• Please log in to reply
329 replies to this topic

CynicalDutchie #21 Posted May 17 2019 - 18:09

Major

• Players
  • 41890 battles
  • [CYNIC] CYNIC

View PostCabbageMechanic, on May 17 2019 - 18:07, said:

Same answer as it's been, there is a feature planned for transfers/roaming but it is behind things like Premium Ammo and Tech Tree rebalances on the Dev roadmap

We already had server transfers before though so why can't they just allow one of those transfer events to EU? Or do you mean there is some kind of feature planned that would allow server transfers at will?

CabbageMechanic #22 Posted May 17 2019 - 18:10

Senior Community Manager

• Administrator
  • 9068 battles
  • [WGA] WGA

View PostCynicalDutchie, on May 17 2019 - 09:09, said:

We already had server transfers before though so why can't they just allow one of those transfer events to EU? Or do you mean there is some kind of feature planned that would allow server transfers at will?

That server transfer is what lead to the realization that further ones were not practical until a better technical solution is built.  There is a roadmap item to either build a transfer tool or incorporate server roaming (so you could play on NA account on EU server for example - not sure which direction until devs start working and determining which path is better), but this will take time and resources like anything else.

Edited by CabbageMechanic, May 17 2019 - 18:12.

MJR_Tom_ #23 Posted May 17 2019 - 18:11

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 13861 battles
  • [ICB] ICB
This is total B.S., if given the option of last years system, which was fine, or none at all I think we would of all said yes to last years system.  Not everyone is into grinding their lives away, we have jobs and a life, in Front Line so please don't use that as an excuse too.  The ranked battles is a mode I and I'm sure a lot of other players look forward to and to just say never mind is a bit of a slight.  

daangerous #24 Posted May 17 2019 - 18:14

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 14415 battles
  • [9-PDH] 9-PDH

View PostCabbageMechanic, on May 17 2019 - 18:10, said:

That server transfer is what lead to the realization that further ones were not practical until a better technical solution is built.  There is a roadmap item to either build a transfer tool or incorporate server roaming (so you could play on NA account on EU server for example - not sure which direction until devs start working and determining which path is better), but this will take time and resources like anything else.

A lot of people here on the NA server (And I am sure the other servers as well) are stuck on the server they started playing on. Why is this a low priority?! It has been years of complaining and we get ignored (see the merge of the American servers) or told it is "being discussed".

WhatDoesAggroMean #25 Posted May 17 2019 - 18:14

Corporal

• Players
  • 18735 battles
  • [ALERT] ALERT
A broken but working system is better than no system at all. Everyone would understand "cancelling the new system because it doesn't work very well in a low population server base like NA or APAC. We're rolling back to the old ranked battle season template and will work to find a balance with ranked battles on NA or APAC. This server is losing players because you guys have been shrugging off low end to average players, now you just gave a middle finger to the most loyal players on the server, the better than average to unicum players. 

Tiltuss #26 Posted May 17 2019 - 18:16

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 23180 battles

This is very disappointing.  I really enjoyed ranked battles and it was a primary source of bonds for my account.  When can we expect to hear about a way to still earn those bonds?

BlackFive #27 Posted May 17 2019 - 18:19

Major

• Players
  • 34523 battles
  • [_E_] _E_

View PostCabbageMechanic, on May 17 2019 - 17:18, said:

Hey Tankers,

As many of you have seen by now, the next season of Ranked Battles has been canceled on the NA server.  This was an unpleasant decision and not one we made lightly.

Q: Why are you canceling Ranked Battles?
A: After testing the structure of the new ranked system, we found that excessive queue times would lead to an unpleasant experience for NA players.

Q: Is Ranked Battles canceled everywhere?
A: Only in NA and APAC, they will continue normally on CIS and EU.  The new version of Ranked Battles has a dramatically increased rank spread, which increased demand on MM.

Q: Couldn't you just run last year's system?
A: Dissatisfaction with the previous iteration is what lead to the creation of the new one, and the old one is no longer viable.  We tested a number of tweaks to make it suitable for our region but none lead to a suitable compromise.  We made the decision to not offer a suboptimal version of the mode and instead to focus on a fully realized version for the next iteration.

Q: Why did you make a system that doesn't work in some regions?
A: Our development team was focused on completely revamping ranked battles to make a better experience for everyone, taking into account player feedback from previous seasons.  Ultimately these changes, while positive for a design perspective, created unexpected issues when tested on NA and APAC servers.

Q: Does that mean we (NA players) will be unable to earn the rewards from this season?  There are special styles and a reward tank available.
A: We are now working overtime on creating an alternative for NA players to earn those rewards.  We will make sure all players have a chance to earn them.

Sorry about this one Tankers, we aren't any happier about it than you are.  Details on the alternative TBA ASAP.

CM

One of the most complete - and appreciated customer service announcements in a long time!

> Thank you guys for your efforts!

VonStaufen #28 Posted May 17 2019 - 18:19

Captain

• -Players-
  • 5869 battles
  • [NOBA] NOBA

View Postdaangerous, on May 17 2019 - 14:14, said:

A lot of people here on the NA server (And I am sure the other servers as well) are stuck on the server they started playing on. Why is this a low priority?! It has been years of complaining and we get ignored (see the merge of the American servers) or told it is "being discussed".

"being discussed"; "soon"; "looking into it" means "probably not". Everybody knows that.

Insanefriend #29 Posted May 17 2019 - 18:21

Captain

• Players
  • 44331 battles

Any chance that mm could be changed for ranked battles to help it be less of a problem for ranked battles?

I know from last ranked season the problem was that mm tries to match tank type and player rank by team.  So once you started to get to the higher ranks, your queue time started to take awhile unless you played one of the meta tanks.  Would it be possible to disable tank type matching for the mm, past say what ever the bronze league was/is so a player would need to deal with mismatched teams of tank types at higher ranks?  I'm talking about the matching mm currently does to match auto loader to auto loader and super heavy to super heavy or medium to medium.  This would allow faster queue time and make it so the higher ranked more adaptive players see more variation in the game.

I know I for one am sadden by the loss of ranked, I found it to be super challenging when at higher ranks any misplay would get you vaporized.

Edited by Insanefriend, May 17 2019 - 18:22.

Havocfive #30 Posted May 17 2019 - 18:22

Private

• Players
  • 11744 battles
  • [FERDA] FERDA
They won't give us NA>EU server transfers because of the money they still make off this game from NA players. Even if the servers were merged, a number of NA players do not have great internet speeds to keep low and consistent pint to the EU. Those players will leave, and along with them, their wallets. WG will keep NA locked down until it is bled dry and then allow the last remaining players to transfer. 

crasta #31 Posted May 17 2019 - 18:26

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 7239 battles

View PostMJR_Tom_, on May 17 2019 - 18:11, said:

This is total B.S., if given the option of last years system, which was fine, or none at all I think we would of all said yes to last years system.  Not everyone is into grinding their lives away, we have jobs and a life, in Front Line so please don't use that as an excuse too.  The ranked battles is a mode I and I'm sure a lot of other players look forward to and to just say never mind is a bit of a slight.  

The problem is they have already rolled out the new software. They would have to create another software build to incorporate the old version. This would entail  going through all regression testing etc. Its not like they can just flip a switch and the old version is back in.

In short they rolled software out that they cannot support on NA. They  messed up.

RedAlert2010 #32 Posted May 17 2019 - 18:27

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 20497 battles
  • [CYNIC] CYNIC

View PostCabbageMechanic, on May 17 2019 - 17:10, said:

Honestly, and i mean this all the way, it feels like we are being punished for playing on this Server - We have seen: The Grand Battles Fiasco, The Front Lines Fiasco, Ranked Battles now, and we, prolly the more loyal of the NA base (long term players, spent ALOT of money, maybe been here longer than you have had the job) feels like a huge punishment after punishment now, which i can promise you, makes alot of us want to stop playing.

Why can WG not take this server seriously? we want to be heard, but, we feel unheard constantly.

MJR_Tom_ #33 Posted May 17 2019 - 18:27

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 13861 battles
  • [ICB] ICB

View PostCabbageMechanic, on May 17 2019 - 18:07, said:

Thanks for your feedback guys, some follow ups:

Same answer as it's been, there is a feature planned for transfers/roaming but it is behind things like Premium Ammo and Tech Tree rebalances on the Dev roadmap

We will continue to test new versions and if/when we get one that will provide a good experience it will come back.  The old RB would have worked but the new one places a lot more demand on Matchmaker, we will continue to develop and find a compromise that works.

Something is better than nothing in this case but we all know you'll do the war gaming special which is a big fat nothing

GWyatt #34 Posted May 17 2019 - 18:29

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 3835 battles
  • [VAN] VAN

Q: Couldn't you just run last year's system?
A: Dissatisfaction with the previous iteration is what lead to the creation of the new one, and the old one is no longer viable.  We tested a number of tweaks to make it suitable for our region but none lead to a suitable compromise.  We made the decision to not offer a suboptimal version of the mode and instead to focus on a fully realized version for the next iteration.

Reading this says that this a case where changes were made based on the player base's suggestions to make the mode better. Unfortunately in doing so you ended with an undesirable result. Hopefully they can get a compromise by next year.

JustLeroy #35 Posted May 17 2019 - 18:31

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 12246 battles

View PostAshock, on May 17 2019 - 10:43, said:

I'd be all for that, but I have a feeling that the ping is going to make it a less than pleasant experience.

I don't know about that. I live in Texas, and I get about the same pings to EU1 as to USC, between 100 and 300 ms. And the connection to EU1 is more stable for me (meaning I get disconnected less often than on the USC server). 

Ziutx #36 Posted May 17 2019 - 18:32

Corporal

• Players
  • 33373 battles
  • [WOAH7] WOAH7

View PostCabbageMechanic, on May 17 2019 - 19:10, said:

This is such a bad excuse I'm at loss for words... So NA staff just ignored people from Africa and Europe who were negatively affected by the server merge, because it was not practical to transfer them as promised? Why even mention the possibility of transfers for them then?

Second anniversary of this forum topic is coming soon http://forum.worldof...rver-merge-faq/

13Disciple #37 Posted May 17 2019 - 18:34

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 24004 battles
  • [-G-] -G-

Thanks for the short Q&A cabbage. The article left some questions, but you've answered most in the thread post here.

I don't find the loss of ranked as tragic as many have stated as long as we still get access to the bonds and tank rewards. Ranked was the best way to help your bonds balance.

I appreciate that the NA team is looking at what is coming and anticipating player fatigue and whether the server population could accommodate it. I am disappointed to see ranked not coming back, but relieved that I don't have to put so much effort into grinding it. When you have more on the alternative to the bonds and rewards tanks/camo please let us know!

Thanks for being transparent.

FatFreddiesCat #38 Posted May 17 2019 - 18:39

Sergeant

• Players
  • 40364 battles
  • [T_K_O] T_K_O

So basically they developed a better Ranked program but it most likely requires a certain population for it to be effective. Below that population you run into long wait times which in turn makes it a bad user experience. The NA server it appears falls below the minimum and they pulled the plug on it. Understandable but severely disappointing.

Cabbage, understand that the dev road map "is what it is" however given this obvious unforeseen roadblock and the bad faith it will no doubt bring with the NA players like myself who really look forward to this mode can you lobby the powers that be to accelerate NA access to a RB available server like the EU?

Sure, premium ammo et al is important but this appears to be something that wont be resolved and is a pretty big issue given how many played it last release.

Sure, we are a minor server in the big WG picture but we have feelings too :)

eraser1 #39 Posted May 17 2019 - 18:45

Sergeant

• Players
  • 19301 battles
  • [RELIC] RELIC

View Post13Disciple, on May 17 2019 - 11:34, said:

I don't find the loss of ranked as tragic as many have stated as long as we still get access to the bonds and tank rewards.

I can tell you right now that if the way to get access to the "bonds and tank rewards" is through some pubby grinds, a lot of people are not gonna get it.

Really, the biggest issue in the first place is that ranked is a completely different atmosphere from random battles:

1) There was a strong incentive to play for the win. Sure, you still have people who try to sit in the back and farm, but it's a risk because if the team starts winning quickly, they may not get enough XP.

2) There is WAY less arty. Especially at the middle ranks. It is so nice.

3) As you grind up the ranks (especially early on), you see the average player skill rise. If you're like me and stay at the top of the pack as soon as ranked starts, you will find that in a couple days, it's almost exclusively good players in your matches. This significantly affects how the matches play out, and provides a very interesting and challenging experience.

Volkbane #40 Posted May 17 2019 - 18:46

Sergeant

• Players
  • 23096 battles
  • [I-N-C] I-N-C
Thank you for this thread. Unfortunately, this situation is bound to cause fear, uncertainty, and doubt about wot's future, at least in our region. And I mean beyond the usual calls of "this game is dying" that are the background radiation of any online game. I'm sure it can't be good for sales, since even I am reflecting on my spending habits in those terms. Hopefully more can be done to bring in new players or entice the old players back.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users