Match maker system "improvement"

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

LTGenGeorgePattonJr #1 Posted May 18 2019 - 20:21

Corporal

• Players
  • 29100 battles

once again the MM system is changed and once again it the changes continue to worsen the experience.  2 years ago a switch to 3-5-7 did 3 things:

1. increased the number of matches u are fighting units 2 tiers higher from 37%-41% to between 50%- 58% (and for my purchased 131 its even worse at 60%).

2. decreased the number of even tier matches from 28%-33% to 12% to 20%. (and virtually eliminated battles where u could shoot at units 2 tiers lower)

3. increased the number of blowout matches from 38.7% for wins and losses combined to 51% in losses alone

now the new change comes along and helps the tier issue but has done nothing for to chance the blowout loss battles.  last 5 days 50 battles 28 blowout losses and yet only 1 blowout win

i would note that I also play world of warships and its MM rarely has a battle that ends up in blowout match 

so a question for the devs ... why would you expect anyone to pay to play the game or buy tanks etc in a game where you are guaranteed a blow out loss in every other battle you are in?

redjkent #2 Posted May 18 2019 - 20:32

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 89241 battles
  • [Y2KBB] Y2KBB
you get top tier way more now, tier 8s dont see tens much anymore so how can you say that the changes havent been good, also seeing alot of same tier battles thats a big change

FrozenKemp #3 Posted May 18 2019 - 20:41

Major

• Players
  • 51378 battles
Since I assssume both matchmakers do not use skill balancing that should tell you something. i.e. the game dynamics create blowout battles, not abnormally bad teams.

Gurdy2383 #4 Posted May 18 2019 - 20:46

Captain

• Players
  • 50481 battles

View PostLTGenGeorgePattonJr, on May 18 2019 - 12:21, said:

once again the MM system is changed and once again it the changes continue to worsen the experience.  2 years ago a switch to 3-5-7 did 3 things:

1. increased the number of matches u are fighting units 2 tiers higher from 37%-41% to between 50%- 58% (and for my purchased 131 its even worse at 60%).

2. decreased the number of even tier matches from 28%-33% to 12% to 20%. (and virtually eliminated battles where u could shoot at units 2 tiers lower)

3. increased the number of blowout matches from 38.7% for wins and losses combined to 51% in losses alone

now the new change comes along and helps the tier issue but has done nothing for to chance the blowout loss battles.  last 5 days 50 battles 28 blowout losses and yet only 1 blowout win

i would note that I also play world of warships and its MM rarely has a battle that ends up in blowout match 

so a question for the devs ... why would you expect anyone to pay to play the game or buy tanks etc in a game where you are guaranteed a blow out loss in every other battle you are in?

​You do realize when you are two tiers down there's somebody else that's 2 tiers up, right? You do realize that when you lose in a blow out loss there's another team that won that match, right? You write this post as if you're the only player in these matches.

I mean you even state in point 1 that 2 tier spread matches were increased to as high 58% of the time, and then immediately in point 2 you say that they were all but eliminated. 

Edited by Gurdy2383, May 18 2019 - 21:06.

Garandster #5 Posted May 18 2019 - 20:57

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 5671 battles
Blowouts have always been a thing, they happen even in clan wars with highly skilled players on each side. They happen when a team loses a tank causing a cascade if the team fails to be able to pull back from it and turn the match around. I see them no more now than before, actually with the increase in same tier and +1/-1 matches, it feels easier to prevent/fight them them now that the number of +2/-2 matches have decreased since losing a top tier in a two tier spread is more devastating to pull back from that losing a top tier in a one tier spread or losing a tank in a same tier match.

DrWho_ #6 Posted May 18 2019 - 21:14

Major

• -Players-
  • 21218 battles
I would have preferred fewer blowouts but at least the revised MM is giving me fewer matches I'm -2 and I feel I can contribute more as a result. That has improved my gaming experience quite a bit and I'm quite pleased with the results so far as far as that goes

cavalry11 #7 Posted May 18 2019 - 21:26

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 48221 battles
  • [11BAT] 11BAT
MM is much better

LTGenGeorgePattonJr #8 Posted May 18 2019 - 21:34

Corporal

• Players
  • 29100 battles

apparently ppl don't bother reading the whole post.... first i state:

"now the new change comes along and helps the tier issue" so yes redjkent i have stated their is improvement.

second the ppl in my battles after the 3/5/7 who were 2 tiers higher still all complain that the particular battle is the first even tier battle they have been in that particular day and that they they are few and far btwn (unless of course they tier IX or X units)

third the issue isn't just blow out losses its all blow outs..... they are not fun for anyone win or lose and take away from the game ... an actual battle which i qualify as the losing team getting at least 10 kills is so much more fun even on the losing side and keeps ppl actually wanting to play the game. heck even a battle with 7-9 kills  for the losing team can be go either way can be a good hard fought battle with the cascading effect making it not look close or it could be just another totally clueless team that would have been a blowout without 1 person on the losing team keeping it from being a blowout

Exiledcrow #9 Posted May 18 2019 - 21:39

Major

• Players
  • 48952 battles
  • [GURUS] GURUS

Blow outs are NOT an MM problem. And I DO NOT believe they are any more common than they've ever been. Unless you have the data to prove differently, and you'd be the first.

Flarvin #10 Posted May 18 2019 - 21:47

Major

• Players
  • 53845 battles

View PostExiledcrow, on May 18 2019 - 15:39, said:

Blow outs are NOT an MM problem. And I DO NOT believe they are any more common than they've ever been. Unless you have the data to prove differently, and you'd be the first.

I agree. 

If you truly want to reduce blowouts, then try to get WG to add respawning to WoT random battles. Or some dynamic generally rng modifier for teams, that helps losing team and hurts the winning team. 

SargeanTravis #11 Posted May 18 2019 - 22:07

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 2435 battles
  • [FUBU] FUBU

View PostLTGenGeorgePattonJr, on May 18 2019 - 20:21, said:

"Improved MM" and "worse" in the same sentence? Now that's something you don't hear every day right now

EDIT: Im pretty sure mods are only allowed to use red font, dumb that it's there, but this is WG, they aren't perfect the first time on

Edited by SargeanTravis, May 18 2019 - 22:08.

TrevorsT112 #12 Posted May 18 2019 - 22:33

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 9104 battles
  • [MSFIT] MSFIT

View PostLTGenGeorgePattonJr, on May 18 2019 - 21:34, said:

apparently ppl don't bother reading the whole post.... first i state:

"now the new change comes along and helps the tier issue" so yes redjkent i have stated their is improvement.

second the ppl in my battles after the 3/5/7 who were 2 tiers higher still all complain that the particular battle is the first even tier battle they have been in that particular day and that they they are few and far btwn (unless of course they tier IX or X units)

third the issue isn't just blow out losses its all blow outs..... they are not fun for anyone win or lose and take away from the game ... an actual battle which i qualify as the losing team getting at least 10 kills is so much more fun even on the losing side and keeps ppl actually wanting to play the game. heck even a battle with 7-9 kills  for the losing team can be go either way can be a good hard fought battle with the cascading effect making it not look close or it could be just another totally clueless team that would have been a blowout without 1 person on the losing team keeping it from being a blowout

I really get what you are saying, and I know how things can appear at times, but blowout matches have very little to do with the matchmaker when teams are balanced, unless we are discussing the actual players it assigns to each team. Long loosing streaks are not easy to take, especially when they include a lot of blowout matches. But if anyone wanted to discuss possible ways to reduce, or limit blowout matches, my bet would be anything that could improve team play. I would be willing to wager that if teams were made up of platoons of 2 to 3 tanks each using coordinated team play, the number of blowout matches would decrease dramatically. On the flip side of this, my feeling is that WG is trying to find ways to keep the game appealing to as many people as possible, and I like a lot of the recent changes they have instituted. Is it perfect, no. Have the recent changes improved my experience, a resounding yes.

LTGenGeorgePattonJr #13 Posted May 18 2019 - 22:58

Corporal

• Players
  • 29100 battles
yes Exiledcrow i do have the DATA to prove it ..... i am a grognard (reformed) at heart and have spreadsheets tracking my battle wins losses tiers and blowouts going back to when i started the game yeas ago

Exiledcrow #14 Posted May 18 2019 - 23:03

Major

• Players
  • 48952 battles
  • [GURUS] GURUS

View PostLTGenGeorgePattonJr, on May 18 2019 - 22:58, said:

yes Exiledcrow i do have the DATA to prove it ..... i am a grognard (reformed) at heart and have spreadsheets tracking my battle wins losses tiers and blowouts going back to when i started the game yeas ago

I don't see any.

And they'd only be yours, which I'm not sure is a statistically valid sample.  But either way, since they're, as yet, not in evidence: NO DATA. Good news though, anytime you want to provide it, I'm sure the community would love to dig into it.

redjkent #15 Posted May 19 2019 - 00:24

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 89241 battles
  • [Y2KBB] Y2KBB
this game mode is called random, anything can happen i am not for skill based match making and like the random battles as they way they are, blowouts happen just play another tank and not worry about it

NeatoMan #16 Posted May 19 2019 - 12:29

Major

• Players
  • 27768 battles
It may be true that you are in more battles where there is a tank two tiers higher, but there are less of them in battle, so overall you are facing fewer tier+2 tanks than in the old MM.  The change to the MM has made it so we face fewer tier+2 and tier-2 tanks, and more same tier tanks

Crimson_Saber #17 Posted May 19 2019 - 12:47

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 16190 battles
Blowouts are the result of your team taking advantage of an opening. Long games are the result of your team not being proactive enough to spot openings in time to make the best of them.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users