• Please log in to reply
317 replies to this topic

CabbageMechanic #1 Posted May 17 2019 - 17:18

Senior Community Manager

• Administrator
  • 9062 battles
  • [WGA] WGA
Hey Tankers,

As many of you have seen by now, the next season of Ranked Battles has been canceled on the NA server.  This was an unpleasant decision and not one we made lightly.

Q: Why are you canceling Ranked Battles?
A: After testing the structure of the new ranked system, we found that excessive queue times would lead to an unpleasant experience for NA players.

Q: Is Ranked Battles canceled everywhere?
A: Only in NA and APAC, they will continue normally on CIS and EU.  The new version of Ranked Battles has a dramatically increased rank spread, which increased demand on MM.

Q: Couldn't you just run last year's system?
A: Dissatisfaction with the previous iteration is what lead to the creation of the new one, and the old one is no longer viable.  We tested a number of tweaks to make it suitable for our region but none lead to a suitable compromise.  We made the decision to not offer a suboptimal version of the mode and instead to focus on a fully realized version for the next iteration.

Q: Why did you make a system that doesn't work in some regions?
A: Our development team was focused on completely revamping ranked battles to make a better experience for everyone, taking into account player feedback from previous seasons.  Ultimately these changes, while positive for a design perspective, created unexpected issues when tested on NA and APAC servers.

Q: Does that mean we (NA players) will be unable to earn the rewards from this season?  There are special styles and a reward tank available.
A: We are now working overtime on creating an alternative for NA players to earn those rewards.  We will make sure all players have a chance to earn them.

Sorry about this one Tankers, we aren't any happier about it than you are.  Details on the alternative TBA ASAP.

CM

Gothraul #2 Posted May 17 2019 - 17:23

Major

• -Players-
  • 2330 battles
I feel for you guys having to put in overtime to get things done but I do hope that the reqs to earn rewards are pretty straight forward and hopefully not mega grinds. Will people still have the opportunity to earn the reward tank that is intended for this mode?

Ortinoth_ #3 Posted May 17 2019 - 17:30

Captain

• Players
  • 27055 battles
i am not even sure what to write here but - I am very very very disappointed as i was looking forward to the changes in the Ranked Season and to test my skill vs others. TBH i doubt the alternative will be as good as ranked seasons are for me, but we shall see what NA office can do. 

bravo9er #4 Posted May 17 2019 - 17:32

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 24015 battles
Can we transfer our account to EU?  I really think it's time that becomes an option.

RedAlert2010 #5 Posted May 17 2019 - 17:41

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 20497 battles
  • [CYNIC] CYNIC

View Postbravo9er, on May 17 2019 - 16:32, said:

Can we transfer our account to EU?  I really think it's time that becomes an option.

can you feck, they won't even allow the Europeans a chance to transfer and they ignore their thread: http://forum.worldoftanks.com/index.php?/topic/552671-world-of-tanks-pc-americas-server-merge-faq/page__st__1460#topmost <-----dont expect an answer anywhere to this question.

In actuality, we should be allowed a transfer now, most of us are paying for what is essentially a sub-par product compared to the EU version, yet its the same damn game. Even when asking questions we get no reply, so i aint holding my breath for an "Alternative" to Ranked Battles.

We all know Ranked was cancelled because this server is FECKING dead, as in its basically the parrot in a monty python sketch now.

Edited by RedAlert2010, May 17 2019 - 17:42.

Ashock #6 Posted May 17 2019 - 17:43

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 17879 battles

View Postbravo9er, on May 17 2019 - 08:32, said:

I'd be all for that, but I have a feeling that the ping is going to make it a less than pleasant experience.

YANKEE137 #7 Posted May 17 2019 - 17:43

Major

• -Players-
  • 13239 battles
  • [6-ACR] 6-ACR

The elephant in the room is the viability of the NA server. It hardly matters for a poor player such as myself, but for top players who thrive on competition-and especially those paying for premium accounts- to not be treated as well as the Russian and Euro players is a real kick in the teeth.

NA (and APAC) are now junior servers, we're the kids' table.

CynicalDutchie #8 Posted May 17 2019 - 17:45

Major

• Players
  • 41799 battles
  • [CYNIC] CYNIC

View Postbravo9er, on May 17 2019 - 17:32, said:

^this, it is taking way longer than it should. At least allow us Europeans to transfer our accounts, starting over really isn't an option for most of us.

Striker_70 #9 Posted May 17 2019 - 17:46

Major

• Players
  • 19684 battles
Can we at least use our NA tanks to play Ranked on the EU server?  Ranked is my favorite game mode.

El__Sanx #10 Posted May 17 2019 - 17:47

Corporal

• Players
  • 28809 battles
Ranked battles was the only game mode I looked forward to, as it offered a chance for good single players to prove their skills away of the crappy random teams. Frontline is fun but playing the same map over and over gets old pretty quick. Clan battles are a competitive but pretty stressful mode because of the internal drama and unreliable clan members. Random game modes are just a chore while grinding for the next tank in line, but once you unlocked the Tier X theres nothing else to keep looking foward to.

For me, Ranked battles provided a chance to play Tier X tanks with a clear goal, good rewards, and a competitive atmosphere, something like an endgame mode that WoT lacks. Since  last season I really put effort into grinding many tank lines so I could play them in Ranked, like the Progetto 65 or the T-100 light tank for example. What's the point of having those tanks now if the only thing I can do with them is bleeding credits in Randoms? (Don't tell me Clan Battles are an option: if a tank doesn't fit with the current meta, it's useless in CW).

Without Ranked Battles my interest in this game, which was already deacreasing, really took a nosedive. If a major game mode that was so publicized get axed because a lack of players, it's truly a sign that the game is dying, at least in NA. I won't be spending any money in this game for now on.

Edited by El__Sanx, May 17 2019 - 17:59.

atila_xD #11 Posted May 17 2019 - 17:53

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 7791 battles
  • [200IQ] 200IQ
Quite unfortunate, was looking to have competitive play in tier 10 without getting my team rolled constantly, ranked was a great way to train yourself to become aware of certain scenarios. Quite unfortunate, once next campaign hits, the whole server will have chieftains, i mean ranked was gonna be like 50% of em per team but next time it will be hell. I see it breaking MM next big campaign but reward tank hurrr durr no nerf 

Edited by atila_xD, May 17 2019 - 17:53.

lenticular #12 Posted May 17 2019 - 17:53

Captain

• Players
  • 41424 battles
  • [SLAPM] SLAPM

Block Quote

we found that excessive queue times would lead to an unpleasant experience for NA players.

I don't see any way to interpret this other than the player base is too shallow to support more than one or two non-random battle modes simultaneously. :(

Shibadogdog #13 Posted May 17 2019 - 17:53

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 51331 battles
  • [DPS] DPS

View PostAshock, on May 17 2019 - 10:43, said:

I'd be all for that, but I have a feeling that the ping is going to make it a less than pleasant experience.

You would be surprised, I have a EU account and though the ping is around 140 it's very stable I don't ever seem to get any rubber banding or spikes.

VonStaufen #14 Posted May 17 2019 - 17:56

Captain

• -Players-
  • 5601 battles
  • [NOBA] NOBA
oh yea... I want to transfer to the EU server!! Why would I keep playing in a server that doesn't give the whole package for my money? I want transfer NOW.

FatFreddiesCat #15 Posted May 17 2019 - 17:58

Sergeant

• Players
  • 40187 battles
  • [T_K_O] T_K_O

Despondent.
Like many others have stated, it's the only mode I really enjoy. It is to all effect, the only true skill based MM game mode.

Reading between the lines it infers it's an issue with NA and since population appears to be the main differentiator. That's a shame if so. Nothing we can do about that.
It does bring in some legitimacy for being able to transfer accounts to a server that we can play it on.

Cabbage, are there plans for it to return to NA or is that now an unlikely option?

bravo9er #16 Posted May 17 2019 - 18:00

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 24015 battles

View PostAshock, on May 17 2019 - 09:43, said:

We just got 1 Gig fiber internet in our city, and my ping is now amazingly rock steady 140 ms to EU1, absolutely no ping spikes.... whereas before when I had standard DSL, it was 190 with lots of ping spikes.  It's now quite playable.

Again, I think it's time they allowed us to transfer the account, or even better, make NA part of the EU cluster.  They have one of the RU cluster in EU, so EU players can essentially play in RU, so I don't see why they can't merge NA and EU.   NA Central don't go away, it just becomes EU4 or something like that.

daangerous #17 Posted May 17 2019 - 18:05

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 14411 battles
  • [9-PDH] 9-PDH
Please let us transfer servers now. I am an EU player and we have bad ping here. Now we also can't play ranked here on NA?

RedAlert2010 #18 Posted May 17 2019 - 18:06

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 20497 battles
  • [CYNIC] CYNIC

View Postbravo9er, on May 17 2019 - 17:00, said:

We just got 1 Gig fiber internet in our city, and my ping is now amazingly rock steady 140 ms to EU1, absolutely no ping spikes.... whereas before when I had standard DSL, it was 190 with lots of ping spikes.  It's now quite playable.

Again, I think it's time they allowed us to transfer the account, or at the very least, make NA part of the EU cluster.  They have one of the RU cluster in EU, so RU players can essentially play in EU, so I don't see why they can't merge NA and EU.   NA Central don't go away, it just becomes EU4 or something like that.

there are only 2 EU servers?

So this is a Q&A thread, how about answering the question: Can we transfer to the EU in light of this sh1tsh0w ??

Edited by RedAlert2010, May 17 2019 - 18:06.

CabbageMechanic #19 Posted May 17 2019 - 18:07

Senior Community Manager

• Administrator
  • 9062 battles
  • [WGA] WGA
Thanks for your feedback guys, some follow ups:

Lots of People

EU Server Transfers

Same answer as it's been, there is a feature planned for transfers/roaming but it is behind things like Premium Ammo and Tech Tree rebalances on the Dev roadmap

FatFreddiesCat

Cabbage, are there plans for it to return to NA or is that now an unlikely option?

We will continue to test new versions and if/when we get one that will provide a good experience it will come back.  The old RB would have worked but the new one places a lot more demand on Matchmaker, we will continue to develop and find a compromise that works.

RedAlert2010 #20 Posted May 17 2019 - 18:08

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 20497 battles
  • [CYNIC] CYNIC

View PostCabbageMechanic, on May 17 2019 - 17:07, said:

Same answer as it's been, there is a feature planned for transfers/roaming but it is behind things like Premium Ammo and Tech Tree rebalances on the Dev roadmap

so maybe the roaming/transfers should be be moved forward? as it stands, right now, you are going to have an empty server. 

Show this thread to the DEV's or someone with power in Minsk and tell them, everyone is getting annoyed by it now.

Edited by RedAlert2010, May 17 2019 - 18:11.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users