Chinese Type 59 Seems a Hollow Crown

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Ebonsilk #1 Posted May 19 2019 - 18:33

Sergeant

• Players
  • 29540 battles
During the retro 0.7.0 event I managed to try out the Type 59.  From what I understand, the Type 59 was nerfed sometime during the period between 0.7.0 to today's current release.  The Type 59 though fun was no Jedi with a lightsaber versus a pack of stormtroopers.  Also since then, there have been a number of tanks, both regular and premium, that grossly overshadow the Type 59 at Tier 8.  Insomuch as new vehicles have seemingly eclipsed and outmoded the Type 59, is it still the tank everyone strives for in high-achievement competitions or is it just a 'feather in the cap' tank that one plays for giggles?  Its seems that given the slow obsolescence of this rig, a better, more competitive premium needs to be introduced as a high-prize tank and the 59 put out to pasture in the Premium Shop.  Not that I'd buy it if it were.  I'm just seeing this tank as the 'carrot' on some of these competitions and I get the feeling its like handing someone a Honda Accord for winning the LeMans Grand Prix.

the_dude_76 #2 Posted May 19 2019 - 20:04

Major

• Players
  • 33377 battles
  • [GSRM] GSRM
It's called the "hype" 59 for a reason...

death_stryker #3 Posted May 19 2019 - 21:11

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 4575 battles
  • [LUCID] LUCID

View PostEbonsilk, on May 19 2019 - 10:33, said:

a better, more competitive premium needs to be introduced as a high-prize tank

And here is the crux of the issue. The Type 59 isn't even a bad tank, but just because it's no Defender or Progetto 46, it's not good enough for you. I hope you can see for yourself why this kind of attitude is horrible for the longevity of the game.

You clearly have no clue about the history of the Type 59, and why it is so coveted by many players. In short, the tank's rarity, as well as its souvenir status, make it a highly desirable collector's tank. If you are not somewhat of a tank collector or a veteran of the Type 59's heyday, there is indeed little value in it for you.

Ebonsilk #4 Posted May 19 2019 - 22:03

Sergeant

• Players
  • 29540 battles

View Postdeath_stryker, on May 19 2019 - 21:11, said:

And here is the crux of the issue. The Type 59 isn't even a bad tank, but just because it's no Defender or Progetto 46, it's not good enough for you. I hope you can see for yourself why this kind of attitude is horrible for the longevity of the game.

You clearly have no clue about the history of the Type 59, and why it is so coveted by many players. In short, the tank's rarity, as well as its souvenir status, make it a highly desirable collector's tank. If you are not somewhat of a tank collector or a veteran of the Type 59's heyday, there is indeed little value in it for you.

The longevity of the game is keeping paying interest in the game.  No company stays in business on esoteric aesthetics of good game play; it requires revenue in the form of cash flow.  Keeping obsolete outmoded tanks as prize vehicles does NOT generate interest, far from it, it makes those that already have this tank less interested in competing and those that don't have it wondering why they'd put so much effort into something that has seen its star descend.  If the Type 59 is the reward for a difficult achievement, I'm not going to bother.  If I get bored, I'll take my money and go play War Thunder.  WGN needs to revisit this outmoded old rig and replace it with something more people will strive to attain.

Harvester_0f_Sorrow #5 Posted May 19 2019 - 22:54

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 25544 battles
  • [-U-M-] -U-M-
Well you cant just charge in and expect to be bulletproof lol. I see people do this all the time and just facepalm. You have to play its strengths, I do not have one but I wish I did man.

Nutzo #6 Posted May 20 2019 - 17:39

Corporal

• Players
  • 47629 battles
  • [K-BBQ] K-BBQ

Hype 59 was from a time where preferential meant something, it's a average medium nowadays and other than bringing it out to show off it's really nothing special

FastForward7 #7 Posted May 21 2019 - 05:08

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 11090 battles

View PostNutzo, on May 20 2019 - 17:39, said:

Hype 59 was from a time where preferential meant something, it's a average medium nowadays and other than bringing it out to show off it's really nothing special

While I don't own one (I sort of wish I would have bought one) this makes sense. I hardly ever see them anymore, and I play tiers 7-9 almost exclusively. If there were out there in any numbers, I'd be bumping into them regularly. If the Type-59 were still part of today's meta, it would be played. It's probably been the victim of power creep, like everything else from the early days.

Ape_Drape #8 Posted Jun 10 2019 - 17:43

Captain

• Players
  • 42778 battles
  • [SOT] SOT

View PostFastForward7, on May 21 2019 - 05:08, said:

While I don't own one (I sort of wish I would have bought one) this makes sense. I hardly ever see them anymore, and I play tiers 7-9 almost exclusively. If there were out there in any numbers, I'd be bumping into them regularly. If the Type-59 were still part of today's meta, it would be played. It's probably been the victim of power creep, like everything else from the early days.

It's not just a victim of power creep, it got an [edited]whoopin with the nerf bat first.

favrepeoria #9 Posted Jun 12 2019 - 03:47

Captain

• Players
  • 31091 battles
  • [RATM] RATM
I bring it out in frontlines but it really is only worthwhile as credit grinder. It is about equal to a T-44. It just isn’t made as a tier 8.5 like the more recent vehicles. This was a legit tier 8 at a time when pref mm 8s were tier 7.5.

Xumos #10 Posted Jun 12 2019 - 19:24

Sergeant

• Players
  • 36294 battles
With the changes to the match maker, preferred match making seems quite a bit less valuable. When I play my pref. mm tanks they just feel like nerfed T8s with little to no advantages in random battles. Keep in mind you still meet T9s, which in my opinion are T10s with one or two low attributes. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users