing out a lot of damage in a short time-Autoloader

Or, just drive a Wheelie or Uber light.

Regular old single shot Mediums don't really fill the prescription-and unfortunately that is mostly what I have. You should also get credit for shooting stuff in the cap regardless if it stops the cap. That's a pretty narrow definition to fill. A lot of caps are by mass armor attack, so your not going to stop that. Even if it's one or two vehicles, a single shot tank stands a weak chance of killing them both and stopping things. Single shot mediums are basically aced out of this dynamic.

In addition, why only get credit for cap time if you cap? I started a cap and was in it until one second left, and so got bupkus for my trouble. I died, we capped, and I essentially wasted my time.

RacWisco #13 Posted May 16 2019 - 12:43

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 74994 battles
  • [MOOBS] MOOBS

View PostJryder, on May 16 2019 - 06:20, said:

To drive into a cap and survive long enough to kill something takes armor-Defender

You also need the capability of dishing out a lot of damage in a short time-Autoloader

Regular old single shot Mediums don't really fill the prescription-and unfortunately that is mostly what I have. You should also get credit for shooting stuff in the cap regardless if it stops the cap. That's a pretty narrow definition to fill. A lot of caps are by mass armor attack, so your not going to stop that. Even if it's one or two vehicles, a single shot tank stands a weak chance of killing them both and stopping things. Single shot mediums are basically aced out of this dynamic.

In addition, why only get credit for cap time if you cap? I started a cap and was in it until one second left, and so got bupkus for my trouble. I died, we capped, and I essentially wasted my time.

You do get reset point for reducing cap points by shooting tanks on the cap.

mbrolin #14 Posted May 16 2019 - 12:53

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 34010 battles

View PostF1O1, on May 15 2019 - 22:59, said:

however bad front lines maybe, and it is getting worse not better in regards to WG needless meddling....

lt still provides a gaming experience where tier 8 tanks fight other tier 8 tanks. Not tier 10.

And for that, front lines is priceless to many people. Even if tier 8.5 tanks are allowed, like EBR75, Defender, LT432, HK30

I know I might be a minority, but unless it is Tier 5 or lower, I never enjoy playing all same tier tanks. I like the variety. I don't enjoy this all Tier 8 only mode. Just like I hate getting into an all tier X game. It seems to me more gold is lung in an all same tier game then not.

mbrolin #15 Posted May 16 2019 - 13:07

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 34010 battles

View PostJryder, on May 16 2019 - 06:20, said:

This sums up my whole frustration with FL. I still have not Earned General once in all my games.

Guido1212 #16 Posted May 16 2019 - 13:56

Community Contributor

• Players
  • 81541 battles
  • [GFLC] GFLC
Indeed. From a game design standpoint the disconnect between gameplay goals and reward goals is glaring.

Been saying this since last season.

thorus08 #17 Posted May 16 2019 - 13:57

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 29034 battles
  • [200IQ] 200IQ

View PostSporkBoy, on May 15 2019 - 23:08, said:

I've only had moderate success with ranking up while driving onto cap.  It can be done (A seems to be the easiest to do this with some cover).  I find it more important to be fighting near the caps, but with easy outs to go repair to get back in the fight.  Typically I end up at general or major(yesterday was more generals than majors), even on defense simply by blocking cap points with damage.  You don't have to focus on shooting one tank, if there are 3 in cap and you are in a lorraine 40t for instance, put one shot into all 3 of the targets if possible and as long as they would have been earning capture points had you not damaged them, you'll continue to gain rank for the duration you had blocked by damaging them.  You also get quite a bit of rank for a killing shot on someone in cap that has a lot of cap points, so if an attacker is a 1 shot for you they could be quite a chunk of experience.

I've still had more luck with vehicles with speed and agility defending capture points; I've found armor more useful defending the guns.  That's just my preferred playstyle though.

mbrolin #18 Posted May 16 2019 - 14:19

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 34010 battles

View Postthorus08, on May 16 2019 - 12:57, said:

I've only had moderate success with ranking up while driving onto cap.  It can be done (A seems to be the easiest to do this with some cover).  I find it more important to be fighting near the caps, but with easy outs to go repair to get back in the fight.  Typically I end up at general or major(yesterday was more generals than majors), even on defense simply by blocking cap points with damage.  You don't have to focus on shooting one tank, if there are 3 in cap and you are in a lorraine 40t for instance, put one shot into all 3 of the targets if possible and as long as they would have been earning capture points had you not damaged them, you'll continue to gain rank for the duration you had blocked by damaging them.  You also get quite a bit of rank for a killing shot on someone in cap that has a lot of cap points, so if an attacker is a 1 shot for you they could be quite a chunk of experience.

I've still had more luck with vehicles with speed and agility defending capture points; I've found armor more useful defending the guns.  That's just my preferred playstyle though.

Too bad I'm sh*t with light and fast tanks. All speed seems to do is get me killed real quick.

JimJ0nes #19 Posted May 16 2019 - 14:44

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 21774 battles
My biggest complaint is fighting on the flanks is just as important as the cap, but isn’t rewarded as such.

Altwar #20 Posted May 16 2019 - 14:58

Major

• Players
  • 58430 battles
  • [-GNR-] -GNR-

View Postmbrolin, on May 16 2019 - 05:19, said:

Too bad I'm sh*t with light and fast tanks. All speed seems to do is get me killed real quick.

I'm pretty bad with these too.  And yet in one Frontlines battle yesterday I ran the Bat Chat 12t for the complete battle without being destroyed.  I was doing numerous peek and pokes all over the maps and resupplying at every opportunity.

To the topic:  Frontlines is rather dull to me.  I am not really into the repetitive farming without caring whose team wins or loses.  I play it only a couple times per WoT session as I am just trying to achieve 1 Prestige for the heck of it.    After which I am doubling my effort on the Honor & Glory mission in WoWs.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users